Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 13:24   #13006
VRJ
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
8 plus is a fairly recent phone, so if I were you, I wouldn’t hesitate to get it changed at Apple and use the phone for a couple of years more.

Regards.
Although I planned on purchasing the iPhone 12, the only thing that’s stopping me is the lack of TouchID. I heard from a lot of friends that FaceID doesn’t work with your mask on and we’ll probably be wearing masks until summer 2021, so it didn’t make any sense to me to spend more money and create a problem of inconvenience of typing in the password every time I use my phone. I feel TouchID is more convenient during covid times. I’ll get my battery changed and stick to my 8 plus. The stock battery went from 100% to service in exactly three years.

Cheers!
Old 15th October 2020, 13:38   #13007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Bought the base 64gb iphone SE for approximately 25K on flipkart..
25K! That's a great deal. Is it still on?
Old 15th October 2020, 13:52   #13008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
It looks like the 64gb iphone SE is out of stock on Flipkart right now. There's a "Coming Soon" message - don't know when if at all it will be back at this price.

The 128gb variants are still available.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 15th October 2020 at 14:02.
Old 15th October 2020, 14:16   #13009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I certainly do not want to spend 70k on a phone. At the same time the lack of 5G a mediocre screen bother me.
I switched from the Note 10 Plus last year back to the iPhone 11. Don’t go by reviewers regarding the screen or the 10/12 GB RAM in Android phones. Specs on paper don’t matter at all to the actual user experience. The 11 display is absolutely great in all conditions and the buttery smooth iPhone experience is leagues ahead of other phones.

5G is your call . Does 4G work really well in India all the time? I don’t think so, why bother with 5G now. God knows when it will be launched here anyway.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 21:12   #13010
BHPian

Until a week back I was a committed android user with a very unkind opinion of Apple and its phones. And I have used everything from an HTC to a Pixel 2xl with all kinds of possible customisations and roms, and what not. This time I happened to use iPhone XR purchased for my wife, and with iOS 14 on it.

I shall not get into the debate on who is better and why but using iphone was just so easy. It just worked, sound was good and loud, camera was great, not as good as pixel but maybe I can live with it. Most importantly the little things which made it just so easy to use. I’ll give one example, just a simple event of having the call screen as lock screen when a call is going on, made it so easy to mute / unmute.

I guess the recent additions to ios 14 made it very balanced in terms of usability. And the shortcuts app is perfect replacement for tasker, plus easy to setup. Personal automation is a breeze. Maybe I have become less adventurous with age but iphone definitely works and does it well. User experience is just unmatched. Not just iphone but even those nifty little airpods.

And which is why my wife is now stuck with one plus.

Last edited by lordvader : 15th October 2020 at 21:15. Reason: Repeated word
lordvader is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 23:12   #13011
BHPian

So last year I picked an iPhone XR 128gb for 62k for myself and iPhone X 256gb for wife for 72k. If you total that up, it comes to 1.34 L. Now look at the cost of the 12pro’s and max’s. One can easily get 2 of the previous generation iPhones with higher capacities and almost the same configurations for the same price. Any phone costing above 1 L is just too absurd be it any operating system.
speedfreak01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 00:13   #13012
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Update on the latest sale going on. Just picked up the iPhone SE for 21200 for my mother. Exchanged her 5 year old iPhone 6 and got 4800 back. To be honest, could not resist the deal.

Last edited by Pancham : 16th October 2020 at 00:17.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 10:27   #13013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Update on the latest sale going on. Just picked up the iPhone SE for 21200 for my mother. Exchanged her 5 year old iPhone 6 and got 4800 back. To be honest, could not resist the deal.
Excellent deal there. Congratulations. I just refurbished a 6s 2 weeks back spending 4k on battery and screen guard plus cover. If not for that, would have happily picked this up. Damn!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Yeah looks like it’s still on. Am sure it will vanish soon. Grab it FAST
The iPhone Thread-9710b13690534cd3b129494e129c6b77.jpeg

P.S: Rather than exchanging old phones here try selling it separately on cashify and similar platforms. They offer much better pricing. I have got 4k for a 3 year old one plus X sometime back when flipkart exchange was offering only 2-2.5k.

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th October 2020 at 10:30.
Old 16th October 2020, 10:30   #13014
Senior - BHPian

This is a big deal. And the reason why my iphoneX is resting, while the 7Plus is doing duty It was very irritating in the initial month
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Although I planned on purchasing the iPhone 12, the only thing that’s stopping me is the lack of TouchID. I heard from a lot of friends that FaceID doesn’t work with your mask on and we’ll probably be wearing masks until summer 2021
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 10:48   #13015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Although I planned on purchasing the iPhone 12, the only thing that’s stopping me is the lack of TouchID. I heard from a lot of friends that FaceID doesn’t work with your mask on and we’ll probably be wearing masks until summer 2021, so it didn’t make any sense to me to spend more money and create a problem of inconvenience of typing in the password every time I use my phone. I feel TouchID is more convenient during covid times. I’ll get my battery changed and stick to my 8 plus. The stock battery went from 100% to service in exactly three years.

Cheers!
It is an inconvenience but not as big as you might be thinking. Just slide down your mask a little when you want to unlock when you are wearing one. Also, i had no doubt what so ever that Apple wont have a redundant option of touch id if face id is already there given when they said its more secure as a selling point.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:26   #13016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone with a recent experience of exchanging phones in FK or Amazon, could you please help me with the following:

1. Do they ask for charging cable, box and headphone? Asking this because I have none. Its a 5 year old phone and almost everything else has perished.

2. In the website they mention that I might have to pay cash for the difference amount in case they dont accept the phone. Do they provide any receipt or anything? Paying cash seems like to an unknown delivery guy.

3. Should I factory reset the phone before pick up? or after he/she comes? Asking this since they might want to inspect the phone, etc.

P.S: About FaceID: It just takes getting used to. Yes, it does not work if you are wearing a mask and that is an irritant. But the convenience of a FaceID from an overall perspective far outweighs the mask issue.

Going forward there is hope of TouchID making a comeback. It has already been integrated in the power button of the latest iPad Air and that is a fabulous feature. I think it is the only Apple device with both - FaceID and TouchID. So in the near future, we can have the same in iPhones too.

Last edited by Pancham : 16th October 2020 at 11:29.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:48   #13017
BHPian

Quote:
1. Do they ask for charging cable, box and headphone? Asking this because I have none. Its a 5 year old phone and almost everything else has perished.

2. In the website they mention that I might have to pay cash for the difference amount in case they dont accept the phone. Do they provide any receipt or anything? Paying cash seems like to an unknown delivery guy.

3. Should I factory reset the phone before pick up? or after he/she comes? Asking this since they might want to inspect the phone, etc.
1. Giving the phone to the delivery guy will suffice but he might ask for the box so that the phone remains unscathed else he will have to pay for it.

2. You could ask for the revised receipt from FK or Amazon if he rejects your phone but I have no idea in this regard.

3. If there are no dents on the phone, he will not reject it if he gives some dubious reason and rejects, tell him you want to talk to his senior and tell him about the condition. If there are minor wear & tear scratches he does not has any right to reject as even I had exchanged a phone with pretty major scratches on the back and paint chips.
You can reset the phone then & there when he approves the condition.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 12:17   #13018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyone with a recent experience of exchanging phones in FK or Amazon, could you please help me with the following....
You'll get a far better price selling to a third party recycler like Cashify directly, can verify price by getting an online estimate on their site.

Flipkart and Amazon exchange programs work through these kind of vendors anyway, while you get less value because Flipkart/Amazon wants a cut for 'facilitating' it.

Sold separately, you also have the peace of mind of switching over to the new device and wiping the old one at leisure before pickup, instead of rushing on the spot.

E.g. Flipkart is estimating 1400-3500 for the better half's SE 1st gen, Cashify quoted 7k.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th October 2020 at 12:19.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 13:00   #13019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You'll get a far better price selling to a third party recycler like Cashify directly, can verify price by getting an online estimate on their site.
Yes Sir, I am aware. Cashify is showing max 7k for this phone if it is in perfect condition with all the box contents.

I have never been the one to exchange my phones on FK/Amazon as the quotes are usually abysmally low. But given that this is a 5 year old device and to save some time I thought of exchanging it this time. Also, I thought INR 4,800 is a half decent price for the phone which would need a battery replacement soon (costs around 3.5k).

P.S: Back in the day, I managed to sell 3 phones on olx/Quikr to direct buyers for a pretty decent price but it required a lot of effort.

1. iPhone 6 64GB with a broken screen (3 years old) - 13k
2. iPhone SE (6 months old) - 14k (was available for 19k at that time)
3. Redmi Note 4 (damaged/bent from the side - close to a year old) - 8.5k (retailed for 12.5k)

Last edited by Pancham : 16th October 2020 at 13:01.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 15:41   #13020
BHPian

My iPhone 7, 128 Rose is on OLX in anticipation of the 12 Mini. Just like Amazon, FK, even Apple India seems to be a kind of lowballer with them offering 11000 for the device but not as much as the Ecom giants. And again the discretionary powers of the pick-up guy. With a minute but visible scratch at the bottom, I am reluctant to deal with Apple exchange, as there seems to be no option to cancel the transaction, incase exchange is disapproved.
With OLX, like mentioned above, patience is the key as many potential buyers get cold feet at the last moment.

P.S. With Apple buying back devices, I hope they start offering refurbished options here too.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 16th October 2020 at 15:43.

Most Viewed