Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:30   #4846
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Any ideas?

Edit: Its out of warranty and I have not purchased the Apple Protection plan. I think I am doomed.
This a known issue with all iphones. After some time the home button becomes faulty and does not work. This is a hardware error and there are are two work arounds:

a) Use a software that uses the screen to simulate the press of the home button. Google it.
b) Get it repaired. If this is a legit import Apple will accept the phone. If a grey market piece other 3rd party technicians will do it. But a warning - they aren't exactly careful when putting it back together.

If you ask me this is a design defect exacerbated by the double 'clicking' post IOS5's so called 'multitasking' appeared. My IP4 gave this problem and one of the more unorthodox methods of fixing this is using a vacuum cleaner. Why? Some believe dust gets into the switch mechanism and prevents firm contact. Take a VC and hold it to the bottom of the phone near the dock connector. It worked temporarily for me. Remember this is a HW error and the only permanent fix is replacing the switch.

I am very careful with my IP4s and make sure the dock connector is protected and kept clean. I also do not press hard down on the HB so I hope the contacts last a little longer.
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:37   #4847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post

This hasn't worked for me. I guess I have to take it to the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This a known issue with all iphones. After some time the home button becomes faulty and does not work. This is a hardware error and there are are two work arounds:

a) Use a software that uses the screen to simulate the press of the home button. Google it.
b) Get it repaired. If this is a legit import Apple will accept the phone. If a grey market piece other 3rd party technicians will do it. But a warning - they aren't exactly careful when putting it back together.
+100. Being the most tortured, tormented key on the phone, its always prone to these issues.

BTW, mine is a pretty legit phone bought at Reliance iStore in Pune. So the authorized service guys should oblige I hope.
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:22   #4848
BHPian

Ajay,
Do the following:
Settings > general > accessibility > assistive touch
Select assistive touch on
It will give you a soft touch option for all iPhone hardware keys.
I hope you have the latest iOS. I'm not sure if it works on older ones. But it's worth a shot.

This is likely to be a hardware issue. Let me know if the vacuum idea works.

Best of luck
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:39   #4849
Senior - BHPian

After trying all sorts of ideas, the Home key refused to work. That was until today morning, when it suddenly started working as if nothing had ever happened to it and it was my nightmare.

I also used the 'Reset All Settings' option and after rebooting itself, the Home button was working fine for a few minutes before it went into slumber again.

@Jet-thrust: The iOS is up-to-date. No issues with that. I will try the Assistive Touch option, seems to be useful.

The feeling that you get when the Home button doesn't work, is one of the most $%^&@#$ feeling ever. I was feeling like one of my limb is being amputated.

BTW, I met 5 iPhone owners yesterday evening at a relative's place coincidentally and 3 out of the 5 have already had this problem. They said that it gets back to normal after a while and may crop up again too. Not a BIG deal!!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 23rd August 2012 at 10:40.
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:02   #4850
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : YouTube downloads & playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis;
>>>

Apologies if this query has been answered already somewhere above - in which case please point me to the right place if you can! And also for the quick back to back posts.

I can't save a YouTube clip and play it offline. I have to stay connected on the 3G network. Isn't there any way that I can select a paricular clip on YouTube, download it on my 4S and save it, and play it later while offline? How do I do this?

Regards
issigonis
Yes you can without jailbreak Use LegendSoft 's Video downloader , PM me for more information.
Old 23rd August 2012, 19:29   #4851
BHPian

@issogonis and @kool_kid if the device is jailbroken easiest way to save YouTube videos offline is to download an app from Cydia by name "protube". This app will also give you options to download video in normal quality or HD quality
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:04   #4852
BHPian

Ajay
My home button has been sporadic as well and the assistive touch is a blessing so do give it a shot. Tried vacuum. No joy. Lemme know if you like assistive touch. It takes a little while getting used to it though.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:59   #4853
F50
Senior - BHPian

Any Gevey S users here?

Im using Gevey Ultra S on my 4S. Everything was working fine (a month) untill yesterday, the phone suddenly stopped working. Now it asks to Activate Sim. When I use my Vodafone+Gevey it shows Searching and No Service.

Has the Gevey conked off?
Old 27th August 2012, 14:04   #4854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This hasn't worked for me. I guess I have to take it to the service center.

+100. Being the most tortured, tormented key on the phone, its always prone to these issues.

BTW, mine is a pretty legit phone bought at Reliance iStore in Pune. So the authorized service guys should oblige I hope.
Taking to the service center is the best thing. I have an IPad that has the same issue. I am wondering how to convince the service guys, as it works 95% of the days. Very rarely it stops working, and it only works after a few minutes.

However, on the iPad the Home button action can be accomplished by a gesture - which you cant do with the iphone.

A friend of mine has a similar issue, and he found that every time he charges his phone, the issue is very highly reproducible right after removing it from charge. See if you too have a similar pattern..?
Old 27th August 2012, 14:30   #4855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
A friend of mine has a similar issue, and he found that every time he charges his phone, the issue is very highly reproducible right after removing it from charge. See if you too have a similar pattern..?
The issue hasn't come back again for a while now. But, whatever I read on Apple forums and heard from iPhone owners, the issue is highly likely to surface again, which is annoying.

I am a huge fan of Apple products and this is the last thing I expected from them. People talk about this issue on the official Apple forum as if its one of the standard feature on the iPhone.

Infact I was so frustrated with this problem last week, that I actually went to Samsung and Nokia showrooms to checkout S3 and Lumia. But, its impossible to be impressed (IMHO) by any other handset now.
Old 28th August 2012, 00:57   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute
The feeling that you get when the Home button doesn't work, is one of the most $%^&@#$ feeling ever. I was feeling like one of my limb is being amputated.
Jailbreak your phone and install Zephyr, this will help in reducing the dependency on the Home button.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:56   #4857
Team-BHP Support

Is there a way to add attachments to email using the iPhone's email interface?
Old 28th August 2012, 12:01   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I tried attaching pictures by copying them from the Camera Roll and then pasting them in the mail. Didn't see any option for 'add attachment'.
Old 28th August 2012, 12:07   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I tried attaching pictures by copying them from the Camera Roll and then pasting them in the mail. Didn't see any option for 'add attachment'.
Adding attachments is coming up in iOS 6 this september.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Try recalibrate your Home Button. search on Google you'll get multiple suggestions.

Try this:
How To Recalibrate iPhone Home Button To Make It More Responsive | Redmond Pie
Worked for me. Thanks.
Old 28th August 2012, 12:12   #4860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Thank you! Yes, I tried that and it works well (even to select multiple pictures as attachment). Trouble is, if I am replying to an email and wanted to attach something, there is no option available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Adding attachments is coming up in iOS 6 this september.
Thanks for the update. Not very far indeed

Most Viewed