Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 19:40   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Thanks, though have heard of it, but can you give me more info on the jail break site?
No. I did not try it myself becasue I am using a 3GS w/o contract and will be breaking it from someone when I leave for India or when in India.
My colleague who left sometime back from here tried the Jailbreak site twice and once it worked for his phone and the other time when he got another iPhone to take home it did not work even when the versions were correct. So I cannot definitely say it works everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Iphones ARE sold without contracts. Available in apple stores.
I go to know that last night when I strolled into the AT&T lobby to get a connection for my colleague who arrived here last week. I reminded him (Brian) the you said sometime back that iPhones were not being sold w/o contract and his memory failed him. That was a wrong piece of information I got earlier from him, to the effect that I passed it on to guys at offshore. I apologise for that. But I distinctly remeber him saying that no contract = no iphones. Also I remember 3GS being retailed for $399 couple of months back as against this I saw last night.

I guess prices get updated every now and then.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-perveez-iphone-958.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 19:51   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know how to unlock an iphone 3g with BB 5.09 / Firmware 5.14.02 running iOS 4.1? I've searched every forum available on the net and no luck
Old 17th November 2010, 20:20   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I go to know that last night when I strolled into the AT&T lobby to get a connection for my colleague who arrived here last week. I reminded him (Brian) the you said sometime back that iPhones were not being sold w/o contract and his memory failed him. That was a wrong piece of information I got earlier from him, to the effect that I passed it on to guys at offshore. I apologise for that. But I distinctly remeber him saying that no contract = no iphones. Also I remember 3GS being retailed for $399 couple of months back as against this I saw last night.

I guess prices get updated every now and then.
Whoa!!! 3GS-8GB for $499 plus tax? $100 more gives iphone 4 16gb and $200 more gives a 32GB. I doubt if anybody would be buying 3gs 8/16gb.

Also ATT online store had iphone 3gs (refurb) for $17 and a new one for $79. Both with contract. Absurdly low price. Good for us as it reflects in craigslist price as it has gone down too.

And since 3G days, apple store has been selling no commitment phones and ATT to have been selling no-contract phones since 3GS days. You must have got wrong info.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th November 2010 at 20:21.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:59   #2554
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys, got a factory unlocked Iphone 4 from HK. Now will one of the normal iPhone plans from Vodafone work on it? Or will some extra settings be required.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:32   #2555
BHPian

Akshay, I have been using the normal data plan which I had been earlier using on my Nokia E71 comfortably for more than a week now. Don't go for the iphone data plan as you will needlessly be paying a premium for the same. You just need to change the sim to micro sim and carry on as before.
Old 18th November 2010, 15:50   #2556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Akshay, I have been using the normal data plan which I had been earlier using on my Nokia E71 comfortably for more than a week now. Don't go for the iphone data plan as you will needlessly be paying a premium for the same. You just need to change the sim to micro sim and carry on as before.
Sorry for the noob questions. But will all the applications and everything work on that plan? Which plan is it btw?
Old 18th November 2010, 16:26   #2557
BHPian

No problem any question is fine. The plan I'm using since past 3 years is GPRS@499 which gives me 500 MB free per month. However one can also go for VF mobile connect 250 which would give 100 MB free per month .
For applications you will need to create an itunes account. Even for free applications that I needed to download from itunes I had to enter my credit card details for the first time.
Old 18th November 2010, 16:39   #2558
BANNED

I am a new Airtel user, previosuly with Vodafone. I was using Vodafone live to access internet on my iPhone 3GS. Apart from apps, all the other website opened in Safari web browser. I have now activated Airtel Live on my phone, my question is whether it will work the same as Vodafone live ie access sites using Safari. I wouldnt mind if the apps on my phone are not able to access internet.
Old 18th November 2010, 16:42   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey guys, got a factory unlocked Iphone 4 from HK. Now will one of the normal iPhone plans from Vodafone work on it? Or will some extra settings be required.
I could not get the Vodafone Mobile Connect to work with the Iphone..

Had to opt for the iphone specific plan..

If there are special setting to make the VMC work for iphone, would love to know..
Old 19th November 2010, 02:58   #2560
Senior - BHPian

I got Vodafone Mobile Connect to work after changing the APN to "www" (not "portalnmms").

To change APN, go to Settings -> General -> Network. If the option to change APN is not there, use Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone

Note: In iPhone firmware 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, we used to ssh into the iPhone (using OpenSSH installed thru Cydia), edit an XML file which has configurations, and add an entry something like "Allow EDGE settings" or something like that. *DO NOT* do this on firmware 4.0 or above, because Apple reads the file's signatures in the newer firmware and if the signature is incorrect, all Internet usage seems to become disabled. So.. use Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone instead which seems to be the only solution. Even the APN Editor App in Cydia doesn't work in the later firmware versions.

Another tip: Airtel offers Rs.98 per month 2GB Internet on prepaid. It may be better than paying so much for Vodafone (10paise for 10kb), for around the same speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
In my understanding, the phone is "without contract" but it is still locked . So you still have to go through the hassle of jailbreak and unlock. That is the same in case of Samsung Captivate and a few other phones as well. You can pick up one of these phones from Walmart or Frys or any store, but the carrier lock is still there. My friend recently bought a "no contract" Dell Streak for $650 and then had to return it because "no contract" does not mean "unlocked", and Dell refused to give him an unlock code. Then he came to India and bought a Streak from Univercell for just around 5K more and is a happy man.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 19th November 2010 at 03:05.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:52   #2561
Team-BHP Support

Ive activated the iPhone plan from Vodafone, but it still hasnt started working yet. The helpline people tell me to go to the Vodafone store since they dont know about the iPhone 4. I find that ridiculous. Will let the 48 hours for activation pass, hopefull it will work without my having to do anything.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:39   #2562
Team-BHP Support

Have you tried connecting the phone to iTunes? Just sync it once
Old 19th November 2010, 12:42   #2563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried connecting the phone to iTunes? Just sync it once
Was that for me? The phone is working fine. Im waiting for the data services to get active.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:47   #2564
Distinguished - BHPian

Why did you take the official iphone plan? It's a rip off. Rather pay a couple of hundred bucks extra and take the unlimited package (Rs.899). All you need is to use unlockit to do the settings on the iphone.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:51   #2565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why did you take the official iphone plan? It's a rip off. Rather pay a couple of hundred bucks extra and take the unlimited package (Rs.899). All you need is to use unlockit to do the settings on the iphone.
What 899 plan is this? Now im thoroughly confused. lol. I think all those APN settings etc are already there on my phone.

I took the 499 plan. My mother will be using this. Im very happy with my Bold 2 *runs for cover*

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks