Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 19:27   #14131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Jaipur/Mumbai
Posts: 228
Thanked: 631 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Hi all, anyone got IPhone pro or pro max from the US? How much does it costs actually in USD? Is there any tax over and above the price mentioned on their official website?
Thanks.
sahil624 is offline  
Old 16th October 2021, 23:45   #14132
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,003
Thanked: 10,036 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, anyone got IPhone pro or pro max from the US? How much does it costs actually in USD? Is there any tax over and above the price mentioned on their official website?
Thanks.
I assume you are getting the latest which is iPhone 13 Pro or Promax? For the base version the price is

Iphone 13 Pro (128gb) : $999
Iphone 13 Pro Max (128gb) : $1099

There will be only one additional charge on top of above is the state tax.

I paid a ridiculous 10.1% tax on $1099. Depending on which state you order this additional cost will have to be borne.

Shipping is always free when ordered from Apple Store.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 09:42   #14133
Senior - BHPian
 
ruzbehxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MH02 to MH46
Posts: 1,203
Thanked: 4,119 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There will be only one additional charge on top of above is the state tax.

I paid a ridiculous 10.1% tax on $1099. Depending on which state you order this additional cost will have to be borne.
+1. Yes you are correct. I bought the Iphone 12 in March early this year from Los Angeles, and had to pay the tax and all. It worked put Rs. 10,000 cheaper than India. The main reason for buying it from US, was that the US and Canada Iphone 12 have a special antenna for 5G, although 5G is still a distant dream.
ruzbehxyz is offline  
Old 17th October 2021, 09:48   #14134
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,763
Thanked: 6,779 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, anyone got IPhone pro or pro max from the US? How much does it costs actually in USD? Is there any tax over and above the price mentioned on their official website?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There will be only one additional charge on top of above is the state tax.
See if you have anyone staying in 'tax-free' states (such as Delaware) and can receive it for you. The landed cost would then be just the cost on the Apple website.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th October 2021 at 09:54.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 23:31   #14135
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,003
Thanked: 10,036 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
+1. Yes you are correct. I bought the Iphone 12 in March early this year from Los Angeles, and had to pay the tax and all. It worked put Rs. 10,000 cheaper than India. The main reason for buying it from US, was that the US and Canada Iphone 12 have a special antenna for 5G, although 5G is still a distant dream.
Buying it from US will always work out cheaper than buying from India where the price difference is at least 30%-40% higher.

5G antenna is an important and future ready feature. Here, we have them available from early this year and we get it in pockets and the speeds are blazing fast.

I'm on the best network in US (AT&T) and coverage is pretty awesome as it's rare to lose signal even if I am in wilderness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
See if you have anyone staying in 'tax-free' states (such as Delaware) and can receive it for you. The landed cost would then be just the cost on the Apple website.
Well, Delaware is on other side of the country

I could have driven 160 miles to neighboring state (Oregon) which is also one of the 6 states in US where there is ZERO sales tax. But, I don't like asking favors or taking the trouble of getting it shipped there and then ship it here in Washington to save 100 bucks. Anyways, I will be paying a measly $13/month for the 13 Promax so it doesn't really matter.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 07:43   #14136
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 491
Thanked: 203 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The main reason for buying it from US, was that the US and Canada Iphone 12 have a special antenna for 5G, although 5G is still a distant dream.
Just to clarify, the international version of iPhones are 5G as well. However, the mmWave 5G antenna is included only in US versions and would only work within the US. Aesthetically, the patch is not much of a looker IMHO.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 08:36   #14137
Senior - BHPian
 
ruzbehxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MH02 to MH46
Posts: 1,203
Thanked: 4,119 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Just to clarify, the international version of iPhones are 5G as well. However, the mmWave 5G antenna is included only in US versions and would only work within the US. Aesthetically, the patch is not much of a looker IMHO.
Yes I am aware of that. I have bought my IPhone 12 from US itself. The special 5G antenna is for US and Canada. Besides this I have an inbuilt thing that the US products are better than the same items sold in other continues eg. IPhone, iPad, Dell laptops etc. This is just a personal thing. So whenever I have the option, I buy these items from US.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 10:02   #14138
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 358
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Would'nt Dubai (no tax) or SG (With VAT refund) be a better choice. They will still be cheaper than India by 20% - 25%
bharanidharang is offline  
Old 18th October 2021, 12:31   #14139
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 1,572 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

My iPhone SE screen has cracked after 6 years of usage. Fell in the petrol bunk while filling up the tank at ~120 Rs/ L. Went to buy a iPhone 13 mini, but only white was available. I would like to get the screen replaced. Seems easy enough in YouTube videos and web pages.

Wary to go to neighborhood repair shops as they may install a 5S screen. Also worried about shoddy work.

Have replaced the battery myself with inspiration from @audioholic, so it won't be too difficult. Plus as an orthopedic surgeon, I would like the challenge.


Where can I procure the screen? Mobispares in Bangalore seems to sell on amazon as well, maxbhi seems cheap but the reviews are uniformly bad. SP road in Bangalore would be a good place but again you need to know people there to get a good screen.

Mobispares listed address is quite close by. Should I go there? Also need the pentalobe screwdrivers and Phillips screwdrivers as I seem to have lost the Amazonbasics set that I had bought previously.
wildsdi5530 is offline  
Old 18th October 2021, 15:26   #14140
BHPian
 
SVMBLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Bangalore & NY
Posts: 33
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My iPhone SE screen has cracked after 6 years of usage. Fell in the petrol bunk while filling up the tank at ~120 Rs/ L. Went to buy a iPhone 13 mini, but only white was available. I would like to get the screen replaced. Seems easy enough in YouTube videos and web pages.

Wary to go to neighborhood repair shops as they may install a 5S screen. Also worried about shoddy work.
Can you try at iFix India, Koramangala, they have replaced 6s original Screen four years back, no issues found after replacement.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th October 2021 at 17:12. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
SVMBLR is offline  
Old 18th October 2021, 17:01   #14141
BHPian
 
@og_adi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 30
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post

Have replaced the battery myself with inspiration from @audioholic, so it won't be too difficult. Plus as an orthopedic surgeon, I would like the challenge.
Replacing the screen component isn't as easy as replacing the battery.
Are you looking to only replace the touch digitizer or both the LCD screen and touch digitizer? In case it is only the the touch digitizer you are looking to replace, you'll need some extra tools and the whole procedure to separate the existing touch digitizer and LCD screen, fitting a new digitizer is hard. I personally wouldn't recommend it. Replacing the LCD screen and touch digitizer (sold as a single unit) together is easier but will be a costlier affair. Buying a new phone or getting the existing phone fixed from a reputed place might be the best thing to do, but there is no harm in performing an experiment like this provided you have another phone handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Where can I procure the screen? Mobispares in Bangalore seems to sell on amazon as well, maxbhi seems cheap but the reviews are uniformly bad. SP road in Bangalore would be a good place but again you need to know people there to get a good screen.
My only experience with Maxbhi has been really painful. I tried to procure some parts for my LG Nexus 4 few years ago and though they delivered few of them, the others were either canceled (Website says in-stock but fulfillment ratio says 0%) or some executive would call and ask you to pay extra as the seller changes or whatever reason they come up with.
My friend had bought a rear camera module for his S8 from this online store called cellspare and found both the delivery experience and quality of the part to be good. Can't vouch for any future experiences though.

Note: None of these sellers sell original parts. They're all parts mostly originating from China and are built to only fit in. I don't think spending a lot on these parts would make sense as there is no guarantee is to how long they will work.

Link to iPhone SE parts-
https://www.cellspare.com/apple/ipho...lacement-parts

All the best!
@og_adi is offline  
Old 18th October 2021, 17:32   #14142
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 1,572 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
Can you try at iFix India, Koramangala, they have replaced 6s original Screen four years back, no issues found after replacement.
iFixit do come home and fix it. But the SE screen is similar to 5 and 5S, with no way of knowing.

Also I just want the parts.

Planning to change both. separating the digitizer seems too tough.
wildsdi5530 is offline  
Old 18th October 2021, 21:24   #14143
Newbie
 
aan nhu mare?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: ----
Posts: 20
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Can anyone suggest a good 3.5mm to Lightning adapter? I had ordered this one from Amazon, but it doesn't seem to work.

I have placed a return order, but all they offer is replacement with the same product, not a refund.
Update: Received a replacement for the faulty adapter and its working fine. Kudos to Amazon for a quick turnaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Why not apple's own product ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Given it's Apple, you're best off biting the bullet and getting their original one to avoid any incompatibility issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Don't skimp on this. Best to buy apple original.
Yes, that was my backup plan if the replacement had also turned out to be a dud. But all's well. If I do end up needing another one in the future, I'll buy the original Apple one.
aan nhu mare? is offline  
Old 18th October 2021, 23:47   #14144
BHPian
 
eyesice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TVM / Chennai
Posts: 220
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I have started exporing ios Shortcuts App - especially it's automation feature. A couple of things that I have managed to setup in my Skoda rapid's simple head unit are -
1. When Carplay is connected, it will speak out the ETA to my home + the weather conditions
2. When Carplay is disconnected, it will speak out the "Do not forget your phone!" message (VAG owners with RCD340 can relate )

I made a sample video here on youtube. More automation ideas and feedback will be useful -
eyesice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 14:01   #14145
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 2,203 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Another great invention from Apple. 2000Rs Apple polishing cloths. You should use only this cloth for cleaning Apple devices. Else it will scratch the screen. Never mind the ceramic shield.
https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/apple-i...e-gold-2581602
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-mm6f3_av2.jpg  


Last edited by poloman : 20th October 2021 at 14:03.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks