Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 14:52   #1441
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh I just read it somewhere. I don't have an iPhone.

But I'll bet you guys are going crazy with joy now that you can copy and paste. lol
Old 20th March 2009, 15:00   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

But I'll bet you guys are going crazy with joy now that you can copy and paste. lol
We still can copy and paste, thanks to Clippy from Cydia. But, Apple's implementation would make most of these apps redundant.

Yes, I am waiting for 3.0, and hoping that someone can crack it.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:05   #1443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yup! silly us! Though i personally didnt miss much without cut paste, its like tooth pick after good thandoor dinner.

Am more exited about teethering, notes/gmail cal/yahoo cal sync, landscape key board & last but not the least business cards.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:23   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Lol! But, there are some other very good features that are going to be introduced (my favorite being "push" feature).

Also, seems the iPod touch has a bluetooth chip on it. Hmm, let's see if we can get an iBluetooth for the touch too.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:41   #1445
Senior - BHPian

AT&T will be selling the iphone without contract. But the phones will still be locked.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:52   #1446
BHPian

Srishiva,

Yeah..but they are gonna cost $599 and $699. Pretty much the same price as in India.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:22   #1447
capri_cap

Source- engadget

Guys check what 3.0 real life experience is all about.

While most people would probably agree that 3.0 doesn't represent a revolutionary upgrade for iPhone users, it's still large (and interesting) enough to warrant tons of questions, which we've been collecting to answer in a FAQ about the beta. Feel free to submit some more below! Just remember that just about anything can change between now and the final launch of 3.0 -- it is a beta, after all.

So, how do I get this thing?
Well, unfortunately you need to be part of the developer program (which costs $99).

Whatevs, I just got it off of BitTorrent!
Okay, but it may not work. Your iPhone's unique ID must be authorized for the 3.0 upgrade, and Apple checks that. So until someone cracks the 3.0 beta firmware image, you have to be a registered developer, or know somebody who can hook you up, pretty much.

How did installation go? From Miqal
Running it on a non-jailbroken device, it went smoothly. Took about as much time as your traditional restore. Just be warned: from what I've been hearing, once you go to 3.0, you can't go back to 2.0. (Apple must have changed some of the baseband firmware or something, no real surprise.) Update: been hearing it IS possible to go back to 2.0 from 3.0, but be warned, it could require some baseband hacking and god knows what else, so it'd be wise to prepare for the worst.

How's performance been? I heard it's really sluggish.
Actually, it's been pretty good for me so far! Spotlight is actually faster than I expected and the rest of the common interactions feels the same as 2.2. I'm going to continue to keep an eye out for issues, but so far things have been humming along nicely. [Interestingly, Nilay, Ross, and Chris have all reported occasional slowness, proof that Ryan's zen-like patience is a virtue. -Ed.]

Do all of your apps sync? Do they work okay? From Kwarren and davidiom
So far, yes, I haven't seen anything really go missing. 3.0 isn't a fundamental architectural change, so I don't think most apps need to be re-worked to function. Granted, there have been a few apps which have definitely given me some trouble when running in 3.0 (like the Peanut Butter Jelly Time! app -- don't you judge me), but so far I've run into very few problems and apps have been working mostly without much issue. As always, with something like this your mileage may vary.

Is it stable enough for real use?

So far, yes -- if you're an Engadget reader, you're probably an early adopter-type who's willing to deal with a little pain. So far 3.0 has been pretty good, I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of it (unless they had some crucial apps that weren't yet working in 3.0, or needed it to be unlocked or jailbroken).

Does Spotlight let search the apps on the phone?
Yep. If you've got pages and pages of apps, it'll make finding them much easier. It also keeps your last search and its results open, if you want to refer back to it.

Does the iPod app do anything significantly different?
Yes! For audiobooks and podcasts there's a playback speed option now (1/2, 1, and 2x), a 30 second replay (á la TiVo), and some mail function which isn't yet implemented. There's also variable-rate scrubbing for that content -- you drag your finger down away from the play head to make the scrubbing more precise. Oh, and they finally fixed that annoying bug where some chaptered podcasts are downloaded over the air as video.

Does copy/paste extend to the URL bar in Safari? From jomolungma
Yes! Copy and paste has been working in a lot more places than I might have expected, even (especially in 3rd party apps).

Does Safari's new login auto-fill sync back to OS X's Keychain? From compboss17
So far it doesn't look like Keychain flows in either direction. That may or may not change in the future, but for now it's best not to expect that.

Are file upload fields enabled in Safari? From Tom W
Nope, looks like they're still disabled.

Did Apple add more search engines to pick from in the Safari preferences? From 54M
Nope, still just Google and Yahoo.

Does 3.0 allow you to record video?
Apple announced over 1,000 new APIs in iPhone OS 3.0, but video wasn't mentioned. Video recording isn't present in the default app set as of right now, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out. We'll have to wait for a thorough audit of all the new changes to know for sure, though, whether video will be possible. I will say this, though: if Apple had enabled video recording support, I'm pretty sure they would have taken a moment to mention that yesterday.

Does iPhone 3.0 syncing work for Entourage / Outlook / Exchange Notes? From Tom L
Haven't tested exchange notes sync, but so far I can confirm that OS X notes are properly syncing to your desktop. So your iPhone's notes are now readable on your Mac via Mail (and vice versa).

Can you send contact cards any other way than MMS? From adamreeve
Yes! Now contact cards have a little button that says "Share contact," which lets you send it via email or MMS.

Can you send receive contacts/files over Bluetooth from another handset, like an S60 phone? From mobiledivide
Contact cards, images, etc., are passed via MMS and email. It's feasible that you could do a P2P Bluetooth transfer to another iPhone, but someone would have to write an app to do that -- I expect that'll be one of the first apps devs get out there because it's a pretty obvious thing to do. It's just not built in.

Speaking of MMS, is MMS working?
It looks like it's working in 3.0, but it doesn't appear to be enabled on AT&T's side yet. Bottom line though: I wasn't able to send or receive MMS (but it didn't appear to be a bug or anything weird like that).

So you can edit notes in Mail on your Mac and they'll sync to your iPhone? From Macgirl
Yes!

Is there a unified inbox? You know, some place where all my many mobile inboxes can funnel into on spot?
Oh man, I wish. But no, sorry, that's not on the features list this time around.

Can you rotate the calendar app to view week-by-week? From jasonact
No, that'd be nice, but there's no horizontal/landscale or week view mode in the calendar app (yet).

Does 3.0 support SMS and notes in landscape mode? From akaboxer
Yes, it does.

Is there syncing for iCal to-dos? From e3na
Not that I've seen -- there's no native to-do app or repository on any version of the iPhone, so I think this is another detail they've skipped over (again).

Is there any sort of notificaiton system other than the badged icons? From Jeff M
I haven't been able to test the notification system yet because I don't have any apps that support it (remember, this was JUST officially put out there). Apple does offer multiple methods of notification though: audio notification (which developers can customize the sound alert of), popover notification messages (which already drive people nuts, think: SMS), and the badged icons we've seen.

Does 3.0 support the in-line volume control the newer Apple headphones? From anthonyfriday
It doesn't enable in-line volume control on the iPhone 3G, unfortunately. (Play/pause, etc. still work). The iPod touch 2nd-gen should still have that function, though.

Will the $10 iPod touch 3.0 upgrade include the Bluetooth support? From Chris S
Yes, Apple mentioned that yesterday. Now that iPhone OS supports stereo Bluetooth (A2DP), Apple is going to unlock that feature on the second-gen iPod touch. (The Bluetooth chip isn't in the first-gen iPod touch, however.)

iPhone 3.0 is going to support A2DP, will it support AVRCP as well? From David R
So far it doesn't look like AVRCP (the Bluetooth profile for controlling playback, volume, etc. from your stereo Bluetooth headset) is functional. This is a pretty obvious thing to add, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it in -- eventually.

Can you finally disable repeated alerts?
To explain, this refers to what happens when you get, say, an SMS in 2.x. Basically your iPhone keeps beeping until you acknowledge its existence. It's horrifically annoying. And yes, dear lord, yes, you can disable that in 3.0!

Does hitting the home button from the dashboard return you to the first home screen, or Spotlight now? From Adam S
Say you're on your third page of apps: hit home once, it takes you to page 1 (as before). Hit it again a moment later, it brings up Spotlight. (You can always swipe right to get there from page 1, as well.)

What else have you seen that's worth a peek?
Well, 3.0 is sprinkled with nice UI and usability improvements throughout (like the new send meter in the messages app), but one thing I'm really stoked about is the ability to open links in new Safari tabs. I'd been hoping they'd do this: hold down a link, and you're given a prompt asking if you'd like to open the link here, in a new tab, or copy it. So nice.

Engadget editor-at-large
[COLOR=#0000ff]Ryan Block[/COLOR] can be found crashing his beta iPhone, and readying his new site, [COLOR=#0000ff]gdgt[/COLOR], for launch this summer.

Old 20th March 2009, 19:32   #1448
capri_cap

Source Engadget

Iphone os 3.0 v/s other OS
Source: Mobile OS shootout: iPhone OS 3.0 enters the fray

Quote:
As soon as Apple rolled out its preview of iPhone OS 3.0, the comparisons to existing (and forthcoming) mobile OSs started flying. While the major update isn't exactly a done deal, it's pretty far along, and we've been able to glean quite a bit from our time with the developer beta we've been checking out. iPhone OS, Android, webOS, Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, S60; if you're in the market for a new smartphone, your choices have been getting exponentially more complicated lately, and 3.0 won't make the selection any easier. Luckily for you, Engadget is here to make sense of a frightening and uncertain landscape. Read on for an in-depth look at the similarities -- and differences -- between modern mobile operating systems.
-----------------------------
Wrap up

Ultimately, there are loyalties and preferences that no chart can help you navigate. We won't go as far as saying it's a matter of choice -- we believe that the newer, younger operating systems offer far more than the aging ones can at this point (unless you absolutely need something like BES). In particular, the improvements Apple's made in its forthcoming update speak to many of the issues we've had since the platform's launch in 2007, patching a slew of flaws in its mobile OS, and making the advantages of something like Android or webOS (what we know of it) a little less obvious. That said, you won't find the open source freedom of the former, and there are a handful of innovations in the latter (yet to be roadtested, but extremely promising nonetheless). One thing is sure regardless of what side you throw your lot in with: the hype Apple created with its devices has spurred a space race in smartphones, and the end user is reaping the benefits.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th March 2009 at 23:37. Reason: Readability replaced with a snap shot.

Old 23rd March 2009, 03:47   #1449
Senior - BHPian

guys, unlocked iphone purchased in sweden will work in india on an indian sim right?
Hopefully I have a 8gb iphone coming my way
cheers
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:17   #1450
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
guys, unlocked iphone purchased in sweden will work in india on an indian sim right?
Hopefully I have a 8gb iphone coming my way
cheers

Yes, it would work in India as well as anywhere else in the world on any networks's simcard.

Old 25th March 2009, 22:55   #1451
BHPian

my 2G jailbreaked 2.2.1 firmware phone is hanging a lot. Now at this time it stuck at contact stuff, I can switch to different options of contact, call etc, but home button is not taking me to home. Any idea.

Last time I have to redo all stuff because it was not unlocking the phone itself. Just hung once u slide that unlock stuff.

Please help
Old 25th March 2009, 23:20   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
Source- engadget

Guys check what 3.0 real life experience is all about.
I'm totally amused at how things we've taken for granted for all these years are being talked about as great new discoveries!!!

Its like going to Yemen and saying 'oh wow - you can actually make coffee in a coffee pot in this wonderful country! This place rocks!'. All because you always had a coffee pot but could never make coffee in it - you had to go to the iTunes Store and buy a percolator for $20 to do that, or rely on the illegal chaiwalla to make coffee with your pot!

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th March 2009 at 23:25.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:40   #1453
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
my 2G jailbreaked 2.2.1 firmware phone is hanging a lot. Now at this time it stuck at contact stuff, I can switch to different options of contact, call etc, but home button is not taking me to home. Any idea.

Last time I have to redo all stuff because it was not unlocking the phone itself. Just hung once u slide that unlock stuff.

Please help

Things to check, have you done a recent software installation which could be causing this. If yes, then remove that software rightaway.

Try reset settings also.

If still no resolve, then erase data and restore, and if still does not work, then you would have to restore the phone completely.

Have been through this, and these things have worked for me.

Old 26th March 2009, 13:46   #1454
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm totally amused at how things we've taken for granted for all these years are being talked about as great new discoveries!!!

Its like going to Yemen and saying 'oh wow - you can actually make coffee in a coffee pot in this wonderful country! This place rocks!'. All because you always had a coffee pot but could never make coffee in it - you had to go to the iTunes Store and buy a percolator for $20 to do that, or rely on the illegal chaiwalla to make coffee with your pot!

Agree with you.
however you also need to take notice of the fact that Iphone and its OS have created a revolution.

Its an interface par excelence. No other phone or OS can match.

All others just aspire to be there, but none of them really can.

See the amount of touchscreen phones that have hit the market from other manufacturers after the lauch of iphone.

All of them had to eat dirt.

Yes iphone has its limitations, but still the user interface experience it offers is Uber cool, and way beyond anyone could have imagined before iphone had come.

Which other phone or OS, keeps giving you so many updates time and again.

Its like getting to upgrade the engine of your car, everytime technology can permit.

nokia, motorola and others I feel technologically dwarfed in front of the iphone.

I might sound like an iphone loyalist, but trust me I have my share of criticism for it, but it still rules.

Last edited by capri_cap : 26th March 2009 at 13:51. Reason: mis spells

Old 26th March 2009, 17:21   #1455
BANNED

Dwarfed? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
nokia, motorola and others I feel technologically dwarfed in front of the iphone.
In touch interface alone. Ain't it?

In everything else, rest has a big upper hand technologically over the iPhone.

Most Viewed