Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2021, 13:57   #13516
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 454
Thanked: 1,288 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Hey guys,

My iphone 8 plus charger stopped working. I have been using my wifeís xiaomi phone charger ( with lightening cable plugged to usb) It seems to charge fine. Any long term issue using a different brand charger?


I am wondering if i should purchase Rs 1800 iphone charger or rather spend Rs 500 on xiaomi fastcharger.


Edit: Googling around, it seems like it is safe to use.
As long as it isnít a fast charger, you should be ok IMO. My personal experience is that using a fast charger on phones that donít support one degrades the battery health.

The battery health of a new battery in my IP7 dropped by 4% in under 2 months by using a 15W charger.
I have now reverted to the standard 5W charger & all is good so far.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 18:17   #13517
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Noida/New Delhi
Posts: 683
Thanked: 1,973 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Is anyone using the Apple leather case on their 12/12pro? Wanted to have some feedback before spending the money, as I have fallen hopelessly for the California poppy one.
RohanDheman is offline  
Old 7th February 2021, 20:41   #13518
BHPian
 
concorde24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 205 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Hi All,


Looking for a fast charger with 2 ports - 20W USB C PD and a USB A port for Wireless charger. Any recommendations in Amazon/Flipkart?
After searching for multiple 3rd party charges, finally ended up purchasing Apple 20W Fast charger from iPlanet. Works as expected 0-50% charge in 30 min where the phone is warm, later it takes 1 hour to get to 100% with phone relatively cool. I hope this helps in quick top-up in the mornings.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 22:00   #13519
RJK
Senior - BHPian
 
RJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dubai/Bombay
Posts: 1,130
Thanked: 677 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys - Recently got myself an iPhone 11 from One Plus 3. Trying to figure out if there's a way to block the spam SMS's that I receive in our lovely country. iPhone's native Message is dumb & can't seem to learn the pattern; I've been going through the rigmarole of opening every spam SMS->info->Block caller etc. Yet iOS doesn't seem to understand the pattern & block the messages. It is really very annoying!

I really miss SMS Organiser that's available on Android - what a fantastic messaging app that is!

Is there any way to make dumb iOS smart about this aspect?
RJK is offline  
Old 8th February 2021, 20:02   #13520
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,352
Thanked: 12,402 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The camera normally clicks such beautiful images.
Congrats on the iPhone 12 Pro. It's indeed a big step up from previous gen phones. I found a significant difference from my previous XSMAS

Stock pictures that come out of this phone is DSLR comparable and pictures are crisp with right color tones and everything really pops out, great phone for a hobbyist and maybe even a serious amateur.

Not sure if the 12Pro has the Dolby vision but, that completely transforms the videos and makes the scene much brighter than it's to the naked eye

Shot this on 12ProMax yesterday

The iPhone Thread-img_7150.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th February 2021 at 20:03.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:47   #13521
BHPian
 
Silverfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 649 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Is anyone using the Apple leather case on their 12/12pro? Wanted to have some feedback before spending the money, as I have fallen hopelessly for the California poppy one.
Have always used the apple leather ones and love them. Recently got my wife the California poppy case for her pacific blue 12 pro. I think its an awesome color and makes the phone look much better than the full pacific blue shade.
Silverfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:49   #13522
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 454
Thanked: 1,288 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats on the iPhone 12 Pro.

Not sure if the 12Pro has the Dolby vision but, that completely transforms the videos and makes the scene much brighter than it's to the naked eye

Shot this on 12ProMax yesterday
Thanks mobike & nice click there!

The 12 Pro too has Dolby vision video; however, I am yet to test it to it's full capacity. Shall soon try that out and share the feedback.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:01   #13523
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,352
Thanked: 12,402 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Thanks mobike & nice click there!

The 12 Pro too has Dolby vision video; however, I am yet to test it to it's full capacity. Shall soon try that out and share the feedback.
Great. Dolby vision makes such a major difference to videos. It's immediately noticeable when you put two iPhone next to each other and start the video.

Dolby vision brightens the overall screen and video (especially the night ones) come out much brighter. This feature alone is worth getting the pro model compared to the regular iPhone 12
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:21   #13524
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 763 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Hey guys,

My iphone 8 plus charger stopped working. I have been using my wifeís xiaomi phone charger ( with lightening cable plugged to usb) It seems to charge fine.
Edit: Googling around, it seems like it is safe to use.
In theory probably not. But I prefer spending the money on an Apple charger. After all the phone costs many thousands of rupees and you are risking damage for the sake of 1000 rupees or so. The risk is the charger may put out too much output for the phone to handle properly and may damage the phone long term
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:49   #13525
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 454
Thanked: 1,288 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
In theory probably not. But I prefer spending the money on an Apple charger. After all the phone costs many thousands of rupees and you are risking damage for the sake of 1000 rupees or so. The risk is the charger may put out too much output for the phone to handle properly and may damage the phone long term
Very true. This is exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post. Using a charger with a higher wattage than the one recommended will surely hit the battery hard.

Also, I think the 'Optimize Battery Charging' feature works well with the official Apple chargers as I have noticed that my iPhone finishes charging to a 100% just before my alarm goes off in the morning.

I rarely charge my iPhones overnight; but whenever I do, I ensure that I plug my 12 Pro as well to the humble 5W charger instead of the 20W.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th February 2021 at 21:53.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:01   #13526
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,609
Thanked: 16,358 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Very true. This is exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post. Using a charger with a higher wattage than the one recommended will surely hit the battery hard.

Also, I think the 'Optimize Battery Charging' feature works well with the official Apple chargers as I have noticed that my iPhone finishes charging to a 100% just before my alarm goes off in the morning.

I rarely charge my iPhones overnight; but whenever I do, I ensure that I plug my 12 Pro as well to the humble 5W charger instead of the 20W.
A small clarification. A 20W charger cannot inject 20W into the phone. It means it can provide 20W of power if the phone demands it. The phone can identify the type of charger it has been connected to by reading some voltage levels on the data lines of the USB. The phone draws its charging current based on this information.

So a higher rated charger cannot damage a phone. But if the battery life reduces it is because the phone chose to draw a high power from the charger
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:04   #13527
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 454
Thanked: 1,288 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
A small clarification. A 20W charger cannot inject 20W into the phone. It means it can provide 20W of power if the phone demands it. The phone can identify the type of charger it has been connected to by reading some voltage levels on the data lines of the USB. The phone draws its charging current based on this information.

So a higher rated charger cannot damage a phone. But if the battery life reduces it is because the phone chose to draw a high power from the charger
Well, latter might be the case in my IP7 than; as the ONLY thing that has changed since the last drop in the battery health is the CHARGER. Since I have reverted to the 5W charger on my IP7, the battery health is constant at 96%, which was earlier dropping by 1% fortnightly.

Also, the phone doesn't heat up anymore during charging.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:18   #13528
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,609
Thanked: 16,358 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Well, latter might be the case in my IP7 than; as the ONLY thing that has changed since the last drop in the battery health is the CHARGER. Since I have reverted to the 5W charger on my IP7, the battery health is constant at 96%, which was earlier dropping by 1% fortnightly.

Also, the phone doesn't heat up anymore during charging.
That is correct. When you connect the phone to a 5W charger, the phone will know it can only draw 5W of power, which puts it in slow charging mode. When connected to a quick charger, it would draw higher current to charge the battery which will result in heat generation as well.

For my iPhone 11, I have been using the 5W charger that came with my previous SE. The battery health is still 100% after 3 months.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 23:10   #13529
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 454
Thanked: 1,288 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is correct. When you connect the phone to a 5W charger, the phone will know it can only draw 5W of power, which puts it in slow charging mode. When connected to a quick charger, it would draw higher current to charge the battery which will result in heat generation as well.

For my iPhone 11, I have been using the 5W charger that came with my previous SE. The battery health is still 100% after 3 months.
Just so that I have understood this correctly, this thing implies only to the phones that DO NOT support fast charging right? I mean, the phones that do support, for ex. the 12 Pro will be safe with drawing higher currents as I believe their circuitry will be designed for that.
ashvek3141 is offline  
Old 8th February 2021, 23:38   #13530
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,423
Thanked: 3,496 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For my iPhone 11, I have been using the 5W charger that came with my previous SE. The battery health is still 100% after 3 months.
I started using my iPhone 11 in November. I distinctly remember battery health was at 100% during Christmas. Its now down to 97%! Have been using the 20W fast charger since mid-November. Sister also has been using her 11 since slightly before that but she mostly uses her iPad charger which i believe is 12W. Her battery health is at 100%. I guess I'll go back to the 5W charger now & only use fast charger when extremely necessary.
PPS is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks