Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 23:56   #5086
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Downloading the iOS 6 update for the iPhone4. Been a couple of hours and it's in the final stages. Lets see what improvements I feel.
Old 21st September 2012, 00:14   #5087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
One Alert for iPad users, you tube has been removed & the app available in app store is for iPhone only so if you use you tube often then wait till there is an iPad app.
How I wish I'd read this earlier. YouTube is the only app what everyone in my family uses, so my iPad 2 is nearly next to useless now .. I also read there is no way to revert back to 5.1. iOs 6 seems to be more of a downgrade rather than an upgrade for iPad 2, for I dont see any other major improvements. Hope Google releases a YouTube app for the iPad, or its Microsoft Surface for me, whenever it comes.
Old 21st September 2012, 00:27   #5088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc

How I wish I'd read this earlier. YouTube is the only app what everyone in my family uses, so my iPad 2 is nearly next to useless now. I also read there is no way to revert back to 5.1.
For reverting there is a workaround that I'd use whenever an update was laggy. You'd need the original update file and from iTunes select update from file and point to the folder where the file is. That worked for me. But i haven't tried this for iOS 6. It should work if you havent changed your iTunes.
Old 21st September 2012, 00:46   #5089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc

How I wish I'd read this earlier. YouTube is the only app what everyone in my family uses, so my iPad 2 is nearly next to useless now .. I also read there is no way to revert back to 5.1. iOs 6 seems to be more of a downgrade rather than an upgrade for iPad 2, for I dont see any other major improvements. Hope Google releases a YouTube app for the iPad, or its Microsoft Surface for me, whenever it comes.
Go to youtube.com through safari and select add to home screen and you now have youtube on your home screen.
Old 21st September 2012, 01:34   #5090
BHPian

For everyone who wants Google maps for iOS6, until Google does us a favor, take a look at MyMap+.

I am using it currently on iOS5 and its great -- allows multi-waypoint routes with turn-by-turn navigation, importing of all your maps from your Google account, etc.

Their iOS6 version has been submitted to the App store and is expected to be available by end of this month.
Old 21st September 2012, 01:47   #5091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Another thing, in Passbook, when I click App Store, it opens App Store and says cannot connect to iTunes. Is it not for India?
Seems like it is a bug, but apparently, there is a work around :

"In order to make the App Store button in Passbook work, and thus see a list of apps that support it, you need to go into your device's Settings, then select General and Date & Time. From here, turn off Set Automatically and manually set your date a couple of months ahead. Now, open Passbook and the App Store button will work. You can then go back to Settings and re-enable Set Automatically."
Old 21st September 2012, 02:04   #5092
Senior - BHPian

Just found this hilarious comparison of google maps and ios maps.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10013873-1.html
Old 21st September 2012, 08:02   #5093
BHPian

Another good explanation for why the iPhone doesn’t need NFC (yet):

Carey Kolaja for All Things D:
"No retailer will have multiple NFC boxes to take payments from different networks, and the NFC terminals shipping today do little more than just transmit the card number and transaction size. They’re not equipped to automatically accept the complex coupons and offers that make the digital wallet so exciting. On the technology side, carriers are trying one solution, phone manufacturers another, and technology companies yet another. Meanwhile, the consumer is standing at the register thinking “really, how hard is it to pull out my credit card?”

http://allthingsd.com/20120919/the-i...e-nfc-so-what/
Old 21st September 2012, 09:28   #5094
BHPian

People are offering to stand in queue for the friday launch of iphone in front of apple stores for a fee to buy the iphone5 on behalf of others. Saw a few advertisements like this in US craigslist website.
iphone5 is surely a hit. Already 2 million preorders and now this.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:13   #5095
BHPian

Google Maps are coming soon to iOS 6, if techwhack is to be believed - http://techwhack.com/google-maps-app...approval-4765/
Old 21st September 2012, 10:17   #5096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Google Maps are coming soon to iOS 6, if techwhack is to be believed - http://techwhack.com/google-maps-app...approval-4765/

In a word: Nope.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/09/2...sitting-on-it/
Old 21st September 2012, 10:38   #5097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Just found this hilarious comparison of google maps and ios maps.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10013873-1.html
nice one!

specially the Toronto Airport - Your landing at the Toronto Airport is going to be a bit bumpy!
Old 21st September 2012, 10:45   #5098
BHPian

Missing google maps a lot. Not able to use Apple Maps as it doesn't even show major roads in Bangalore. I found no major difference in iOS 6 in iPhone 4 unlike iOS 4 to iOS 5 upgrade.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:57   #5099
Distinguished - BHPian

Ooh, Thank god for this thread. I had just about put my wife's IP for an update last night when i went through the map fracas.
Also saw the pics of the comaprison between different maps. how could they push such a half-baked product to replace a working one?
Old 21st September 2012, 11:12   #5100
BHPian

The iPhone Thread-image1138923952.jpg

The iPhone Thread-image2871523434.jpg

I've been facing a wired problem since I upgraded to iOS 6. The network drops for fraction of a second and comes back. I noticed it immediately after upgrade. But ignored since Airtel has network coverage problem around my place. Now, I'm facing the same problem at my office, Powai. I had never faced network problem around my office earlier. This makes me suspect iOS 6.

Is anybody else facing this problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks