Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 15:45   #5011
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post

Meanwhile this is interesting:

iPhone 5 benchmarks have appeared in Geekbench.
It reveals a dual-core, 1GHz CPU with 1GB RAM.
The really interesting bit is this: it handily beats the quad-core, 2GB RAM Samsung S3. In fact, it beats every Android phone and tablet out there. Goes to show that good design and engineering can trump technical specs every time.
Any link to support this claim , As per Geekbench Galaxy S3 is still 25% faster then iPhone 5.
iPhone 5 scores 1601 and Galaxy SIII is 2016.

However benchmarks are just numbers with very little relevence to end usage but just to clear up this claim.
And good thing is that while average score shows just the difference of 25% in case of multicore operations the difference widens a lot with obvious advantage of 4 cores.

Android is always full multitasking so it is likely to have more parallel operations where iOS 6 by design limits multitasking so it may not have much use of 4 cores.

Here are the links from Geekbench score for iPhone 5
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1030202

And Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5 comparison

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekb...046549/1030202

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
The Iphone 5 performance gains are notable and as per anandtech experts,
Lets wait and see how the speculations evolve from bench mark test it looks they have added L1 and L2 Cache and arch is ARMv7

BTW contrary to what Anandtech link states both Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A15 are Armv7 architecture.
And Cortex-A15 is not intended for servers one of the stated usecase for A-15 is mobile computing. Probably Anandtech had ARMv8 64 bit arch. in mind while writing that bit.

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th September 2012 at 15:54.
Old 18th September 2012, 17:43   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It is indeed a workaround...
Then it's a different definition of workaround than the standard dictionary one.

Quote:
Anyway I really don't understand what is the point here...
You tell me. You suggested Apple was exploiting some sort of loophole and linked to the EU site. I checked the MoU and found that offering an adapter is officially sanctioned in the text.

Quote:
Here is a link for impact of the lightning adapter on movement to BT for healthcare segment.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Health-Care...etooth-192179/
Isn't that article about "potential" impact? In fact, it quotes some expert who says the impact may be minimal. Either way, it's purely conjecture at the moment.

Quote:
Any link to support this claim?
I read it here: http://news.yahoo.com/early-iphone-5...151029162.html

Listen, I don't really want to geek out on this. Spending so much time attacking or defending a phone is kind of silly at the end of the day. If you feel an iPhone doesn't rock your boat, that's cool; go ahead and get a phone you're happy with

Peace.

---

Changing the topic:

You know what I'm really disappointed with in the Keynote? The fact that the iPod Nano has moved away from the wristwatch path. I thought it would evolve into something that would be even more wearable, add more clock faces and perhaps, have come sort of connectivity between an iPhone and itself so it could share caller info or messages, etc. But they seem to have scotched that path totally.
Then again, they might come up with a separate product for it. I remember some rumour about curved glass. Could an iWatch be in the offing? I would love one.
Old 18th September 2012, 17:51   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then it's a different definition of workaround than the standard dictionary one.
Yes indeed it is different then dictionary one , In any compliance companies lobby really hard to save business interests and add these workarounds as CRs.
Sometimes they are added to keep the specification moving some agreement is better than no agreement and stalling the work. Also it depends on how much power you have at the moment.
Most of the time decision is based on how powerful you are , Latest example was nano SIM war between Nokia and Apple in April 2012 and ETSI finally accepted Apple proposal though Nokia and Motorola were dead against it. Design wise push-pull proposal of Nokia ( Similar to MicroSD) is better then tray based design from Apple
(similar to what Nokia used in SIMs 10 years back)

I worked in an Industry consortium for 4 years and then moved on as it became too boring workwise.
Good part was going to exotic meeting locations but such meetings are extreamly slow , political and boring.

Quote:
Isn't that article about "potential" impact? In fact, it quotes some expert who says the impact may be minimal. Either way, it's purely conjecture at the moment.
Yes the whole discussion is about potential as product is not out yet

Quote:
Listen, I don't really want to geek out on this. Spending so much time attacking or defending a phone is kind of silly at the end of the day. If you feel an iPhone doesn't rock your boat, that's cool; go ahead and get a phone you're happy with .
If you don't enjoy then why exctly you provide your opinion and indulge on such topics ?

You came up with some claim from some site that A6 with 2 cores is twice as fast as a quad core S3 at lower clock speed so I provided those numbers from geekbench , How it amounts to attack or defence ?

FYI discussion about the potential impact pros and cons is neither attack nor support. Someone asked here how exactly a connector change is fleecing and I provided explanation.
As for me I have no intention to either buy S3 or iPhone or any other phone in near future.

Last edited by amitk26 : 18th September 2012 at 18:00.
Old 18th September 2012, 20:06   #5014
BHPian

Anybody seen this yet? Sounds pretty cool, although certainly unaffordable:

Apple’s Jonathan Ive to Design a Single Uber-Limited Edition Leica M
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/18/...ition-leica-m/

I hope the connectors are cheap :-)

Last edited by Orko : 18th September 2012 at 20:12. Reason: Added a line.
Old 18th September 2012, 21:10   #5015
BHPian

So many people are getting ready for iPhone 5 - http://www.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-575...ade-in-offers/
Old 18th September 2012, 21:33   #5016
BHPian

iOS 6 releasing tomorrow 19 Sept 2012 10:30 PM India time. Looking forward for it, but will neither update my iPhone 4 nor iPad 3 immediately. I am the one who hugely rely on Jailbreak and their apps & tweaks without which i feel handicapped. We cant expect untethered Jailbreak for iOS 6 anytime soon. So will patiently wait for Jailbreak release and then update (Hope Dev team works fast around releasing Jailbreak for iOS 6)
Old 18th September 2012, 21:33   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For existing devices it is just pushing down as 30$ adapter but that is not what probably Anuj called fleecing.

See it works like this a good quality micro USB cable can be at the most 2$ in open market so a consumer is unlikey to spend 38$ on a OEM cable ( there are still some people who buy overpriced OEM micro USB cable but let's keep them aside ).

They were fleecing but stopped after EU nudge in 2011 ( Mandated from 2nd Feb 2012) Apple saw the nudge and continued fleecing with a small workaround to fit in compliance.

US was a late bloomer in Mobile world as for whole of 90s the networks were fragmented in AMPS , DAMPS , CDMA etc they came up with PTCRB type certification as late as 1997 , Till today you have a problem that handsets on one major network don't work on another.
That's some good piece of information, thanks for sharing

Like I said Nokia was doing it for so long yet nobody complained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I doubt. There are many docks on which if you put adapter on IPhone, you may risk to damage your $1000 IPhone. Adapters cannot guarantee stability. Many of them have to provide one more docks for new IPhone to work.

Correct but selling it for $30 which probably others can make and sell for $2 - $5. Who is earning rest for such trivial device?
Ok I will try last time lest people brand me an Apple Fan boy which I am not Just FYI I have an android phone & plan to upgrade to another Android phone in the next few months.

First its not a $1000 phone, Apple's OEM adapters guarantee stability unless the device itself has design constraints as I pointed out earlier.

I will tell you what I feel is fleecing, its something which Nokia & Samsung has done for years & yet nobody complained, launching a Model at high price & then reducing it after first few months, isn't that fleecing the early adopters/buyers? Specially given that most devices have some issues in their initial batches which get ironed out in subsequent releases/pieces.

See what Apple has is a successful business model which works for everyone & makes a lot of money for everyone involved(except the buyer ofcourse but he too benefits from the value that he gets).

If Samsung could do it get away with it they would have done it as well.

I will illustrate one more example, I had bought an HDMI adapter for my iPad, I used it & didn't find it much worthy so I returned it, simple.

I rest my case.
Old 19th September 2012, 00:11   #5018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
That's some good piece of information, thanks for sharing

Like I said Nokia was doing it for so long yet nobody complained.
Someone somewhere did complain IMHO so this whole idea of enforcing a common connector came up in EU.

To be honest Nokia just changed 3 or 4 times over period of 20 years and that was just power adapter.
In pre-litigation era mobile companies were interested in pushing their patents in standards and they were termed as essential patents.
So rather then building an ecosystem of propriety peripherals companies worked towards creating standards example BT ( Erricson) , SPDIF ( Sony and Phillips) USB (Intel, Microsoft, IBM etc.). Patents were mostly used for patent stacking and licencing.

Even if someone else has fleeced in past fleecing in present is still fleecing.
While from business model point of view it worked for Apple but praising it as a consumer would be typical iSheep behaviour.

Quote:

First its not a $1000 phone, Apple's OEM adapters guarantee stability unless the device itself has design constraints as I pointed out earlier.
In Open Market like India it will be close to 1000$

Quote:
launching a Model at high price & then reducing it after first few months, isn't that fleecing the early adopters/buyers? Specially given that most devices have some issues in their initial batches which get ironed out in subsequent releases/pieces.
Moors law applies to all devices so price drop of electronics is natural.
Intel / AMD and Laptop makers reduce prices every quarter so this does not look odd.

Some 20 Million Galaxy S3s were sold before price dropv so some of the R&D and Plant & Machinery costs would have been recovered.
Historically phones used to touch this number over couple of years.

In fact Apple does not reduce price over life cycle is unnatural and Kudos to Apple for generating such a fan following.

See couple of posts back even websites started claiming iPhone 5 is twice as fast as S3 and everyone started reproducing without cross verification
Old 19th September 2012, 00:29   #5019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact Apple does not reduce price over life cycle is unnatural and Kudos to Apple for generating such a fan following.

See couple of posts back even websites started claiming iPhone 5 is twice as fast as S3 and everyone started reproducing without cross verification
Yeah I know, check this Video posted by Samurai, Its funny & True, the Hype that Apple manages to generate is simply amazing.

They are very good at generating fan following for their products, some of which are genuine & some are not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This pretty much sums it up!

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4
Old 19th September 2012, 09:30   #5020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well do not compare with Contract based US phones from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. Compare it with country where there is no contract available. In India it will be $1000 or more. Check price at any of the Airport shops while in transit.

Quote:
I will tell you what I feel is fleecing, its something which Nokia & Samsung has done for years & yet nobody complained, launching a Model at high price & then reducing it after first few months, isn't that fleecing the early adopters/buyers? Specially given that most devices have some issues in their initial batches which get ironed out in subsequent releases/pieces.
Isn't it is practice with all CE devices whether it is TV, Bluray player, DVD Player, HT etc. I remember initially Bluray player was selling for Rs. 40,000 in India. Now it is available for Rs. 5000.

Once, it goes into volume naturally manufacturers want to pass the benefit to consumers. But in case of Apple, it never. It launches product with exorbitant price and keep it until its lifecycle.
Old 19th September 2012, 09:45   #5021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra
Well do not compare with Contract based US phones from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. Compare it with country where there is no contract available. In India it will be $1000 or more. Check price at any of the Airport shops while in transit..
1000 $ = 55000 INR, you mean to say that the iphone 5 will cost 55000 INR or did you just do the math wrong?

Also as far as passing the benefit is concerned, here is an example. iPhone 3GS launched for some 40000 rupees and then was repriced at 20000 rupees after 1.5 yrs. Recently, aircel was offering at 9999 (+3000 for data plan). So you see the price drop is around 70-75%. Even after 3.5 yrs since its launch, you are getting iOS 6 in the 3GS with a few features omitted. Do i See any other company doing it? NO. Oh and btw everybody gets iOS 6 on launch day. I rest my case.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:04   #5022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
1000 $ = 55000 INR, you mean to say that the iphone 5 will cost 55000 INR or did you just do the math wrong?
Just wait for launch in India and then we will talk again. It will be few 1000 Rs here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Also as far as passing the benefit is concerned, here is an example. iPhone 3GS launched for some 40000 rupees and then was repriced at 20000 rupees after 1.5 yrs. Recently, aircel was offering at 9999 (+3000 for data plan). So you see the price drop is around 70-75%. Even after 3.5 yrs since its launch, you are getting iOS 6 in the 3GS with a few features omitted. Do i See any other company doing it? NO. Oh and btw everybody gets iOS 6 on launch day. I rest my case.
I said lifecycle. It means once new product is launched its price is same. After new product is launched then lifecycle of old device is at the end.

What you are talking is obsolete device. Which they are still selling for Rs. 10K.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:06   #5023
BHPian

It doesn't take a genius.

The iPhone Thread-image1448229182.jpg
Old 19th September 2012, 11:34   #5024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Just wait for launch in India and then we will talk again. It will be few 1000 Rs here and there.
I said lifecycle. It means once new product is launched its price is same. After new product is launched then lifecycle of old device is at the end.
Lifecycle of older devices does not end after the launch of new devices. I have a two year old iPhone 4 that is still so very much capable of running the latest OS, apps and games. The manufacturer did not abandon its customers after two years.

Android phone manufacturers balk at providing OS updates fearing lower sales of their newer devices. Is there an official OS update for Samsung Galaxy S, after Gingerbread?

Quote:
What you are talking is obsolete device. Which they are still selling for Rs. 10K.
Prices of smartphones (unlike feature phones) have never went down to a theoretically low value. The 2 year old Galaxy S (with the buggy Froyo) is still officially priced at 19.5k in retail. I used to own a Nokia N82 before the iPhone. Last I checked, it was still priced at some 11k!! Think about the Nokia Communicators. Have they ever been dirt cheap?
Old 19th September 2012, 11:53   #5025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
It doesn't take a genius.
Hi Kiran,

The snapshot attached by you is blur. Can you please repost the same in higher resolution or provide the source of this image?

Cheers!
Irish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks