Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 10:14   #14311
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
This what sucks about Apple - they just don't want to repair. For even the smallest of problems their solution is to get a new one.
Yours is 6S, my mother's XR in August this year (was 13 months old just out of the warranty) just died one fine day like yours did.
That’s quite unfortunate. I can imagine the agony of getting bricked a flagship apple product and also lose data. Thankfully I think my phone must be backed up in cloud and my Mac, so I may not stand to lose much data. May be at Max 5% of it.

Coming to apple policies, I’m open to accepting faults in a product that sells in such big numbers; in my opinion that problem coefficient to sales is ok. But what matters is how the manufacturer responds to such issues and fixes it. When it comes to repair job, apple is just not good enough. According to some estimate (in words of apple service center), they would not repair around 65% of the cases and offer a replacement, but at unreasonable prices like my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Not sure if you already tried hard resetting the phone?

https://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone?amp=1
Yes, I did try multiple times to hard reset it. However, it didn’t help.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:54   #14312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
iPhone update woes! Updated my 6S to iOS 15.2 and it never booted again....It displays error 9 and says this iPhone can’t be restored due to unknown error.
I keep going back and forth on iOS versions on my devices to test my apps. This is not an uncommon scenario.

Do you have a Windows computer handy to troubleshoot ? This can be fixed if Device at least boots to DFU mode (apple logo and cable image on boot)

Name:  enterdfumode.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  26.1 KB
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 12:54   #14313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I keep going back and forth on iOS versions on my devices to test my apps. This is not an uncommon scenario.

Do you have a Windows computer handy to troubleshoot ? This can be fixed if Device at least boots to DFU mode (apple logo and cable image on boot)

Attachment 2246818
Hi,

The apple logo and then a black blank screen. No cable image even if I try to get into the DFU mode. So, not able to restore the phone. I have both a windows computer and a Mac, and tried restoring on both; however, unsuccessful.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 15:26   #14314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
cable image even if I try to get into the DFU mode. So, not able to restore the phone. I have both a windows computer
It fails in earlier boot process in that case. Tools like 3u might work in this scenario. (http://www.3u.com/)

http://www.3u.com/tutorial/articles/...-recovery-mode. (Look for "Enter recovery mode using 3uTools")

Once device is in recovery mode, 3u can also download firmware from Apple servers and flash it.

Tip : Try with a cheap third party cable. Apple's cable does not work with tools like these. https://twitter.com/checkra1n/status...222337?lang=en
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 19:04   #14315
Distinguished - BHPian

A little more than 4 yrs and my Spigen case has started to cut. I ordered another one from Amazon. Wonder what the hell does Spigen put into a rubber case to price it at 1699 MRP ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Took it to some 3rd party repair shops, finally one of them managed to turn the phone on but he said earlier guys had damaged some component so the phone cannot receive mobile signal, rest everything was working fine..
See if you can find a good service guy through references there, so you can salvage what you paid for it. We have a good person here, and he is quite sober when trying stuff. If he thinks there is a risk, he tells us. If it cant be repaired, then no service charges (normally).

Last edited by condor : 19th December 2021 at 19:07.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 09:34   #14316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Nope, all messages were there. It remains a mystery to this day. AI playing tricks on us?
And now another twist!

The iPhone Thread-52fa20c8bac1411c872fe4a1dc97ebe8.jpeg

No. of messages according to notification: 11
No. of messages according to app icon: 20
Actual no. of messages: 12!
aan nhu mare? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:38   #14317
BHPian

I have iPhone 11 purchased back in 2019 which is still going strong, used my sister in law's iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday and didn't really feel I am missing out on stuff which I would use.

Yes the cameras are really good and also the screen, but the apps I use load almost in the same time on my ip11 as well, no change in UI in terms of icons.

Prior to my iPhone 11 I had iPhone 6 which had the #bendgate issue but still lasted for good 4 years without any issues, just the battery gave up, if I could have changed the battery it could have easily lasted for another 1-1.5 years.

The only phone I would have bought outside of iPhone was a pixel, but given that google doesn't want to launch it's premium range in India I don't see me leaving iOS anytime soon.

Let's see what's in store for us with the iPhone 14, hoping for a design change as well, and also fingerprint scanner, not that Face ID is bad but given that wearing masks is going to be a norm now, it's better to have both Face ID and finger print for ease of use.
Old 21st December 2021, 23:08   #14318
BHPian

Guys, I have a query regarding the esim and physical sim use in India.

Scenario - I will be travelling to another country in Europe for a small duration project work - 5-6 months. I currently have a Jio sim here in India. My company will be providing me with another nano sim abroad which I need to use with my iphone (I have an iphone 12 mini).

My query to fellow bhpians is that -

1) If I convert my jio physical sim to esim and then put the international sim card, will this combination work? (given, of-course, I have international roaming available on both).
2) Will there be any issues in using apps like whatsapp, facetime etc. wherein the physical sim and esim being from 2 different countries may interfere with each other?
3) Should I let my jio sim remain as physical sim and ask for the international sim to be an esim - will this be better option?

I have never used my iphone in dual sim mode and am wary that if I make any sim esim - then it might be permanent on the iphone and cannot be removed.
Old 22nd December 2021, 06:47   #14319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
I have never used my iphone in dual sim mode and am wary that if I make any sim esim - then it might be permanent on the iphone and cannot be removed.
No, it isn't permanent. The eSIM would work just like a physical sim only. If you want to change operator in the future, you can simply remove and add the new one. My suggestion would be go for eSIM on Jio and a physical sim for your international one. That'd also give you an opportunity to swap your overseas sim for another operator if needed. Enjoy your stay abroad
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 06:53   #14320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
My suggestion would be go for eSIM on Jio and a physical sim for your international one. That'd also give you an opportunity to swap your overseas sim for another operator if needed.
Another question on this point. If I convert my AirTel number to eSIM, what will be the process if I change phone in future (I normally change phone every 12-18 months). Can the eSIM be transferred to the new phone while at overseas?
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:54   #14321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Another question on this point. If I convert my AirTel number to eSIM, what will be the process if I change phone in future (I normally change phone every 12-18 months). Can the eSIM be transferred to the new phone while at overseas?
The process is the same as ordering a new eSIM.

Reinitiate the process vis SMS, and they'll send you the activation QR Code to your registered email address, which you scan and register the eSIM on the new device.

There is an IVR validation call involved and codes are time-limited for security reasons, so please make the request only when you have some time to complete it in one go.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:59   #14322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Reinitiate the process vis SMS, and they'll send you the activation QR Code to your registered email address, which you scan and register the eSIM on the new device.

There is an IVR validation call involved and codes are time-limited for security reasons, so please make the request only when you have some time to complete it in one go.
Thank you. So that means it does work if I can receive SMS from overseas? I don't keep the Airtel number on roaming, but I do get SMSes now (say OTP verifications) while in Singapore
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:16   #14323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thank you. So that means it does work if I can receive SMS from overseas? I don't keep the Airtel number on roaming, but I do get SMSes now (say OTP verifications) while in Singapore
You'll need the ability to send SMS too, as the process is triggered by sending a service SMS to Airtel (SMS eSIM<>registered email id to 121).

Please confirm with Airtel that service numbers are reachable while abroad.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 23:12   #14324
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been using an iPhone XR for the last 2 yrs and 7 months, after the IOS15 update things went haywire with the phone! Apps started crashing, battery health came tumbling down to 79%.

More importantly I had a physical sim as well as the e-sim working perfectly fine before IOS15, after the update the phone just stopped recognising the physical sim in the slot!! Thought of it as a Vi sim issue, tried a Jio sim next, worked perfectly for 15 days and the phone again stopped recognising the physical sim. And in the meantime a new issue of automatically restarting every few hours was taking place.

Got so fed up that I decided to switch to Android, but being in the ecosystem just couldn’t convince myself so went ahead and bought the iPhone 13 128gb, hope it lasts long! Other than the camera quality and battery being much better than the XR, don’t see any other major difference.

Came across this video as well:
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:32   #14325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
My query to fellow bhpians is that -

1) If I convert my jio physical sim to esim and then put the international sim card, will this combination work? (given, of-course, I have international roaming available on both).
Yes it works just fine.

Quote:
2) Will there be any issues in using apps like whatsapp, facetime etc. wherein the physical sim and esim being from 2 different countries may interfere with each other?
It is just like any other dual sim. These apps will give a prompt and you just need to confirm which connections is to be used.

Quote:
3) Should I let my jio sim remain as physical sim and ask for the international sim to be an esim - will this be better option?
Is also a good idea coz you can have multiple sim profiles saved on the same phone, though only one sim profile can be used at a time. This way in case of a worst case scenario of phone conking off, you still have personal physical sim that can be swapped.

Quote:
It can be moved in certain networks (I have read), surprisingly I could revive it using an iTunes back up, when I did a clean instal of the iOS. This technically means I should be able to transfer it to a new device also, using a back up and iCloud credentials.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed