Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 15:31   #6451
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Spec wise how different is IP4 from IP4S. I am not talking about the on paper specs. Looking at the price IP4s is still going for 38.5k.
iP4s is now 31k. Apple reduced it by 7K last week. But all stores in India are hell bent in clearing their iP4 stock that, if you ask for iP4S, you get reply "Out of stock".
Old 17th October 2013, 15:41   #6452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post

iP4s is now 31k. Apple reduced it by 7K last week. But all stores in India are hell bent in clearing their iP4 stock that, if you ask for iP4S, you get reply "Out of stock".
True. Each and every shop said its out of stock. Wonder if the prices will dip further to around 25k. Not impossible eh?
Old 17th October 2013, 16:06   #6453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Will definitely try and get it replaced. Thanks guys.
Hi Akshay

Just some information in case you find it useful,

Here in Singapore and few other nations, there is Applecare+ for 'not-so-careful' palms , which is for 2 years from the date of device purchase and a phone can be replaced for a maximum of 2 times within the warranty period (no questions asked, straight replacement even if you accidentally drop the phone, device fell in water etc.). The "Applecare+" warranty needs to be purchased within a month of device purchase (it retails for about 138 SGD).

I have read in some Apple forums that this "+" warranty will be extended to other countries and also make it international, that is, even if I purchase a phone in Singapore, I can get it exchanged in India which is not the case currently (a phone can be replaced only in the country where the warranty is purchased).
Old 17th October 2013, 17:27   #6454
BHPian

Quote:

You could check online store like Flipkart or Amazon ?
Old 17th October 2013, 17:29   #6455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
True. Each and every shop said its out of stock. Wonder if the prices will dip further to around 25k. Not impossible eh?
Stock clearance indeed. iPhone 4 is no longer produced; the current range comprises of 4S (8GB), 5C (16, 32GB), and 5S (16, 32, 64GB).
Old 19th October 2013, 08:12   #6456
BHPian

My iPhone5 with 7.0.2 is not able to switch off. The battery charge is always showing at 54%. It seems like some thing hung. But no other functionality are hung.. every thing else is working fine. Tried enabling General-Accessibilty-Assistive touch and done along pressing the lock button, but no use.. Any suggestion for resolving this issue..??
Old 19th October 2013, 14:50   #6457
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
My iPhone5 with 7.0.2 is not able to switch off. The battery charge is always showing at 54%. It seems like some thing hung. But no other functionality are hung.. every thing else is working fine. Tried enabling General-Accessibilty-Assistive touch and done along pressing the lock button, but no use.. Any suggestion for resolving this issue..??

Take it to iRepair in Koramangala and they will sort it out. Good blokes those!

Quote:
Spec wise how different is IP4 from IP4S. I am not talking about the on paper specs. Looking at the price IP4s is still going for 38.5k.
The camera in i4S is much better at 8 mp than the i4 at 5mp. The i5 is lovely too because of its 8 mp camera. For me the camera is very important. But in migrating away from Nokia I lost out on my N8's superb 12 mp camera. However since I gave it to my Dad he is using it to the hilt!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th October 2013 at 15:50. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 19th October 2013, 15:02   #6458
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The camera in i4S is much better at 8 mp than the i4 at 5mp. The i5 is lovely too because of its 8 mp camera. For me the camera is very important. But in migrating away from Nokia I lost out on my N8's superb 12 mp camera. However since I gave it to my Dad he is using it to the hilt!
I came curious as to why should the MP of the camera matter beyond say 4-5 MP unless you planning to print the photo big enough to make a big poster?
Old 19th October 2013, 15:05   #6459
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I came curious as to why should the MP of the camera matter beyond say 4-5 MP unless you planning to print the photo big enough to make a big poster?
Is it not true that the higher the MP the better the quality of pictures one can take? Also, I really like a high quality zoom too. The Nokia with the 41 mp camera and some 10X zoom or whatever, is able to take pictures of scenery etc like no other phone can and quite possibly is better than some full blooded cameras themselves!

My i4S takes lovely photos too but I might be biased because I only see the photos on other iDevices...having said that my poor old iPad2 has a lousy camera and the photos are horribly grainy....

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th October 2013 at 15:07.
Old 19th October 2013, 15:14   #6460
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Is it not true that the higher the MP the better the quality of pictures one can take?
As I said, not beyond 3-4MP. i.e. a 3 MP camera is much better than a 1 MP one if you are printing regular sized photos (4 by 6). Beyond 3MP it makes no difference for a 4 by 6. If you are printing slightly bigger, then 4MP will be better than 3 MP. Beyond 5MP the extra resolution would make no difference for printing unless you are printing advertisement poster size pictures. A 5MP gives more than enough resolution for that size. Likewise if you aren't printing but hosting it on a website, a 5MP is probably good enough for almost any size you wish to host on a website.

MP isn't a measure of quality of a camera. It's a measure of resolution - i.e. pixel density. There is a threshold pixel density for each size (for printing & for displaying) - any pixel density beyond that is useless.

Size of the sensor and quality of the lens would give huge improvements in quality beyond say a 4MP or 5MP camera.

All this was my understanding in the pre-phone camera days when digital camera were typically independent cameras. I don't any reason stuff should have changed for phone cameras - though if they have, I would sure like to know.

Last edited by carboy : 19th October 2013 at 15:17.
Old 19th October 2013, 15:36   #6461
BHPian

Quote:
Take it to iRepair in Koramangala and they will sort it out. Good blokes those!
Sure, I will ba be back in Bangalore on Monday. At present, it gone worse..the display totally gone blank and phone is in complete hung state now. Thru iTunes I can access this, so backed up all photos..!!
Old 19th October 2013, 15:45   #6462
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
As I said, not beyond 3-4MP. i.e. a 3 MP camera is much better than a 1 MP one if you are printing regular sized photos (4 by 6). Beyond 3MP it makes no difference for a 4 by 6. If you are printing slightly bigger, then 4MP will be better than 3 MP. Beyond 5MP the extra resolution would make no difference for printing unless you are printing advertisement poster size pictures. A 5MP gives more than enough resolution for that size. Likewise if you aren't printing but hosting it on a website, a 5MP is probably good enough for almost any size you wish to host on a website. MP isn't a measure of quality of a camera. It's a measure of resolution - i.e. pixel density. There is a threshold pixel density for each size (for printing & for displaying) - any pixel density beyond that is useless. Size of the sensor and quality of the lens would give huge improvements in quality beyond say a 4MP or 5MP camera. All this was my understanding in the pre-phone camera days when digital camera were typically independent cameras. I don't any reason stuff should have changed for phone cameras - though if they have, I would sure like to know.

My old Nokia N8 and this new Nokia with the 41mp camera both came with Carl Zeiss lenses. Those are superb lenses and have been so since the pre second world war days. The macro and zoom functions on my Nokia phone cameras were always great. I do like my i4S camera and thehotos I am able to get from it, but I would still not rate it as highly as I would, the Nokia. Possibly this is on account of the Carl Zeiss lenses that Nokia uses in their cameras! Right from the N78 which I had in 2008 to the N82 which I changed to in 2009, to the N8 that I bought in 2010, all the Nokia phones have had lovely cameras.

Even now Carl Zeiss binoculars are highly prized. I know because my father has a pair and has gotten some very lucrative offers for those.

I understand that Sony makes all the cameras for iDevices or so I am told. However, I do not know why on earth they dont give Carl Zeiss lenses to the iDevices the way they do to their mainline cameras.

I love the iPhones for their aesthetics, form factor and quality and overall 'feel good' plus the fact that all these lovely sleek iDevices can quietly and seamlessly sync with each other all the time. But if there is one thing which can be improved in the iDevices, it is that they must somehow upgrade their cameras and get a top class lens manufacturer like Carl Zeiss or someone of a similar stature to create lenses for iDevices!
Old 19th October 2013, 17:49   #6463
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, I will ba be back in Bangalore on Monday. At present, it gone worse..the display totally gone blank and phone is in complete hung state now. Thru iTunes I can access this, so backed up all photos..!!
If it's iP5, this should be covered in warranty. Take it to the Apple store nearby. They will replace your handset if it calls for replacement of parts.
Old 20th October 2013, 07:00   #6464
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I am able to recover the phone. It was not responding to the power-off button, but when I tried with key combinations (power-off+Home Key+Volume Up) it responded and rebooted. Now every thing seems to be ok. I don't know if there is any such key combination code exists, but it was just a try..!! I don't think that I can re-create the same issue, it was all happened during an FB app update via gprs.

Thank you all for the support.
Old 20th October 2013, 07:49   #6465
BHPian

Quote:

Looks like I am able to recover the phone. It was not responding to the power-off button, but when I tried with key combinations (power-off+Home Key+Volume Up) it responded and rebooted. Now every thing seems to be ok. I don't know if there is any such key combination code exists, but it was just a try..!! I don't think that I can re-create the same issue, it was all happened during an FB app update via gprs.

Thank you all for the support.
Hi! What you have done (power+home+volume up) is safe boot. This is generally done to uninstall tweaks and apps causing issue in a jailbroken iphone.

Most Viewed