Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 22:01   #12661
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Apple iPhone SE launched in India for Rs 42,500.

Quote:
The new iPhone, according to Apple, is a 'powerful new smartphone in a popular design'. It features some of the latest hardware available on Apple’s current flagship line up, the iPhone 11 series but shares the design language of the iPhone 8.

The iPhone SE features a 4.7-inch Retina HD True Tone IPS display with a 750*1334 resolution. Like the iPhone 8, the iPhone SE features thick bezels at the top and bottom of the screen. There is also a solid-state Home Button that houses the Touch ID fingerprint scanner.

While the design may be relatively dated, the performance unit packs Apple’s latest hardware. The iPhone SE features an A13 Bionic chip that is found on the iPhone 11 and the iPhone 11 Pro series. There is also a third-generation Neural Engine for faster and more efficient machine learning.

Apple iPhone SE, like the iPhone 11 series, is water and dust resistant and comes with IP67 certification. The company says that the iPhone SE can stay in one-metre water for up to 30 minutes.

In terms of camera, there is a single camera system on the back with a 12MP f/1.8 sensor and a True Tone LED flash. The camera comes with features like Portrait mode (six effects like Natural, Studio, Contour, Stage, Stage Mono, High-Key Mono), Smart HDR, Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), Burst Mode, Auto Focus, etc. In case you are wondering, the iPhone SE does not come with Night Mode.

The iPhone SE can also shoot videos in 4K up to 60 fps, 1080p slo-mo videos at 120 or 240 fps, etc.

For selfies, there is a 7MP f/2.2 sensor at the front that supports Portrait Mode, Retina Flash, Auto HDR, etc.

Battery-wise, Apple said the iPhone SE offers the same amount of battery life as the iPhone 8 and can run videos for up to 13 hours and audio for 40 hours. The iPhone SE comes with a 5W charging brick, but supports 18W fast charging that needs to be bought separately. Further, it also supports wireless charging.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...e-5151571.html
karan0009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 23:36   #12662
BHPian

Yes its here !

Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 09:16   #12663
BHPian

It's priced so much higher compared to the US version. Can't this model be produced in India and priced better?

My wife is looking forward to buying this after the lockdown, since its the same size as her 6s and has the latest chip. The iPhone 11, XR etc are too big for her and iPhone 11Pro too expensive. This phone will sell a lot.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 09:20   #12664
Team-BHP Support

It's a decent option. Although it is nothing but an iPhone 8 upgraded with the A13 bionic vs the A11 in the 8.

The iPhone 8 was going at 39K and this is 3.5K more for the upgraded chipset.

However they should have done something about the design. A small 4.7" screen with those massive bezels is not in tune with a phone from 2020. And anyone buying it can't really flaunt it cause people will think it's an old model.

I got my sis an iPhone XR last July for 40K and I think that is way superior than the SE today. It has amazing battery life, Face ID, minimal bezels and really good performance. Only drawback is the larger form factor.

Unless you absolutely need the smaller form factor, the SE is not an attractive option over the XR. I would say get the XR before they kill it to boost sales of the SE. I'm sure the SE has fatter margins than the XR with the extra sensors and expensive cut out display notch.

The XR has now conveniently gone above 52K to make way for the SE.

The only positive I see is that now I have an iPhone to buy for my dad when his old 7 conks off. Cause he wants the TouchID and home button. The gesture in XR and 11 is not easy for older folks to get used to at all.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 10:07   #12665
Senior - BHPian

The only selling point this has is the 399 USD price. And apple is charging almost all of it for the latest chip.

This phone makes no sense in 2020 even if somebody must have an Apple and want it small. The XR or the 11 or even a used X is the way to go.

They have just reused the iPhone 8 body with the new chip set and called it the SE.

Oh well, when their Pro Max can be a dissapoitment what can a SE do.
Old 16th April 2020, 10:47   #12666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I got my sis an iPhone XR last July for 40K and I think that is way superior than the SE today. It has amazing battery life, Face ID, minimal bezels and really good performance. Only drawback is the larger form factor.
Yes, the XR is indeed a great option, especially for those who love the large form factor. And I liked the way they improved on the SE while keeping the differentiation like the home button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
Unless you absolutely need the smaller form factor, the SE is not an attractive option over the XR. I would say get the XR before they kill it to boost sales of the SE.
I feel the XR will stay until the next cycle, and then the base 11 will take its place.
Old 16th April 2020, 12:38   #12667
BHPian

My wife upgraded from an 6S to the 11. The difference is massive in performance,specially the camera. My brother has the XR,but there is literally no difference between the 11 and the XR other than the performance of the camera. Price wise the XR @42k is vfm but opted for the 11 since I got it at a discount of 15% off the regular price as my cousin works for Apple(California) so was entitled for an employee discount. The 11 costed me around 46k including taxes.
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 14:32   #12668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Try these:

Open iTunes Store > Select Films > pop-out а notification about permission to show an explicit content > agree > It should work.

or/and

Go to iTunes Store, search for an explicit song that you were trying to listen and try buying it. The pop up permission will appear. It should play in Apple music now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Go to iTunes store. Click to buy any explicit song but cancel it before payment.

Then enable explicit songs. and try to login and logout of apple music. see if this works.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

What actually worked was the following steps in this order -

1. Toggling the content restrictions under screen time to off
2. logging out of iCloud and apple music
3. Deleting the apple music app and downloading again - not logged in yet
4. Accessing the iTune Store and trying to buy a specific song with explicit lyric. A notification pops requesting the user to 'Allow' songs with explicit content. --> I hit allow and I was able to play the song or preview the song in iTunes store without actually buying the song
5. Launched the apple music app, logged in and searched for the same song as played on iTunes store and it played the song !!

I had earlier tried all these steps separately and not in any order which did not help at all. I had not tried the app delete and reinstall. Guess that did the trick. Phew what a relief as I like some of those songs on my Homepod and I hated playing them separately through another phone.

By the way the song that triggered all this was - The Blinding by Jay Electronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Where exactly is this setting to toggle explicit and non explicit lyrics? Screen time > Content restriction?
Yes. Under content restriction you select for each type of media.
Old 16th April 2020, 15:40   #12669
BHPian

I am a 6S user and this is the year I am going to replace my phone (after using 6S since 2015 launch time). I was planning to go with iPhone 12 once it is launched but am concerned how higher it will be priced at especially with dollar getting stronger.
I sometimes feel my wife's iPhone X to be big for me but that may be more about not being used to that phone on a daily basis. But I do enjoy using her phone as it is pretty snappy.

This iPhone SE doesn't look like a replacement for me as I will be going with exactly same phone (except internals change) look wise. Very much conflicted currently. Sometimes I feel I should get XR but then I feel it is a 2018 phone. I am not a heavy (or for that matter even light) camera user and don't run any games at all on my phone.

Edit: I would have liked to continue using my 6S but since it doesn't fully work with Airtel 4G Network, I cannot use it and currently am forced to use iPhone 5S as interim solution.

Last edited by raksrules : 16th April 2020 at 15:44.
Old 17th April 2020, 02:42   #12670
BHPian

If anyone is looking to upgrade from iPhones 6-8, I would suggest the X,Xs and 11 pro form factor. Fits good in the hand and is not bulky at all. I have used the Xr and while it is good VFM at the price sold, it is just too chunky to hold. If I were in the market for the Xr or 11, I would get the Xs.

I always prefer to get the top end of a previous gen, rather than the budget variant of the current gen. While the chip may not be the latest, the form factor and build quality makes up for that. I'd argue the feel of a phone is much more important than it doing things a few percentage points slower, than the latest gen.

Last edited by omar : 17th April 2020 at 02:43.
omar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 09:45   #12671
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post

This iPhone SE doesn't look like a replacement for me as I will be going with exactly same phone (except internals change) look wise. Very much conflicted currently. Sometimes I feel I should get XR but then I feel it is a 2018 phone. I am not a heavy (or for that matter even light) camera user and don't run any games at all on my phone...

The XR will just do fine. I have moved from a 5 to the 7 and finally to the XR and although the size looks relatively bigger when compared to the earlier phones, its quite usable on a day to day basis. On the other hand the X feels a bit small. The two major disadvantages of the XR over the X is the display type and the lack of a dual camera set up. If both are not your main priorities, then the XR is a very good buy. Also, the XR has dual sim functionality, so you can use a single phone as against 2. I moved from 2 iPhones to one about 1.5 years ago, and so thankful for the dual sim capability.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th April 2020 at 12:39. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:50   #12672
BHPian

The SE is sort of a disappointment. It is the same design that first came in 2014 as the iPhone 6. But then nobody was expecting anything better, I guess. But I expected better internals than just the new chipset. The battery is the same measly 1821mAH. My wife's 6S's battery life is pathetic, and she has to charge the phone twice a day. How is this small battery going to power the new chipset? Also, they should have given a second camera. Dual SIM is welcome though.

But then for people who are not a fan of the new series (because of the notch, bulk, weight, no home button etc) the new SE is the only respite. I myself, would be upgrading my wife's 6S to the 8 or SE in the next 2 years. Hope, by then, they price would have come down from the insane 42.5K.
Old 17th April 2020, 18:58   #12673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I myself, would be upgrading my wife's 6S to the 8 or SE in the next 2 years. Hope, by then, they price would have come down from the insane 42.5K.
https://9to5mac.com/2020/04/15/new-i...aces-iphone-8/

Cheers
Old 17th April 2020, 19:48   #12674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Thanks. But somehow things work differently in india. As of today, apple has the 6S, 7, 8, XR, XS and 11 being sold in India. 6S was apparantly given a new lease of life and apple india manufactured some fresh phones just for india.
Old 17th April 2020, 23:04   #12675
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

The SE makes a lot of sense if it is being sourced from USA. It does not make any sense to be bought for Rs 42k in India. I am an iPhone 7 user and apart from the battery life (which now is at 84% and requires frequent charging) I have no qualms.

With SE I will get the fastest processor till date, mostly more RAM, more ROM, better camera (with portrait mode), better battery life, dual sim option , wireless charging etc. I am not in a mood to spend close to 50k to get a new iPhone this year so might get the SE sourced from US for ~30k and use it for 1-2 years and then upgrade.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2020 at 06:59. Reason: Formatted

Most Viewed