Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 01:38   #5056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko
Engadget have posted their review:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/a...hone-5-review/

The final 3 lines should provide the gist of it:
"This is without a doubt the best iPhone yet. This is a hallmark of design. This is the one you've been waiting for."

I wonder how much they got paid.
Well they just said it is the best iPhone yet. Not that its the best phone ever.

I am amused why many people hate iPhone and Apple just because its costly. Why complain saying they are fleecing?. Let the people who can afford use it.

Let us not forget that Android wouldnt have been there if iPhone was never launched. Apple redefined, they don't invent, but they know to do it right and ultimately its benificial to all.

Else we would have been stuck with winMobile 6.5 and symbian. Apple demonstrated that its not about hardware performance figures but how efficient a software can be to extract the most out of the hardware. Even when first iPhone was launched, it was not the most powerful phone in market.

Apple has its limitations and a lot of flaws but its the only big technology company which has an indisputable fan following among shareholders and consumers alike.

Google is almost there and it has already started being assertive to safeguard its interests in Android. Nexus range is already gaining Apple like cult following and will become a major chunck of android device sales as Google starts investing in Nexus brand. We are already seeing the legacy manufacturers signing up for alternate options like the firefox backed os.

IPhone has hundreds of short comings but it will continue to sell. That is good, for we will continue to get even better hardware from the opposite camp and Google will keep dishing out even better desserts than jelly bean

(hope this one doesn't have slang language. I think I have been singled out on the above as I see it is everywhere. Maybe because I don't have many posts to my credit though I am a member since the very beginning. Or maybe because I am a bit sympathetic to Apple though I don't use an iPhone)
Old 20th September 2012, 01:48   #5057
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
anybody try the Maps yet? how different is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Yeah. Can't find directions to any location, will explore more in the morning. 3D looks interesting, lots to play around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Typing from IOS 6 . Looks like they have messed up the maps, I am not able to find direction to anywhere now.

-Ijeet
It was posted a few pages ago that Turn By Turn for India wont work check this Link
Old 20th September 2012, 02:30   #5058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet
Typing from IOS 6 . Looks like they have messed up the maps, I am not able to find direction to anywhere now. Apartfro that team-bhp looks more colorful. There is one more mail folder by name VIP. I am not able to find any other difference. Looks like this is more relevant to 4S users or iPhone 5 users with all those changes to siri etc , as a 4 user Iam not finding much of a difference.

-Ijeet
Did the earlier app (one powered by google maps) have turn by turn directions?
Old 20th September 2012, 07:21   #5059
BHPian

Quote:
anybody try the Maps yet? how different is it?

still downloading for the two iP's in the house; the wait is killing me
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A friend is going to USA tomorrow and coming back in a fortnight. Wants to know if he can get the Iphone5 from there and if it would work in India? Can it be unlocked and made to work in India or is it too early for him to take that risk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
As per CBC news, the new maps are practically useless for Toronto, Canada (among other countries). 3D-Flyover seems to score better.

And yes the earlier Google maps did have turn-by-turn directions (non-voice).

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/19/missin...rd-party-apps/

There are indeed 2 versions of GSM iPhone 5: A1428 & A1429. As rightly pointed out, the difference is in the LTE bands. One of them is for North American bands while the second is for Asia. Though seems India doesn't count under Asia since none of the providers in India has or are planning to have an LTE on the mentioned bands.

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/specs.html

Last edited by vinjosep : 20th September 2012 at 07:23.
Old 20th September 2012, 07:21   #5060
BHPian

Any tips or tricks for extending battery life on iPhone4S ? Lasts less than 24 hrs :(
Old 20th September 2012, 08:16   #5061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron

Yes no voice was there but turn by turn navigation was there.

-Ijeet

Last edited by ijeet : 20th September 2012 at 08:19.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:03   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Is 3D maps available for 4S and upwards only? I can rotate the map on my 4, but don't see any 3D controls :(

Btw, here's the App Store update in progress:
The iPhone Thread-image505524511.jpg

Another thing, in Passbook, when I click App Store, it opens App Store and says cannot connect to iTunes. Is it not for India?
The iPhone Thread-image4229018155.jpg
The iPhone Thread-image1126337073.jpg
Old 20th September 2012, 09:39   #5063
BHPian

Maps is terrible. Pretty but practically useless. A search for UB City turned up results in Zurich.

On the other hand, I'm impressed with the speed. Everything seems faster, especially iMessage.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:42   #5064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
Maps is terrible. Pretty but practically useless. A search for UB City turned up results in Zurich.
yep, right now its coming up with No routes found. does this have a learning feature, like Waze?

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm impressed with the speed. Everything seems faster, especially iMessage.
i noticed it too. browsing and more importantly, Team-BHP app is faster than before

Last edited by IronH4WK : 20th September 2012 at 09:45.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:35   #5065
BHPian

Quote:
Is 3D maps available for 4S and upwards only? I can rotate the map on my 4, but don't see any 3D controls :(
No. 4S,5, ipad2 and 3 only. Same thing goes for Siri, 4S, 5 and iPad3.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:44   #5066
BHPian

Quote:

A new version of the OS and it works faster than the earlier one, it is really impressive. I had noticed the sluggish responses with iOS 5 and 5.1.1. iOS 6 is a pleasant surprise.

As usual, my upgrade was smooth; what impressed me about the upgrade was that the new version retained even my messages (SMS and iMessages), Safari tabs as well as data in all other apps (this was the case with earlier upgrades as well). I'm not sure if any other OS upgrade is as seamless as this (certainly not PC, don't know about other smartphones).

I checked out the Panorama feature of camera. It is cool , easier to use than other panorama apps and picture quality is very good. Call answering options are really cool, not checked the Do Not Disturb option yet.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:58   #5067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran
A new version of the OS and it works faster than the earlier one, it is really impressive.
That's exactly what I thought. 5 was faster than 4, and now 6 is faster than 5. These little delights are what makes the iPhone the best in the world.

There's another review up, this time at Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...phone-5-review

Verdict: "Ahead of the competition again."

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th September 2012 at 21:01. Reason: Removed Sarcastic line, thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 11:37   #5068
BHPian

Here's a very insightful take on the NFC issue:
http://www.appleoutsider.com/2012/09/18/utility/

Gist:
"It’s no coincidence that the “Tech Specs” link atop apple.com/iphone is dead last. Apple’s best marketing has always been about what a product does, not what it has. Forget MHz and GB and mAh — how much faster does it launch apps? Play games? Snap pictures? Load web pages? How many hours of video and talk time? These are things that anyone can not only understand, but appreciate.
Behold the NFC issue. What can people do with it today? All we hear is what they should be able to do with it someday. Search the web for “near field communication” — the 2010 articles read exactly like the 2012 articles. And boy are they wordy."

This is exactly like someone here criticizing the first iPhone for not having 3G in 2007. This, in spite of 3G not being introduced in India till December 2008
Old 20th September 2012, 13:05   #5069
Team-BHP Support

Please make sure that your iTunes is updated to the latest version (inclusive of customary restart), before you start on the iOS6 update. My iTunes got updated, but I did not restart the laptop, and started on the Phone update. It stopped in between, and after restarting I had to revert back to factory settings. Luckily iTunes had already completed the backup just before the interruption. So except for time, nothing much is lost (just that my Whatsapp chats got cleaned up)
Old 20th September 2012, 13:37   #5070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Any tips or tricks for extending battery life on iPhone4S ? Lasts less than 24 hrs :(
You could try switching off 3G and WiFi when you don't need them.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th September 2012 at 21:03. Reason: Please stay on Topic & keep your sarcasm off this board, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks