Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 22:43   #3331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Why would 3G not work on T-Mobile? Have they locked down 3G to AT&T in iPhone 4?
Yes, they have locked it.

I am talking about factory unlocked iphone 4 which has started selling on apple's website for some $649 plus tax.

please go through link below. its on all websites.

Finally! Apple unlocks iPhone 4, no 3G for T-Mobile USA - Computerworld Blogs

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...d_iPhone_4.php

as per the news, only edge speeds would be achievable and not 3G speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
It works! And works well at that! Getting speeds of 2-3 MBps in Chennai.

Running a stock, factory unlocked iPhone 4
Sirji, i am well aware of factory unlocked iphones working in India

I wasn't clear enough, it was in response to the unlocked iphone 4 on sale at Apple's US website for $649.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th June 2011 at 23:24.
Old 17th June 2011, 23:24   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Yes, they have locked it.

I am talking about factory unlocked iphone 4 which has started selling on apple's website for some $649 plus tax.

please go through link below. its on all websites.

Finally! Apple unlocks iPhone 4, no 3G for T-Mobile USA - Computerworld Blogs

Apple Now Selling Unlocked iPhone 4

as per the news, only edge speeds would be achievable and not 3G speeds.
Interesting information, I will check with my friends & report if this is indeed the case, although they have the locked iPhone 4s which they are using with Turbo Sims
Old 18th June 2011, 23:18   #3333
BHPian

Hey guys

I am getting a locked iphone4. Just wanted to ask if we can update the OS if the phone is unlocked in India. Its urgent as i have to buy at the earliest.

Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 23:57   #3334
BHPian

I did not know Iphone 4 was available in Factory Unlocked state in India. Inquired in Access2Future and its available for 34k with bill and warranty.
Old 19th June 2011, 00:15   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605
Hey guys

I am getting a locked iphone4. Just wanted to ask if we can update the OS if the phone is unlocked in India. Its urgent as i have to buy at the earliest.

Thanks
You can unlock the phone anywhere and also update anywhere (as long as the hack is out; sometimes one needs to wait for the hack to be released). But if your phone was originally locked, you'll need to unlock every time you update the OS.
Old 19th June 2011, 07:23   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar
Hey Guys ,

I want to buy an Factory unlocked iPhone to use in India .
New Factory Unlocked White Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB OS 4 | eBay

Is it a good deal ? $522 for 3GS 16GB?
Any pointers to better deal . I want to buy it from US only as I won't be having a heart to shell out the money in INR
Not sure if getting a 3GS is a good idea because it won't be supported by iOS 5 which is just around the corner. If you can live with that, then go ahead. Otherwise, I suggest, pick up an iPhone 4 with a little extra money. It will be worth it in the long run.
Orko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 12:53   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
Not sure if getting a 3GS is a good idea because it won't be supported by iOS 5 which is just around the corner. If you can live with that, then go ahead. Otherwise, I suggest, pick up an iPhone 4 with a little extra money. It will be worth it in the long run.
iOS 5 will be supported on the 3GS according to Apple. There are some features that the 3GS may not get on the new OS.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:24   #3338
Senior - BHPian

I have an iPhone 4 that was unlocked for me by my service provider when I left France. When I tried to see recommendations for iOS 5, some of the sites did not recommend doing this on an unlocked iPhone.
If I try to install iOS 5 now, will it affect my unlocked iPhone?

Appreciate your advice & comments
Old 20th June 2011, 17:27   #3339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
iOS 5 will be supported on the 3GS according to Apple. There are some features that the 3GS may not get on the new OS.
Yeah, you're right. I had read earlier that it may not be supported but now Apple has clarified that it will. Having said that, I used an iPhone 3G earlier and although iOS 4 officially supported the 3G (barring certain features), it was so excruciatingly slow that I downgraded back to iOS 3 in a week. One hopes that iOS 5 and the 3GS won't be similar. Personally, I would wait and see the performance on iOS 5 before buying the 3GS. Of course, if having the latest OS isn't a big factor, then one can pick it up right now and stick with iOS 4 which is a pretty cool OS anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have an iPhone 4 that was unlocked for me by my service provider when I left France. When I tried to see recommendations for iOS 5, some of the sites did not recommend doing this on an unlocked iPhone.
If I try to install iOS 5 now, will it affect my unlocked iPhone?

Appreciate your advice & comments
Don't the French iPhones come factory unlocked? If they do, you're golden — just wait for iOS 5 to be released and upgrade.

If your iPhone didn't come factory unlocked, then it's tricky.
If the service provider has unlocked it officially (I've never heard of this being done but I guess it's possible) then I suppose, it's just the same as a factory unlocked phone. It should upgrade without problems.
If a hack was used to unlock it (unlikely being a service provider), you'll have to wait for a hack to appear for every new OS update before upgrading.

Hope this helps.
Old 20th June 2011, 18:07   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Please help with an app for calendar alarms. The stock calendar alarm is useless, very weak and doesnt get you to snooze it or aknowledge the calendar entry, just beeps and stays on the screen. Missing my E72.
Any help on this query?
Old 20th June 2011, 18:15   #3341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
Don't the French iPhones come factory unlocked? If they do, you're golden — just wait for iOS 5 to be released and upgrade.

If your iPhone didn't come factory unlocked, then it's tricky.
If the service provider has unlocked it officially (I've never heard of this being done but I guess it's possible) then I suppose, it's just the same as a factory unlocked phone. It should upgrade without problems.
If a hack was used to unlock it (unlikely being a service provider), you'll have to wait for a hack to appear for every new OS update before upgrading.

Hope this helps.
It certainly helps a lot, thanks!
Well, my service provider put in a request with Apple. I then received a text from them after a week asking to connect to iTunes and reset the phone (dont remember which one was first). After that I followed the steps as recommended and the phone was unlocked. The sales guy at the service provider confirmed to me that it would be unlocked for complete use. I presume this means factory unlocked, though I dont really know the difference. What I do know is that I can use any simcard on this phone now. I appreciate it if you can throw some light on the status of my phone!

I dont mind waiting for the official release, but do you think any of the features in the current iOS 5 may not be provided in the official release?
Old 20th June 2011, 19:26   #3342
Senior - BHPian

I got a new IPHONE 4 unlocked one. It is doing well but it did not recognize the bsnl 3g sim until I synchronize with my imac. The ring tone change was a big problem. Finally I could convert to a4r format. Some of my MP3 songs and stored in my sounds. Now it works. My favorite tamil songs Sutrum Vizhi Chudar, Vizhi moodi,Taxi,Taxi and Nanpathi Nee pathi Kanne.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:00   #3343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

It certainly helps a lot, thanks!
Well, my service provider put in a request with Apple. I then received a text from them after a week asking to connect to iTunes and reset the phone (dont remember which one was first). After that I followed the steps as recommended and the phone was unlocked. The sales guy at the service provider confirmed to me that it would be unlocked for complete use. I presume this means factory unlocked, though I dont really know the difference. What I do know is that I can use any simcard on this phone now. I appreciate it if you can throw some light on the status of my phone!

I dont mind waiting for the official release, but do you think any of the features in the current iOS 5 may not be provided in the official release?
Sounds factory unlocked to me. Not sure how to know for certain. I think if you've allowed iTunes to update your phone software at any point and didn't have problems afterwards, then you almost certainly have a factory unlocked one now.

About your second question: there is no current iOS 5, unless you mean the beta version seeded to developers. You don't want it just yet -- better to wait for the official release once any bugs are ironed out. The current version is iOS 4 and the existing features on it will definitely be in the new OS in some form or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo

Any help on this query?
I did a quick search in the AppStore with these key words: Alarm, Calendar, Snooze; and it threw up a few options. I suggest you have a look at them and choose the one you think best.

If your alarm volume isn't loud enough, you could try upping it in the Settings menu.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th June 2011 at 21:19. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Orko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 21:18   #3344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have an iPhone 4 that was unlocked for me by my service provider when I left France.
Its a legal service which French service providers offers. Go ahead no issue of unlocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any help on this query?
Increase the system volume or wait for iOS 5 for now

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th June 2011 at 21:20.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:26   #3345
BHPian

Got myself a factory unlocked iPhone 4 32gb yesterday. Tried syncing it, but it kept restarting. And then, I get the Temperature warning. Took it back to the store, and it restarted again there. They said they need 2 days to replace it.

But, I checked today, and it doesn't restart anymore. Should I get it replaced or just keep it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks