Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2012, 14:18   #4531
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Just some news for those of you guys who have got locked-to-AT&T No-Contract iPhone4's:

There's a lot of shops advertising a factory unlock in Bombay. Costs between 6000-6500 bucks and takes about 10 days. AND you have to pay upfront, AND no receipt will be given for your payment. The shops are saying that you have to go through them even if you have a No-Contract phone, as you have to be a US citizen for the legal factory unlock. Well, that's baloney.

If you have a No-Contract iPhone4 - meaning that you bought it for its full price and were under no legal obligation for a contract with AT&T at the time of purchase, don't go in for this option because AT&T will do this for you for free. You dont have to be a US citizen, don't have to have an AT&T account. Its time to throw away the Gevey.

Have your IMEI number ready. Just call AT&T International Customer Care at +19168434685 or +18003310500 from India and choose the Unlock iPhone4 option. Explain your problem to the executive and they will ask for your IMEI number and email ID. They may ask for you to forward proof of purchase. (They asked me and I was a little busy - didn't send it to them for 3 days. So they just sent me the unlock procedure anyway.)

You'll get an email saying that your device is unlockable and describing the procedure.

I was about to pay 6500 bucks to get this done. Wow!

PS: The number is NOT toll free, so expect to be charged for an international call. But hell, I would rather pay for this call than pay 6500 bucks to some tout and then have the "factory unlock" rolled back by Apple when they find out somebody's been busy behind their backs!

Last edited by Brocklock : 26th May 2012 at 14:23.
Old 27th May 2012, 01:05   #4532
BHPian

iOS 5.1.1 and jail broken

I got my AT&T locked phone unlocked. Downloaded and installed iOS 5.1.1. Jail broke the phone using Absinthe 2.0.1. Followed the steps from: UnTethered Jailbreak 5.1.1 iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS Absinthe 2.0 | Absinthe Jailbreak.com Absinthe is very easy to use, and any one can jail break the phone very easily.
Old 27th May 2012, 10:59   #4533
BHPian

Do we have to Jailbreak the IP4S everytime we make an OS upgrade? Or if it is once done, it remains jail breaked for ever?

How do I backup all my data and apps before Jailbreaking? Is iCloud meant for this?

Last edited by joe1980 : 27th May 2012 at 11:04.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:15   #4534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Do we have to Jailbreak the IP4S everytime we make an OS upgrade? Or if it is once done, it remains jail breaked for ever?

How do I backup all my data and apps before Jailbreaking? Is iCloud meant for this?
You need to jail break your phone every time a new version of iOS is installed. You can back up your data/settings to iTunes before jail breaking your phone and then restore it back if needed.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:04   #4535
BHPian

You meant iTunes or iCloud? I was just thinking if I should go for iCloud backup of all my fotos and a couple of other apps that I have on my IP4S. But I do not know how worthy that is. How does iCloud compare to dropbox apart from the GB's they offer?
Old 28th May 2012, 14:26   #4536
BHPian

Dman, one of my phones just stopped working. Have given it to a known guy to figure out, but am really sad about this as this one was probably the least used among the three in the family.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:31   #4537
BHPian

mav2000 did you try to restart the phone by pressing the lock and home buttons simultaneously for a few seconds ?
Old 29th May 2012, 16:43   #4538
BHPian

Is there any free app that allows me to block phone numbers / allow only calls from numbers in my list?

Saw iBlackList in the App Store (for $ 1.99) but it has very poor reviews.
Old 29th May 2012, 22:11   #4539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Is there any free app that allows me to block phone numbers / allow only calls from numbers in my list?

Even I wanted to have an app like this but unfortunately did not find any. Just a bit of googling revealed that I need to have a Jailbreaked iPhone to install some apps specifically designed to block incoming and outgoing calls.

Would be happy if anyone here points us to some apps that works without the need to Jailbreaking.
Old 29th May 2012, 22:33   #4540
BHPian

Quote:
iBlacklist is not for 1.99 USD but it costs 11 USD. I purchased it 4 months back from cydia stores and in my experience it is worth every penny. Not only am i able to block unwanted calls/SMS from my contact list but also from recent call logs. I would suggest if you can afford go for it, you wont regret for sure
Old 30th May 2012, 01:03   #4541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain

iBlacklist is not for 1.99 USD but it costs 11 USD. I purchased it 4 months back from cydia stores and in my experience it is worth every penny. Not only am i able to block unwanted calls/SMS from my contact list but also from recent call logs. I would suggest if you can afford go for it, you wont regret for sure
I didn't pay a single penny for it
Whats the use of jailbreaking your iphone if you pay for cydia tweaks.

Just google around and you would find a solution for everything

iBlacklist is one app i cant live without, its a must have for every phone.
Old 30th May 2012, 04:05   #4542
Senior - BHPian

Re: iOS 5.1.1 and jail broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
I got my AT&T locked phone unlocked. Downloaded and installed iOS 5.1.1. Jail broke the phone using Absinthe 2.0.1. Followed the steps from: UnTethered Jailbreak 5.1.1 iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS Absinthe 2.0 | Absinthe Jailbreak.com Absinthe is very easy to use, and any one can jail break the phone very easily.
What was your previous iOS version? Also what was the baseband(Modem Firmware) version?
Old 30th May 2012, 10:55   #4543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Even I wanted to have an app like this but unfortunately did not find any. Just a bit of googling revealed that I need to have a Jailbreaked iPhone to install some apps specifically designed to block incoming and outgoing calls.

Would be happy if anyone here points us to some apps that works without the need to Jailbreaking.
The only option available now is to jailbreak (Cydia / Absinthe) - I tried a few free apps, Nothing seem to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
You jailbreaked a iPhone and Paid for an APP? Don't understand your point of paying when the phone is already jailbreaked! Anyway, i rechecked App Store - It costs 1.99 (Not sure if its the same App that you have!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
iBlacklist is one app i cant live without, its a must have for every phone.
That is what I'm confused of : To Jailbreak or Not to - Without JailBreak - I cant install iBlackList
Old 30th May 2012, 11:07   #4544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker
That is what I'm confused of : To Jailbreak or Not to - Without JailBreak - I cant install iBlackList
The new version of iOS will most probably be launched in Upcoming Apple event on June 11. So hold on to your horses and hopefully you will have more worthwhile upgrade than to jailbreak.

Try not to pick the calls from unwanted numbers instead
Old 30th May 2012, 11:39   #4545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only option available now is to jailbreak (Cydia / Absinthe) - I tried a few free apps, Nothing seem to work.

You jailbreaked a iPhone and Paid for an APP? Don't understand your point of paying when the phone is already jailbreaked! Anyway, i rechecked App Store - It costs 1.99 (Not sure if its the same App that you have!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The new version of iOS will most probably be launched in Upcoming Apple event on June 11. So hold on to your horses and hopefully you will have more worthwhile upgrade than to jailbreak.

Try not to pick the calls from unwanted numbers instead

As it is the upgrade will wipe the jailbreak, so why not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks