Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 23:53   #7621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am planning to upgrade my iPhone and iPad. I already got rid of my old iPad. I Presently have a iPhone 4S and I love the build quality, the 5S was a planned upgrade but since its an upgrade why not the latest. My concerns are the build quality of the 6 and 6Plus. can some one using the above phones tell me about their build quality, are they scratch prone. I have dropped my phone couple of times, will the 6/6Plus survive an accidental drop?

Now coming to my iPad usage, I mainly used to use it for facebook Youtube and some online reading including tbhp. I don't play games and I listen to songs through sawaan, so hdd size should not be a constraint. I don't want to spend a bomb for this but would definitely like to have one since I used to enjoy the large screen, Hence mini is ruled out. I can shell out something in the early twenties or may be less

Please suggest.

Pramod

Me too was in the same dilemma about iPhone. Anyway, went forward and bought the iPhone 6. To tell the truth, it is never as easy as using 4s . Many a times I wish I had bought a 5s. One handed operations are impossible in 6. Build quality, responsiveness and all are same, no complaints there. 6 was so slippery without a cover/ case that I bought one on the same day after a few hours use ( actual plan was to buy online). Please don't think that reading will be easier in 6, it is no iPad. I think 5s is more user friendly and more convenient to carry. 5s fits in almost all shirt pockets, where as 6 doesn't in most.
Regarding iPad , used iPad 3 and above can be obtained for really cheap prices. If you are not comfortable with used ones, iPad Air 16 GB will be the cheapest. I don't feel much difference in performance of iPad 3 compared to air. Given your use, 3 will be the best option if you could procure one. No need at all to go for air 2.

BTW, one question: is there some app for Volkswagen car radio in iPhone ? I have seen the service app and remote app, is there anything else useful?
Old 20th March 2015, 06:44   #7622
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Help!

People.
Ive been happily using an iPhone 4S 32 GB for nearly 3 years now.
I've upgraded to 8.2.3 iOS.
There seem to be some occasional issues of call drop etc.
Further I ve dropped this poor phone several times and it has taken quite a beating with regular and sustained use over time. Else it is a perfect phone. Excellent size and very user friendly. Ideal for mail and whatsapp and all the rest of it.
I am now thinking of the iPhone 6 64GB because I would like to move forward a bit. Not to the latest latest, so Im not really waiting to blow big bucks on the new upcoming 6S or 7 or whatever.
Am quite happy to buy these end-of-lifecycle-yet-relevant models which is why Im thinking of the 6.
The prices seem to be hovering around 56-62K right now on the online web commerce stores.
Is this price likely to drop?
If so when?
I don't want to wait until the last minute because true to apple's strategy they will pull out the 6 64GB variant from the markets just before they launch the new 6S or 7.
So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?

Any input will be appreciated!
Old 20th March 2015, 06:59   #7623
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?

I assume the next model release should be in September that is still a few months away. Being an iPhone, I don’t think the price will drop, and actually this is pretty good time to get one (we’re planning to get a 6 in April).

I would say, get it now
Old 20th March 2015, 10:25   #7624
BHPian

Quote:
People.
Ive been happily using an iPhone 4S 32 GB for nearly 3 years now.
I've upgraded to 8.2.3 iOS.
There seem to be some occasional issues of call drop etc.
Further I ve dropped this poor phone several times and it has taken quite a beating with regular and sustained use over time. Else it is a perfect phone. Excellent size and very user friendly. Ideal for mail and whatsapp and all the rest of it.
I am now thinking of the iPhone 6 64GB because I would like to move forward a bit. Not to the latest latest, so Im not really waiting to blow big bucks on the new upcoming 6S or 7 or whatever.
Am quite happy to buy these end-of-lifecycle-yet-relevant models which is why Im thinking of the 6.
The prices seem to be hovering around 56-62K right now on the online web commerce stores.
If so when?
I don't want to wait until the last minute because true to apple's strategy they will pull out the 6 64GB variant from the markets just before they launch the new 6S or 7.

Hi Sankar,
Along with the cost, check the size of the phone, make sure you are happy holding 6 in your hand. If yes, go ahead. The prices wont come down drastically in the next 3-4 months. Check for some good offers online and buy it.

If you are not happy with the size, try 5S. Amazon has 32GB for 41K.

Many people I spoke to, who are used to 4s and 5s are not happy with the big screened 6 and 6+, hence this suggestion.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 20th March 2015, 10:40   #7625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If so when?

I had a ditto same strategy (but didnt buy in the end) - the prices really fell around September a week or two after the launch of the 6
http://www.mysmartprice.com/product/...ther#tab_graph
Old 20th March 2015, 10:52   #7626
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

My old buddy iPhone 3GS battery getting weaker and weaker.

Has anyone bought battery recently online or offline ( Cochin / TVM )

Please let me know
Old 20th March 2015, 19:43   #7627
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thank you Vb
Will probably take your advice because I ve never been good at waiting for something I want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I assume the next model release should be in September that is still a few months away. Being an iPhone, I don’t think the price will drop, and actually this is pretty good time to get one (we’re planning to get a 6 in April).

I would say, get it now

Thank you 2500 CC
I am comfortable with the Size of the plain old 6. The shut off button on the side could pose irritation at the outset but Im sure not for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Sankar,
Along with the cost, check the size of the phone, make sure you are happy holding 6 in your hand. If yes, go ahead. The prices wont come down drastically in the next 3-4 months. Check for some good offers online and buy it.

If you are not happy with the size, try 5S. Amazon has 32GB for 41K.

Many people I spoke to, who are used to 4s and 5s are not happy with the big screened 6 and 6+, hence this suggestion.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Thanks mate.
I guess I will consider it in April...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I had a ditto same strategy (but didnt buy in the end) - the prices really fell around September a week or two after the launch of the 6
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:15   #7628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I have a 'bought-in-India' iPhone 5 which has also developed the 'bulging' battery issue !
And it's also got the non-functioning 'Home' button problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I agree, the parts doesn't seem to be as reliable as earlier.
But am still happy with the response I got for my problems even though the device is no longer under warranty.
So you should be able to get the battery replaced for free since the device was purchased here.
Hey thanks & I guess Apple does take care of it's own
Gave my iPhone to Apple Care here in Chennai Thursday evening, got a replacement iPhone today evening (Saturday).
Not only was my original phone out of warranty, it wasn't showing up under the battery recall program either.
When I'd dropped off the phone they told me that I'd have to pay 23K for the battery replacement.
But apparently, the 'bulging battery' issue's still covered & they gave me a replacement phone today.

The only other positive experience I've had when it comes to replacements is with Microsoft.
They replaced my X-Box 360, twice in 4 years - delivered home each time too !
-
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:57   #7629
BHPian

Quote:

There is no expectation for any sort of drop in price. In fact, april onwards the price will go up thanks to the tax increase on import.
Official price for the 64gb will go to 63500. So expect online price to hover around 59. If you do find something for around 56-57, do not hesitate in buying it.
Ive also upgraded to the iphone 6, beginning of this month, and im pretty happy with it overall.
Old 22nd March 2015, 05:05   #7630
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Did anyone else lose your Safari bookmarks with 8.2?
Old 22nd March 2015, 05:30   #7631
Senior - BHPian

I can also vouch for Apple customer care. There is no other company ever that I had a better experience with, outside or inside India. That their products are good also helps. I would not think twice before putting my money on Apple products.
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:25   #7632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did anyone else lose your Safari bookmarks with 8.2?

Nope. I still got my bookmarks in Safari.
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:41   #7633
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks & I guess Apple does take care of it's own
Gave my iPhone to Apple Care here in Chennai Thursday evening, got a replacement iPhone today evening (Saturday).
-
Nice!

Btw, did they mention why they are replacing the entire phone?
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:34   #7634
BHPian

Quote:
When I'd dropped off the phone they told me that I'd have to pay 23K for the battery replacement.
23K for replacing the battery alone?
Old 23rd March 2015, 07:34   #7635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
23K for replacing the battery alone?

Nope; Apple does not believe in repair, 23K is for a replacement phone after you return the broken/damaged one.

Most Viewed