Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 11:58   #2851
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

I have been trying to update my iPhone 4 with 4.3 from Saturday with no luck. The irony is that my internet connection is not stable and once it got disconnected when it was close to 98%. This update is not resume-able .i.e, if it break in the middle you have to start downloading it from scratch !
Old 14th March 2011, 12:45   #2852
BHPian

^^ dont download the update from itunes, rather externally from a browser or via a download client like DAP, etc to auto resume your download.

Heres direct link to the download for 4.3 IPSW for iphone4 :http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...0_Restore.ipsw

You can then have an offline upgrade.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:50   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
^^ dont download the update from itunes, rather externally from a browser or via a download client like DAP, etc to auto resume your download.

Heres direct link to the download for 4.3 IPSW for iphone4 :http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...0_Restore.ipsw

@dar3dev: Thanks for this information. I'll try this today!
Old 14th March 2011, 20:25   #2854
BHPian

Hello ,

I want to buy an iPhone 3GS or iPhone4 . I will be picking it from USA . I have seen iPhone4 going from $450 to $600 and 3GS from $350-500 on ebay.

My query is if I buy the phone from here will it work with all the features in India , will it be unlocked/jailbroken without any issues? or should I buy factory unlocked , jailbroken handset which cost $500 for 3GS and $7-800 for iPhone4 ?

I am a newbie when it comes to phones , last phone I bought for myself was Nokia E71 . Please help and suggest.

Regards
Old 14th March 2011, 21:10   #2855
BHPian

I would prefer to buy unlock one rather waiting for unlock if given a choice. If you buy new one today with latest baseband, there is no unlock as off today and no TAT too. So better go for unlocked one.

Last edited by sam003 : 14th March 2011 at 21:12.
Old 15th March 2011, 00:07   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I would prefer to buy unlock one rather waiting for unlock if given a choice. If you buy new one today with latest baseband, there is no unlock as off today and no TAT too. So better go for unlocked one.
So even if I buy today with latest baseband it can be used in India after sometime when the unlock comes in the market? I am asking because the price diff between unlocked and locked is $200 , is it worth the price ?

What is TAT ?
Old 15th March 2011, 00:07   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hello ,

I want to buy an iPhone 3GS or iPhone4 . I will be picking it from USA . I have seen iPhone4 going from $450 to $600 and 3GS from $350-500 on ebay.
I too got my iphone 4 from US. It costed me $620 including tax (Locked for At&t)

Quote:
My query is if I buy the phone from here will it work with all the features in India , will it be unlocked/jailbroken without any issues? or should I buy factory unlocked , jailbroken handset which cost $500 for 3GS and $7-800 for iPhone4 ?
As pointed out above by @sam003 getting a locked phone from US is a big headache and very frustrating. I realised this when i got my new iphone couple of days back. Catch here is there are two things on iphone -
1. iOS.
2. Baseband.
Baseband is the key here. AFAIK Jailbreak is applicable only for iOS and unlock is for baseband. for eg: my iphone has 4.2.1 iOS and baseband is 3.10.1. Till date there is no unlock hack available for this version of baseband, though i can jailbreak my iOS. But whats the use of jailbreak when SIM will not be recognized and the phone will not serve the actual purpose. I also took my phone today to SP road and the guys over there told me that they will try to unlock the phone by 20th March since the unlock software for baseband 3.10.1 is not available yet.

Even if i unlock my phone, I should not be upgrading my phone to the next iOS version via itunes since that will upgrade the baseband version as well and the phone will get locked again. To add more worse to this if the next version of baseband you upgrade to if there is no unlock software available in the market you need to wait for days, weeks or even months for the release to unlock your phone again.

To sum up your question and as suggested by many in this forum to avoid all avoidable problems buy a factory unlocked version of iphone 4 from India if available. Best option IMO would be to get your iphone shipped from countries like Australia, UK or Singapore where you will get the factory unlocked phone and you will have all freedom to do whatever you want with your phone without any hesitation.

I dont want you to commit the mistake that i committed!!

I hope this helps.

Last edited by lazybrain : 15th March 2011 at 00:08.
Old 15th March 2011, 00:20   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I too got my iphone 4 from US. It costed me $620 including tax (Locked for At&t)

As pointed out above by @sam003 getting a locked phone from US is a big headache and very frustrating. I realised this when i got my new iphone couple of days back. Catch here is there are two things on iphone -
1. iOS.
2. Baseband.
Baseband is the key here. AFAIK Jailbreak is applicable only for iOS and unlock is for baseband. for eg: my iphone has 4.2.1 iOS and baseband is 3.10.1. Till date there is no unlock hack available for this version of baseband, though i can jailbreak my iOS. But whats the use of jailbreak when SIM will not be recognized and the phone will not serve the actual purpose. I also took my phone today to SP road and the guys over there told me that they will try to unlock the phone by 20th March since the unlock software for baseband 3.10.1 is not available yet.

Even if i unlock my phone, I should not be upgrading my phone to the next iOS version via itunes since that will upgrade the baseband version as well and the phone will get locked again. To add more worse to this if the next version of baseband you upgrade to if there is no unlock software available in the market you need to wait for days, weeks or even months for the release to unlock your phone again.

To sum up your question and as suggested by many in this forum to avoid all avoidable problems buy a factory unlocked version of iphone 4 from India if available. Best option IMO would be to get your iphone shipped from countries like Australia, UK or Singapore where you will get the factory unlocked phone and you will have all freedom to do whatever you want with your phone without any hesitation.

I dont want you to commit the mistake that i committed!!

I hope this helps.
Wow , Thanks for the detailed answer . Do you have any idea how much an iPhone 4 cost in India ? I have seen some on ebay going for $7-800 for unlocked and jailbroken one.
So basically buying an iPhone from US does not make sense and will give you problems sooner or later . Then why everybody going from USA buys 1 for himself or to gift it somebody ?

Once again thanks for the detailed explanation , it is really helpfull .
Old 15th March 2011, 10:13   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Wow , Thanks for the detailed answer . Do you have any idea how much an iPhone 4 cost in India ? I have seen some on ebay going for $7-800 for unlocked and jailbroken one.
A factory unlocked iPhone 4 from ebay India should cost you between 37-42K for the 16GB version depending on seller, sealed/open box, etc. I bought mine from ebay few weeks ago and upgraded to iOS 4.3 when the update was available. Buying an iPhone from US works cheaper but you would have to jailbreak it anyways and cannot update the firmware through iTunes whenever a new one is released. My understanding is jailbroken phones are a bit sluggish too. I could be wrong here. Others could throw some light on this.

Best option is to get an iPhone from Canada or Singapore where they sell factory unlocked versions. Costs around 31K for the 16GB version.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 15th March 2011 at 10:14.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:02   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post

@dar3dev: I have downloaded the file. Now how do i upgrade offline
Old 15th March 2011, 14:40   #2861
BHPian

^^ Open iTunes. Connect your phone. When you get the pop up asking you to upgrade, click later.

Press shift and then click restore. This will bring the browse dialog box, navigate to the location where you have saved the .ipsw and select it. Upgrade would start. But remember to backup all stuffs first.

I am running my iPhone on 4.0.1, now gonna update to 4.3
Using sn0wbreeze, got my custom firmware, once reach home, will update.

But I would be on a tethered jb :(

@fuel addict
Yes, I agree, the jb would somewhat be sluggish, due to all bits and pieces of apps we install in it. But who cares, we can anyways, kill the unnecessary running apps or do a respring to get the full juice back.
Old 15th March 2011, 15:11   #2862
BHPian

@mail4loys: guess dre@ms has mentioned the correct steps !

@dre@ms: are you using 3gs or iphone4? not sure if there is a jailbreak for IOS 4.3 yet !
Old 15th March 2011, 15:27   #2863
BHPian

I am using 3GS. Head up to redmondpie to get the required software/ipsw and the detailed steps to jb iOS 4.3

Jailbreak 4.3 on Windows iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch Using Sn0wbreeze 2.3 [Guide] | Redmond Pie
Old 16th March 2011, 06:39   #2864
BHPian

Anyone tried jailbreaking their iPhone 4 on 4.3 yet?
Old 17th March 2011, 10:55   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
^^ Open iTunes. Connect your phone. When you get the pop up asking you to upgrade, click later.

Press shift and then click restore. This will bring the browse dialog box, navigate to the location where you have saved the .ipsw and select it. Upgrade would start. But remember to backup all stuffs first.
dre@ms: I tried it yesterday night and actually it is not upgrading, it restores the software. By doing this i lost the entire data on my iPhone.

Then finally i restored iPhone with the .ipsw package and restored a back on top of this. The additional features that come with 4.3 like hotspots are still missing by doing this method.

What would be the better way out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks