Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 01:48   #12976
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

As per speculations, Apple finally announced the iPhone event on 13th October. Eagerly waiting for this event as I can’t wait to get the smaller iPhone 12 mini.

I shifted to XR from X 4 months back and I really can’t handle the LCD screen and the size. iPhone 7/8 users won’t be able to see the difference in the screen but coming from X and keeping it alongside 11 pro does show the obvious. I find it a tad big too for my hands.
I have heard the new pro models will start from 6.1” so not looking forward to those as I really want a compact phone. Need to be content with 5.4” this time as I don’t play games or watch any movies on my phone.

The iPhone Thread-7273b3e6542d45c5acb3abe5d510f0b6.jpeg
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:39   #12977
BHPian

Great news. This is going to be the best iphone they have ever made and everyone is going to love it. It is going to be x% faster , x% brighter and has i5G (not the regular 5G). I am so looking forward to see their marketing ad for this phone. Can't wait.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:03   #12978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Great news. This is going to be the best iphone they have ever made and everyone is going to love it. It is going to be x% faster , x% brighter and has i5G (not the regular 5G). I am so looking forward to see their marketing ad for this phone. Can't wait.
And their engineers worked hard for it.
smartindboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 18:53   #12979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
With the WFH in place, my iPhone 11 is being used a lot. Have to charge it by evening to use it. Recently Apple online store opened. I ordered the smart battery case. It got delivered just now. Will share the review and daily usage soon. Meanwhile sharing some photos.
The smart battery case provides 60% more charge on top of 100% charged iPhone 11. The case charges quickly in 1.5 hrs. While charging the phone with the case, the phone gets charged first then the case. Overall it serves the purpose well. However the case is heavy.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 16:56   #12980
Senior - BHPian

I moved to iOS14 and I discovered a cool functionality - the BACK TAP

Settings -- > Accessibility -- > Touch -- > Bottom most option that says 'Back tap'.

You can customize the function two ways ( double tap and triple taps at the back of the phone). Works seamless.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:08   #12981
BHPian

iPhone users,

Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the notes from the iCloud?On saturday,my mom had mistakenly reset her phone to factory settings and she had found that notes were missing in the notes app.Any solution to get the notes,which got deleted during reset?

Phone in question is iPhone X,which she has been using since 2.5 years.And,BTW,I've been seeing green line on right side of the screen in her phone since almost 1 year.What could be the reason for getting green lines on the display?Was planning to change the display,but the Apple service center guy had quoted Rs.28k just to replace the whole display.We said thank you and have been living with it since then as it is a known issue of iPhone X.

Meanwhile,I'm also an iPhone user,who had used iPhone 6 and iPhone SE before moving to iPhone XS an year ago.iPhone SE is still with me and handed it over to my 79 year old grandfather,who had used an Android before.Along with iPhones,own an AirPods and iPad as well.

Most of my cousins and friends,who stay here and in abroad,also use iPhones and they purchase a new version of iPhone whenever it gets launched.
Old 13th October 2020, 19:07   #12982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the notes from the iCloud?On saturday,my mom had mistakenly reset her phone to factory settings and she had found that notes were missing in the notes app.Any solution to get the notes,which got deleted during reset?
All this data is automatically backed up on iCloud, if she reset the phone, once she signs in with the ID then all the data available online like call logs SMSes, etc will restored. How recent the data is depends on when the last automatic backup occurred.
Old 14th October 2020, 09:00   #12983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The government is charging around 6% of tax on mobile phones I guess!

But,yes,₹1.4L for an iPhone 12 pro max 256GB is expensive!Instead,will get the iPhone 12 and an Apple Watch series 6 and I’m all set that too if I’m in the market to buy a new iPhone!As of now,not purchasing any of the iPhones for at least 1 year.
6% feels low. Is that the only tax or GST is different?
Old 14th October 2020, 09:04   #12984
Senior - BHPian

I have never understood iPhone customers. Let me put the prices in context here.

For 1.6 Lakhs, you can get a 2007 Civic in decent condition in Mumbai or Delhi.

I believe, by 2030, we will have 5 lakh rupees phones soon, unless people stop paying that kind of money for practically the same phone as last year with minor modifications.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 09:32   #12985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have never understood iPhone customers. Let me put the prices in context here.

I believe, by 2030, we will have 5 lakh rupees phones soon, unless people stop paying that kind of money for practically the same phone as last year with minor modifications.
iPhone generally lasts longer than Android phones. Am not talking about the hardware here. A 5 year old iPhone is a perfectly usable phone and would have the latest iOS running, while a 3 year old Android would be sort of obsolete with all the lags and crashes.

iPhone users change their phones every 3-4 years so they end up spending much lesser than people like me who jump into a new Android phone every year. And when they sell or trade their iPhones, they get back a neat sum.
civic-sense is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 09:53   #12986
BHPian

A big change here with new iPhone's announcement yesterday is Apple will stop including power adapter, charging cable and earbuds in the box citing environmental reasons. these accessories need to be bought separately. In the context of India at least whether its deal breaker or not we will have to see:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/13/iphon...ds-in-the-box/
Old 14th October 2020, 11:57   #12987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
iPhone generally lasts longer than Android phones. Am not talking about the hardware here. A 5 year old iPhone is a perfectly usable phone and would have the latest iOS running, while a 3 year old Android would be sort of obsolete with all the lags and crashes.

iPhone users change their phones every 3-4 years so they end up spending much lesser than people like me who jump into a new Android phone every year. And when they sell or trade their iPhones, they get back a neat sum.
iPhone 6S user here and using this phone since Nov 2015. Works great on iOS 14 and I do not intend to change it this year. And with the prices I saw, definitely not.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:36   #12988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post

I can't speak for people who change their iPhones every year or two after paying 1+ lakh for it, nor will I justify Apple's "Take it or leave it" pricing strategy in India.

But I can speak for myself. I personally own the same iPhone6s for 4+ years and this is the first time ever I'm holding on to a phone for so long because I WANT to and not because I NEED to.

Except for the battery-life, in every other way the phone is as good as it was new or even better because of overall good quality and great software updates. I can't help but be amused when people wonder why their 48mp Samsung phone's camera output isn't as good as the humble 12mp one in my iPhone 6s.

P.S: Apple did change the battery once under some battery replacement program. I don't know how much it costs to replace screens on Android phones but Apple does charge a lot for screen replacements. I've done that twice during my ownership and the eyes do water a bit at those times. But I don't mind it because I know it's worth it in the long term.

Last edited by kiku007 : 14th October 2020 at 12:37.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:41   #12989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
iPhone users,

Just login with your Apple ID. The notes and contacts should be back. These two are synced very frequently over iCloud, so, chances of losing this data looks a distant possibility. Just for discussion’s sake, I’m using two iPhones (both now old). But if I update a note or contact in any of the phones, the other gets updated automatically within a matter of seconds. My Mac also shares the same ID obviously and everything is available there as well.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:34   #12990
PPS
Senior - BHPian

How good is the iPhone 11 ? Heard about it retailing for around 49k during the Amazon Sale starting this weekend + I have a HDFC Debit card (cashback i assume). I currently use a 4.5yr old iPhone 6s, just put a new battery 4 months back & apart from a blemish on the screen which I can tolerate as replacing the screen is an expensive proposition, I'm quite happy with it. Don't have a strong desire to upgrade, I think I can flog my 6s for some more time!

My original plan was to buy the XR late next year but this Amazon offer got me thinking a bit. Since Apple only recently started making iPhone 11 in India, wouldn't they be marginally cheaper sometime next year?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks