Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 10:43   #13621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

I have an iPhone 11 Pro bought around Dec 2019 has been drastically decreased in battery health. it's right now in 82% with in 1.5 years.

I have been using RAEGR wireless charger most of the time and cable in the car.

anyone has faced the same issue so far. not sure whether my charging pattern is wrong or wireless charger has done adverse effect on battery.

I always keep the Optimized Battery Charging ON only.

If you use higher wattage chargers, your battery life will reduce. I use the old 5w charger and my battery health is 96%. I use my phone quite a bit. Got the same phone about a month after its release from US. The 18w charger is still in the box.

Also, please wait for 14.5 update. Some beta testers have all reported a jump in their battery health after 14.5. The calibration software in the current iOS versions appears to be faulty. Some beta testers have reported a drop too. If your battery has a problem, post 14.5's re-calibration, you might get a free battery replacement.

https://bgr.com/tech/ios-14-5-new-fe...ne-11-5919926/
carrerastrax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 00:08   #13622
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I have a iPhone 6s which was my alternate phone. Due to some travel plans I gave that phone to my father-in-law who used some gmail ID to set it up and activated find my phone option. Covid strikes and we lost him. He was a darling person to all of us.
So I have the phone now without passcodes or iCloud details. Tried restoring it through iTunes with his known email IDs but at activation mode it is not recognising the email ID which we have. Apple customer care is also not able to help.
Can anyone guide me out on this issue
Old 18th April 2021, 10:15   #13623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
Can anyone guide me out on this issue
I really doubt what can be done here; Apple has been unconditionally steadfast when it comes to helping unlock phones. (They have refused to help the FBI/CIA to unlock a terrorist's phone in the past).

This is snooping around but check his browser history for the Gmail account he used; maybe try contacting Google for legacy access (I think they allow this if a person has passed and the cops give some authorization), and then maybe reset password?
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 10:18   #13624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Also, please wait for 14.5 update. Some beta testers have all reported a jump in their battery health after 14.5. The calibration software in the current iOS versions appears to be faulty. Some beta testers have reported a drop too. If your battery has a problem, post 14.5's re-calibration, you might get a free battery replacement.

Thanks for the update on 14.5. I was beginning to wonder what's gone wrong with my 11Pro, as it drops considerably in just one day with moderate usage!
Old 18th April 2021, 10:23   #13625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post

Good News am really waiting for 14.5 iOS release and plan for battery replacement, if there's a need.

I have been using RAEGR ARC 200 10 W wireless charger. hoping that it will drain the battery lesser than conventional. but the result is of contrary Even my Airpod Pro is also been charged in this pad. Do we have any way to assess the Airpod Pro batttery status. need to check for my satisfaction.
Old 19th April 2021, 13:55   #13626
BHPian

Anyone here using the iPhone SE 2020 with dual sim? Is there any significant change in battery backup when used with dual sim? I am presently using mine with only the physical sim. Thinking of getting the e-sim activated so that I don’t need to carry a second device for my alternate number. Just wondering if the already not so good battery back up will get even worse with two connections.
Old 19th April 2021, 14:04   #13627
Team-BHP Support

Got an iPhone 12 mini (blue, 128 GB) on the weekend, and absolutely love the size; feels significantly smaller in hand compared to the 11 pro. Happy that Apple did not go stingy with the feature-set for the small screen model.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:00   #13628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, has anyone here tried ordering from Nomad.com? They seem to have very good quality leather cases for Apple products but they ship from US.
Yes, got my iPhone 12 Pro case a while back. The case itself is built really good, feels really premium - but the volume/power buttons aren't as responsive as I need them to be. I barely ever use the volume buttons at all (I just use the sliding volume feature from the control centre) so it's not as much of an issue, but it's still a drawback. The leather is slowly starting to slow it's patina too, which I'm exited for.

They ship through FedEx and I paid around ₹1500 for import duties, so be ready to pay that additional fee.

The brown leather wrapping the dark blue iPhone 12 Pro's cameras was definitely worth it for me
Old 19th April 2021, 17:15   #13629
BHPian

Quick question: I just realized that I never shutdown my iPhone - like ever. I shutdown my work laptop once a week. But my phones - never. Are these things designed to be on throughout their lifetime? Should we follow a process of shutting down the phone for perhaps one night in a week or fortnight or not needed at all? The only time the phone reboots is when I update it.
Old 19th April 2021, 18:36   #13630
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have an iPhone 11 Pro bought around Dec 2019 has been drastically decreased in battery health. it's right now in 82% with in 1.5 years.
anyone has faced the same issue so far. not sure whether my charging pattern is wrong or wireless charger has done adverse effect on battery.
I guess thats too much reduction in battery health. 11 pro is one of the best iPhones with battery backup and comparatively larger battery 3046 mAh battery.(12 pro is around 2815mAh).

From my experience below are few things that consume battery.
> Background apps.
> Push enabled in mail apps.
> Notifications - Whatsapp main culprit - mute is must.
> GPS - use Allow once or Allow while using
> Bluetooth - tun off when not required.

Additionally there are lot other things which help reduce battery usage.
Old 19th April 2021, 22:51   #13631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPauzner View Post
Yes, got my iPhone 12 Pro case a while back. The case itself is built really good, feels really premium - but the volume/power buttons aren't as responsive as I need them to be. I barely ever use the volume buttons at all (I just use the sliding volume feature from the control centre) so it's not as much of an issue, but it's still a drawback. The leather is slowly starting to slow it's patina too, which I'm exited for.

They ship through FedEx and I paid around ₹1500 for import duties, so be ready to pay that additional fee.

The brown leather wrapping the dark blue iPhone 12 Pro's cameras was definitely worth it for me

Many thanks for this information. So the import duties make it quite expensive unless you are buying one of the discounted ones. How many days did it take to reach you?
Old 19th April 2021, 23:42   #13632
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I bought the iPhone 11 Pro in November 2019. I have 93% of battery life left. I have only used the fast charger that came in the box.
Old 20th April 2021, 01:37   #13633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Many thanks for this information. So the import duties make it quite expensive unless you are buying one of the discounted ones. How many days did it take to reach you?
It took me about 4-5 days, which isn't that bad all things considered (Pandemic, shipping from the US during the height of the pandemic). I used a discount code from a Youtuber (MobileReviews Eh) that bought the cost to $30 (for the Rustic Brown Rugged Case), $11 shipping and ₹1500 tax, which is basically another $20 added on top of the total price. FedEx essentially pays the import duties for you and you pay them back (they call it a holding charge I believe, I could be wrong there).

So you arrive at a total of $61, which is pretty expensive, but you pay for the quality leather and all-in-all, a genuine tough American product. Personally, if it costed more than that I'd be a little skeptical of paying so much. Plenty of awesome cases to go around, and unless you're a leather fanatic, it doesn't make much sense to drop so much money on it (relative of course, one man's cotton is another man's leather).

If you're looking for something quick and cheap, Spigen makes decent cases that's available on Amazon (I use the Liquid Air Armor sometimes, when I'm feeling it). Protection is pretty much the same - you'd be hard pressed to find a difference when it comes to real-life protection. Most good quality cases protect scratching against small falls or such. I'm a relatively clumsy person and I've dropped my phone with both cases on, both protected the phone from any scratches/dents. Don't let those Youtuber drop tests fool you, a good quality screen-guard and case will be enough for a vast majority of people.
TheRealPauzner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 09:09   #13634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Quick question: I just realized that I never shutdown my iPhone - like ever. I shutdown my work laptop once a week. But my phones - never. Are these things designed to be on throughout their lifetime? Should we follow a process of shutting down the phone for perhaps one night in a week or fortnight or not needed at all? The only time the phone reboots is when I update it.
These things are designed to run 24/7. So, the answer is NO, there's no specific need to reboot / shutdown a mobile device. On a side note, I haven't shut down my Macs for the past 2+ years. I simply close the lid and open it once required, no concerns so far. The only times they were rebooted were during the update process. On the contrary, my work laptop which is running Windows 10 requires a weekly restart/shutdown at least to keep things going without sluggishness.
Old 20th April 2021, 09:14   #13635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
These things are designed to run 24/7. So, the answer is NO, there's no specific need to reboot / shutdown a mobile device. On a side note, I haven't shut down my Macs for the past 2+ years. I simply close the lid and open it once required, no concerns so far. The only times they were rebooted were during the update process. On the contrary, my work laptop which is running Windows 10 requires a weekly restart/shutdown at least to keep things going without sluggishness.

I still can't wrap my head around not shutting down Macs for so long. In my family, I have had 3 MacBooks gone bust due to this. And they were relatively new. The mother board gave up and Apple gave us a bill of 50k (each) to fix them. After these incidents, I diligently shut down my MB Air at EOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPauzner View Post
It took me about 4-5 days,
Alright, this gives me a lot of confidence to order from them. They have some good quality cool stuff which are not available in India.

Last edited by Pancham : 20th April 2021 at 09:17.

Most Viewed