Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 05:01   #13561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Among SE 2020, 11, 12 mini & XR which one do you guys feel is a vfm phone?

This would be for better half upgrading from iPhone 6. I don't want to stretch beyond 50k and iPhone 11 at 51.9k(Amazon) is what I was eyeing but if 12 mini is really worth the extra 15k(available for 66.9k in Amazon) over 11

No point of setting a budget if you are not going to stick to it . Since you are upgrading from 6, so SE goes out of window. Xr should also be eliminated just for the camera setup alone.
I'd say go for 11. Major thing you will be loosing out is on oled panel in 12 mini but that's not worth spending another 15 grands. Also battery life will be compromised when compared to 11. And depending on what the seller is selling, if you choose 11, you might just get lucky with the full accessory set in the box itself.
Save the 15 grand and get 11. If you still want to spend the extra 15, invest that in a good case and AirPods along with 11.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 07:44   #13562
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Among SE 2020, 11, 12 mini & XR which one do you guys feel is a vfm phone? I know apple and vfm don’t go in a single sentence but still if one has to choose among these which one is the best value currently?

This would be for better half upgrading from iPhone 6.
12 mini absolutely! Seeing that your wife is moving from iPhone 6 (looks like she hold on to the device for a few years), it is good to get something future-proof. 5G is still new but could be a regular fixture in the next couple of years.
SE gives almost the same experience as of the 6 including the form factor, XR feels bulky and ancient, and 11 is not bad but a compromise compared to the 12.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:40   #13563
Team-BHP Support

There’s a small gripe that I have. With an incoming WhatsApp video call, the only way to mute a call is by using the mute rocker button on the side. Pressing the volume up/down buttons won’t mute the incoming video call. I wish it worked that way just like it did with the normal calls. I presume it’s true for others too?
Old 21st February 2021, 11:40   #13564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
There’s a small gripe that I have. With an incoming WhatsApp video call, the only way to mute a call is by using the mute rocker button on the side. Pressing the volume up/down buttons won’t mute the incoming video call. I wish it worked that way just like it did with the normal calls. I presume it’s true for others too?
Try pressing the power button, the screen might turn off but can be woken up in case you decide to answer by double-tapping the screen.
Or at least that's how it used to be. Haven't received a WhatsApp video call in a while so can not confirm.
Old 21st February 2021, 11:42   #13565
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Guys - Recently got myself an iPhone 11 from One Plus 3. Trying to figure out if there's a way to block the spam SMS's that I receive in our lovely country. iPhone's native Message is dumb & can't seem to learn the pattern; I've been going through the rigmarole of opening every spam SMS->info->Block caller etc. Yet iOS doesn't seem to understand the pattern & block the messages. It is really very annoying!

I really miss SMS Organiser that's available on Android - what a fantastic messaging app that is!

Is there any way to make dumb iOS smart about this aspect?
Folks, anyone has a solution to this?
Old 21st February 2021, 14:27   #13566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This would be for better half upgrading from iPhone 6. I don’t want to stretch beyond 50k and iPhone 11 at 51.9k(Amazon) is what I was eyeing but if 12 mini is really worth the extra 15k(available for 66.9k in Amazon) over 11, might pick it up. Looking forward to suggestions. TIA
Soumen, your better half upgrading from an iPhone 6 means she keeps her phone for a really long time. I would suggest investing in the iPhone 12 Mini which being the latest would keep her going for quite a few years. Makes more sense to spend the 15k over the 11 since you seem fine with the spend.

I am using the 11 since ~1.4 years, it’s pretty good too, but the 12 Mini is definitely a much better phone in every way and worth the additional spend.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 14:36   #13567
BHPian

Quote:
Among SE 2020, 11, 12 mini & XR which one do you guys feel is a vfm phone? I know apple and vfm don’t go in a single sentence but still if one has to choose among these which one is the best value currently?

This would be for better half upgrading from iPhone 6. I don’t want to stretch beyond 50k and iPhone 11 at 51.9k(Amazon) is what I was eyeing but if 12 mini is really worth the extra 15k(available for 66.9k in Amazon) over 11, might pick it up. Looking forward to suggestions. TIA
The primary difference between the 11 and 12 mini is the screen size. With smaller dimensions comes a smaller battery. I would suggest seeing the 12 mini in person and only if it is comfortable to operate consider buying it. My sister recently upgraded from a 6s to a 11 and she found it very easy getting used to the size of the 11. Being an iPhone the support for the 11 will go on for 4-5 years easily so you will not lose out much on that front.

My suggestion is to save the 15k and get the 11 and then later on or along with the phone get a good quality case and the airpods to complement the phone.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 15:15   #13568
BHPian

Quote:
- SE being exactly the same asthetically wouldn’t make for an upgrade per se. Surely, the specs will make up for it; but then you will not really feel that you’re using a new device.
Also, I heard that the battery life in the SE isn’t very impressive.

- XR is too old to get now & most importantly if your wife intends to keep it for long.

- Between the 11 & 12 Mini, I would suggest the 12 Mini. Bettter specs, newer design, more future proof.
But please keep in mind the following points before taking the plunge..
1. It’s a really small phone & even people who have been using the 6’s & 7’s find it really small. Personal experience here too.
I was hell bent on getting the 12 Mini initially; but after checking out in person, gave up on the idea of getting one. It’s really small.
2. And probably the most important point is the poor battery life. Remember, with time (say 2.5-3 years) it’ll get worse. Even if you swap the battery 2/3 years down the line, the performance wouldn’t restore to what it was when new.

Apart from these 2 things, the 12 Mini is a fantastic buy, especially with the ongoing discounts.

If you’re ok with the above deal breakers, then surely 12 Mini it is. Else, you are better off with the 11.

Do check the above 2 phones personally before finalising.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 21st February 2021 at 15:17.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:19   #13569
BHPian

Why isn't apple making slim phones like the 6s anymore? That was so beautiful to hold.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:30   #13570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Try pressing the power button, the screen might turn off but can be woken up in case you decide to answer by double-tapping the screen.
Or at least that's how it used to be. Haven't received a WhatsApp video call in a while so can not confirm.
Well tried both things today (Volume rocker and power button). Does not works as expected and had to resort to the physical mute switch only to mute incoming tone. So in short your gripe is well justified. Send a feedback to the app developer.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:41   #13571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Why isn't apple making slim phones like the 6s anymore? That was so beautiful to hold.
I for one and am sure there are a lot of folks out there who would prefer a thicker phone as long as Apple (even other manufacturers) give a bigger, long lasting/more powerful battery.

With all that modern phones do nowadays battery life is paramount over form factor.

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:46   #13572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Well, I am using ESim for my bank registered personal number and physical sim for official purposes in my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Switch off your physical sim from settings and try to get the device registered first time for UPI with your esim.
I don't use a second number and I already have the HDFC registered UPI address. I can't delete the old one nor create a new one as the HDFC UPI link doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
No such issues for me in my iPhone 11 Pro. my personal no is used for banking purpose and it's Airtel eSIM only. Been using it since Nov 2019 without much fuss.
HDFC UPI? The HDFC Bank app works fine for me, but not UPI.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:58   #13573
BHPian

I ordered an Iphone12 Mini today for my mom on Amazon. Same day delivery too.

We wanted a small form factor as she is upgrading from Iphone 7. Similar weight as 7 with better screen.

There is a Rs 11,000/- straight discount on the 12 Mini with discounts of Rs.6000 on HDFC credit card and Rs.5000 on Amazon 5k. That is 15% discount on MRP for the 64GB model. Along with this if someone has Diners black or Infinia, the cashback as 15x reward points is huge. 12 mini will essentially be less than 50K. (Not really sure how many points will come finally).

11 screen resolution was lesser than Iphone 6s plus one. That was one of the reasons, I did not pick one even though my friend was willing to sell a brand new one for 40k. (11 is now sold)

For someone who is going to hold for longtime, 12 series maybe a better bet.
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:15   #13574
BHPian

Placed an order for an iPhone 12 Mini in exchange of my wife's troublesome 6S. No real discounts as I don't have HDFC cards, but I guess I would get the 5% cashback from Amazon.

Yet, it is by far the most expensive phone purchase I've ever made. And heck, the Mini is the cheapest current year iPhone. How ironic!

BTW, I understand that the box does not come with a charging brick. Do I have to buy a new Apple charging brick or would the 6S charging brick work with the 12 mini? Would it be slow? What is the charging voltage of the 12 series? 5v or 9v or both?
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:17   #13575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
BTW, I understand that the box does not come with a charging brick. Do I have to buy a new Apple charging brick or would the 6S charging brick work with the 12 mini? Would it be slow? What is the charging voltage of the 12 series? 5v or 9v or both?
The 6s charging brick will work just fine albeit at a slower speed. But since the battery capacity of the 12 Mini is less, it should take nearly the same time to charge as the 6s. However, the Mini does support a 20W fast charging.

IMPORTANT: Folks, have you guys noticed the infamous 'green tint' issue in your 12 series iPhones? This is supposedly a concerning issue for the 12 series iPhones.

I am too seeing this in my 12 Pro.

Apple has silently released a patch for this with the iOS 14.5 Beta 2; however, around 40% people say that the issue is persistent.

Just google iPhone 12 green tint issue and you can a see a host of info & videos on how to check the same on your 12!

Here's also a news article on the same,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...h=326a6bf82dc7
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks