Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 17:53   #14641
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Bought an iphone 13 Pro Max recently. Fantastic piece of technology .

I am unable to figure out the dual sim(1 x E-sim + 1 x Physical SIM) part. Jio is running via e-sim, BSNL via physical sim. The SMS app however only shows Jio's messages and not BSNL's. How to get around this ?
The solution turned out to be a very simple one. Go into Settings --> Data --> Turn on this line. Thereafter, you get to pick which SIM to call or SMS from. Pretty neat.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 13:59   #14642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Any iphone SE (2016) users here?

I might finally upgrade my SE and am looking for feedback/curious to know from that specific group of SE users what they upgraded to and why.

Thanks in advance!
My mum used a 6S before getting the 12 mini back in 2020, she loves the fact that the mini’s have a larger display at 5.4” while being the same size physically as the SE which had a 4.7” screen.

Personally I find the mini lineup too small I’d suggest check out the 13 mini and regular 13/pro variants in store. The size difference isn’t massive and you get a 6.1” screen over the mini’s 5.4”.

If you must have the exact same form factor as the SE then only the mini is comparable. You’ll still get a much brighter, better OLED display and better battery life.

If you’re like me and want the best display/battery combination then get the 13 pro max. But before buying get a feel for all of them in store.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 22:47   #14643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Hi mobike008, how is the new update holding up?

I have the 12 Pro and I am holding back with regards to this update as the initial reviews weren’t very confidence inspiring. The battery health of my current phone is at 88% after 15 months of usage. Currently running on iOS 14.8.

Would you recommend going for this update? And is it really worth going in for, as there aren’t any significant changes in the iOS 15 compared to the 14.
Hi Buddy, the update is holding up pretty good. I am getting decent back-up since the battery has dropped to 99%.

I get now easily 24-hours to 28-hours to a single charge depending on how heavy or light I use the phone.

However, I noticed that after 100% battery to 99% battery drop, those crazy hours no longer happen. Like I used to even get 42-hours to a single charge.

Now it's maximum of 28-hours to a single charge. Not sure if there is any explanation to this phenomena.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:03   #14644
BHPian

This is my first time switching to Apple, I have been an Android user all my life. My last phone is Samsung S9+ which is still running but the battery backup was not that great ( maybe I needed a reason to buy iPhone). Purchased 13 pro-Max silver yesterday along with AirPods pro and watch (series 7). I am loving it so far, it's super smooth and the UI is quite simple.
Vyas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 21:32   #14645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
This is my first time switching to Apple, I have been an Android user all my life. My last phone is Samsung S9+ which is still running but the battery backup was not that great ( maybe I needed a reason to buy iPhone). Purchased 13 pro-Max silver yesterday along with AirPods pro and watch (series 7). I am loving it so far, it's super smooth and the UI is quite simple.
Congratulations and Welcome to the beautiful and silky smooth world of Apple.

Looks like you broke the bank to get the trio
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 00:16   #14646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Looks like you broke the bank to get the trio
True, I have been saving for this for a long time. I have come to Seattle to visit my family members and found out that products are cheaper in Portland(no sales tax), finally purchased them from there. Saved a considerable amount of money!
Vyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 01:35   #14647
BHPian

Quote:

I get now easily 24-hours to 28-hours to a single charge depending on how heavy or light I use the phone.

However, I noticed that after 100% battery to 99% battery drop, those crazy hours no longer happen. Like I used to even get 42-hours to a single charge.

Now it's maximum of 28-hours to a single charge. Not sure if there is any explanation to this phenomena.
13 pro max cells are rated at 4350 mah. 1% of that is 43.5 mah, that’s a few mins of screen on time at best. It’ll be nearly impossible to notice without running a drain test.

In my case, it’s still at 100% and I get around 8-9 hours of screen on time just like I did on day 1.

When you charge, make sure the room is chilled with the AC turned up all the way, makes a huge difference to charging and battery temps. Also when using the phone if you notice it getting hot, reduce brightness manually instead of waiting for it to do it by itself as by then it’s really burning and damaging your batteries.

(These are the only things I’ve done different with the 13, as my earlier 12 pro max had lost 4% by the time it hit its 6th month of use).
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:45   #14648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
13 pro max cells are rated at 4350 mah. 1% of that is 43.5 mah, that’s a few mins of screen on time at best. It’ll be nearly impossible to notice without running a drain test.

In my case, it’s still at 100% and I get around 8-9 hours of screen on time just like I did on day 1.
Well, at 99% battery capacity. I am getting around 10 hours of screen time and phone battery lasts for 24 hours.

I think that's a good thing.

With regards to charging, we are in spring and approaching summers so temperatures are still in 3C to 8C range and for these temperatures, we don't use our central heating system so the rooms are in general cooler.

The iPhone Thread-img_9676.png
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 22:05   #14649
Distinguished - BHPian

Four and half years of using the iPhone SE (2017), the battery health is now down to 83%. The phone has been good otherwise for my usage - I dont do not much of browsing. SM posts are now talking of the 15, but I just hope Apple continues either the SE or the 12 mini. I dont see any other compact phone around. Though the one drawback I see about the iPhone is lack of connectivity with Androids (example - via BT).
Old 21st April 2022, 22:19   #14650
BHPian

Quote:
Well, at 99% battery capacity. I am getting around 10 hours of screen time and phone battery lasts for 24 hours.

I think that's a good thing.

With regards to charging, we are in spring and approaching summers so temperatures are still in 3C to 8C range and for these temperatures, we don't use our central heating system so the rooms are in general cooler.

Attachment 2299214
The reason I get 8.5-9 hours tops of screen time is mainly due to 100% brightness use with 4G sometimes and heavy camera use + gaming. This is the first phone that lasts almost the entire day with heavy use without needing to be plugged in.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 07:56   #14651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, I have been saving for this for a long time. I have come to Seattle to visit my family members and found out that products are cheaper in Portland(no sales tax), finally purchased them from there. Saved a considerable amount of money!
Oh nice! I am such a lazy guy. I live in Seattle and If I drive 120 miles south and I can find myself the nearest Costco in Oregon where sales tax is ZERO.

We pay ridiculous amount of sales tax (10.5%) on everything we buy here in Washington. I should haul my back-side and drive down south and save myself some moolah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
The reason I get 8.5-9 hours tops of screen time is mainly due to 100% brightness use with 4G sometimes and heavy camera use + gaming. This is the first phone that lasts almost the entire day with heavy use without needing to be plugged in.
100% brightness? Woah!

I never cross 50% as I find that itself glaring and hurting to eyes.

Well, I never do gaming on phone (I use the iPad Pro for that as it's much more awesome on bigger screen).
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:08   #14652
BHPian

Quote:

We pay ridiculous amount of sales tax (10.5%) on everything we buy here in Washington. I should haul my back-side and drive down south and save myself some moolah.
Well, I wanted to travel and visit new places, It made sense to me.

And, should I update the software every time an update is available, or shall I wait for a few weeks or watch reviews before I update?
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:19   #14653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And, should I update the software every time an update is available, or shall I wait for a few weeks or watch reviews before I update?
Apple releases updates for a reason, I personally just go ahead and update it and never faced any issues in the last nearly a decade of being in ecosystem.

Reading reviews and updating is for someone who have just too much time on hand. 😊
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 16:00   #14654
BHPian

Quote:
Reading reviews and updating is for someone who have just too much time on hand. 😊
+1

Quote:
You should enable these 2 toggles and forget it unless you would like to be a beta tester for iOS, there is no point fretting over updates.

The iPhone Thread-download-5.jpeg
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 08:31   #14655
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't Apple invent a wireless MagSafe charger with a lightening port? That way a customer can have a charger plug for Rs. 1.9K, a charging wire for Rs 2.7K and finally a charging block for X amount. Apart from buying the phone that is.

Now we have to buy a charger plug for Rs. 1.9K and a charging block for Rs. 5K. When you keep exchanging the wire and the block, I'm sure the wires will get damaged. Apple wires are known to fail very easily.

All the genius at Genius bar, not so smart after all?

Most Viewed