Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 08:02   #7636
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
23K for replacing the battery alone?
Or what you think, how will they provide so called hassle free replacement service, warranty or so if they are not making exorbitant profits of around $200 on sale of per unit:

https://theoverspill.wordpress.com/2...tphone-market/
(Scroll down and look at the per unit unit revenue)

Get an Apple franchise if you want to become rich enough to afford an Apple

Last edited by tbppjpr : 23rd March 2015 at 08:05.
Old 24th March 2015, 08:51   #7637
BHPian

Seems like I've been bit by the iPhone bug. Been using WP devices (L520 and L730) for the last two years and Sony Ericsson (Java) devices before that. What I expect from my phones is a total lag free operation, user friendliness and reliability rather than a plethora of customization options. Reading multiple articles (including this one) gave me a feeling that iPhones and iOS are the best in the department and the hunger for owning one has begun.

But I don't want to spend a bomb and hence 4S and 5C are the only options.

-But is 4S still worth going for? I've got a friend who's using a two year old 4S and it's still in mint condition.

-And about the 5C, the plastic feel lacks the premium looks of the 4S/5S and hence the ambiguity.

-And about the repair in case of any damage, will it drill a hole in my pocket?

iPhone users kindly mention the pros and cons of the same, so that I can come to a conclusion whether or not to buy one.
Old 24th March 2015, 09:02   #7638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seems like I've been bit by the iPhone bug.
I would suggest that if you do decide to get an iPhone, do try n stretch for the 5S 32GB version. I am using one which is a work phone, and quite happy with it.

5C to me feels somewhat unlike an iPhone, as the plastic body doesnt impress me as such. As for the 4S, although its not a bad device, its just that you may later feel you should have gotten the 5 and above.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:33   #7639
Senior - BHPian

I am contemplating a phone upgrade and was going over the SAR values of the phones. iPhone values seems to be on the higher side in all comparisons. Anyone here feel any effects during prolonged use or know of any justification from Apple side?
Old 24th March 2015, 13:27   #7640
BHPian

Quote:

-But is 4S still worth going for? I've got a friend who's using a two year old 4S and it's still in mint condition.

-And about the 5C, the plastic feel lacks the premium looks of the 4S/5S and hence the ambiguity.

iPhone users kindly mention the pros and cons of the same, so that I can come to a conclusion whether or not to buy one.
IF you can't stretch you budget for a 5S, only then look at 5C. Won't suggest 4S as it is outdated, and iOS 8 does not work as smoothly on it.

On the plastic bit, if you are gonna keep it in a case, which I suggest you do, then not much is visible.

On repair, well that depends on the damage, and then it doesn't matter if it's a 4S or 5C or 5S!
Old 24th March 2015, 19:12   #7641
BHPian

Just checked on Amazon for 5s prices. Strangely, 5s 32 GB is cheaper than 16 GB.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-apple-amazon-price-difference-capture.jpg  

Old 24th March 2015, 19:51   #7642
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I recommend the 4S 32 GB - its been working beautifully for me for around 3 years now.
I would also recommend the 5S 32 GB and definitely NOT 5C - in this, C stands for Cheap, in my opinion.

Quote:
Seems like I've been bit by the iPhone bug.

Old 24th March 2015, 20:20   #7643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4S was good, but its already 3 generations old. Compared to that, I would recommend the 5C but only if you are ok with the minuscule 8GB storage. All it can take in would be a few basic apps and some photos. A plastic panel for Apple may sound bad, but its actually pretty good quality and feels premium compared to many other brands out there.

As other have suggested, if you want to get into iOS now, ideal would be to start with the 5S.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:36   #7644
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I expect from my phones is a total lag free operation, user friendliness and reliability rather than a plethora of customization options.
Then you've come to the right place (thread)! An iPhone would suit your needs perfectly.

Quote:
This is the bad thing about Apple - their latest models happen to be very expensive. The 4S has a tiny 3.5" screen and the 5, 5C & 5S are only slightly better with 4" of display. None of them have an HD display.

The 6 (4.7" HD) and 6+ (5.5" full HD) are so much better in the display department (& other areas too), but they are priced very high.

Quote:
Yes, that happens to be one of Apple's strengths. My 4S is 3+ years old now. If I take it out of its case & clean it, it looks as good as new.

Other advantages of the 4S:

-> It is tough and sturdy. The 4S is not something that would fail the (in)famous bend test. I use only an inexpensive Amzer protective back case now (& another cheap one that got worn out before this) and the 4S has taken plenty of falls and drops in its stride without a murmur of protest.

-> Call quality is very good.

-> Speaker sound quality and cameras are good enough - no complaints at all.

Disadvantages:

-> The display, as I mentioned earlier. It's like a Lilliputian when compared to the extra large screened phones which have become the norm today.

-> It is heavy compared to today's smartphones.

-> The latest versions of iOS have slowed down the phone a bit. It's still quite smooth, but not as snappy as it was on older iOS versions. The 512 MB RAM is the culprit here, I guess.

-> The battery life has shortened considerably, but I guess it's because my phone is old now. In any case, battery life was never a 4S strength. One has to keep things like Bluetooth and 3G switched off as far as possible to extract maximum juice out of the battery.

In short, if you're looking for a phone with Apple's quality & ecosystem that functions more as a smartphone and less as a phablet, the 4S is the one for you. It may disappoint you otherwise.

Last edited by RSR : 24th March 2015 at 20:59.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:55   #7645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I would suggest that if you do decide to get an iPhone, do try n stretch for the 5S 32GB version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
IF you can't stretch you budget for a 5S, only then look at 5C. Won't suggest 4S as it is outdated, and iOS 8 does not work as smoothly on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would also recommend the 5S 32 GB and definitely NOT 5C - in this, C stands for Cheap, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As other have suggested, if you want to get into iOS now, ideal would be to start with the 5S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
In short, if you're looking for a smartphone that functions more as a quality phone and less as a phablet, the 4S is the one for you. It may disappoint you otherwise.
Thank you guys for pitching in your honest opinions. Seems like I'll have to start saving for a 5S. Being a guy who earns just 40k/month, spending the same amount on a phone at once sounds too lavish
Old 24th March 2015, 22:15   #7646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for pitching in your honest opinions. Seems like I'll have to start saving for a 5S. Being a guy who earns just 40k/month, spending the same amount on a phone at once sounds too lavish
With due respect, then no point spending that much money on a phone. Whats wrong in a more reasonable phone like the MotoG2 or the Zenfone 5? (11/8k respectively).

Its just a phone - a depreciating well used asset, but not an investment for God's sakes.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:35   #7647
Senior - BHPian

RiGOD- Get the 5C only if you're ok with the 8gb storage. I picked it up for my dad to see if he like iOS and in a week's time the phone had ran out of storage. A few videos (720p) and photos is all it takes.
If you're ok with that,its an excellent phone. It feels way better built than any other phone in the market,save for the 5s,6 and HTC phones. It definitely doesn't feel cheap at all. I updated it to the latest 8.2 version which runs absolutely fine,no lag at all.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:51   #7648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Whats wrong in a more reasonable phone like the MotoG2 or the Zenfone 5? (11/8k respectively).
Well, not a big fan of Android mate. Right now I'm using a Lumia 730 and am perfectly happy with it. It's just the heart v/s head game with the iPhone and I know that anybody who thinks in a perfect rational manner would (almost) never go for one. Many have said that it has to be bought with the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
It feels way better built than any other phone in the market,save for the 5s,6 and HTC phones. It definitely doesn't feel cheap at all. I updated it to the latest 8.2 version which runs absolutely fine,no lag at all.
Thanks for the input mate. Will surely look into it
Old 24th March 2015, 23:14   #7649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
With due respect, then no point spending that much money on a phone.

Its just a phone - a depreciating well used asset, but not an investment for God's sakes.
I used to think this way too. I lost my Nokia E71 & bought myself an iPhone 4 in 2010. Lasted me a glorious 4 years, still in working condition - use it as an iPod now at home.

Now upgraded to iPhone 6+ and intend to keep it 4+ years unless I lose it. Once you use an iPhone, you are hooked.
Old 25th March 2015, 00:32   #7650
BHPian

I need help with iPhone 6. Issue is internet connectivity. Wifi connectivity is perfect it is only when using 3G via sim, ie OTA data connectivity.

Now I thought it is the IP address which is creating an issues, like sometimes laptop when connected to two different connectivity source, one after another, there is a lag, it wont latch to the new until you restart flushing the old IP. In this case from Wifi to Sim.

Or is there any way out like a free App (yes sorry) for Data connection stabilizer and booster.

I see tons for Android, will appreciate any pointers for iPhone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks