Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2021, 21:35   #13756
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 373
Thanked: 1,004 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Update
Anyone else can share their battery health experiences of their iPhone 12 models?
You are not alone my friend, my 5 month old iPhone 12 Proís battery health has dropped to 99%.

I too was very cautious about the usage & charging cycles. Seldom did I let the charge drop below 20%; and used to charge upto 95% max!

I use the phone for regular usage like calls, WA, Insta, YT & streaming apps. No games or any RAM intensive content.

I seriously donít understand the logic behind the working of this battery health thing of iPhones!
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:54   #13757
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,038
Thanked: 10,298 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I don't think this is related to your battery health going down by 2%. As mentioned by other fellow members as well, this battery health thing is more of a gimmicky stuff and may not reflect reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post
I am not sure why some members are mentioning that battery health indicator on iPhone is gimmicky. It is actually not. Battery health indicator is directly proportional to the amount of time it can sustain the charge.
I tend to agree with SourPai. How can the battery health not related to how many hours you get out of your battery life/charge cycle? I have personally experienced phenomenal battery life as mentioned in my previous posts with maximum being 37 hours to a single charge which is "unreal" and "unheard" of any smartphones out there in the market.

But, now with my battery life at 98% there is a significant dip and I don't think I will ever cross the 30 hours in a single charge. Let me try if that works.

Latest update : I am currently at 60% battery after 15 hours after a light usage since last night. Let's see for this cycle how long I can stretch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
You are not alone my friend, my 5 month old iPhone 12 Proís battery health has dropped to 99%.

I too was very cautious about the usage & charging cycles. Seldom did I let the charge drop below 20%; and used to charge upto 95% max!

I use the phone for regular usage like calls, WA, Insta, YT & streaming apps. No games or any RAM intensive content.

I seriously donít understand the logic behind the working of this battery health thing of iPhones!
My usage is exactly same as yours. No gaming, Movie streaming etc. But, heavy on phone calls, teams, WA, YT, IG, etc.

Keep an eye on that % as 99%-98% happens very quickly. It happened literally in a few days for me.

How many hours do you get out of a single charge?
mobike008 is offline  
Old 9th July 2021, 23:21   #13758
Senior - BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,143
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys, I feel we discussed this before, donít obsess with this battery percentage thing. I think Apple has done this to drive people a little crazy

Whatís the point in doing all this? The battery will last as much as it will last. Just use the phone as itís meant to be used, donít bother with what percentage battery is left or wait till itís 15-20 percent before charging.

Instead of the phone battery taking over your life, you use the phone as you want. Trust me after unnecessarily wasting time on this aspect you will prolong your battery percentage or battery life by say 2-3 months not more.

Enjoy the phone and charge anytime as per your needs/requirements.

Of course it goes without saying, your phone, your battery percentage, to obsess over or not and your life.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 23:32   #13759
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 373
Thanked: 1,004 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How many hours do you get out of a single charge?
I usually charge in the range of 90 - 95% in the morning at 8:00 am. With a full dayís use (as I mentioned earlier) I end up with 20-25% by 11pm in the night.
So thatís like 15 hrs of usage time!
ashvek3141 is offline  
Old 9th July 2021, 23:39   #13760
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 916
Thanked: 1,432 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Guys, I feel we discussed this before, donít obsess with this battery percentage thing. I think Apple has done this to drive people a little crazy

Whatís the point in doing all this? The battery will last as much as it will last. Just use the phone as itís meant to be used, donít bother with what percentage battery is left or wait till itís 15-20 percent before charging.

Instead of the phone battery taking over your life, you use the phone as you want. Trust me after unnecessarily wasting time on this aspect you will prolong your battery percentage or battery life by say 2-3 months not more.

Enjoy the phone and charge anytime as per your needs/requirements.

Of course it goes without saying, your phone, your battery percentage, to obsess over or not and your life.

Cheers
I kind of agree here!! Earlier I used to obsess too much about this subject too. I will be always conscious of when to charge, how much to charge etc.
When I bought my iphone8, which was my last phone, it was kind of a compromise for me. I wanted to buy iphone10 which was the latest at that point, but couldn't afford it at that price. I didn't take care of my iphone8 as much as I typically would to my phone. Also, I am pretty heavy on playing games on the phone. I play a particular game which requires at least 2-2.5 hours of play time. My typical average screen time is around 5 hours everyday.

To be honest, I didn't see that drastic difference in the battery life after 2 years of use then my previous 2 iphones (4 & 6). I bought an iPhone11 after the 8 and I have been a bit more conscious with this one. But not to the obsession level and yet I feel after an year of use (similar usage as iphone8), I think battery life drop is comparable to what I felt with iphone8.

After this realization, I have stopped fussing that much about when to charge and how much to charge the phone.

These are just my personal observations and I didn't use any methods to measure actual battery life. More of a seats from the pants feeling.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline  
Old 11th July 2021, 14:37   #13761
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/NCR
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 1,457 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

My iPhone XR is approaching its 3rd year and the battery health is at 86%. Performance wise itís as good as it was on Day 1. So yeah it doesnít bother me much.
Pancham is offline  
Old 11th July 2021, 23:10   #13762
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 6,013
Thanked: 5,755 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Please suggest a place in Bandra,Mumbai area preferbaly where I can get my iPhone 7 battery replaced ?
The battery health shows 78% ďServiceĒ

I use this phone for my secondary number so battery life isnít actually much of a requirement however the phone has slowed down significantly and itís frustrating to use it even for the few minutes a day that I need to operate it for WhatsApp , Amazon music app for airplay streaming and at times browsing. The music airplay often crashes randomly.

I have seen batteries on Amazon for 1500 to 2000₹ but not sure where to get it installed and which one to buy. Donít mind paying a bit more to get it serviced at an Apple service Center but now sure if they provide this for phones out of warranty and what would they charge ?
Sahil is offline  
Old 12th July 2021, 14:06   #13763
Senior - BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,143
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Please suggest a place in Bandra,Mumbai area preferbaly where I can get my iPhone 7 battery replaced ?
Sahil go to Maple on Linking Road, you can’t miss it, it’s a huge place. It’s a little before Foodhall (from the Bandra side, before the signal) but on the opposite side. They have an authorised service centre, pretty organised and decent place.

Am sure they would replace the battery for any Apple phone as long as you are paying. No idea about the cost though.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 12th July 2021 at 14:08.
Cyborg is offline  
Old 20th July 2021, 11:35   #13764
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Raipur
Posts: 368
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...le-iphone-nso/

Quote:
Despite the hype, iPhone security no match for NSO spyware.
International investigation finds 23 Apple devices that were successfully hacked
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:35   #13765
BHPian
 
Shresth_EV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 154
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Update
Currently on the latest OS 14.6. Not sure if the update is the culprit or something else.

Anyone else can share their battery health experiences of their iPhone 12 models?
iPhone 12, (Bought 01/11/20)
My present battery health is 97%. I have mostly used it moderately, gave around 10h avg SoT (I put it to charge just before going to dinner and remove charger before sleeping)

I exchanged this one for my 4.5yo 6S which was at 77% health in 2020. I donít exactly know how much it had deteriorated in this time frame of roughly 8mo, since we didnít have this battery health system back in 2015. But yes, Iíve had 3% drop in 8mo on iPhone 12.

I have no complaints with battery life yet, but yes, it seems too quick to see degradation imho.

Apple did push a battery Health recalibration update in iOS14.5, but it was only for iPhone 11 series. I guess they need to extend the recalibration to 12 series, just in case.

On a assuring note, Iíve read that in batteries, the degradation is non linear, ie in first few years, it degrades faster but with time, rate of degradation slows down. So you donít need to worry that if in less than an year, you battery went from 100 to 90, it will reach 80 next year. My momís iPhone XR is at 89% after nearly 2.5y (Oct 18í)

Side advice : Donít use wireless charging if possible ó itís heat which is the enemy of batteries. Wireless charging produces lots of heat. So if youíre doing that, try to avoid it.
Shresth_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:17   #13766
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,038
Thanked: 10,298 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
On a assuring note, Iíve read that in batteries, the degradation is non linear, ie in first few years, it degrades faster but with time, rate of degradation slows down. So you donít need to worry that if in less than an year, you battery went from 100 to 90, it will reach 80 next year. My momís iPhone XR is at 89% after nearly 2.5y (Oct 18í)

Side advice : Donít use wireless charging if possible ó itís heat which is the enemy of batteries. Wireless charging produces lots of heat. So if youíre doing that, try to avoid it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not worried about long-term degradation as I normally keep my iPhone only for 18-24 months. As highlighted before, I buy the alternate released model. I had XS Max before and skipped 11 and got the 12 promax. I will skip 13 and then will get the 14 (assuming they call it that) in September 2022.

That's a good point on wireless charging. Initially, I used to charge the phone wirelessly in my car. But, I realized that not only charging is slow but, also it produces a lot of heat. Therefore, I stopped it and use a wired charging in my car despite the wireless charging feature available.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 03:54   #13767
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,139
Thanked: 3,854 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's a good point on wireless charging. Initially, I used to charge the phone wirelessly in my car. But, I realized that not only charging is slow but, also it produces a lot of heat. Therefore, I stopped it and use a wired charging in my car despite the wireless charging feature available.
I have a 12 Pro Max and I wireless charge it every night. Its a 15w wireless pad but I have it connected to the smaller slower iPhone charger and so the phone charges slowly through the night. My phone is around 4-5 months old and the battery health is still 100%

I agree with the car wireless chargers though. The one in my Lexus also heats up my phone a lot. I guess it is to do with enclosed space but I dont wireless charge unless I have to. Its good then that the iPhone 12 Pro Max battery life is so freakishly awesome. I usually hit the bed with a comfortable 40%+ remaining everyday.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 25th July 2021, 09:15   #13768
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,614
Thanked: 10,265 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

My 11 has been overheating quite a bit since updating to 14.7. Anyone else face the same?
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 26th July 2021, 07:23   #13769
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 492
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
My 11 has been overheating quite a bit since updating to 14.7. Anyone else face the same?
As usual with every major update, had the overheating issue for a day after the update. It's back to normal after that
bhp_maniac is offline  
Old 27th July 2021, 03:32   #13770
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,038
Thanked: 10,298 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its good then that the iPhone 12 Pro Max battery life is so freakishly awesome. I usually hit the bed with a comfortable 40%+ remaining everyday.
I never used a dedicated wireless charging for any of my iPhone in the past. I dont quite buy into the wireless charging concept as I feel it's still a nascent technology and charging speeds are usually slow and also heats up the phone.

Nothing to beat a fast charging adapter (Anker 20W) which charges my phone from 20%-80% in about 30 odd mins and from there on it's slower to the 100% mark and usually takes another 45 mins.

Yeah, I agree the battery life of the 12 Promax is awesome.
mobike008 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks