Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 09:41   #2656
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

For all those unlockers, please remember that if you are on 4.2.1 it can run only tethered, which means if you reboot you will need your mac / windows to run redsn0w to boot into your device.
For all others it should run untethered.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:53   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check out Cedia app's there should be some options available for customizing. But you will have to do a jailbreak to install Cedia in the first place. Boot logo can be changed using Cedia, this am sure.
When doing jailbreak, there is an checkbox in redsn0w to use custom boot logos. You can use that.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:54   #2658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Too much of automobile hormones.
Its Cydia,Cedia is lancer Cedia
After upgrading to IOS 4.2.1 and baseband 6.15 i am unable to use GPS
on the phone(it used to work perfectly before the upgrade).
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
@Experts (especially Jaggu)

My cousin is coming from US in 3 days and I have told her to check for the availability of a 3GS / 4G. She isnt keen on getting a 3GS as she is using one and says there are network issues.
======= Anyone has an idea about the in-store prices of 16 and 8GB 3GS?
I reply often, i aint an expert. But if you are getting, get the 4. Unlock should come out soon according to dev team community. But yes latest firmware's are stuck, so when you switch ON check for firmware version, if its OLD, just hand on. And never ever click the update pop up from iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
When doing jailbreak, there is an checkbox in redsn0w to use custom boot logos. You can use that.
Oops that what i meant when i said am sure Cydia can do it ^^^
Old 9th December 2010, 11:48   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
@WanderNomad :

No expert, but will try to address a few of your queries. The unlockability of the iPhone 4 depends on the baseband / iOS version preinstalled on it. My friend here has been happily using his software-unlocked iPhone 4 running on 4.0 for more than two months now. If your phone will have 4.2, you're gonna have to wait.

I went with the 3GS as well when I had to choose between the two, but that's only because I have an iPod for backup and don't care much for added capacity, so an 8GB iPhone 3GS was just fine for me. You decide, the iPhone 4 can be worth the extra money sometimes, depends on what you want from a phone.

And yes, since June '10 the 16GB 3GS has been discontinued. With the launch of the iPhone 4, the 3GS 8GB was also introduced into the market and that's the only new one you can get right now.
Appreciate the help. But if one picks up from the store today, wont it be with the latest firmware.

Also how much is the 8 GB 3GS costing? Somehow I am getting inclined towards the 3GS.

Quote:
I reply often, i aint an expert. But if you are getting, get the 4. Unlock should come out soon according to dev team community. But yes latest firmware's are stuck, so when you switch ON check for firmware version, if its OLD, just hand on. And never ever click the update pop up from iTunes.
Thanx a lot for the reply. So sooner or later the unlock will be out and I wont be struck with an iPod . I am getting inclined towards the 3GS but will wait to take a final call based on the availability in the store.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:17   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate the help. But if one picks up from the store today, wont it be with the latest firmware.

Also how much is the 8 GB 3GS costing? Somehow I am getting inclined towards the 3GS.

Thanx a lot for the reply. So sooner or later the unlock will be out and I wont be struck with an iPod . I am getting inclined towards the 3GS but will wait to
take a final call based on the availability in the store.
if possible don't buy from store. i have 2 iphone 4 from store, one is unlocked by att which is a no-comittment phone and another under 2 yrs contract can't be unlocked by them and it comes with 4.1.

better to get brand new or like new pieces from craigslist. most are unlocked and jailbreaked.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:48   #2661
BHPian

Hey Chebelle - Unfortunately buying from Craiglist isnt a choice as my cousin comes in 3 days.
Old 9th December 2010, 13:38   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Chebelle - Unfortunately buying from Craiglist isnt a choice as my cousin comes in 3 days.
I would say, that's even better. find a couple of guys with iphone 4. call them, arrange meeting on same day/same time/next day any time and get it done and over with.

process done and over with in half and hour. just did a similar deal for iphone 3g for my friend - deal done in 10 mins, paid $140, asking was $180. second deal was of HTC Fuze - deal done in 15 mins, paid $120 asking was $160 for my sister.

both devices were like new - no scratches, unlocked, screen protector and case.

would advice though to keep a keen eye. depends a lot on who the seller is. in my case both turned out to be school going guys.
Old 13th December 2010, 07:52   #2663
Senior - BHPian

I have put up a compare on camera phone of iphone 4 and galaxy s.

link here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2172455

comments and brickbats welcome.
Old 14th December 2010, 02:38   #2664
BHPian

Just some general info. Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 are available pretty easily in the U.A.E Works out to approx Rs. 30k. Unfortunately all phones being sent officially by Apple to the Middle East have Facetime deactivated. Only way to use Facetime is to JB.
Old 14th December 2010, 09:43   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
Just some general info. Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 are available pretty easily in the U.A.E Works out to approx Rs. 30k. Unfortunately all phones being sent officially by Apple to the Middle East have Facetime deactivated. Only way to use Facetime is to JB.
I bought factory unlocked iPhone from Canada and it came to CAD 880 (including taxes). The Facetime gets activated once your SIM get activated and it doesnt require JB. I'm using Factime from here (chennai) to talk with my brother and friends.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:03   #2666
BANNED

The iPhone Thread-tweaks-002.jpg
Name:  tweaks 004.PNG
Views: 663
Size:  252.6 KB

Just tried this guys.... it rocks!
Run the HTC Sense lockscreen theme with working weather widget on iPhone 4! I tried this on my iPhone 3GS and it works there too. I am on iOS 4.1

How to Install HTC Sense Theme On Your iPhone 4 With iOS 4.X | how2i.com
Old 15th December 2010, 11:37   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Am planning to buy the iPhone 4 from Abu Dhabi - what will be the price for a 16g out there - Jailbroken etc. etc.? Will I face any issues in using it in India?
Old 15th December 2010, 11:57   #2668
BHPian

I have mentioned the price in my previous post. If you buy a JBed one, no issues, but like any JB iPhone, you cannot install iOS updates until they are cracked.
Old 15th December 2010, 13:25   #2669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Am planning to buy the iPhone 4 from Abu Dhabi - what will be the price for a 16g out there - Jailbroken etc. etc.? Will I face any issues in using it in India?
Price approx 29k, its officially unlocked so no issues using it in India. Only facetime will not work since its blocked.
Old 16th December 2010, 15:10   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Only facetime will not work since its blocked.
Can you confirm whether it is for iPhone 4 and factory unlocked? As i have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and facetime works like a charm!

Most Viewed