Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 20:36   #2536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin26 View Post
Thanks Anmol and Jaggu. Will try the nodal office route. Seems like first I need to update my phone to 4.1 to loose the jailbreak and unoffical unlock and than approach Airtel pretending that I was using the phone on there network and now they should provide me the official unlock
Do you still have a valid Airtel connection? I think if you have it you dont need any restoration and all since they are not going to check your device.
Old 15th November 2010, 22:20   #2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do you still have a valid Airtel connection? I think if you have it you dont need any restoration and all since they are not going to check your device.
Yes I do have a Airtel prepaid number but I primarly use the Vodafone number for which I have unofficially unlocked the phone. How do my phone will get unlocked if I don't take it to them or by just connecting to itunes it will get done? As you have told that your phone got unlocked automatically and you came to know as you have put another sim and it was working as your phone was officially locked to Airtel till that point of time. How will I come to know that now it is unlocked since mine is already jailbroken and I can use any service provider.
Old 16th November 2010, 01:10   #2538
BHPian

Guys any help regarding my iphone will be truly appreciated.

Regards
Old 16th November 2010, 13:31   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten View Post
Guys any help regarding my iphone will be truly appreciated.

Regards
I am assuming that your phone is currently working with your Airtel Sim and it is not jailbroken. Just insert a Vodaphone Sim, if locked to airtel it will refuse to work.

Also note that most 3GS bought from Hongkong were officially unlocked. I.e. they will work with any network w/o any jailbreak. Your phone might be one of those...
Old 16th November 2010, 19:44   #2540
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks Though this may have been answered somewhere, i tried to search and did read up a few posts,however tough to get this( hope someone can answer or direct me) I have a 3GS 32GB I-phone. Got it as a gift, but its locked. I was told by a local shop that it costs 400 to unlock. Can someone tell me if that is the price and if there are any places in bangalore where i can get it unlocked?( found this out in NOIDA, wanted info in bangalore) Thanks in advance
Old 16th November 2010, 21:35   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Hi Folks Though this may have been answered somewhere, i tried to search and did read up a few posts,however tough to get this( hope someone can answer or direct me) I have a 3GS 32GB I-phone. Got it as a gift, but its locked. I was told by a local shop that it costs 400 to unlock. Can someone tell me if that is the price and if there are any places in bangalore where i can get it unlocked?( found this out in NOIDA, wanted info in bangalore) Thanks in advance
I heard it was to the likes of 2K INR. and 20$ in US. Please be safe and sure before you tweak your gift. If you have the right version you can break it using the jialbreak site.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:30   #2542
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I heard it was to the likes of 2K INR. and 20$ in US. Please be safe and sure before you tweak your gift. If you have the right version you can break it using the jialbreak site.
Thanks, though have heard of it, but can you give me more info on the jail break site?
Old 17th November 2010, 11:14   #2543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

It depends what firmware you have. Please check in Settings -> General -> About. If you have firmware 4.0 or less, your iPhone can be unlocked. If it is 4.1 or higher, you will have to wait for unlock to be released.

Warning: There are a few sites out there claiming to have an unlock for 4.1 but it is simply not true. The "jailbreak" for 4.1 is there, but the "unlock" is not. The hackers will wait for Apple to release firmware 4.2 to be out before releasing the unlock for 4.1, so that Apple doesn't "fix" it along with firmware 4.2.

If you have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, no need to pay anyone. You can unlock it yourself in a few simple steps which will take around an hour to unlock. I unlocked my own iPhone 3G which was running 3.1.2.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:48   #2544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a 3GS 32GB I-phone. Got it as a gift, but its locked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Hi,

It depends what firmware you have. Please check in Settings -> General -> About.
Upto 4.0.1 can be unlocked. If you have a PC and internet connection follow the instruction from iClarified - Unlock Wizard for iPhone Follow the steps and enjoy the apple experience.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:26   #2545
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
iPhone last time I checked, is not being sold w/o contract, be it 3GS or the reception horror iPhone 4. You want me to check again let me know.

Dude thats almost double the price and still the price since its inception in India. It is a straight forward rip off. iPhone 3GS became 399$ w/o contract when iPhone 4 was lauched here. Now it is avaliable w/ contract for 99$ and iPhone 4 for 199 $ (16Gig) and 299 for (32Gig) w/ contract and contract cancellation charges are 375 $ with monthy decrease of 10$. Means if you cancel a contract after 2 months of purchase then the cancellation charge will be 355$.
The "reception horror" iPhone 4 has sold 15 million pieces since it was launched. Quite simply the most successful electronic device ever. They must be doing something right. You still have queues in most countries to buy it. The few I have seen with friends have no reception issues.

299 + 375 + tax (approx 8% in most US states) adds up to $725 which is about Rs 33,000. It is not too expensive if you factor in duties etc. Also remember that this is a locked phones. Factory unlocked phones ie from the UK, HK or Europe are not that cheap. All put together, the phone is not too expensive in India. After all, that piece of junk called a ?N27 used to sell at Rs 40K on launch. And we know how that turned out!

ppr
Old 17th November 2010, 15:47   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iPhone last time I checked, is not being sold w/o contract, be it 3GS or the reception horror iPhone 4. You want me to check again let me know.

Dude thats almost double the price and still the price since its inception in India. It is a straight forward rip off. iPhone 3GS became 399$ w/o contract when iPhone 4 was lauched here. Now it is avaliable w/ contract for 99$ and iPhone 4 for 199 $ (16Gig) and 299 for (32Gig) w/ contract and contract cancellation charges are 375 $ with monthy decrease of 10$. Means if you cancel a contract after 2 months of purchase then the cancellation charge will be 355$.
Iphones ARE sold without contracts. Available in apple stores.

Even if one does a contract cancellation, its expensive. you have not considered activation fee($20) and data plan fee ($15/$25), both these can be waived easily in India. A big issue to get it done in USA. In East, there are stores who help get data plan waived, they charge anywhere from $100-$150 to get it done. And still i have friends who suddenly got charged for data plan even after doing this for which they had to keep their phone off and do some misc stuff.

So all in all, one would spend almost similar to what one gets in India give or take a few monies.

I would rather pick up a new unlocked iphone 4 for $500-$600 from ebay/craigslist with warranty transfer.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th November 2010 at 15:49.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:02   #2547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The "reception horror" iPhone 4 has sold 15 million pieces since it was launched. Quite simply the most successful electronic device ever. They must be doing something right. You still have queues in most countries to buy it. The few I have seen with friends have no reception issues.

After all, that piece of junk called a ?N27 used to sell at Rs 40K on launch. And we know how that turned out!
I was an early adopter of the IP4 and got my factory unlocked UK handset on 2nd Sept. It replaced my 32GB 3GS.

For anyone who cares to read - let me say one thing. The IP4 is by far the BEST mobile phone I have ever used. Period.

My IP4 is rock stable especially when compared to Nokia's Symbian based offerings; the N97 and E71 I used from 2007 thru 2008 were bad...and my wife's current E72 was a horror till the new firmware came out!). The IP4 has been just as good if not better in reception and call quality when compared to the 3GS, Blackberry 9700, various Nokia E and N series that I owned in the past

No inexplicable call drops whatsoever even in weak reception areas such as office buildings.

For all the brouhaha about a new design of the IP4 after the 30th Sept free case offer was withdrawn, there's been no sign of an 'improved' model. Some sites have suggested Apple insulated the antenna internally on late model Ip4s.

I understand some people may have had problems - but 3-4 months down the line I am now begining to think those handsets may have been the exception rather than the rule

Rgds,
Old 17th November 2010, 17:39   #2548
BHPian

Do anyone of you use iphone Apps => GreaseMunky or VehiCal to track the expenses incurred for your vehicle?
Old 17th November 2010, 17:44   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Maybe. Out of the 15 mil I am pretty sure 14 mil wouldn't even have known what they are getting, good or bad, while following a trend. I don't care how successful it is or not, I was saying something that Steve Jobs admitted. After that guy admits, renders and apology, and sells phone covers for free, and if anyone cares, I don't see why I should trust someone who says I have no reception issues. Well good for them. I'll trust when I have no reception problems. Oh yeah, period!
Old 17th November 2010, 19:27   #2550
Team-BHP Support

I have an iPhone 4 bought in Oct from Dubai, and am using it on Airtel EDGE connection here in BLR. The bar calibration, reception and call strength is 100% same as my old 3G which was running on 4.1 OS. I have used it with and without case and i didnt find any difference, maybe its the way in which i hold the phone, maybe issue is when one is on 3G and at a weak signal area.

Maybe this happens during 3G to EDGE switching at a weak signal spot. Whatever it is, i dont have an issue till now.

On the other hand, its super fast and stable and am once again in love.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks