Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2019, 12:48   #12361
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I am back with my Samsung Note 10 plus which I didn't have any issues with in the first place. Went to iPhone again since I was bored with the Note 10 Plus.
The Note 10+ also uses a OLED and has a PWM frequency of 250hz while the iPhone 11 pro has a pwm frequency of 290hz. So in all likeliness the Note should give you more problems than the iPhone.

Or the iPhone screen has other issues.
Old 30th October 2019, 16:41   #12362
BHPian

Quote:
You bet Chetan. Only a fellow sufferer can understand the pain/nuisance as most people cannot really get it.
A few pages back, I too had complained about the headaches, when I shifted to a iP10 from my 7. Went to my Opthalmologist, who also is a family friend and an iP10 user. He ruled out any change in eyepower ( I am 43 with nearsighteness), as I am comfortable reading without glasses nowadays and refused to prescribe progressive number, citing I can carry on for a few years more with a minus number.
He stated that it would take time for the eyes to get used to, with a new screen, just like it takes time when a person begins to use glasses for the first time. He prescribed an eyedrop called optimoist or something, for 7 days.
Along with that, I turned off TRUE Tone, white point is at 81% and screen brightness at 70%. My eyes own the phone now.I don't know what helped, whether the doctor's visit or the settings or both or none, but I can use the OLED screen without any issues now.
Old 30th October 2019, 19:06   #12363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The Note 10+ also uses a OLED and has a PWM frequency of 250hz while the iPhone 11 pro has a pwm frequency of 290hz.
Samsung claims it's a Dynamic Super Amoled HDR10+ display also certified to be the most comfortable one for the eyes. Don't know what wizardry happens in the background or different technical names. Somehow the Note 10 Plus display is really, really very comfortable for my eyes besides being very colorful in the "vivid" mode.

https://www.oled-info.com/files/Sams...nfographic.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
0My eyes own the phone now.
Very happy for you Ritesh! I got this "fix" from the iPhone store as well as Chetan from our team, however with "reduce whitepoint" I felt the screen to be dull and washed out. This fix was not for me, neither did I want to take a chance after what I went thru of the issue building in the background while not feeling it immediately.

Chetan - you are correct again, not really missing out on technical features etc with the Note 10 Plus, just could not scratch the iPhone itch. The 11 while being LCD is a small screen for me and again appears dull to look at unless at 100% brightness all the time, maybe.

Cheers
Old 30th October 2019, 23:53   #12364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samsung claims it's a Dynamic Super Amoled HDR10+ display also certified to be the most comfortable one for the eyes.
Sorry to read that you had to give up on using the phone entirely. I'd read about this when X launched, but didn't know it could be so serious where you'd be left with no option but to sell your phone.

On my Note 8 I've experienced something similar where if I stare at the screen a lot ~5-6 hours my right eyelid begins to twitch. Never happened with LCD screens on my previous phone or laptop, but something I've observed when using LED screens.

I hope they sort this out in future when most devices begin to adopt LED screens.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:55   #12365
BHPian

Just a query around the same topic of LED screens. How come this does not effect LED TV viewing?
Old 31st October 2019, 11:05   #12366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Just a query around the same topic of LED screens. How come this does not effect LED TV viewing?
Probably because of the viewing distance? You watch TV from a distance, but you hold your phone closer.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:15   #12367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, the mass market LED TVs are LED backlit LCD screens. They are not OLED screens except the expensive TVs with big screen areas. In the LED-LCD TVs, the LED backlight is not dimmed to an extent that it will affect the eye. Even in the Iphone, the flickering is evident only when the brightness is less than 50%. The LED backlights of televisions do not run at such a low level IMO since these low levels are more relevant for smaller displays which are viewed from a closer distance. Rather than the level, I would say that the OLED display of a phone has to have a higher brightness range compared to a television since the phone has to keep its visibility up to mark both in sunlight as well as a dark room. This is why the PWM range also will be quite high, from 100% duty cycle to as less as 25% IIRC. LED TVs do not have to cater to such a huge range of brightness level and wont need this much variation in the LED brightness control.

Last edited by audioholic : 31st October 2019 at 11:18.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:16   #12368
Senior - BHPian

LED TV does cause eye strain. I cant watch TV for hours. Main thing is not to forget to blink, and keep eyes moist. Also, initially I used to hear about some coating on the panel that reduced viewing fatigue. But nowadays I guess that is standard in every LED TV.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:18   #12369
BHPian

Quote:
LED TV use LCD screen which is backlit by LEDs. Or were you talking about OLED TV?
Old 31st October 2019, 12:52   #12370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I hope they sort this out in future when most devices begin to adopt LED screens.
Thanks Shashank. As we advance with technologies I am sure there are compromises made which affect people in different ways. Since so far it seems to be affecting a small number, manufacturers are not bothered to do anything about it. Though I believe, if something is so obviously bothering you, its prudent to avoid using that. A phone for sure is not something worth compromising for.

For example, your problem with the Note 8. I used the Note 8 for two years without any issues.

Let's hope for the best and see what the future brings.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2019, 13:09   #12371
BHPian

In LCD screens brightness is controlled by reducing the input voltage to the backlight.

In OLED since there is no backlight and the pixel itself is emitting light, reducing voltage will shift the color of the pixel. Hence it resorts to switching on and off the pixel at a very high frequency. So for 50% brightness it switches off the pixel for about 1/200 of a second and then turns on for 1/200 of a second. For a lower brightness the amount of time it is on is reduced. This is what causes flicker.

Newer OLED panels are resorting to voltage reduction (DC dimming setting), but they can't do away with the flicker mechanism completely. For very low brightness it still resorts to flicker. So DC dimming only reduces the problem.

Even in LCD panels, the backlight is an LED, so in some phones it resorts to flicker for very low brightness. But most of them do not. Its better to check the model before buying.

here is a list of devices and their ranking. You may want to filter it by mobile phones.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ra....163979.0.html
Old 31st October 2019, 13:26   #12372
BHPian

The posts on the LCD and LED displays are really enlightening! I used to have severe headaches often when i was using a note 9. Since May i jumped to iphone XR and the headaches are gone. Now it makes sense to me. I think I will stick to LCD displays of iphone even in future.
Old 1st November 2019, 10:26   #12373
BHPian

Guys,
Need your help. I have a 2018 iPhone X. It's running on iOS 12. It switches off on its own all of a sudden and then it takes me at least 10-15 attempts trying various things like charging it, pressing the power button, pressing the power button and volume button together.

This has happened twice in 15 days.

The last time it happened, I was at a remote place in Germany where the phone was my only source of direction(was using gmaps). Today it happened again. What could be the reason ?
Old 1st November 2019, 10:30   #12374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Guys,
Need your help. I have a 2018 iPhone X. It's running on iOS 12.
How's the weather there? My phone struggled in Zurich in Dec because of the low temperatures, especially when battery was low (sub 40%).

Any reason you're holding off on iOS 13? 13.2 is out so it's pretty stable now. Try updating, maybe it'll clear some software/firmware issues. If it's an hardware issue, visiting the Apple Store might be of assistance.
Old 1st November 2019, 10:45   #12375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How's the weather there? My phone struggled in Zurich in Dec because of the low temperatures, especially when battery was low (sub 40%).

Any reason you're holding off on iOS 13? 13.2 is out so it's pretty stable now. Try updating, maybe it'll clear some software/firmware issues. If it's an hardware issue, visiting the Apple Store might be of assistance.

The weather there was a bit chilly 8-12c range. But I'm back in Mumbai and it happened again today, so I doubt that might be the issue.

May be I will update it to iOS 13 and see,
iPhone X folks how is iOS 13 holding up ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks