Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 21:15   #5206
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Apple apologizes for Maps fiasco, suggest you try the competition.

Quote:
To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO
Source - http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/
Old 29th September 2012, 00:21   #5207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Apple apologizes for Maps fiasco, suggest you try the competition.
Pffffft. Steve Jobs would have told that you were using the maps app wrong and would have given free GPS devices, just in case .

Meanwhile on Twitter :
Quote:
Apple suggests people use Google or Bing maps instead of their own app. Next, they’ll be pushing Samsung devices.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:03   #5208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra

Many thanks Sn1p3r, Is there any way we can check the band. I mean post unpacking some settings page. .

Apart from missing wifi & exterior blemishes anything else I should look out for?
Hi Arup,
The only identity mark you need to check while purchase is model number.

A new model A1442 is speculated to be currently under process in China, might be CDMA technology handset.

Kindly do not buy otherwise.

I have attached a screen shot that shows Band 40. This band is not out there right now. Will come in phase 3, I gather.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-image1705781469.jpg  

Old 30th September 2012, 06:19   #5209
Team-BHP Support

Speedtest result from my temporary iPhone 5.

The LTE magic:

Name:  336879324.png
Views: 2537
Size:  22.6 KB
Old 30th September 2012, 22:52   #5210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Speedtest result from my temporary iPhone 5.

The LTE magic:

Attachment 993869
Wow !!, now that's a seriously good speed to get on a mobile device.

Guys, i need an advise.
Can this USB car charger ,which i use to charge my Jabra Freeway, be also used to charge an Iphone 3s/4s
The iPhone Thread-img_0099-custom.jpg

Please advise
Old 30th September 2012, 23:42   #5211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury

Wow !!, now that's a seriously good speed to get on a mobile device.

Guys, i need an advise.
Can this USB car charger ,which i use to charge my Jabra Freeway, be also used to charge an Iphone 3s/4s

Please advise
Yes, you can use this.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:38   #5212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
There are 3 versions of the iPhone 5 - GSM model A1428, CDMA model A1429, GSM model A1429. The supported frequencies are listed therein. just keep out an eye for the rumoured aesthetic problems. Thats all. I would also strongly recommend that you take the additional Apple protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Hi Arup,
The only identity mark you need to check while purchase is model number.
A new model A1442 is speculated to be currently under process in China, might be CDMA technology handset. Kindly do not buy otherwise.
Thanks vinjosep & Sn1p3r. As long as 3G & wifi works I'll be more than happy. I've asked my friend to rip open the packaging and check for the aesthetic blemishes. In fact asked him to test it using his sim as well.

Question - Which of the two GSM models A1428 or A1429 should be bought? Do I get a choice?

Question - My friend stays in HK. The phone will be bought in his name. Would they honor a warranty here if I were to present it at an apple center?
Old 1st October 2012, 13:18   #5213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra

Thanks vinjosep & Sn1p3r. As long as 3G & wifi works I'll be more than happy. I've asked my friend to rip open the packaging and check for the aesthetic blemishes. In fact asked him to test it using his sim as well.

Question - Which of the two GSM models A1428 or A1429 should be bought? Do I get a choice?

Question - My friend stays in HK. The phone will be bought in his name. Would they honor a warranty here if I were to present it at an apple center?
You will only be offered A1429 GSM in HK from SmarTone. Go for it, no choice for now. It is possible that Vodafone might come up with this band in India, but I'm not sure.

Apple policy does not allow the warranty honor in a different country, sad but true in India. Enjoy the handset. Cheers!
Old 1st October 2012, 13:21   #5214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Do you get international warranty on iPhone? I doubt if the warranty will be honoured in India, especially if the ownership is in a different name.
Old 1st October 2012, 15:36   #5215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Do you get international warranty on iPhone? I doubt if the warranty will be honoured in India, especially if the ownership is in a different name.
No, you dont get international warranty on iPhone. That said, I have exchanged an iPhone 4S brought in HK in Australia - so I can say that they "may" honor your country specific warranty (But definitely not in India - here they have taken the "may" to "may not") - believe me, I have tried.
Old 1st October 2012, 20:25   #5216
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quick request for answers?

Now that I 5 has landed up, shall I buy an I 4S?
I am not really too fussed about having the latest machine.

Just want points of view from experts here please.
Thank you
SB
Old 1st October 2012, 21:28   #5217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

Thank you
SB
I did a comparison yesterday evening - between the 4s and my friend's new 5 (as a regular user, and not much on the technical details). I did not see any major difference in the features/usability area. For me, the 4s with iOS6 was as good as the 5. My friend was showing off features like the panorama shot and all, which is actually available in the 4s as well (missing in 4).

Of course the 5 looks better with the slim body, and the matt/skate finish in the back.

I am actually looking to take my wife's 4s, and trade in my 4 and get an iPhone 5 for her. She is more smitten by the form factor of the 5
Old 1st October 2012, 22:23   #5218
BHPian

Definitely, missing Steve here. If he could be alive, we might have seems altogether different iphone, not just slimmer version of iphone 4
Old 1st October 2012, 22:34   #5219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Thank you
SB
Unless the price differential between the 4s and 5 is small (highly doubtful) it is not worth the extra money at the moment. You get a bigger screen and lighter phone, but you can't really use the 4g or any of the upgrades practically. Why bother until the infrastructure is in place
Old 1st October 2012, 22:37   #5220
BHPian

Any news on the 4s prices slashing down ?
Or are they still being sold at the same price in Delhi/NCR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks