Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 11:51   #12496
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried killing all apps and restarting the phone? Seems more like something behind the scene in your device.
Yeah, looks like a restart fixed the issue.
Old 14th December 2019, 10:03   #12497
Distinguished - BHPian

I think WiFi calling has been formally enabled on Jio. An indicator comes up on 13.3. It says "Jio WiFi" every time the phone latches onto a WiFi network. Whereas previously only Jio & the Wifi symbol were displayed.

PS - they also updated the network settings, it's on ver 40.1 now.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th December 2019 at 10:14. Reason: added PS
Old 14th December 2019, 11:58   #12498
Distinguished - BHPian

Any solutions for blocking spam SMSes? I am particularly pissed by promotional SMSes sent mostly by local shops which don't use a particular number but identifiers like VM-FRLNXT types.
Old 14th December 2019, 13:01   #12499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Any solutions for blocking spam SMSes? I am particularly pissed by promotional SMSes sent mostly by local shops which don't use a particular number but identifiers like VM-FRLNXT types.

I am using TRAI DND app. Instructions for usage are in the app itself. Cant say it has 100% strike rate rather Operator always shares negative report i.e. the caller or SMS was not promotional however i seldom see repeat offenders after that. If someone has any other better solutions, please do share for iOS.
Old 14th December 2019, 13:10   #12500
BHPian

I like the VeroSMS app better. It does keyword based filtering. Also you can report messages to TRAI too.
Old 16th December 2019, 03:38   #12501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Absolutely fine and much more stable version as per my experience.
I was having terrible battery drain with 13.2.3. It coincided with my heavy phone usage for calls for couple of weeks - mostly phone calls, but also whatsapp and Facetime calls. On one occasion, phone abruptly died on me when I was on a whatsapp call with battery still around 35%. Your posts gave me confidence and I have upgraded to 13.3 this morning. Hoping for better experience.
Your handle reminds me of our school classmate, whom we fondly call Jaggu dada
Old 16th December 2019, 09:46   #12502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
On one occasion, phone abruptly died on me when I was on a whatsapp call with battery still around 35%.

Sounds like a weak battery. How much of the original capacity is left? Do you see throttling?
Old 16th December 2019, 09:54   #12503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On one occasion, phone abruptly died on me when I was on a whatsapp call with battery still around 35%. Your posts gave me confidence and I have upgraded to 13.3 this morning. Hoping for better experience.
Apart from a weak battery, this could also be a result of improper calibration of the battery by the OS. Since you have already updated to the iOS, I suggest you run down the battery to the point where the phone switches off itself during normal course of use. Then charge the battery to 100% in one go. This should reset the calibration and the OS should report more realistic and accurate battery level.

I feel there is a some improvement in battery management in the new iOS 13.3. You should notice at least some improvement.

Regards,
Saket
Old 16th December 2019, 17:06   #12504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was having terrible battery drain with 13.2.3. It coincided with my heavy phone usage for calls for couple of weeks - mostly phone calls, but also whatsapp and Facetime calls. On one occasion, phone abruptly died on me when I was on a whatsapp call with battery still around 35%
I faced a similar problem earlier this year. Heavy drain on battery charge levels and drops of up to 5-7% on heavy load in minutes. Though the health was 87% a battery replacement is what cured the issue.

Have the battery fully tested at an Apple approved service provider. If battery health <80% Apple recommends a replacement. Upgrading/updating the OS may help battery life a bit but it won't resolve the problem fully as battery health cannot be restored.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th December 2019 at 17:07.
Old 17th December 2019, 05:51   #12505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Sounds like a weak battery. How much of the original capacity is left? Do you see throttling?
The maximum performance has dropped from 83% to 80% in the last couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Apart from a weak battery, this could also be a result of improper calibration of the battery by the OS...
Will try this out today. Generally, I use the phone until battery comes down to <20% and sometimes in single digits before re-charging. Have been following from day-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Have the battery fully tested at an Apple approved service provider. If battery health <80% Apple recommends a replacement.
Thanks Feluda, Saket and R2D2 for chiming in with your inputs.

Mine is a Apr-2016 iPhone SE. Except for about 6 months, it has always been my secondary phone. Only in the last month, it has become my primary phone again and I have been using it extensively for work calls. I will get the battery replaced. Hope there are some offers at year-end.

Last edited by prashkul : 17th December 2019 at 05:56.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:28   #12506
Senior - BHPian

I think the iPhone7S is a goldmine of a phone. It's 're-love' for me. I started using a second sim on a Sep 2016 bought phone and it really rocks. Battery health is exceptional, in spite of the phone lying unused for long. This was the first to lose the headphone jack, and it was such a novelty back then. Apple took a big risk that paid off. Sadly this model is not sold anymore.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:51   #12507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will try this out today. Generally, I use the phone until battery comes down to <20% and sometimes in single digits before re-charging. Have been following from day-1
To preserve battery health in any Li-ion or Li-poly battery try and maintain the charge between 40-80% as much as possible. In other words, charge when it's at 40% and charge up to 80%. Try to avoid discharging the battery to <10%

Quote:
I will get the battery replaced. Hope there are some offers at year-end.
None that I know of but you can check with the service provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I think the iPhone7S is a goldmine of a phone. It's 're-love' for me
AFAIK there's no 7s, you probably the 7 because it was the first to lose the headphone jack. I am still using my 7+ I don't really like the new notched designs.

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th December 2019 at 07:53.
Old 17th December 2019, 08:27   #12508
Senior - BHPian

iPhone7 indeed. The shiny black doesn't have a single scratch yet, (speak about tough coatings). They should make more of these with memory bumped up to 64 gigs and up. LOL
Quote:
AFAIK there's no 7s, you probably the 7 because it was the first to lose the headphone jack. I am still using my 7+ I don't really like the new notched designs.
Old 17th December 2019, 08:44   #12509
BHPian

Quote:
To preserve battery health in any Li-ion or Li-poly battery try and maintain the charge between 40-80% as much as possible. In other words, charge when it's at 40% and charge up to 80%. Try to avoid discharging the battery to <10%

Noted. I will charge now whenever battery reaches 40% till it gets charged fully (100%). Are you suggesting to unplug the phone when battery reaches 80% charge level?
Old 17th December 2019, 08:55   #12510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
iPhone7 indeed. The shiny black doesn't have a single scratch yet, (speak about tough coatings). They should make more of these with memory bumped up to 64 gigs and up. LOL
Actually they do - I have a 256 GB model. I assume you are referring to storage not RAM. The 7/7+ have 2 GB IIRC. Sounds low by today's standards but the phone works very nicely.

Quote:
Noted. I will charge now whenever battery reaches 40% till it gets charged fully (100%). Are you suggesting to unplug the phone when battery reaches 80% charge level?
Yep, disconnect it from the charger when level hits 80%. Of course you CAN charge to 100% but try and keep the charge level in the sweet spot i.e. between 40-80%.

Also make sure you have "Optimised battery charging" switched on in Settings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks