Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 06:04   #3346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn
Got myself a factory unlocked iPhone 4 32gb yesterday. Tried syncing it, but it kept restarting. And then, I get the Temperature warning. Took it back to the store, and it restarted again there. They said they need 2 days to replace it.

But, I checked today, and it doesn't restart anymore. Should I get it replaced or just keep it?
If they're offering a replacement, don't even think twice -- just take it. You don't want to rue it later if the problem resurfaces.
Old 21st June 2011, 13:50   #3347
kkg
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

I have a factory unlocked I phone 4. My friend is keen on having it but he works in a company where camera phones are not allowed.

I want to know whether the camera of the Iphone can be made non functional (by any software or by removing the camera itself).ANY POINTERS??
Old 21st June 2011, 16:07   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I have a factory unlocked I phone 4. My friend is keen on having it but he works in a company where camera phones are not allowed.

I want to know whether the camera of the Iphone can be made non functional (by any software or by removing the camera itself).ANY POINTERS??
You want to remove the camera?! The iPhone 4 has two of them (front and back) and short of prying them open which will damage your phone, I can't imagine how it's possible! Not advisable, mate.

Ask your friend to think of black-masking them or choosing another phone.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:35   #3349
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
Ask your friend to think of black-masking them or choosing another phone.

Security is very very tight where my friend works so the black masking thing is not going to work I guess.

AS far as other options are concerned, there are hardly any apart from some obsolete BB world editions and 8830s and they are no match for Iphone. Not to forget here "If you don't have a Iphone, you don't have a Iphone".He just wants to experience this.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:38   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
Not sure if getting a 3GS is a good idea because it won't be supported by iOS 5 which is just around the corner. If you can live with that, then go ahead. Otherwise, I suggest, pick up an iPhone 4 with a little extra money. It will be worth it in the long run.
2-3 days back Apple finally decided to provide factory unlocked iPhone 4 in USA like they provide in Canada , Hongkong etc.

I am getting the 16GB White Coloured for $687 with Taxes . Is it a good buy ? Phone will be used in India with Airtel Prepaid connection.
Old 21st June 2011, 23:37   #3351
Senior - BHPian

Any one using the Mapmyindia maps on the iphone? Any feedback?
Old 21st June 2011, 23:56   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Security is very very tight where my friend works so the black masking thing is not going to work I guess. As far as other options are concerned, there are hardly any apart from some obsolete BB world editions and 8830s and they are no match for Iphone. Not to forget here "If you don't have a Iphone, you don't have a Iphone".He just wants to experience this.
Then why doesn't he get two phones? One for work and one for other times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
2-3 days back Apple finally decided to provide factory unlocked iPhone 4 in USA like they provide in Canada , Hongkong etc. I am getting the 16GB White Coloured for $687 with Taxes . Is it a good buy ? Phone will be used in India with Airtel Prepaid connection.
Well, at that price, it's about Rs. 4000 cheaper than in India, not counting the tax. So yeah, I suppose it is a good buy.
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:02   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any one using the Mapmyindia maps on the iphone? Any feedback?
I have used MapmyIndia on the iPhone and I found this to be much better than the regular GPS devices because you an instant GPS signal lock. The apps so accurate that, it differentiates between the main road and the service roads. The roads and locations are pretty accurate and up to date. There are several additional features on this that you wont find on a regular GPS device like traffic info, police check points, speed traps etc.

The only negative thing about this app is the price, used to be around $ 70. it is $ 50 now, but still very expensive for an app as they provide this for free on several handsets.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:24   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I have used MapmyIndia on the iPhone and I found this to be much better than the regular GPS devices because you an instant GPS signal lock. The apps so accurate that, it differentiates between the main road and the service roads. The roads and locations are pretty accurate and up to date. There are several additional features on this that you wont find on a regular GPS device like traffic info, police check points, speed traps etc.

The only negative thing about this app is the price, used to be around $ 70. it is $ 50 now, but still very expensive for an app as they provide this for free on several handsets.
Isn't it going to be a huge battery drainer to use that app on the phone? A dedicated GPS receiver or even an iPad for that matter might be more practical.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:08   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

Isn't it going to be a huge battery drainer to use that app on the phone? A dedicated GPS receiver or even an iPad for that matter might be more practical.
Whenever I get into my car, I connect my iPhone to my head unit for music, which also charges it. Hence battery problems isn't a concern at all. Even a dedicated GPS receiver does the same thing.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:51   #3356
Senior - BHPian

My friend got the white one (iP4) last week from Airtel. He had the old black one (iP4), bought it when it was launched.

He confirms that the new one has better reception and battery life.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:55   #3357
BHPian

@rg_chn
If Apple offers a replacement, close your eyes and go for it. No turning back.

@kkg
You can hide the camera icon from the iPhone. Goto Restrictions under Settings and Enable for Camera. The icon will vanish.

@mail4ajo
I have used Navigon and boy, my iPhone was heating up like hell and battery draining faster. Better to use it while charging.

After much struggle and one day without my iPhone, got the iOS5 loaded on my 3GS.

The first time I did the restore ended my phone in a looping DFU mode. Then updated my desktop iTunes to the 10.3.1 and downgraded to 4.3.3 and set it up as a new phone in iTunes.
Then again upgraded to iOS5, this time worked like a charm. But once the iOS5 is loaded, we need iTunes 10.5 to recognize it. I ignored first.

Once the phone reboots after loading iOS5, it starts the setup, asking the country, language and then comes the wifi identification screen. Whatever I do, I cant go back from this screen. The Next button is disabled and clicking on other brings up nothing.

Upgraded my iTunes 10.3 to 10.5 and synced with the previous fresh backup of 4.3.3
Again started the setup and voila, skipped the wifi screen.

iCloud setup is also included in it. Worked like a charm.

The battery backup and speaker volume is considerably increased. Love the Notifications and yet to explore it to full, since was away on a tour and most doesnt work with EDGE connection.

One good thing I like is, the camera icon near in the locak screen when music is played. I can activate it without unlocking.

Facing itsy bitsy issue sometimes, but its stable.

Love the iOS5 and waiting for the iPhone 5 which is launching on September with the A5 processor and 8MP camera.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:35   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Most of the big phone dealers can repair iphones nowadays. Just go to your regular 'mobilewala' and he will get it fixed.
My regular mobilewala changed some strip (1800 bucks) and it started working. For about 2 hours. Then the same problem resurfaced along with a new problem that the unit wasnt getting connected or charged. I returned to him and he fixed the issue again fro no charge this time.
It started working ok again. For about 2 days. Now the same problem has returned that the person on the other end cannot hear me.

How often will I have to keep getting this done? Is there no permanent solution to this?
And to think I bought it only because of its international warranty which now is totally worthless to me.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:50   #3359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have an iPhone 4 that was unlocked for me by my service provider when I left France. When I tried to see recommendations for iOS 5, some of the sites did not recommend doing this on an unlocked iPhone.
If I try to install iOS 5 now, will it affect my unlocked iPhone?

Appreciate your advice & comments
You could enter the serial number on the supposrt page to see what support is offered outside of france.
I checked mine and found it was factory unlocked cos airtel and aircel were listed as support providers.
I needed to check factory unlock for some other purposes, though.

EDIT:
try here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Last edited by mayankk : 22nd June 2011 at 15:15. Reason: added linkie thingie
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:01   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You could enter the serial number on the supposrt page to see what support is offered outside of france.
I checked mine and found it was factory unlocked cos airtel and aircel were listed as support providers.
I needed to check factory unlock for some other purposes, though.
Sorry to be a bit basic; how do I get to the support page? Can you please provide any link/ info?

Most Viewed