Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 14:15   #12991
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
A big change here with new iPhone's announcement yesterday is Apple will stop including power adapter, charging cable and earbuds in the
Charging cable (USB-C to lightning) will be included, only the power adapter is going.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:26   #12992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
How good is the iPhone 11 ? Heard about it retailing for around 49k during the Amazon Sale starting this weekend + I have a HDFC Debit card (cashback i assume). I currently use a 4.5yr old iPhone 6s
Go for it. From 6S to iPhone 11 it will be a true upgrade and if you are getting good discount worth it. I upgraded from iPhone 6 plus (when i bought it during 2014 on day 1 of India launch ) to iPhone 11 Pro Max in January this year and it was a true upgrade for me. I loved the Face ID feature the most.
Old 14th October 2020, 14:50   #12993
Senior - BHPian

Will you get a 128 Gig for 49K? If yes, then go for it. 64 GB is of no use. Trade in your 6S for a better price
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Heard about it retailing for around 49k during the Amazon Sale starting this weekend + I have a HDFC Debit card (cashback i assume)
Old 14th October 2020, 18:57   #12994
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Will you get a 128 Gig for 49K? If yes, then go for it. 64 GB is of no use. Trade in your 6S for a better price
No, this is for 64gb version. I still have about 20gb free space on my 2016 iPhone 6s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
A big change here with new iPhone's announcement yesterday is Apple will stop including power adapter, charging cable and earbuds in the box citing environmental reasons.
I initially thought this was only for the iPhone 12 but its for all of them now!

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...31c9Y5BQ60LfCQ

Quote:
Apple, at the iPhone 12 launch event, announced that it will no longer include a charging adapter and EarPods in the iPhone box. The company confirmed that the move will also be applicable to its older generation iPhones, including the iPhone 11, iPhone XR, and iPhone SE.
Old 14th October 2020, 19:31   #12995
Senior - BHPian

I am an iPhone 7 user which I purchased when it launched in Oct 2017 and I am very happy with it. Even after so many years, it has never slowed down, hung or crashed. I am however looking to change it just because I would like a bigger screen.

I was waiting for the iPhone 12 to launch and now that it has, I have shortlisted the Rs. 85k iPhone 12 (128 GB) and the Rs. 1.20k iPhone 12 Pro (128 GB). The main difference between the two phones is the LiDAR available on the i12 Pro and of course, the massive difference in pricing.

Now I have been trying to figure out whether LiDAR is actually a useful feature on the iPhone and I have been getting mixed reactions on the same through various sources on the internet. Correct me if I am wrong, but other than the 3D capabilities which would be good for certain apps or games, I believe that LiDAR will probably give a slight improvement in low light photography during regular use, or is there more to it? In such a case, is it worth paying the extra Rs. 35k premium?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:42   #12996
BHPian

What do you guys think of apple not including a pair of earphones and charger??
I am impressed with the amount of savings in waste.

But what I'd prefer is them shipping with stronger more reliable stronger chargers

But I'm impressed. just hoped that they'd launch the iphone 12 at the same price as the iphone 11. It was a ray of hope for people not willing to splurge a lot on their phones. But the 12 mini seems like a nice phone.

Here's a video, watch it
Old 14th October 2020, 19:55   #12997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
iPhone 6S user here and using this phone since Nov 2015. Works great on iOS 14 and I do not intend to change it this year. And with the prices I saw, definitely not.

I have been using iPhones since 2009 and currently using 6S. In these 11 years this is my only 3rd phone. Got the 6S in Feb 2016 and it is still as good as new. It has not slowed down a bit in these 4.5 years. Photos are million times better than these new million mega pixel camera phones you have these days. I do not see the need for upgrading. Another reason for not upgrading is Apple has not done any groundbreaking innovation in iPhones.
Old 14th October 2020, 19:58   #12998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but other than the 3D capabilities which would be good for certain apps or games, I believe that LiDAR will probably give a slight improvement in low light photography during regular use, or is there more to it? In such a case, is it worth paying the extra Rs. 35k premium?

The difference is also presence of a 3rd camera and a slightly bigger battery. Unless you are an absolute photo fanatic, 12 is absolutely fine for anyone.
Do remember you'll have to spend extra on:
1. Case (Apple ones cost ~3.5k)
2. Tempered screen protector (Apple ones cost ~3k)
3. A charging brick (unless you have a Type C brick already or a Macbook with Type C port)
4. AppleCare+ (sure about not getting this? A single screen crack can send you back 40k)
5. A decent pair of earphones

iPhone 12 is the perfect phone for anyone. I wonder why Apple made it nearly identical to the 12 pro.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 20:29   #12999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
iPhone generally lasts longer than Android phones. Am not talking about the hardware here. A 5 year old iPhone is a perfectly usable phone and would have the latest iOS running, while a 3 year old Android would be sort of obsolete with all the lags and crashes.

iPhone users change their phones every 3-4 years so they end up spending much lesser than people like me who jump into a new Android phone every year. And when they sell or trade their iPhones, they get back a neat sum.
Well iPhones do get longer software support and will have the latest iOS version running but what is the point of using a LCD phone with thick bezels in 2020? Apple uses fancy terms like Liquid Retina HD screen and people think it's something really special. I personally feel it makes more sense to switch Android phones every 2-3 years and get the new goodies like 120 Hertz refresh rate or under display fingerprint scanner or under or under display front camera.

Android users can also change their phones every 3-4 years provided they buy a quality phone like a Samsung S series phone which provides guaranteed 3 major software updates (A phone sold with Android 9 will get upto Android 12). A low-end Redmi would obviously not last for this long but a quality android phone which costs 50k+ certainly will.

I agree that iPhones have far better resale values but I think I have been spending less on phones since I have shifted to Samsung from Apple and feel iPhones only make sense if you're in them for the brand or for the ecosystem.

Quote:
I can't speak for people who change their iPhones every year or two after paying 1+ lakh for it, nor will I justify Apple's "Take it or leave it" pricing strategy in India.

But I can speak for myself. I personally own the same iPhone6s for 4+ years and this is the first time ever I'm holding on to a phone for so long because I WANT to and not because I NEED to.

Except for the battery-life, in every other way the phone is as good as it was new or even better because of overall good quality and great software updates. I can't help but be amused when people wonder why their 48mp Samsung phone's camera output isn't as good as the humble 12mp one in my iPhone 6s.

P.S: Apple did change the battery once under some battery replacement program. I don't know how much it costs to replace screens on Android phones but Apple does charge a lot for screen replacements. I've done that twice during my ownership and the eyes do water a bit at those times. But I don't mind it because I know it's worth it in the long term.
I am sure your iPhone 6S would be perfectly usable even now but it would have none of the features which modern iPhones have like a UHD OLED screen, a bezel less design, decent RAM or stereo speakers.

There's only one condition in which your iPhone 6S outperformed a Samsung 48MP camera - you compared it with a low-range or mid-range Samsung. Compare the latest iPhone with a latest Samsung flagship and the results will be a mixed bag. The iPhone will be way better in video, selfies and dynamic range but Samsung will probably take the cake in detail, macro shots and night shots.

I feel Apple just takes their customers for a ride and hopes that fancy marketing terms like Ceramic Shield which is a modified version of Gorilla Glass, Super Retina XDR display which is an AMOLED display produced by Samsung and used in Samsung phones as well will woo Apple loyalists. They say that they removed the charger and the headphones to become a carbon neutral company and because they are already 2 billion Apple chargers out there but mind you literally none are compatible with the supplied charging cable as they're supplying a USB-C to lightning cable this year and Google is a carbon neutral company without removing chargers from phone boxes. Also they said that they're keeping the prices of the Pro models same as last year yet their prices have also increased by about Rs.10000.

Moreover, their highlight feature for this year - 5G isn't going to be useful in India for a few years as the auctions for 5G spectrum will happen in 2021 and it will take time for the 5G infrastructure to be setup.

Fortunately, their shareholders aren't Apple sheep and Apple's market value has dropped by $81 billion after the iPhone 12 announcement.

PS - I have attached the part replacement costs for Samsung S10 - which uses the same Samsung panels which Apple uses. As you can see the screen replacement costs around 12k and the back panel costs 2.4k. Apple charges about 27k to replace iPhone 11's display and about 35k to replace the back panel. The iPhone 12 display replacement is rumoured to cost above 40k. Daylight robbery :banghead:
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-1602687196113.jpg  

beemer5499 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 21:37   #13000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer5499 View Post

I am sure your iPhone 6S would be perfectly usable even now but it would have none of the features which modern iPhones have like a UHD OLED screen, a bezel less design, decent RAM or stereo speakers.
I am absolutely not defending apple and I echo the sentiments that the 12 series is nothing great and are super expensive.
But I am also a 6S user who is content with his phone (for now). You are making a blanket statement that everyone wants UHD screen and OLED and stereo speakers and such.
If the phone is working fine for me and don't see the need of those above mentioed features then so be it. Even if I bought the pro max today, I don't see my usage change so I don't see the need of spending so much to buy a 70K iPhone.
Old 15th October 2020, 02:06   #13001
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians, is it worth buying the iPhone 11 at 47999 on Amazon great Indian festival?

I certainly do not want to spend 70k on a phone. At the same time the lack of 5G a mediocre screen bother me.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 15th October 2020 at 02:09.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:35   #13002
VRJ
BHPian

Folks,

1. Any idea how much a new battery for a 8 plus would cost? The local service centre is quoting 3500. No stock available in Amazon and Flipkart.

2. Will the phone be formatted when the battery is changed? Do I need to take a backup?

Thank you!
Old 15th October 2020, 12:37   #13003
Senior - BHPian

Bought the base 64gb iphone SE for approximately 25K on flipkart. I've been an android user but was getting tired of carrying large sized phones with me. Was looking for a compact phone and in my budget this was the best option available. The recent iphone 12 announcement alongwith the festival season pushed down the prices. IMO this was better value than the pixel 4a.

I hope android manufacturers start to provide an option to those looking at compact phones. I still remember the moto E4 I had 4 years ago with a 4.5 inch screen. So compact and convenient to use, but I sold it because of the horrible performance and slowness.

With the A13, I hope I can use this one for the next 4-5 years.

Any recommendations on a good case ? I'm planning to buy this one.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 15th October 2020 at 12:44.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:50   #13004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Folks,

1. Any idea how much a new battery for a 8 plus would cost? The local service centre is quoting 3500. No stock available in Amazon and Flipkart.

2. Will the phone be formatted when the battery is changed? Do I need to take a backup?

Thank you!
I think Apple would charge 3.5-4K for replacement. 8 plus is a fairly recent phone, so if I were you, I wouldn’t hesitate to get it changed at Apple and use the phone for a couple of years more. The data remains unaffected if the battery is changed, so the phone is not formatted. But it’s always better to take a complete backup before any service.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 13:14   #13005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer5499 View Post
Well iPhones do get longer software support and will have the latest iOS version running but what is the point of using a LCD phone with thick bezels in 2020? Apple uses fancy terms like Liquid Retina HD screen and people think it's something really special. I personally feel it makes more sense to switch Android phones every 2-3 years and get the new goodies like 120 Hertz refresh rate or under display fingerprint scanner or under or under display front camera.
All the specs don't matter if the phone can't deliver.

I don't mind having the latest and greatest display, but does it really matter? My wife's iPhone 6S display looks better than my OP7's AMOLED display. The colors in it are natural compared to the colors that pop in my phone.

My Nexus 5X (stock android) was crawling after 2 years. The only Samsung that I had (S3) was practically useless after 2 years. My OP7 will too, soon. I haven't seen any android that performs well after two years. If stock Android couldn't hold up, how will OneUI or OxygenOS?

We were taking pics of the orchids in our garden the other day, and my pics - with the famed 48MP sensor - came out bright and colorful. But then, the flowers looked totally different from how they look in real. There was no drama in the 6S pics. The flowers looked exactly like it appears in real life. And her phone simply gives more useful pics per click session than mine. In her phone, she opens camera, presses the shutter button and it clicks a pic. My camera app, meanwhile, is still loading, and if loaded is still hunting for focus.

It does not matter whether Apple uses fancy words to market their products. If an HD screen that they call "Retina Display" outperforms a Full HD AMOLED display, what is there to complain about?

Am not saying that the iPhones don't have any flaws. But what they guarantee you is 5 years of usability. You can simply throw away the spec sheets in the dumpster.

Last edited by civic-sense : 15th October 2020 at 13:19.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks