Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 09:41   #4636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon
It was a yes till last night. Not sure if something changed in between then and now.
I had checked at the Apple outlet at Forum last sunday about the car charger and they said Apple doesn't make them, but third party ones are available. I got myself one from Capdase with dual outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon
Once you start using it, you'll say your feeling empty without it. I can guarantee you on this.
Amen to that! It's a one stop shop for all your communication needs - calls, msgs, email, chat, VoIP, navigation, you name it it has it!
Old 15th June 2012, 10:03   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
I was recently gifted an iPhone 4S 64GB bought in India. I changed my Airtel SIM to a micro and installed in it. All along I've been a Nokia user, the last phone being an E-7. I am so very used to Nokia and its functions. Now my daughter has taken away the E-7.

While I could manage to get my contacts & calendar onto the iPhone, could not get the messages imported.

BTW, I've an iPad 2 & an iMac. All the three including the iPhone have the iCloud function activated. But till date I've not understood how the cloud works. I've a couple of queries:

- does Apple make mobile charger for iPhone?

- like Nokia has a facility to create a group in contacts so that by one click all the persons in the group can be sent a SMS, does iPhone also have the same?

Suddenly thrice I discovered that all my contacts had been erased. I don't know how. Somebody suggested a neat utility called phonecopy.com and I created an account there and synced my Nokia phone. All the three times that my contact data got lost on iPhone, I had to get them back from phone copy.
Congratulations GD Bhaisaab. Welcome to IPhone clan.

- If you are asking about car charger then Apple is not making them and are sold by other companies like Capdase and are reliable for sure. If you are asking for a normal charger then it is made by Apple only.

- No such facility available from Apple but you can try third party and use the one that suits you.

- does you contacts get completely erased when you sync your device with laptop through iTunes?

As suggest by Fellow BHPian best way would be sync your Nokia contacts through Outlook contacts and then transfer them to IPhone by syncing your outlook by IPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK

I had checked at the Apple outlet at Forum last sunday about the car charger and they said Apple doesn't make them, but third party ones are available. I got myself one from Capdase with dual outlet.
Indeed car charger comes from accessory companies like Capdase.

What was the price that you paid for Dual outlet charger?
Old 15th June 2012, 10:19   #4638
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Indeed car charger comes from accessory companies like Capdase.

What was the price that you paid for Dual outlet charger?
cost me 499/-

this is the one i bought; its chocolate brown though, not white.
Old 15th June 2012, 10:31   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
. I was under an impression that gd1418 wanted a normal electric charger!
Old 15th June 2012, 12:24   #4640
F50
Senior - BHPian

I called up Apple Support India and asked to fix my 3GS' display. Im ready to pay charges as its 2 year old and out of warranty phone. They took my IMEI number and instantly pointed out, it was purchased in USA.

Since it was bought in USA they would not be able to fix it in India. I mean how dumb is that? They said regions are different. They cannot order one part and the whole phone is to be replaced. In such case customer has to pay over 15k for the replacement. And its a US product, I have to send it to US for anything to be done. She also suggested that its better I get it fixed by a third party.

Can this be implied, any Apply products bought in USA cannot be serviced in India? It was not the case few years back. My iPod, the initial bunch of iPod 4GB, was showing a sad smiley and it was replaced free of cost and ya it was bought in USA.

This is bad news if US products cannot be serviced in India. That means my Mac, iPods, iPhones 3GS and 4S, iPad 2 are worthless here?
Old 15th June 2012, 12:48   #4641
Senior - BHPian

Not really, just that some products and some problems have better service support outside, hence low interest level at Apple Service in India. For example, other than those for the latest models, they don't stock batteries. For batteries, getting it from eBay and replacing yourself is the best option - they even give tools for opening the device.

If you look at craigslist in USA for 2nd hand iPhones, you will find 50% of the postings are by people who replace displays - it is *that* common in US.

You could look at procuring a replacement display on eBay or Amazon - not a difficult DIY.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:55   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
I called up Apple Support India and asked to fix my 3GS' display. Im ready to pay charges as its 2 year old and out of warranty phone. They took my IMEI number and instantly pointed out, it was purchased in USA.

Since it was bought in USA they would not be able to fix it in India. I mean how dumb is that? They said regions are different. They cannot order one part and the whole phone is to be replaced. In such case customer has to pay over 15k for the replacement. And its a US product, I have to send it to US for anything to be done. She also suggested that its better I get it fixed by a third party.

Can this be implied, any Apply products bought in USA cannot be serviced in India? It was not the case few years back. My iPod, the initial bunch of iPod 4GB, was showing a sad smiley and it was replaced free of cost and ya it was bought in USA.

This is bad news if US products cannot be serviced in India. That means my Mac, iPods, iPhones 3GS and 4S, iPad 2 are worthless here?
They will not touch iphones that are made in other regions. However if an iphone is bought in india then they will repair/replace it. Its their company policy.

However any other portable apple device (except for iphone) that is bought in some other region will NOT be rejected by apple care and they will repair/replace it and treat you like a normal customer. So your macbooks, iPods, ipad2 are safe here but not the iphones.
Old 15th June 2012, 13:22   #4643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cost me 499/-

this is the one i bought; its chocolate brown though, not white.
I purchased online from ebay something like this.

Includes

Charger for car
Wall charger
Cable
Handsfree kit (wasnt available when I had bought)

Now the prices have dropped quite a bit and the sellers are selling with handsfree kit too.

iPhone iPod Wall Charger + USB Data Cable + Car Charger + Handsfree 2G 3GS 4GS | eBay

Last edited by tanwaramit : 15th June 2012 at 13:24.
Old 15th June 2012, 13:34   #4644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I use this in the car . Super product

Belkin : AC Anywhere + USB port + 200W
Old 15th June 2012, 15:19   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I purchased online from ebay something like this.

.. snip ..

Now the prices have dropped quite a bit and the sellers are selling with handsfree kit too.

i got a similar one (don't remember the brand) from Spice outlet in Garuda mall for 999/- and the car charger doesn't work now; i get a message that this power source cannot charge (or something similar). hence the new Capdase one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I use this in the car . Super product

Belkin : AC Anywhere + USB port + 200W
i've the 300W version of the Belkin car DC/AC converter, but use it only for my laptop and camera charger (when on long trips or where access to AC power is unavailable).
Old 15th June 2012, 16:45   #4646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i got a similar one (don't remember the brand) from Spice outlet in Garuda mall for 999/- and the car charger doesn't work now; i get a message that this power source cannot charge (or something similar). hence the new Capdase one.
Mines working fine, bought through eBay, now around 1.5 yrs old.

Best of it all, it charges my 3G, 4, and iPad 2.

When traveling in the car, I use this one only as its a complete package in all with wall socket, cable etc.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:04   #4647
BHPian

i have Sygic map my india navigation 11.2.5 installed on my iphone 4.
i logged in with my email also.
i am not able to receive real time traffic update.
does this feature work in India at all?

Edit: Mods might want to shift this post to GPS navigation discussion thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...blets-etc.html

Last edited by Nicky : 18th June 2012 at 11:09.
Old 18th June 2012, 16:40   #4648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i've the 300W version of the Belkin car DC/AC converter, but use it only for my laptop and camera charger (when on long trips or where access to AC power is unavailable).
Slightly OT but I would like to know what are the differences between 300W and 200W models? Say I use it to charge Laptop or to charge camera battery (via battery charger) then which version would be better (or should I say suffice)? I am planning to buy one.
Old 18th June 2012, 16:52   #4649
Senior - BHPian

Yawwwwwwwwwnnn... I think I have started to feel stagnated now with the iPhone. But the biggest problem is, what to choose next. Being an Apple lover, don't know which can fit the supreme experience that Apple products give.

Out of all the candidates, I am most impressed with Nokia Lumia 900, which is yet to be launched in India. However, read a new about Nokia somewhere that they are doing really bad. Lack of cash, top exec running away to other big brands, etc.

Any ideas? Probably the wrong thread to ask, but there might at least 5% iPhone users who might be yawning like me.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:22   #4650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Slightly OT but I would like to know what are the differences between 300W and 200W models? Say I use it to charge Laptop or to charge camera battery (via battery charger) then which version would be better (or should I say suffice)? I am planning to buy one.
A 200W model should suffice for most devices . If the price difference isnt much , you can probably opt for a 300 W one .

The Belkin website lists the various online retailers that sell this product . I got a good deal of about 25% discount from one of these .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks