Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2021, 15:34   #13711
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I dropped my iPhone 12 while it was charging two weeks ago. Been using it like this since then. Have applied cello tape over the cracks to avoid any injuries and also using it with a case. Is it ok to use it like this for another 1 month , as service Center is closed due to lockdown? Have Airtel insurance for the iPhone. Planning to claim it once lockdown is over. No issues with camera or anything else. Also display is not broken.
Applied a dbrand MKBHD skin. Was easy to apply. May be I will use it like this without changing the back glass.
The iPhone Thread-61d01ff28c694fecb635b8cdd2311c70.jpeg
sairamboko is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 07:46   #13712
Team-BHP Support

A friend's iPhone XR has screen issue. I am attaching a picture for reference.

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20210528-19.02.23.jpeg

He visited the service center in Patna yesterday. [I am not sure if it is an authorized one]. They looked at the handset and said that this happened because of some external pressure was applied. How can they conclude so without verifying? Upon insisting they have taken a picture of the issue and sent it to higher up / concerned hardware support guys [this is what we can assume].

While he will patiently wait for the outcome, what if it is rejected and is there a way to find out if Apple Support is legit at Patna? And what should the next course of action be if the claim is not entertained?

How to find out the list of authorized service centers?

Thanks .
Old 12th June 2021, 08:35   #13713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A friend's iPhone XR has screen issue.
There are couple of ways that I know of, to go about this.

1. I didn’t know your friend’s postal code so, I googled for Patna post office Pin code and got 800008. I entered that pin code and got this.
https://locate.apple.com/in/en/servi...address=800008

You can change the pin code to the relevant area, maybe that may bring up better search results. Pl try to call up the service centre before visiting, better to schedule an appointment, some service centres may not entertain without an appointment pl.

2. Pl visit this site and provide your iPhone details and the issue you are facing, it’s an easy step by step process to troubleshoot and / or set up service call.
https://getsupport.apple.com/

3. If your iPhone is out of warranty and you wish to tinker with it a bit and, you are open to risking it with repair outside authorised service centre in the hope of getting a cheaper solution then, there is a thread for that too.
You could post your query there and / or Google for shops that provide iPhone services and hope for the best. *fingers crossed*.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5004399 (3rd-party repairs of Apple products)

4. Also, you could Google for this issue and check what people are saying for this kind of issue as in, is it a common issue and, what is the fix for it, so you can approach the authorised / unauthorised service centres more confidently and, they are less likely to take you for a ride.

There is no right or wrong choice in choosing a service centre. I went to authorised service centre for my iPhone even though my warranty was over. My family members don’t care about authorised / unauthorised so they got their Apple devices fixed at one of the shops at Crawford market. It’s been around 4 months now and, there have been no problems with any of our devices

Pl help your friend to calmly think over everything before taking a decision, this problem is important but not urgent.
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 10:29   #13714
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A friend's iPhone XR has screen issue. I am attaching a picture for reference.

While he will patiently wait for the outcome, what if it is rejected and is there a way to find out if Apple Support is legit at Patna? And what should the next course of action be if the claim is not entertained?

In 2019 April - on day 2 after my purchase of IP XR this exact issue happened ! Reason given was : some external pressure applied . I was devastated and took to authorised centre and they changed the display (obviously free of cost !!) 27 months on its holding on well. Its a common problem. I guess that your friend may be out of warranty. I had changed my ip6s + screen 2-3 times in outside shops (almost as good as original for 2k or so) this can be best way for your friends phone too. XR original display can pull him back by roughly 12-14 k.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th June 2021 at 18:50. Reason: Trimmed quoted post, plus typos / short-forms.
vishnana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 11:12   #13715
BHPian

Have an iphone 6s plus and there is a charging issue that propped up since a few days ago.It is 5 years old.
Anyone have any idea about the cost of a charging cable.Also does APPLE SHINE sell charging cables?.Do the online stores have genuine ones?
Old 13th June 2021, 19:01   #13716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
In 2019 April - on day 2 after my purchase of IP XR this exact issue happened ! Reason given was : some external pressure applied. I was devastated and took to authorised centre and they changed the display (obviously free of cost !!) 27 months on its holding on well. Its a common problem. I guess that your friend may be out of warranty. I had changed my ip6s + screen 2-3 times in outside shops (almost as good as original for 2k or so) this can be best way for your friends phone too. XR original display can pull him back by roughly 12-14 k.
Thanks!

May I know where was this phone shown and display changed? Official address with e-mail address [if available] would certainly be of help.

Thanks .
Old 14th June 2021, 13:44   #13717
Senior - BHPian

Dear forum members,

I am irritated by Boodmo sending me spam messages 2-3 times a day on my iPhone. Is there a way in iPhone to hide a particular message by keyword such as Boodmo? The message comes from senders such as QP-Boodmo.

I have clicked on “hide alerts” and “block sender” but it does not seem to work.

What I have observed is that if I again go to info in the message sender name, the option of block this caller is displayed in red making me assume that the blocking option is not working. I am on iOS 14.5 at present in my iPhone 11.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 14th June 2021 at 13:52.
Old 14th June 2021, 15:16   #13718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Dear forum members,
I am irritated by Boodmo sending me spam messages 2-3 times a day on my iPhone. Is there a way in iPhone to hide a particular message by keyword such as Boodmo? The message comes from senders such as QP-Boodmo.
I have clicked on “hide alerts” and “block sender” but it does not seem to work.
I use Verosms for a similar situation with another know spammer "Lenskart". It is a paid app by an Indian developer (Support your devs!!!) & uses machine learning to make a whitelist and blocklist for filtering SMS in iMessage.

There is an option for your own Whitelist and Blacklist. I use the Blacklist option to block out such spammers.

This is as close to as getting something like SMS Organiser (Microsoft) or truecaller on android with the limitations of iOS.

Last edited by car_addict : 14th June 2021 at 15:17. Reason: Added iMessage
car_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:18   #13719
Senior - BHPian

Blocking SMSs by name won't work, you have to block the number. Try to dial the sender SMS and you'll get a number, block that and it will work. This is what I do.

If the sender changes his number, you're back to square one, although this rarely happens. You can use a paid app for filtering but the downside is that it will have access to all SMSs, including bank OTPs etc.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th June 2021 at 15:21.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 12:57   #13720
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any sneak peek at what's coming up in the IPhone 13 (or 12S or whatever) that's due in Sep/Oct this year? I am looking at a bigger phone and would like to switch from my 11 Pro. It seemed nice and compact when I got it, but now with increased usage of emails, video calls and doc sharing, it feels very small and inconvenient at times. So I was thinking of the 13 Pro Max . But if it doesnt have anything substantial over the 12 Pro Max, maybe I could upgrade right away. The other option is to move to Android- Samsung S21 Plus/Ultra, although it means moving out of the seamless iPhone/Macbook integration. But its cheaper than the IPhone 13 Pro Max for sure.
Old 17th June 2021, 13:00   #13721
Senior - BHPian

My iPhone 11 Pro has a an audio problem. The volume on the handset ear piece is very low. Works well with headset. What could be the issue?
Old 17th June 2021, 13:23   #13722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
My iPhone 11 Pro has a an audio problem. The volume on the handset ear piece is very low. Works well with headset. What could be the issue?
Clean the ear speakers carefully. Dust deposits clog the mesh. If you don’t want to do it yourself, visit apple service center, they do it for free. In same way also please get charging socket cleaned.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 13:43   #13723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Dust could have formed in Speaker area/ear piece, iCare authorized service center will remove the dirt if it is under warranty.

For more information : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203794
Old 17th June 2021, 19:10   #13724
Senior - BHPian

I am using iPhone SE first edition running on iOS 14.6. Battery is a few months old and at 98% health.
I use iBooks a lot to read current fiction. I've been noticing for the past few months that iBooks keeps crashing often and randomly. Initially thought it was only during battery saver mode, but now seeing it even with a fully charged battery. The screen just freezes and the current reading book fails to open. Sometimes goes into a black screen and then back to Home Screen after a few seconds.
Anyone else noticed such behavior?
Old 18th June 2021, 01:48   #13725
BHPian

Hi guys

Please suggest me a good case/guard for my 11 pro. It’s a new device and I am open to all kinds of suggestions. Thank you!

Most Viewed