Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 12:08   #6931
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Brand-New-App...-/131258078345 - 26k for 8GB!! Makes the 16GB too expensive!
Old 8th August 2014, 22:47   #6932
BHPian

Hello guys, hope it's the right thread to discuss about ipad. I'm planning to buy an ipad, I have to options ipad air for 33k or ipad 4th generation with Retina display for 23k. Is it advisable to got for air, I believe mostly it's the size difference.
Old 8th August 2014, 22:56   #6933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Hello guys, hope it's the right thread to discuss about ipad. I'm planning to buy an ipad, I have to options ipad air for 33k or ipad 4th generation with Retina display for 23k. Is it advisable to got for air, I believe mostly it's the size difference.
more than screen size difference it is weight which matters when you carry it on the GO. BTW here is the dedicated thread for iPad http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...thread-20.html

may be there are answers to all your questions
Old 16th August 2014, 06:25   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
When I had posted here, all my phone needed was an ear piece cleaning. But now unfortunately its Dead. How? I went swimming with it in my pocket. I took the phone to Apple Service Center in Forum mall. They said I can go in for a paid service. This is basically exchanging the phone for a new piece of same specifications. As a policy it seems, Apple does not repair phones, only replace. Even if a volume button malfunctions, the entire phone is replaced. And for this the major prerequisites are: Phone should be bought in India and you should have the Bill. They can check the S/N too which is printed on the Sim tray, but said that data at times is not always updated. Hence the Bill. They will not entertain a phone bought outside India, even if its legally bought and with Bill.

But I dont want to give away my phone. So will try out iService now and see if they can do something about it. The battery is now swollen and it forced open the rear cover. Hope the phone can be revived. Will go this weekend. Fingers Crossed.
MaSh
So visit to iService is still pending. In the mean time I switched to Android and the iPhone has been lying on the shelf.

Now, my sister liked the idea of me giving it away to Apple service and getting a New/Refurbished iPhone, which, yes she will use.

Has anyone done this? My primary concern is the tons of personal and official data trapped in the phone. This was the main reason, why I was hesitant in giving it away and bending towards iService repair. I am sure Apple has a policy for data protection, but still anyone with more information out of experience on this?

Regards,
MaSh
Old 17th August 2014, 09:20   #6935
BHPian

Quote:
Now, my sister liked the idea of me giving it away to Apple service and getting a New/Refurbished iPhone, which, yes she will use.

Has anyone done this? My primary concern is the tons of personal and official data trapped in the phone. This was the main reason, why I was hesitant in giving it away and bending towards iService repair. I am sure Apple has a policy for data protection, but still anyone with more information out of experience on this?

Regards,
MaSh
IWater damage is not covered under warranty, so am not sure paid service will help. IService doesn't cover water damage either, if I recall. If you are offered a no-Q asked replacement, I would grab it.

And no service center offers a data protection policy. Your data has to be backed up by you, and they clearly state they are not responsible. Unless the phone is bootable, I a unsure if Iservice can extract your data, but please do ask.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:17   #6936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
IWater damage is not covered under warranty, so am not sure paid service will help. IService doesn't cover water damage either, if I recall. If you are offered a no-Q asked replacement, I would grab it.

And no service center offers a data protection policy. Your data has to be backed up by you, and they clearly state they are not responsible. Unless the phone is bootable, I a unsure if Iservice can extract your data, but please do ask.
The apple service center confirmed that the phone will be replaced for a 9k service. The phone is not Bootable, not atleast by me. I have the backup, that's not an issue. I don't want it accessed by anyone else. My office had encrypted it, but still not quite sure. IPhone doed not have an SD card as such, it's a chip on the board, so it's not that easy to access the memory contents, as per Google.

MaSh
Old 18th August 2014, 14:55   #6937
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a quick question - is there any issue buying an iPhone from Flipkart or Amazon as compared to buying from a local store when it comes to warranty and stuff? I'm getting the 5S almost 7k cheaper on Flipkart and hence the question.
Old 18th August 2014, 15:02   #6938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Guys, a quick question - is there any issue buying an iPhone from Flipkart or Amazon as compared to buying from a local store when it comes to warranty and stuff? I'm getting the 5S almost 7k cheaper on Flipkart and hence the question.
It comes with standard Apple India 1 year warranty. I think it is mentioned in their site itself.
Old 18th August 2014, 16:21   #6939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
It comes with standard Apple India 1 year warranty. I think it is mentioned in their site itself.
I did see that, but I was wondering if will there be any complications if bought online when it comes to warranty. I had checked with Univercell about the phone and when told about the difference he told me that you shouldn't buy it online as you'll have problems later. Wanted to check if anyone has faced such problems, before taking the plunge
Old 18th August 2014, 16:40   #6940
BHPian

Quote:
I did see that, but I was wondering if will there be any complications if bought online when it comes to warranty. I had checked with Univercell about the phone and when told about the difference he told me that you shouldn't buy it online as you'll have problems later. Wanted to check if anyone has faced such problems, before taking the plunge

iPhone warranty is valid in India even if Flipkart or Amazon sells it as long as it is an Apple India Product. When you take your phone for warranty issues to an Apple centre like Imagine store, they don't worry about whether you picked it up from an online reseller or else where. They just check their database to see if it's a produce of Apple India and if it's warranty is still valid. Old school seller's-bill-required kind of warranty is not valid here as well as many of today's products. But our dear resellers often mis-guide us so as to turn some sales in their direction.

Have happened to me too but I've got warranty easily for my iPhone I purchased in India. But for an iPhone I had used earlier which was purchased abroad, service was just denied. Forget warranty but even paid service was just denied as they said only Apple India phones can be serviced with them. Was shocked when both Redington and Imagine store accepted the India made iPhone and gave a replacement phone without questions asked and same time completely refused service for other iPhone bought from outside India. So got the latter fixed at a mobile service centre and both are working fine since then. This happened about a year back.
Old 18th August 2014, 17:15   #6941
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajay for the quick response and the clarification. Puts my mind at ease, it does Have placed the order on Amazon.
Old 18th August 2014, 17:37   #6942
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajay for the quick response and the clarification. Puts my mind at ease, it does Have placed the order on Amazon.

Anytime! I purchased my older iPhone abroad not knowing this. Learnt it the hard way. Happy to share the info and congrats on your purchase. Hope you get it soon!
Old 18th August 2014, 18:17   #6943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Anytime! I purchased my older iPhone abroad not knowing this. Learnt it the hard way. Happy to share the info and congrats on your purchase. Hope you get it soon!
Actually this is for my wife. We had been to Puducherry last weekend and her iPhone 5S was stolen the very day we landed there. After a horrible experience with the police there and a ruined weekend, we resigned to our fate - we were never going to see that phone again.

Wifey was heartbroken, I had gotten her the phone in March. Hope this cheers her up

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th August 2014 at 18:37.
Old 18th August 2014, 19:20   #6944
BHPian

Quote:
Actually this is for my wife. We had been to Puducherry last weekend and her iPhone 5S was stolen the very day we landed there. After a horrible experience with the police there and a ruined weekend, we resigned to our fate - we were never going to see that phone again.

Wifey was heartbroken, I had gotten her the phone in March. Hope this cheers her up
Did you try Phone Locator? Was it of any help?
Old 18th August 2014, 20:11   #6945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you try Phone Locator? Was it of any help?
didn't have another i-device, so called up my sister to track it, but it was already switched off. enabled Lost mode and setup my number for a call back to no avail. when we were leaving Puducherry, i asked my sister to erase the phone. even now that phone hasn't come online.

it is a big racket there and from few acquaintances out there i learnt that the local police is also involved. when we went to lodge a complaint at the nearest police station (Grand Bazaar), they refused to even lodge a complaint!

so anyone travelling out there, be extra careful of your belongings, be it in your hotel room or on yourself - coz nobody's gonna help you if you lose something.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th August 2014 at 20:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks