Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 13:02   #5821
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

I tried searching within this thread using thread tools for a safe and reliable way to convert YouTube files in .flv format (using vlc media player) into a format acceptable to iPhone but drew a blank.

Can the experts guide me to a reliable format converter so that I can save my YouTube files in a format which I can transfer from my (Windows) laptop to the 5?

Thank you & regards
issigonis

P.S. :
I might not have searched the thread thoroughly; so if there is a previous discussion please guide me to it. These are YouTube video files.
Handbrake does the job for me. Any video any output without loss in the original quality.
Old 12th March 2013, 21:06   #5822

Apple web site says... "Take advantage of Apple education pricing on Mac computers and certain software and accessories at a local Apple reseller." http://www.apple.com/in/students/ipodtouch-iphone/
Does any body know what is Apple education pricing??
Is it for Mac Computers only or does it apply on i-phones as well?
Old 16th March 2013, 14:38   #5823
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the latest offer from apple for the Iphone 5 today in the papers. Down payment of 17k and then a monthly EMI option of 2300 Rs for 12 months. Total comes to 45.5k. I have been looking at buying a phone near the 15k mark. And suddenly this deal sounds good since the monthly EMI is something that I can take care off easily. Any catches in the deal? Also is the Iphone5 not selling that much? I don't remember seeing such adds for the previous generations so soon after there launch.
Old 16th March 2013, 14:40   #5824
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfeus View Post
Apple web site says... "Take advantage of Apple education pricing on Mac computers and certain software and accessories at a local Apple reseller." http://www.apple.com/in/students/ipodtouch-iphone/
Does any body know what is Apple education pricing??
Is it for Mac Computers only or does it apply on i-phones as well?
Mac only and also with iPads in USA
Old 16th March 2013, 15:31   #5825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Saw the latest offer from apple for the Iphone 5 today in the papers. Down payment of 17k and then a monthly EMI option of 2300 Rs for 12 months. Total comes to 45.5k. I have been looking at buying a phone near the 15k mark. And suddenly this deal sounds good since the monthly EMI is something that I can take care off easily. Any catches in the deal? Also is the Iphone5 not selling that much? I don't remember seeing such adds for the previous generations so soon after there launch.
I guess the 12 months option comes with a processing charge. 6 months emi is without any extra charges.
Secondly iPhone 5 is available at shops for 42k with bill & warranty.
EMI schemes are now popular for iPhone 5 because it is now available through nationwide distributors Redington & ingram and hence a large number of outlets as well.
Old 16th March 2013, 18:21   #5826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

I guess the 12 months option comes with a processing charge. 6 months emi is without any extra charges.
Secondly iPhone 5 is available at shops for 42k with bill & warranty.
EMI schemes are now popular for iPhone 5 because it is now available through nationwide distributors Redington & ingram and hence a large number of outlets as well.
I guess I am going to check it out. Will go ahead with 6 month option if the processing charges are too high. Spending 42k at once is a little tough.
Old 17th March 2013, 13:18   #5827
Senior - BHPian

I've a few questions related to 4 & 4S.

I have a 4S 64GB, 4S 32GB & a 4 16GB. I've seen people with Android phones using their phone as a Wi-Fi access point and run internet on their laptops through the 3G.

How can I do this with my iPhones?

Secondly, while all the above mentioned three phones have the Bluetooth on, they don't discover each other. Why?

Thirdly when I connect the phones to my Mac, on the iTunes why can't I copy music or pictures to & fro?

Thanks in advance and a step-by-step instruction (as given to a novice) shall be welcome.
Old 17th March 2013, 15:12   #5828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've a few questions related to 4 & 4S.

I have a 4S 64GB, 4S 32GB & a 4 16GB. I've seen people with Android phones using their phone as a Wi-Fi access point and run internet on their laptops through the 3G.

How can I do this with my iPhones?

Secondly, while all the above mentioned three phones have the Bluetooth on, they don't discover each other. Why?

Thirdly when I connect the phones to my Mac, on the iTunes why can't I copy music or pictures to & fro?

Thanks in advance and a step-by-step instruction (as given to a novice) shall be welcome.
For the wifi access, once you have your 3G switched on, there is a option for personal hotspot ,

The iPhone Thread-image3297053448.jpg

turn that on and will allow your phone to be used as a modem .
Apple's Bluetooth function is only for audio connectivity like handfree etc.
You won't be able to transfer data with Bluetooth on iphone
Old 18th March 2013, 10:38   #5829
Senior - BHPian

Thank you so much. It was of great help. I switched-off my home wi-fi and turned the hotspot on. Could connect my iPad to the net through the iPhone. Thanks once again.

The line in bold is shame. I wish if data sharing was possible via b-tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
For the wifi access, once you have your 3G switched on, there is a option for personal hotspot ,

Attachment 1063166

turn that on and will allow your phone to be used as a modem .
Apple's Bluetooth function is only for audio connectivity like handfree etc.
You won't be able to transfer data with Bluetooth on iphone
Old 18th March 2013, 10:54   #5830
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much. It was of great help. I switched-off my home wi-fi and turned the hotspot on. Could connect my iPad to the net through the iPhone. Thanks once again.

The line in bold is shame. I wish if data sharing was possible via b-tooth.
It is possible when you Jailbreak your iPhone.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:31   #5831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Yes. But I'm only able to send files. Is it also possible to receive from another device?
Old 18th March 2013, 18:59   #5832
Senior - BHPian

That's one risk that I wouldn't take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Old 18th March 2013, 19:11   #5833
Senior - BHPian

I also don't think , it worth a jailbreak for only getting the Bluetooth data transfer going .

But jailbreak has other advantages also .

Cheers
Old 18th March 2013, 23:30   #5834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post

Yes. But I'm only able to send files. Is it also possible to receive from another device?
If you are exchanging files between two iOS devices, there are a number of utilities that can help you. Bump is one of them.
Old 19th March 2013, 19:13   #5835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's one risk that I wouldn't take.
Jailbreaking is not risky at all :S. I've JB'd my 3GS, iPad 4, friends iPad 4 and numerous other devices for various people multiple times.
In fact if you have the latest iOS 6 the latest evasi0n jailbreak is very very simple to use. Simply plug in your iDevice which is on iOS6 or greater and click the button on the evasi0n software in your computer, Sit back and it does it's thing : ). Ofcourse do not Jailbreak if your warranty is still intact.
Oh btw I've posted this assuming it is allowed to talk about Jailbreaking here since I see it mentioned in a couple of posts above mine : P

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
If you are exchanging files between two iOS devices, there are a number of utilities that can help you. Bump is one of them.
Do you know of any app that will allow me to send/receive data using bluetooth with phones of other make than apple? say old Nokia phone?

Last edited by Maky : 19th March 2013 at 19:16.

Most Viewed