Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 20:14   #4951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu

Installed iOS 6 and it indeed is a big step backward. Hardly gives decent searches and no directions.

Open maps in safari and it will give you app shortcut which will resolve the issue to a great extend. Even routing also and surprisingly its showing traffic in some routes too
Which is why im not gonna install iOS6 this time. Im happy with the way things are currently. Probably later updates will smooth out some of the niggles. Also is it possible for you to downgrade the OS? Or are you stuck with it for now. How is the phone performing with the update? Battery usage stats and any other performance issues?

Btw isnt the Maps app that came by default on the phone based on google maps? I always thought that was the case.
Old 14th September 2012, 21:05   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Ok, we know that the Maps is a big disappointment, but what about the rest if the iOS 6? Is it worth upgrading? If I do upgrade and don't find it to my liking, can I revert to 5.1.1?
Old 14th September 2012, 21:23   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec

Hey Thanks!

I have tried it everywhere - in the car, outside under open sky, with/without the case, every damn thing - None Worked !!

I wanted to buy sygic, but felt buying a proper gps unit altogether would be beneficial instead of it, hence opted against. Will try and work it out.
I hope location settings are active for navfree, if not then do activate it from settings.
Old 14th September 2012, 22:07   #4954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec

Hey Thanks!

I have tried it everywhere - in the car, outside under open sky, with/without the case, every damn thing - None Worked !!

I wanted to buy sygic, but felt buying a proper gps unit altogether would be beneficial instead of it, hence opted against. Will try and work it out.
Have you tried deleting and reinstalling? I had problems with Waze once and reinstalling worked.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:20   #4955
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You cant, because Google maps is not available for iOS6. Google has not announced any plans to make it available.

Even if Google wants to, Apple does not allow "competing" products in App Store.
If Google does release a iOS Gmaps app and Apple rejects it saying its a "Competing" product, it would certainly trigger an "Anti Trust" Law suit.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:25   #4956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
Ok, we know that the Maps is a big disappointment, but what about the rest if the iOS 6? Is it worth upgrading? If I do upgrade and don't find it to my liking, can I revert to 5.1.1?
So far as I can figure out. Apple is still signing 5.1.1,no?
Read up, there's something on mac forums.
Old 15th September 2012, 00:02   #4957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Which is why im not gonna install iOS6 this time. Im happy with the way things are currently. Probably later updates will smooth out some of the niggles. Also is it possible for you to downgrade the OS? Or are you stuck with it for now. How is the phone performing with the update? Battery usage stats and any other performance issues?

Btw isnt the Maps app that came by default on the phone based on google maps? I always thought that was the case.
Anyway it does not make sense upgrading for people who rely hugely on Jailbreak and their apps. Me for example, I am going to give iOS6 a miss both on my iPhone 4 and iPad 3 and I am sure untethered Jailbreak from Jailbreak community will be successful only on subsequent versions of iOS 6 (like iOS 6.0.1, 6.0.2 etc.)

This will not only take care of smoothing out some niggles as you mentioned above but also keep we jailbreak lovers happy
Old 15th September 2012, 17:35   #4958
BHPian

I don't see not to upgrade. I don't use maps anyway. Maybe that's just me.

Has anyone read this article?

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/no-nfc...idGxQ.facebook
Old 15th September 2012, 21:06   #4959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
If Google does release a iOS Gmaps app and Apple rejects it saying its a "Competing" product, it would certainly trigger an "Anti Trust" Law suit.
Apple kept Google Voice out of app store for 1.5 years. App was allowed only after FCC intervened.

http://www.onsip.com/blog/2010/11/17...tly-underbaked
Old 16th September 2012, 18:08   #4960
Distinguished - BHPian

Nano SIMs from Vodafone and Airtel

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/iphone...ms-455221.html

Apple is looking to launch the IP5 around Diwali 2012. Looks like VF and Airtel are also getting ready for the IP5 in India and have placed orders for nano SIMs.

VF is my operator so the biggest issue I'd have if I ever buy an IP5 is solved. All I need to do is exchange my micro SIM for the nano version.

I do not expect any pricing changes - a 64GB phone will still retail for about Rs 57-59K. Price in S'pore is S$ 1238 = INR 55,102 at today's exchange rate, close to last years IP4s price of INR 57,500 for the 64GB. As usual an IP charges a hefty premium over the current Android king the SGS3.

http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/hom...iphone/iphone5
Old 16th September 2012, 18:10   #4961
BHPian

Lightning to 30 pin connector is not free. Di, if people have iPhone 5 and any other iDevice, they should carry separate cables :-(

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...dapter-for-you
Old 16th September 2012, 18:12   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Apple is looking to launch the IP5 around Diwali 2012. Looks like VF and Airtel are also getting ready for the IP5 in India and have placed orders for nano SIMs.
Apple wants to take control.

http://m.bgr.in/news/exclusive-airce...-over-control/
Old 16th September 2012, 18:24   #4963
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't really see Apple taking control leading to a reduction in prices as the article claims. Apple has always had a 'take it or leave it' and 'not for the masses' outlook.

And it is USD 30 for that lightening to 30 pin adaptor! Why couldn't they have used a micro USB connector like other phones! It is small and discrete and universally accepted. Just another way for Apple to dictate what they believe is the cutting edge.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th September 2012 at 18:26.
Old 17th September 2012, 00:57   #4964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Just another way for Apple to dictate what they believe is the cutting edge.
Not only that but it's a way to make money as well. They come up with such proprietary connectors and then they charge royalties from accessory makers to provide support for their connectors. The accessory makers can't ignore Apple devices (at least in the US) as it's a huge market to give a miss.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:20   #4965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
IIRC, iPhone 4 also didn't have a 8GB version until iP4S was launched.

where did you get iOS 6 from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Search for iOS 6 GM, once you download in 93x MB file, you can update or restore the phone. The link above is for beta and you dont need to follow all those steps for GM (Gold Master) version. Just a normal manual upgrade/restore process Or wait till 19th.

Most Viewed