Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 11:36   #12346
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Check out this comparison between iPhone 11 pro and Canon DSLR.

Old 28th October 2019, 17:20   #12347
Senior - BHPian

I got my 11 Pro Max on 22nd October, the phone is superb and the camera is absolutely true to life. Dusk and night photographs are brilliant. The Note 10 plus in comparison makes the images brighter and hence not true to life.

I have a peculiar problem and sadly am unable to use the phone any further. Luckily I still have my Note 10 plus or it would have been a double whammy.

In two days, my eyes were swollen and burning. Looking at the screen made me recoil. I thought maybe it's a case of sore eyes or some infection. Did a quick check on Google and found a very small percentage of the population could have this issue due to PWM or pulse width modulation of the OLED screen. It's essentially the flickering of the screen in the background when brightness is less than half. Using the screen on full brightness is not the solution. Some have reported headaches as well due to this. I stopped using the Pro Max and the problem has gone.

I hope no one faces this issue, but if you do, please stop usage of the phone as it can suppossedly seriously damage the retina.

I believe there is no practical work around except not to use OLED screens for the affected.

Ideas/suggestions/discussion welcome.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 28th October 2019 at 17:23.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:13   #12348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
In two days, my eyes were swollen and burning. Looking at the screen made me recoil. I thought maybe it's a case of sore eyes or some infection. Did a quick check on Google and found a very small percentage of the population could have this issue due to PWM or pulse width modulation of the OLED screen. It's essentially the flickering of the screen in the background when brightness is less than half. Using the screen on full brightness is not the solution. Some have reported headaches as well due to this. I stopped using the Pro Max and the problem has gone.
WOW this is the first I have heard in this regard. Is it possible that Apple would have ignored this aspect before releasing it in the market? Highly unlikely. However even if this would impact a small population, Apple should have come with a disclaimer! Lets see in the coming days how many such instances gets reported...
Old 29th October 2019, 11:59   #12349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Lets see in the coming days how many such instances gets reported...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...train.2198923/

Check the link above, you will find more if you do a google search.

Possibly at least in the US, vendors must have been given instructions in the event anyone complains of medical issues with the Pro or Pro Max to quietly take the return and refund or replace with whatever the customer wants. They wouldn't want any litigation on this.

In India

Cheers
Old 29th October 2019, 12:10   #12350
BHPian

The new AirPods Pro in India is priced at ₹24990. That’s just ridiculous considering the international price of 249USD is already high. I don’t see any value in the product.

₹3000 more, we can get the fastest android phones. Apple even sells an iPad at the same price. I was thinking 12k for Airpod 1st gen was a bit expensive and was actually waiting for the new Airpods for the black colour option. But this is just insane out of the world pricing.
Old 29th October 2019, 13:01   #12351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The new AirPods Pro in India is priced at ₹24990. That’s just ridiculous considering the international price of 249USD is already high. I don’t see any value in the product.
The 11 Pro Max 256gb in the US is around 25-30 thousand LESS than in India. So 5-7 thousand bucks more for the Airpods doesn't surprise me at all.

Apple is never about value for money, their business model is on desirability. No gun to anybody's head to buy their products, still they sell like hot cakes. I am sure the Airpods will be a sellout here also.

If anybody wants Value, look elsewhere. If you want to buy Apple pay the price

Cheers
Old 29th October 2019, 14:34   #12352
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
WOW this is the first I have heard in this regard. Is it possible that Apple would have ignored this aspect before releasing it in the market? Highly unlikely. However even if this would impact a small population, Apple should have come with a disclaimer! Lets see in the coming days how many such instances gets reported...

As far as I know this problem is applicable to all LED screen phones and not just iPhones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The new AirPods Pro in India is priced at ₹24990. That's just ridiculous considering the international price of 249USD is already high. I don't see any value in the product.

₹3000 more, we can get the fastest android phones. Apple even sells an iPad at the same price. I was thinking 12k for Airpod 1st gen was a bit expensive and was actually waiting for the new Airpods for the black colour option. But this is just insane out of the world pricing.

Adding my 2 cents.

I have the 2nd gen AirPods and I think it is easily the best apple gadget I have purchased in a long time. If you really look around all true wireless earphones are super expensive. In fact most branded ones are substantially more expensive than the AirPods. On the other hand the AirPods are superbly built, works seamlessly, easy to use, decent sound quality, is a boon for people who take calls on the go.

With regard to the AirPods Pro, I too feel that it will be a hit. Looking at Bose and Sony, these are actually decently priced at USD 250. I believe the In ear set up will enhance the quality of sound as well.

Bast part is you can use the Airpods with Android phones as well and it connects just as seamlessly.

After using the Airpods and actually understanding the usefulness of the device, I can safely conclude that comparing the Airpod to a fast Android device is like comparing an Octavia to my i20's arm rest. Both are completely different things with different utilities.

These are all my personal opinions.

Last edited by Pancham : 29th October 2019 at 14:41.
Old 29th October 2019, 16:33   #12353
BHPian

Quote:

I think the iphone supports dc dimming, you just have to find the setting and enable it. If that doesn't help find another phone with an lcd screen.
Old 29th October 2019, 17:53   #12354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Cheers
This article explains an available workaround in detail. Check if it makes your situation any better.
Old 29th October 2019, 18:10   #12355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I have the 2nd gen AirPods and I think it is easily the best apple gadget I have purchased in a long time. If you really look around all true wireless earphones are super expensive.
Airpods (how much weird they look) are awesome. I have the 2 gen model. I use the Bose QC 35 II and the Jabra Elite 65T.

I feel the Jabra seals too much into the ear although the music appears to be better sounding than Airpods, maybe because of the better seal. However, the seal some times tends to be a problem in certain situations where you want to hear the ambient noises. They have a pass through option but i find the app too confusing. Also Jabra has a dreaded issue where the left earphone has connectivity issues and only a reset corrects that.

Airpods on the other hand connects to the iP everytime without any hassles and provide the right amount of ambient noise (my use case).

When i need complete Nirvana (airplanes and overexcited child around) i use the QC II 35.

It would be interesting to see how the Airpods Pro fairs. Waiting on reviews from MKBHD, Jimsreviewroom for the same
Old 29th October 2019, 18:27   #12356
Senior - BHPian

https://t.co/XFk1NasEFn?amp=1

MKBHD's first impressions of the Airpods Pro.

Cheers
Old 29th October 2019, 18:36   #12357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This article explains an available workaround in detail. Check if it makes your situation any better.
Thank you Chetan. I did see this article, the reduce white point dulls the screen to such an extent that viewing pleasure is completely missing. It completely washes out the display.

It seems no OLED for me in future and as the rumours go if Apple makes everything OLED from next year, then no Apple.

It is what it is, have to accept and move on. It's better a problem with the OLED screen rather than a problem with my eyes.

Cheers
Old 29th October 2019, 19:27   #12358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It seems no OLED for me in future and as the rumours go if Apple makes everything OLED from next year, then no Apple.
The problem is pretty much everyone's moving from LCD to OLED at least in the mid to high range phones, so you'll be stuck without a phone unless you buy utility devices only.

Here's another middle-of-the-road idea worth a try.

Why don't you try turning off the adaptive brightness, and set it manually to 40-50% and see if it's any better? Flickering is heavy at low(er) brightness (and aggressive adaptive brightness modes make it worse), but it could be decently usable at the mid-point of the brightness scale. Use true-tone/night mode to reduce glare.

P.S. It's the same problem with the OnePlus 7T I got recently. Adaptive brightness is very aggressive, and even DC dimming can't help with color discrepancies that creep in when OLED's are run on low power. I just set brightness to 45% and use scheduled night mode past evening.

Sucks to have over-sensitive eyes.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th October 2019 at 19:30.
Old 29th October 2019, 20:45   #12359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Sucks to have over-sensitive eyes.
You bet Chetan. Only a fellow sufferer can understand the pain/nuisance as most people cannot really get it.

In my case the entire iPhone episode may be captured in one line "seventeen thousand rupees lost due to WORMS"

I am back with my Samsung Note 10 plus which I didn't have any issues with in the first place. Went to iPhone again since I was bored with the Note 10 Plus.

The Pro Max is sold and I am "suddenly" finding my Note device fine after losing money

Thank you once again.

Cheers
Old 29th October 2019, 20:59   #12360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am back with my Samsung Note 10 plus which I didn't have any issues with in the first place....
The issues definitely seems to vary across manufacturers. My previous phone, a 2014-model Motorola XT1225 (I don't know the panel supplier on that one) had a 500-odd ppi OLED panel, and there was no visible flicker or color distortion even at minimum brightness. I finally gave it up reluctantly because my org won't support older Android versions.

The Note series are great phones (I played around with a demo piece recently), so you haven't really lost out on device capabilities.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th October 2019 at 21:02.

Most Viewed