Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 09:52   #6196
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I was thinking of purchasing a locked Iphone 5 from USA as one of my friends lives there. And after I receive it I can get it unlocked locally by someone by jailbreaking it. Is it possible to do so?
Purchasing locked phone under contract is very easy and cheap initially however one needs to ensure that the contract is terminated officially by paying the early termination fee(ETF). After paying the ETF the service provider will unlock the phone for you. If the contract is not terminated than the charges appear as past due and the credit history of the person buying the phone is screwed.

So please ensure the ETF is paid and account is closed with service provider.

I have gone through the above process and I had to pay ETF of 265$ after using the phone for 8 months. ETF is calculated based on the term remaining on contract.

The best option is to buy unlocked contract free iphone directly from amazon.com or apple.com. It will save you lot of headache later on.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12th September 2013, 09:58   #6197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
No no i meant where in USA are you buying it from? If AT&T or Tmobile they will unlock the phone for you! otherwise just get an unlock from Ebay, cost $5 at the most and its permanent. i have it done it myself

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Permane...item3a84ae3626
Please don't jump the gun. Be careful while buying locked phones as these are locked by 2 years contract with the service provider like AT&T. If the contract term is not completed successfully or if the pre-closure fees is not paid where the owner chooses to foreclose the contract, these phones can not be unlocked for $5 or so. Better to know the IMEI beforehand to check whether the contract was honoured or not
Old 12th September 2013, 10:00   #6198
BHPian

Oh! So what exactly is ETF? And how much will I have to pay for it? Please explain as I dont have much knowledge about it.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:03   #6199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Please don't jump the gun. Be careful while buying locked phones as these are locked by 2 years contract with the service provider like AT&T. If the contract term is not completed successfully or if the pre-closure fees is not paid where the owner chooses to foreclose the contract, these phones can not be unlocked for $5 or so. Better to know the IMEI beforehand to check whether the contract was honoured or not
Actually they can still unlock it! cause it gets carrier blocked if the bill is not paid! i have been a victim of buying a stolen phone! it doesnt work on AT&T but i have used it successfully on Vodafone and Airtel

And i meant they unlock it for you if you pay the full Price

Last edited by Diamond_dawg : 12th September 2013 at 10:07.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:07   #6200
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! So what exactly is ETF? And how much will I have to pay for it? Please explain as I dont have much knowledge about it.
Please search in google "AT&T early termination iphone5". You will be directed to AT&T website which will explain it in detail.

Ask your friend to buy unlocked contract free iphone and send it to you.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:11   #6201
BHPian

Quote:
Please refer to AT&T site more particularly the following link

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...-term-fees.jsp

I presume that this iPhone 5 is contracted with AT&T.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:56   #6202
BHPian

I didn't bother to check if this link has been posted before (excuse my laziness)
What if iWatch is actually a TV! Samsung was probably fooled into making 'gear' to compete against the "watch" from Apple. And iWatch for a TV is an interesting name. I wish apple is conjuring up a magic device that can pleasantly surprise the world!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzinga...s-really-a-tv/
Old 12th September 2013, 18:50   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Going against what I'm reading as comments on blog sites and elsewhere, i am going against the general opinion that Apple hasn't done anything significant or innovative this year.

I'm not an expert or even a techie, but my instincts tell me that them launching the 64-bit OS, the M7 motion sensing processor and Touch ID have a lot to do with the future products and services Apple are currently working on. I can probably relate the need for 64-bit OS and the M7 processor to have something to do with the future planned wearable devices (watches, etc.) and any other products and services (NFC) Apple is planning. Surely Apple will be thinking much ahead when launching these this year (gives them a 1 year head start on free large scale user testing as well).

And I'm no Apple fanboy, please (I own a Samsung S4)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I also feel they've purposely delayed the launch of ios 7 so that in the interim people may impulsively purchase the iPhone 5S/C! Nice trick!
Incorrect and no trick. The iOS7 is going to be available to existing iPhone users on 18th September, BEFORE the iPhone 5s and 5c launch on September 20th.
~~~~~~~

Another interesting article.. What if there is no iWatch?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzinga...s-really-a-tv/

Last edited by k_ajay : 12th September 2013 at 19:03.
Old 12th September 2013, 19:46   #6204
BHPian

I found this link summarizes the Apple offering better :

http://www.internetevolution.com/aut...doc_id=267639&

The 64 bit processor is killing feature for me
Old 12th September 2013, 21:39   #6205
BHPian

Have been trying iOS 7 Gold Master on my iPhone 4. Eye catchy icons and app transition effects. But makes iP4 bit sloppy and slow. Borrowed lot of tweaks from jailbreak community and added apple touch to them. With unlocking generally available without any hassle and tweaks of JB being lifted (or adopted, so to say) by Apple, I think JB is losing its sheen.
Old 13th September 2013, 16:13   #6206
BHPian

Interesting article on the camera on 5s: http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/09/12/a...one-5s-camera/
Old 14th September 2013, 10:01   #6207
BHPian

Whats this 64 bit OS hype about?
To me, atleast for now, this has no advantage from user perspective. It might be useful when the memory demand increases later.
Old 14th September 2013, 19:53   #6208
Distinguished - BHPian

My sister wants to buy the I phone. She won't buy the 5c. I am getting the 5 in India for 42k. But read on the net that in USA 5s is available for 650 dollars ie approx 41k. These are unlocked phones available with AT & T or something like that. So what makes more sense? Will these unlocked phones work fine in India? And is it sensible or should rather just opt for the 5?
Old 14th September 2013, 20:16   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My sister wants to buy the I phone. She won't buy the 5c. I am getting the 5 in India for 42k. But read on the net that in USA 5s is available for 650 dollars ie approx 41k. These are unlocked phones available with AT & T or something like that. So what makes more sense? Will these unlocked phones work fine in India? And is it sensible or should rather just opt for the 5?
Don't' worry these unlocked phones will work anywhere in the world. And it is better to go in for 5s as it is advanced compared to 5. And it will have at least one more year of iOS support compared to 5.
Old 14th September 2013, 20:30   #6210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I feel you should wait or buy the one in india . Although unlocked phones work all over the world but the warranty is only national ! You can only claim warranty in the specific country of purchase . So the extra money is well worth it ! I am using the 5 and it works brilliantly but a new phones a new phone and it has additional features ! But it all comes down to the cost in india .
Regards
Imran

Most Viewed