Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 12:01   #2416
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally bought the Mapmyindia iPhone App.
Not bad. Signal catches fast. However, not as intuitive as one would expect from an iPhone app. Takes a while to get used to. They could have exploited the touch functionality to the max, but they didn't.

Only issue is that the iPhone gets hot after 30 min of usage.
Old 16th October 2010, 13:08   #2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Can you see the original profile in config utility, if so use the utility tool to delete the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Sachin,

Did you have unlockit installed on 3.1.x and then did you upgrade to 4.x.x.? If so, then you will have to reinstall the 4.x.x. and then DO NOT restore from backup but restore as a new phone. Ideal method is to delete unlockit from 3.1.3, back up and then upgrade.
Tejas, I upgraded to OS4 and than did the jailbreak and APN setting through unlockit. As per my information unlockit is not installed on the phone. Now when i connect to itunes it ask me to upgrade to 4.1. If I upgrade to 4.1 to do a complete reset, i will loose my jailbreak and jailbreak is still not available for 4.1
Old 16th October 2010, 13:16   #2418

Quote:
Finally bought the Mapmyindia iPhone App.
Not bad. Signal catches fast. However, not as intuitive as one would expect from an iPhone app. Takes a while to get used to. They could have exploited the touch functionality to the max, but they didn't.

Only issue is that the iPhone gets hot after 30 min of usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin26 View Post
No I am not seeing any profile in Config utility
Is the application available through itunes stores or have your brought it seprately. What is the cost of the application?
Old 16th October 2010, 13:17   #2419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tejas, I upgraded to OS4 and than did the jailbreak and APN setting through unlockit. As per my information unlockit is not installed on the phone. Now when i connect to itunes it ask me to upgrade to 4.1. If I upgrade to 4.1 to do a complete reset, i will loose my jailbreak and jailbreak is still not available for 4.1
That's ok. What i'm asking is that did you have unlockit on 3.x.x? And after the upgrade, did you restore the iphone from your previous back up?
Old 16th October 2010, 16:49   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Tanwar,MMI application is better,as it doesnot need any data connection.it communicates directly with the Satellite,and you can use the maps without SIM too.Also,you get Voice navigation bundled along.
thanks for this, will check it out, hope it is not a paid version.
Old 16th October 2010, 23:15   #2421

Quote:
That's ok. What i'm asking is that did you have unlockit on 3.x.x? And after the upgrade, did you restore the iphone from your previous back up?
No Tejas I did the upgrade first to OS 4 and than install unlockit. Haven't restore to any previous backup
Old 17th October 2010, 16:07   #2422
BHPian

Hi guys. Had been to Singapore a few days ago and purchased an iPhone 4; unlocked version. I need some help here.
1. The guy suggested me not to upgrade the software through iTunes. What are my other options?
2.How do I cut my existing Sim into a micro sim? (Any suggestions for DIY / anyplace in Bangalore?)
3. I have a 2 yr old iPhone 3g which is sim-locked to Vodafone. I need the same sim for this new phone. Can I just remove the sim from that and start using (after conversion to microsim) on iPhone4 OR do I need to get the iphone3g sim-unlocked first?
Please suggest me guys
Old 17th October 2010, 18:06   #2423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Hi guys. Had been to Singapore a few days ago and purchased an iPhone 4; unlocked version. I need some help here.
1. The guy suggested me not to upgrade the software through iTunes. What are my other options?
2.How do I cut my existing Sim into a micro sim? (Any suggestions for DIY / anyplace in Bangalore?)
3. I have a 2 yr old iPhone 3g which is sim-locked to Vodafone. I need the same sim for this new phone. Can I just remove the sim from that and start using (after conversion to microsim) on iPhone4 OR do I need to get the iphone3g sim-unlocked first?
Please suggest me guys

The iPhone MUST be activated by connecting to itunes. It will check with the Apple servers and unlock your phone. If you have an unlocked phone there's no harm in upgrading the s/w to the latest version.

There's enough info on the net on how to convert your regular SIM to micro SIM. There are also sim cutters that do the job for you. Google around.

No, you don't need to get your 3G unlocked.
Old 18th October 2010, 00:01   #2424
Team-BHP Support

I checked using Vodafone sim, it doesnt show the APN settings. So apple is smart enough to update the settings through iTunes if its approved providers and only for non approved providers it gives the APN setting, in an official unlock phone.

Now the problem, friends phone brought from USA was locked in 4.0.2. Followed this to unlock it. Worked fine and i used unlockit.nz for setting APN for Airtel.

Today he came and he is using Vodafone, and all the known tricks to set new APN has failed :( Cant see Profile under the General settings.

So whats the way out?
Old 18th October 2010, 13:17   #2425

Quote:
I checked using Vodafone sim, it doesnt show the APN settings. So apple is smart enough to update the settings through iTunes if its approved providers and only for non approved providers it gives the APN setting, in an official unlock phone.

Now the problem, friends phone brought from USA was locked in 4.0.2. Followed this to unlock it. Worked fine and i used unlockit.nz for setting APN for Airtel.

Today he came and he is using Vodafone, and all the known tricks to set new APN has failed :( Cant see Profile under the General settings.

So whats the way out?
No we are on the same boat. This is the same roadblock I am facing. Not able to edit the APN setting once done through unlockit.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:39   #2426
BHPian

@jaggu

this is what i used to set up Vodafone on my iphone 4

go to help.benm.at via safari
navigate to Tethering >>create your own (generator)>> Put name = www and user name as blank and click on done .

restart the phone.The new profile should be visible under Settings >>general >>Profile .

After doing this ,mobile services should be working fine.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:44   #2427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No Tejas I did the upgrade first to OS 4 and than install unlockit. Haven't restore to any previous backup
If you are on a factory unlocked iphone, then just re-restore and set up iphone as a new phone. Then use unlockit.

Or else if you have jailbroken it, download APN changer from Cydia.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:17   #2428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
@jaggu

this is what i used to set up Vodafone on my iphone 4

go to help.benm.at via safari
navigate to Tethering >>create your own (generator)>> Put name = www and user name as blank and click on done .

restart the phone.The new profile should be visible under Settings >>general >>Profile .

After doing this ,mobile services should be working fine.
Super thanks, have asked him to try it out.

Quote:
If you are on a factory unlocked iphone, then just re-restore and set up iphone as a new phone. Then use unlockit.

Or else if you have jailbroken it, download APN changer from Cydia.
We tried this but some error was coming.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:35   #2429

This novice needs some help from iphone experts. How easy or difficult it is going to be to use an MTNL, Delhi 3G connection on iphone 3gs or 4 brought from USA? Of the two variants which one is better?
Thanks.

Last edited by spkumar : 18th October 2010 at 15:38.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:36   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We tried this but some error was coming.
If you are good at Terminal, try this. It'll be a permanent solution.

Quote:
To edit your APN Settings on FW3.0 and avoid data costs you’ll have to…

1. Access your Phone via FTP/SSH

2. Open up the directory /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/

3. Open you Providers SIM-Card, in my case "TMobile_Germany.bundle"

4. Open the carrier.plist in your favorite editor - it should look something like this:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
<true/>
<key>BookmarkURLs</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>BookmarkName</key>
<string>T-Mobile web'n'walk</string>
<key>BookmarkURL</key>
<string>http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone-favoriten</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>CarrierName</key>
<string>T-Mobile</string>
<key>IntlDataRoamingSwitch</key>
<true/>

5. Add the bold text entry in the example code to your .plist:

Code:

<key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
<true/>

6. Save and upload your carrier.plist to your iPhone
. It should be instantly accessible (if not simply reboot).

7. Now everything is showing up in settings-->general-->networks: Cellular Data Network
Source: APN editing after redsn0w - Hackint0sh

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 18th October 2010 at 15:43. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks