Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 11:10   #5281
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

I have spoken to a couple of people who have done this for a number of new iphone 5's and they have confirmed that it can be easily done. No issues whatsoever. The thickness part which was discussed earlier, at the launch of the Iphone 5 has proved to be not a problem.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:26   #5282
Senior - BHPian

even if it's easily done, it will void your iPhone warranty if they figure out that the problem caused is because you've been using a cut SIM as opposed to a regular micro/nano SIM in your iPhone's SIM tray. this is what i was told at the service center when i went to get my phone diagnosed.

i changed my cut SIM the very next day; just took a visit to the nearest retail outlet.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:37   #5283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
even if it's easily done, it will void your iPhone warranty if they figure out that the problem caused is because you've been using a cut SIM as opposed to a regular micro/nano SIM in your iPhone's SIM tray.
Given that Nano sim is not available at the moment, only other option is to:

1. Get a blank or T-Mobile (or any other unactivated prepaid) nano sim
2. Copy current sim to blank SIM using SIM reader on PC
3. Destroy current sim to be on safe side

This would cost approx 800 if DIY, repair shops would do this for 2 -300. However, not all of them would have SIM readers, so you need to go to a shop that gets most hopeless handsets to repair.
Old 11th October 2012, 13:10   #5284
BHPian

Update for people looking to get i-phone 5 from HK.

Source - https://reserve.apple.com/HK/en_HK/reserve/iPhone

"Due to high demand, we are accepting a limited number of iPhone 5 reservations per day. To request an iPhone 5 reservation, please choose your store and the iPhone 5 you want. If we have an iPhone 5 reservation for you, you'll receive a confirmation email by 9:00 p.m. tonight that includes the time when you can pick up your iPhone 5 tomorrow. A current and valid government-issued photo ID exactly matching the name and full ID number on your reservation is required for iPhone purchases. If you don't receive an email, we were unable to reserve an iPhone for you, and you can try again another time"

This means you cannot got to an apple store and buy it off the shelf. I phone 4 and 4S though can be bought off shelf.
Old 11th October 2012, 13:39   #5285
Senior - BHPian

iPhone 5 seems to be coming to India on October 26. So we can expect the prices of 4 and 4S go down soon.

http://www.techgig.com/tech-news/edi...in-India-15545
Old 11th October 2012, 14:16   #5286
AWD
BHPian

I was trying ot upgrade my 4S to IOS 6.0 but the download does not complete. While on the PC, iTunes Download does not start only. In iTunes when I click on updates, a box opens asking "Start Download", when I click on it, the box dissapears but the download does not start.

Do I have to change some setting for the download to begin?
Old 11th October 2012, 14:20   #5287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
I was trying ot upgrade my 4S to IOS 6.0 but the download does not complete. While on the PC, iTunes Download does not start only. In iTunes when I click on updates, a box opens asking "Start Download", when I click on it, the box dissapears but the download does not start.

Have you tried a direct over the air update? It takes about an hour or so over a decent 1 mbps wifi connection. I find it easier than a pc linked update. But please backup before you do that.
Old 11th October 2012, 14:33   #5288
AWD
BHPian

You mean directly on the Phone? Yes I tried it ~10 times & it just does not finish & ends up abruptly. My connection speeds are on th eslower side. Till 10GB its 2mbps, after that 256kbps!

Why is it not going through on PC?
Old 11th October 2012, 14:40   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD

I also found it tough to download via iTunes for my 4s,but for 3GS it was smooth and completed in one go.But for 4s tried thrice but every time because of some error it failed,and everytime it fails it tries to download the whole stuff from scratch so updated directly from phone itself,it took around 2 hrs to complete download and install,I guess you can try that.
Old 11th October 2012, 14:45   #5290
BHPian

Are you jailbroken by any chance. That could be an issue to do an over the air. But usually on PC it does download the whole update before saying that, in case of JB. Otherwise i think the servers may have been down or busy at that point of time. Wait for a day or two and then try.

As far as Nano sim is concerned, I had my sim cut from normal to micro and faced zero problems. My usual phone guy at Sukh Sagar Mall assures me its the same when cutting down to nano. Anyway, since I am getting he phone from SG, warranty really does not matter much. Best case scenario for me is to courier the phone back to SG in case of any issue and claim warranty there, if needed.

I am more curious to find out how long it will take to find the cheaper varients of the lightening cable. I need extra cables, one for bed side charging, one in the office and one extra, but am not going to pay 20-25 USD for a cable.
Old 11th October 2012, 17:49   #5291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
iPhone 5 seems to be coming to India on October 26. So we can expect the prices of 4 and 4S go down soon.

http://www.techgig.com/tech-news/edi...in-India-15545
Sad that the news only short lived. Looks like there's no point in waiting for Ip5 *official* launch in India.

Apple officially rejects iPhone 5 India launch rumours

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 11th October 2012 at 17:53.
Old 11th October 2012, 18:32   #5292
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
error it failed,and everytime it fails it tries to download the whole stuff from scratch so updated directly from phone itself,it took around 2 hrs to complete download and install,I guess you can try that.
On iTunes Download doesn't start. On the Phone I've tried ~10 times & it fails everytime & then starts afresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Are you jailbroken by any chance. That could be an issue to do an over the air. But usually on PC it does download the whole update before saying that, in case of JB. .
Yes its JB. So is the JB hindering the update? On PC, the download won't start only.
Old 11th October 2012, 18:34   #5293
BHPian

Yes in will cause this problem. Try reverting to non jb state an try it
Old 11th October 2012, 22:03   #5294
AWD
BHPian

Tried Restoring through iTunes but it shows different Errors. Did not complete. Back to the same state.
Common Errors encountered were: 21, 6032, 32__, etc.
Old 11th October 2012, 22:46   #5295
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra
Update for people looking to get i-phone 5 from HK.

Source - https://reserve.apple.com/HK/en_HK/reserve/iPhone

"Due to high demand, we are accepting a limited number of iPhone 5 reservations per day. To request an iPhone 5 reservation, please choose your store and the iPhone 5 you want. ere unable to reserve an iPhone for you, and you can try again another time"

This means you cannot got to an apple store and buy it off the shelf. I phone 4 and 4S though can be bought off shelf.
The same thing happened to me in the UK when I went to buy my friend an iphone 4, they said their software wasn't working and hence could not unlock the blessed thing etc. long and short of it was that I did not get one then.
In DXB on a work-holiday for a few days and I find i5 is readily available in open condition at 4350 AED for 16GB and 4750 AED for 32GB. Not too bad really but still
It is to be considered an expensive toy. i4S on the other hand is available at 2350 for 16GB and 2750 for 32GB.
Yet to decide on the course of action...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks