Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2019, 13:58   #12436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
While your choice of disabling the background app refresh for certain apps will definitely improve the battery life, I don’t see why the optimized battery charging option should be disabled, as this does not affect day to day battery life.
The problem with optimized charging was that my charging routine was never consistent. Sometimes it would be in the morning, sometimes at night and sometimes in the middle of the day. This would make the phone charge only till 80% or so most of the times. My preference is to charge till 100%, and use it at least till less than 30% before I would charge it again. This would still last more than a day and hence, the charging time

was not routine. So in these cases, the phone was not being completely charged. I was not so comfortable with this. Hence I disabled it. I will enable it once I return to India where I have access to more charging cables and locations
Old 15th November 2019, 15:35   #12437
Senior - BHPian

Charging it up to 80% is the right way to do it. Prolongs battery life
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The problem with optimized charging was that my charging routine was never consistent. Sometimes it would be in the morning, sometimes at night and sometimes in the middle of the day. This would make the phone charge only till 80% or so most of the times. My preference is to charge till 100%, and use it at least till less than 30% before I would charge it again
Old 16th November 2019, 09:25   #12438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Wait for the Dec sales. It should go down to low 30s.
I have been window shopping for a new iPhone for a while. My friend picked up the XR (64 GB) in the pre Diwali Amazon sale. It was going for 40k for a day. With a bank offer he got it for 38K. Do you reckon an even lower price is possible than 38k?
Old 16th November 2019, 10:34   #12439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I have been window shopping for a new iPhone for a while. My friend picked up the XR (64 GB) in the pre Diwali Amazon sale. It was going for 40k for a day. With a bank offer he got it for 38K. Do you reckon an even lower price is possible than 38k?
Even I am waiting for that offer. It was only for a day. I was getting it for 28.5k after exchange,and I did not buy then
Old 16th November 2019, 14:24   #12440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Highly unlikely that they will offer it for a price lower than 38k for a very long time, as even the iPhone 8/8 Plus are priced similarly and the XR is a newer model. Besides, major price cuts come after the launch of new iPhones which is every September, I think this is it for the year.
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:59   #12441
Senior - BHPian

I'm facing an odd issue with iphoneX after countless ios updates from Apple - Malfunctioning keyboard. If I press on GMAIL, Whatsapp opens. When I type some text, something else will come up. The second issue got sorted when I reset keyboard, but crops up again. Hard reset is solving only temporarily. The phone was bought during launch and is out of warranty
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:34   #12442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm facing an odd issue with iphoneX after countless ios updates from Apple - Malfunctioning keyboard. If I press on GMAIL, Whatsapp opens.
This might be a hardware issue, most probably the touch screen.

I had a similar issue on my old 7Plus when I replaced the broken screen with an after market one.
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:47   #12443
Senior - BHPian

If true, its time to pick up the new kid on the block
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
This might be a hardware issue, most probably the touch screen.
I had a similar issue on my old 7Plus when I replaced the broken screen with an after market one.
Old 23rd November 2019, 18:45   #12444

My Iphone XS suddenly died on Monday night. I tried all the usual ways to turn it back ON but no luck. The phone's 1 year limited warranty was ending on 26th Nov, so did not waste much time and took the phone to istore here in Elements Mall. The service center guy did all the usual checks again but no luck. I submitted the device and was told that they will come back to me with an update in 2-3 business days. I got a mail on Thursday that the phone had an issue with the login board and they are replacing the phone with a new one under warranty. So went and collected the device and i was told the phone is new and not a refurbished phone. The serial number starts with an N which means its a replacement device.

I was told the new phone's warranty will end on the same day as my old phone i.e 26th Nov 2019 and the new phone will only carry a service warranty of 90 days. But when i turned ON the replacement phone the warranty was showing for one year ending in Nov 2020. I checked the Apple warranty coverage website as well and the warranty is till Nov 2020 on the new device. The service center guy was also a little surprised. He said that the replacement devices usually have only 90 days service warranty and if i need additional one year warranty then i will have to buy it by paying Rs 4500.

Can someone who has got a replacement device please clarify if i need to buy the extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 18:27   #12445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Later, updated to 13.2.2. and backed up Data on iTunes. Formatted / Erased the phone completely then restored the data backup from iTunes...
Hi driving_smartly, does the backup on itunes contain the entire backup including the whatsapp chats and other data from third party messengers? The reason I’m asking coz I haven’t backed up the whatsapp on icloud since 2 months, as my icloud storage is full. Does the backup via itunes retains everything; so that post restore I get my phone exactly where I had left?

Thanks.

Note from Support:

Dear BHPian,

Your post had an incorrectly quoted post you were responding to.

We advise you to please refer to this thread for instructions on how to quote/multi-quote before proceeding any further.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th November 2019 at 23:06. Reason: Fixed quoted post
Old 24th November 2019, 21:56   #12446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Can someone who has got a replacement device please clarify if i need to buy the extended warranty?

Thanks
Buy the extended warranty. I too got my iPad replaced in the last week, and immediately purchased an extended warranty for two years. Sorry I didn’t wait to check whether the new device showed a whole one year warranty, but there is always a risk that Apple will deny that as a bug if we go to service that device.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:57   #12447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Hi driving_smartly, does the backup on itunes contain the entire backup including the whatsapp chats and other data from third party messengers? The reason I’m asking coz I haven’t backed up the whatsapp on icloud since 2 months, as my icloud storage is full. Does the backup via itunes retains everything; so that post restore I get my phone exactly where I had left?

Thanks.
My Iphone SE is 16GB Version, along with subscription to 50GB itunes plan.

All my data was restored on whatsapp including chats & media, but i have no clue if at all it did backup & restore from Itunes on PC or from icloud back up.

For third party messengers, no Idea!

Below picture is for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-iphone.jpg  

Old 25th November 2019, 11:02   #12448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Below picture is for your reference.
Thanks for your reply driving_smartly.
Old 25th November 2019, 11:34   #12449
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Thanks for your reply driving_smartly.

iTunes backup will transfer whatsapp data as well if you choose to go for complete back up. I have used this for at least 5 iPhones.

Quote:
Aah! good to hear that! I just did a full encrypted back-up of my iPhone 7 via iTunes; and will do the restore now.

I would advise against encrypted backup. It mainly ensures transfer of credentials over and above normal back up but will be considerably slower and chances of failure will be there while restoring. At least this is what I have experienced in past.

Last edited by roamer012 : 25th November 2019 at 11:58.
Old 25th November 2019, 11:44   #12450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
iTunes backup will transfer whatsapp data as well if you choose to go for complete back up. I have used this for at least 5 iPhones.
Aah! good to hear that! I just did a full encrypted back-up of my iPhone 7 via iTunes; and will do the restore now. I missed to do a clean install of iOS 13 software during the first install and now facing a few bugs with mail retrieval, erratic storage issue, etc with the 13.1.2 update. So hoping that a clean install will iron out most of the issues. And thanks for the info roamer012!

Cheers!

Most Viewed