Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 14:18   #5071
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

My 3 G(enerations old) S(iriless) phone got updated to iOS 6.0 successfully. Performed a smoke test of all in-built apps and things are looking good. I dont know if its just me or is it real, but I feel that the icons have changed a bit in look and feel.

Picture library now has lots of options. Weather and Stocks app have changed a bit in appearance too. Best part is the App Updates. Thanks to iOS 6, you no longer have to login to update the apps. And the interface also looks much better now. Music app looks different and better IMO.

I haven't done anything to test the speed, but anyways 3GS cannot take much advantage of iOS 6 in real terms. Its mostly look and feel changes for 3GS.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 20th September 2012 at 14:29.
Old 20th September 2012, 17:38   #5072
BHPian

Sir Jonathan's team is recognized as the best brand and the best design studio of the last 50 years - http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/19/...rd-acceptance/
Old 20th September 2012, 18:44   #5073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
A friend is going to USA tomorrow and coming back in a fortnight. Wants to know if he can get the Iphone5 from there and if it would work in India? Can it be unlocked and made to work in India or is it too early for him to take that risk?
Do not buy from US, this time. Even if you get it you wont be able to enjoy the 4G speed. The LTE band for India (Airtel Only) is different than US which is different from EU and Singapore. If you wish to limit yourself to 3G then please go ahead and get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

People: I got iOS 6 on iPad and it has many surprises, I am sure the iPhone owners will love it. It makes their device even more productive. I lament Google Maps that gone, navigation is not great for Indian cities. US flyover worked great, but here it sucks. Negative, Apple made me feel bad when Siri is missing for older versions and now 3G FaceTime is missing as well (technically I know it would have been bad name for Apple on pathetic speeds, still Apple let thy knowledgable followers feel happy).

Rest a lot of improvements. Document attachment in mails still missing, whats comes in is the photo/video attachment. Grrr...

Enjoy! Cheers!

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 20th September 2012 at 18:55.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:04   #5074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I lament Google Maps that gone, navigation is not great for Indian cities. US flyover worked great, but here it sucks.

Enjoy! Cheers!
The Maps app is just not working here.

I am not getting "Direction To" and "Directions from Here" results at all. The app is able to find locations, but no directions. I guess the Apple DB is not updated with other countries' data, yet.

Another thing:
When I tried to enter Facebook credentials in the Settings, I got a message "You can not login to Facebook from iPhone, since you have opted out of Facebook Platform". What in the world is this?

Lastly, would the Passbook app every work for India? I dont the scanner can recognize stuff in India.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:07   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

I am not getting "Direction To" and "Directions from Here" results at all. The app is able to find locations, but no directions. I guess the Apple DB is not updated with other countries' data, yet.

Another thing:
When I tried to enter Facebook credentials in the Settings, I got a message "You can not login to Facebook from iPhone, since you have opted out of Facebook Platform". What in the world is this?

Lastly, would the Passbook app every work for India? I dont the scanner can recognize stuff in India.
Maps don't have navigation in India. I don't know about Facebook, are you able to activate your twitter account? And Passbook, again, is not for India. We can, wishful thinking, get Maps in early 2013.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:25   #5076
BHPian

Quote:

Same here! I can't even navigate between landmarks mentioned on the map itself!

Also, any real world uses for the Passbook app would take quite a long time to even start arriving on Indian shores!
Old 20th September 2012, 19:44   #5077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute

Another thing:

All true. Maps are not working. On iPad currently iCloud, Facebook, Twitter and some more services are dimmed out. I hope they are working on it
Passbook wont work in India, right now.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:11   #5078
Senior - BHPian

Updated Wifey's Iphone 4 & my iPad 2. Overall the interface with new icons looks nice.

The update was much easier than from 4 to 5 where I had to restore all Apps from my iTunes account, with iCloud all my apps were right there after the upgrade.

Maps look refreshing after years of looking at Google Maps. The Detail & easy of zooming is better than the previous maps.

One Alert for iPad users, you tube has been removed & the app available in app store is for iPhone only so if you use you tube often then wait till there is an iPad app.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th September 2012 at 21:14.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:37   #5079
BHPian

See this http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

Hopefully, Apple slowly expands this list to add India to other features as well
Old 20th September 2012, 21:47   #5080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Airlines QR code and back-end like Amadeus are same so for at-least storing boarding pass and pulling based on time and GPS should work fine.

Similarly VISA / MASTER back-end is same but due to some RBI guidelines for banking operations by non-banking companies they may not be able to provide few services.

Current RBI guidelines state that Mobile wallet service can be used only for talk-time and digital goods

ngpay allegedly removed some services from mobile app due to this so Apple may not be able to provide wallet feature till RBI guideline remains.

One question to people who might have used passbook , does it ask for banking credentials like 'expense cloud' and link directly to bank account ?i

Till now I am uncomfortable in trying expense cloud , Intuit etc due to this.
Expense cloud otherwise has all the features and it can work on all your devices.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:57   #5081
BHPian

The dhobi list copied on update, for those don't feel like clicking links

This update contains over 200 new features, including the following:

Maps
Apple designed vector based maps
Turn-by-turn navigation with spoken directions on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (2nd and 3rd generation)
Real-time traffic information
Flyover for photo-realistic, interactive 3D views of major metro areas on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation)
Local search results with Yelp photos, ratings, reviews, and available deals
Siri integration for requesting directions and finding places along a route

Siri improvements
Sports: scores, player stats, game schedules, team rosters, and league standings for baseball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey
Movies: trailers, showtimes, reviews and facts
Restaurants: reservations, reviews, photos and information
Send a Tweet
Post on Facebook
App launch
Eyes Free in supported automobiles
Local search available in Siri supported countries (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
Additional country and language support for Canada (English and Canadian French), China (Mandarin), Hong Kong (Cantonese), Italy (Italian), Korea (Korean), Mexico (Spanish), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (Italian, French, German), Taiwan (Mandarin), US (Spanish)
Supported on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd generation) and iPod touch (5th generation)

Facebook integration
Single sign-on from Settings
Post from Photos, Safari, Maps, App Store, iTunes, Game Center, Notification Center and Siri
Add location and choose audience for any post
View up-to-date Facebook profile photos and contact information in Contacts
View Facebook events and birthdays in Calendar
Like content and see your friends' Likes in App Store and iTunes Store

Shared Photo Streams
Share selected photos with the people you choose
Friends can view shared photos in Photos app, iPhoto and Apple TV
Friends can like and make comments on individual photos

Passbook
One place for boarding passes, store cards, movie tickets and other passes
Barcode display for boarding flights, buying coffee, getting into movies and other actions
Passes displayed on Lock Screen based on time or location
Passes can be automatically updated
Supported on iPhone and iPod touch

FaceTime improvements
FaceTime over cellular support for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation)
Receive FaceTime calls, sent to your iPhone number, on your iPad and iPod touch

Phone improvements
Do Not Disturb to suppress incoming calls and notifications
'Reply with message' option when declining a call
'Remind me later' option based on time or location when declining a call

Mail improvements
VIP mailbox to quickly access mail from important people
Flagged email mailbox
Insert photos and videos when composing email
Open password protected Office docs
Pull down to refresh mailboxes
Per account signatures

Safari improvements
iCloud tabs to see open pages on all your devices
Offline Reading List
Photo upload support
Full screen landscape view on iPhone and iPod touch
Smart app banners
JavaScript performance improvements

App Store and iTunes Store improvements
Updated store design
iTunes Preview history
Complete my season
Complete my album

Game Center improvements
Challenge friends to beat high scores and achievements
Post high-scores and achievements to Facebook and Twitter
Friend recommendations based on your Facebook friends

Accessibility improvements
Guided Access to limit device to one app or restrict touch input on certain areas of the screen
VoiceOver integration with Maps, AssistiveTouch and Zoom
Support for Made for iPhone Hearing Aids for iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S

Improved privacy controls for Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Photos and data shared over Bluetooth
Reminders can be reordered in the Reminders app
Custom vibrations for alerts on iPhone
Clock app for iPad
Clock alarm with song
Search all fields in Contacts
Automatic movie mode for improved video sound quality
Definitions of a selected word for Chinese, French, German and Spanish
New keyboard layouts for French, German, Turkish, Catalan, Arabic and Icelandic
Keyboard shortcuts shared across devices via iCloud
Bluetooth MAP support
Global network proxy for HTTP
Features for China
Baidu web search
Sina Weibo integration
Share videos to Tudou
Share videos to Youku
Improved text input for handwriting and Pinyin

Bug fixes

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Please visit this website for more details:
http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th September 2012 at 23:23. Reason: Cleared "&bull" :)
Old 20th September 2012, 22:41   #5082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
The dhobi list copied on update, for those who don't feel like clicking links
That list is repeatedly punctuated by "&bull"... I wonder if that's Freudian somehow

---

So what is everyone doing for Maps? It's pretty much unusable the way it is, so I tried Google Maps through Safari but found that to be an inelegant solution. My option at the moment is Waze which has a good search but is weak on navigation.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:00   #5083
BHPian

Oh! Had taken great pains to clean it up after the copy, paste. Not showing on my screen.
Anyway, till all the features are up and running, it is a lot of &bull.

I found that Waze eats battery life because of GPS being on all through the journey.
Thinking of getting a MMI Road Pilot or Garmin equivalent for the car.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:11   #5084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
So what is everyone doing for Maps? It's pretty much unusable the way it is, so I tried Google Maps through Safari but found that to be an inelegant solution. My option at the moment is Waze which has a good search but is weak on navigation.
There are some navigation app available in the Appstore. I don't know if they work properly or not, but you could have a look at them.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:14   #5085
BHPian

iOS 6 is made UI evenmore neat and eyecatching. Enjoying the update very much.
I really like the integration of Photostream and Safari with messages, email, fb, twitter etc. I wish both had one such integration to TBHP app as well. It would be easy to provide photos and links . With these things, for guys like me who mostly use laptop only for internet, Ipad would make the laptop redundant. Only deterrent is the cost.
Maps is bad. I want Google map, atleast as another app particularly, since on the android, google has introduced turn by turn navigation including voice for many Indian cities as well.

Aaah, Somebody teach that Siri some Indian English. Even the Android understands our English much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Please make sure that your iTunes is updated to the latest version (inclusive of customary restart), before you start on the iOS6 update. My iTunes got updated, but I did not restart the laptop, and started on the Phone update.
Alternately you could download the software directly on the phone over wifi. Takes time though, nearly 4 hours for me on our BSNL broadband.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks