Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 21:12   #5671
BHPian

End of the world at 7 pm on 22/12/2012 : 4S snitched

>>>

The world did end yesterday. 22/12/2012. At 7 pm.

My iPhone 4S (64GB) was snitched from my car yesterday near the small flyover off the domestic airport on the WE Highway around 7 pm when I was going north. I had stopped at a small traffic jam which had formed there and there were these two urchins who appeared on either side of the car and pulled off this old caper. I am very irritated at having fallen for this trick.

Filed an FIR today at the Vile Parle Police Station behind the Sahara hotel near the domestic airport. Seems there have been a couple of such cases in the WE Highway -Sahar Road junction and also at the WE Highway -JVLR junction near the traffic signals, where cars stop.

Anyway, I have to buy a new iPhone now. Suggestions from the Apple fan boys please : should I buy the 5 and hope to get a bundled pricing for it and an iPad ( with the retina display & A6X system on chip)? Should I expect any discounts?

Which shop should I go to in Bombay and suburbs?

Regards

(Do not roll down your windows who gesticulate about your having hit them; keep your valuables away from windows in your car)
Old 23rd December 2012, 21:37   #5672
Team-BHP Support

Re: End of the world at 7 pm on 22/12/2012 : 4S snitched

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

The world did end yesterday. 22/12/2012. At 7 pm.
Sad to hear that.
If anyone in your family use iPhone or iPad, get the Find iPhone app installed, and track your phone. Even if the phone is off now, anytime when it get switched on, you will get notified of the location. And I think you can also remotely erase the phone data.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:12   #5673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sad to hear that.
If anyone in your family use iPhone or iPad, get the Find iPhone app installed, and track your phone. Even if the phone is off now, anytime when it get switched on, you will get notified of the location. And I think you can also remotely erase the phone data.
>>>

vb-san,

Thank you.

Unfortunately I was using the 4S more or less in a stand alone mode as I use my office laptop (with all its firewalls, naturally) extensively, so access to team-bhp and other social networking sites was almost completely via the 4S.

Once I have an iPad to go along with the 5, I will definitely pair/sync them and activate the Find iPhone app.

Re. the ability to remotely access and delete the data, is there any way that I can retrieve it if the perpetrators try to access the internet?

Regards
Old 24th December 2012, 14:23   #5674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
Once I have an iPad to go along with the 5, I will definitely pair/sync them and activate the Find iPhone app.

Re. the ability to remotely access and delete the data, is there any way that I can retrieve it if the perpetrators try to access the internet?

Regards
Your best chance of retrieving it is now - hoping your location services are turned on and looking up through iCloud if you had set up Find my iPhone.

When I lost my iPhone, I made the crucial error of not having location services enabled. Even though the phone can be tracked down using the IMEI number, it wont be, not in this country.
Old 24th December 2012, 18:50   #5675
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

I am relatively new to the ios and droid camps and my knowledge about both is absolutely zilch, what are the pros and cons of the 4s as compared to the s3 and what would be the best price to pick up the 4s 16 gb variant around the ncr.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:32   #5676
Senior - BHPian

For the guys with the ip5 here. any of you facing heating issues and rapid battery drain when running 3g cellular data.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:37   #5677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
For the guys with the ip5 here. any of you facing heating issues and rapid battery drain when running 3g cellular data.
My wife has one and lucky no issues so far. Intact I think the battery life is a little better than my 4S. If you are facing any issues it should be covered in the warranty which is pretty comprehensive covering the first year.
Old 27th December 2012, 23:49   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you running the latest updated iOS version? This is the first instance I hear. Try to upgrade if not there, also see if a particular app (even in background mode) is consuming 3G data. Also are you getting complete signals for 3G? Sometimes if the cell is hunting for service it is more power intensive than the usage.
Old 28th December 2012, 00:17   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Updated to the latest version yesterday 6.0.0.2 (Bought the phone yesterday-64Gb version from a retailer in Bangalore)
20 Percent of battery was lost on streaming 30 mins of youtube videos. Plus the heat generated, which gets quite unbearable after some time.
But switch off Data/3G and voila it runs cool as Ice even while playing infinity blade 2.

Network is pretty decent and have good signal strength.
Old 28th December 2012, 06:24   #5680
BHPian

Quote:
Updated to the latest version yesterday 6.0.0.2 (Bought the phone yesterday-64Gb version from a retailer in Bangalore)
20 Percent of battery was lost on streaming 30 mins of Youtube videos. Plus the heat generated, which gets quite unbearable after some time.
But switch off Data/3G and voila it runs cool as Ice even while playing infinity blade 2.

Network is pretty decent and have good signal strength.
I had the same problem during the initial days. Did a few battery "drain-outs" and the battery life has improved substantially. Though yes, at times it tends to get pretty hot.
Old 28th December 2012, 13:48   #5681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I had the same problem during the initial days. Did a few battery "drain-outs" and the battery life has improved substantially. Though yes, at times it tends to get pretty hot.
on the ip5? they do suggest 3 -4 Drain outs for calibration. My 3g has been off for the day and no heating issues till now.

Can watch an hour of youtube videos over without barely any signs of heating.
Old 28th December 2012, 16:57   #5682
Senior - BHPian

The culprit is iOS 6.0.2 its now a reported issue. The battery drains irrespective of 3G. This update was to rectify WPA2 wifi but has cropped this unnecessary issue. If can try to go back to the original settings by resetting the handset. If not Apple is testing 6.1 and that will solve the issue for sure. Many iPads, minis and iPhone versions are suffering due to iOS 6 fiasco that saw head of iOS out of Apple. Enjoy the phone.
Old 28th December 2012, 17:46   #5683
BHPian

Quote:
on the ip5? they do suggest 3 -4 Drain outs for calibration. My 3g has been off for the day and no heating issues till now.

Can watch an hour of Youtube videos over without barely any signs of heating.
Yes, on the iP5. I'm on LTE the whole day. Initially I used to get ~7 hrs. After a few drains it did improve and now a days I get close to 10 hrs. I have turned off a few options like location services and have increased the sync time to 15 minutes or there abouts. I tweaked the settings to suit my need based on the tips given in the link below.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

If you are a really intensive user (= needs all the bells & whistles), then the sad truth is that the battery does indeed drain fast.

I'm on 6.0.2. There is no visible change after the upgrade.

Also it took me at least 3-4 complete drains before I felt a significant change in the charge retention.
Old 28th December 2012, 23:17   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The culprit is iOS 6.0.2 its now a reported issue. The battery drains irrespective of 3G. This update was to rectify WPA2 wifi but has cropped this unnecessary issue. If can try to go back to the original settings by resetting the handset. If not Apple is testing 6.1 and that will solve the issue for sure. Many iPads, minis and iPhone versions are suffering due to iOS 6 fiasco that saw head of iOS out of Apple. Enjoy the phone.
Yea, I was going through the same, but my issues started pre ios 6.0.2. It used to get heated up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Yes, on the iP5. I'm on LTE the whole day. Initially I used to get ~7 hrs. After a few drains it did improve and now a days I get close to 10 hrs. I have turned off a few options like location services and have increased the sync time to 15 minutes or there abouts. I tweaked the settings to suit my need based on the tips given in the link below.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

If you are a really intensive user (= needs all the bells & whistles), then the sad truth is that the battery does indeed drain fast.

I'm on 6.0.2. There is no visible change after the upgrade.

Also it took me at least 3-4 complete drains before I felt a significant change in the charge retention.
Im on BSNL 3G and the moment the 3G services are active, it starts heating up.

As of now I have given the phone to Apple service. They will get back to me on Monday.
Hope the issue is fixed.
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:56   #5685
BHPian

Is the iphone 4 16gb at 28,500 worth buying?
Considering the fact that im gonna be changing my phone anyway after 1 year
It doesn't make any sense to go for iphone 5 at 45,500

Most Viewed