Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 11:42   #7666
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Thank you Amanomics, Reverse_gear and 1lokesh.

Update as of today,
  • To do Service Center visit for demo of same sim in another phone.
  • Last time Service Center said its BSNL which is the issue, so another brand sim along as well.
  • The present phone (Gold) is also a new replacement, as 1st buy developed battery issue, same service center.
  • Like the tilting of Bajaj scooter, this phone seems to catch internet connectivity occasionally with the airplane on off method. But speed is an issue as compared to other brand phone.
  • Whats app gets some messages on 3G when latched ( I think Whats app is a push type app like BB).
  • Yes it does wear a silicone jacket, but even without it, is same.

Thanks for helping.
May be following can help:

- update to iOS 8.2
- go to Settings -> Cellular -> Voice & Data -> Select 3G (and NOT LTE and/or 2G)

May be its trying to latch on to LTE and BSNL for one is know to have this bug activated for LTE while all their service is capable of is 3G
Old 2nd April 2015, 04:52   #7667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Don't worry, my more than 2-years old, out of warranty, iPhone 5 was replaced just last week for the same issue.
Just take a backup & drop your iPhone off at the nearest Apple iCare center.
You should receive your replacement iPhone in 2 to 4 days - free of cost.
My experience below...

Thanks Srini for the response. I have a couple of problems:
1. I bought my iphone in US. iCare guy told me that Apple wouldn't even do a paid service😱 in India
2. My serial number is not covered under battery replacement program
3. Iphone is out of warranty now

Fortunately, I need to go on a biz trip to US soon. I can get my phone fixed in US
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:39   #7668
BHPian

Has anyone noticed the iP6 speaker volume has reduced in 8.2. When I bought it, the speaker volume was really loud, crisp and boomy, but now its puny :(
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:48   #7669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Has anyone noticed the iP6 speaker volume has reduced in 8.2. When I bought it, the speaker volume was really loud, crisp and boomy, but now its puny :(

I havent noticed any major difference in sound as such. Probably because i use bluetooth speakers everywhere, but, I just checked the phone speaker and it sounds fine enough for a mono speaker.

This does remind me of my old android though, I had an HTC One with Beats Audio. The music quality was absolutely amazing earlier, but was reduced later to improve speaker life
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:09   #7670
BHPian

Does anybody have an issue with the lightning cable on the iphone 5s?
The cable looks OK but it no longer charges.

Any suggestion on buying an alternate cable?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:03   #7671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Does anybody have an issue with the lightning cable on the iphone 5s?.

Any suggestion on buying an alternate cable?!

There are lots of Belkin knock off cables on flipkart and Snapdeal
I had bought from both the sites and they work just fine.
Old 4th April 2015, 02:07   #7672
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
There are lots of Belkin knock off cables on flipkart and Snapdeal
I had bought from both the sites and they work just fine.
I bought an ANKER lightning cable from Amazon.com (my cousin carried it to India) these are high quality with great build, have been using them for about 2 months now and no complaints so far. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Anke...8093150&sr=1-3
Old 4th April 2015, 08:00   #7673
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

So I got the iPhone 6 off of Amazon.in
Fulfilled by Amazon and supplied by Croma Retail.

Ordered on 31st March.
Delivery promise 6th April
Actual arrival at home in a completely seamless manner on 3rd April.

Migration from iPhone 4S to iPhone 6 achieved painlessly through the iCloud. Beautifully synced across all the devices...Mac Air, iPad etc.

Keeping my iPhone 4S alive by placing another SIM in it - it is a venerable Classic now and probably the most iconic iPhone that Apple ever made.

While the 6 is larger it is very easy to get used to - no trouble at all...
If at all there is a doubt, it is that while my phone is the 64 GB variant, it shows the effective available space (when it was started up for the first time itself) as 55.91GB.
Any reason why almost 9 GB is gone?

Anyway, 64GB is quite a lot overall so I am looking forward to another long innings with the 6!
Old 4th April 2015, 08:57   #7674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Actual arrival at home in a completely seamless manner on 3rd April.
Congratulations!
We also got our iPhone 6 (for wifey) yesterday

Mused between 6 and 6 plus for a while, and finally got the 6. The plus felt more closer to the iPad mini than a phone whereas the 6 is great to hold and comfortable for one-handed operation.

What we got is the 16GB variant as wifey don’t go heavy on apps and is quite diligent in transferring photos to the Mac regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
If at all there is a doubt, it is that while my phone is the 64 GB variant, it shows the effective available space (when it was started up for the first time itself) as 55.91GB.

Anyway, 64GB is quite a lot overall so I am looking forward to another long innings with the 6!
Missing 9 GB sounds strange. I just checked on our phone; out of the 16 GB, 12 GB is shown available (9GB free, and 3GB used for apps and photos).

The iPhone Thread-11106404_10152822619802825_1602686285_n.jpg
Old 4th April 2015, 09:26   #7675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Keeping my iPhone 4S alive by placing another SIM in it - it is a venerable Classic now and probably the most iconic iPhone that Apple ever made!
I have a 4s and I hate it. Might never choose Apple again.

It overheats almost to the point of burning the finger while using 3G, and network keeps dropping (even when on calls) all the time while in 3G mode. Handles 2G a lot better though. The only main positive about it IMO is the solid fit and finish of the hardware. Will need to upgrade soon as mine is an 8GB and I'm almost stuck with the firmware now, with every update asking for more and more download space.

Congrats on the 6. What are the main advantages you feel when compared to the 4s? Also - are you happy with the build quality as compared to the 4s?
Old 4th April 2015, 09:51   #7676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

It overheats almost to the point of burning the finger while using 3G, and network keeps dropping (even when on calls) all the time while in 3G mode. Handles 2G a lot better though. The only main positive about it IMO is the solid fit and finish of the hardware. Will need to upgrade soon as mine is an 8GB and I'm almost stuck with the firmware now, with every update asking for more and more download space.

Congrats on the 6. What are the main advantages you feel when compared to the 4s? Also - are you happy with the build quality as compared to the 4s?

The 4S heating problem is a known issue. Just google and you will find a solution. For me it was a simple fix - clearing the mail cache
Old 4th April 2015, 10:24   #7677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is that while my phone is the 64 GB variant, it shows the effective available space (when it was started up for the first time itself) as 55.91GB.
The calculation done by apple(or any comapany for that matter) is through decimal points 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes

The software calculates it as 1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes

64,000,000,000 bytes = 64GB
64,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 bytes = 59.6046... GB

hence the reduced space while formating the storage. Its there with all storage devices.

Also the 64GB version of iphone comes preloaded with many apps like pages, numbers etc. That also takes more space. iOS 8.2 should take 3gb if i am not wrong.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 4th April 2015 at 10:33.
Old 4th April 2015, 10:56   #7678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I don’t remember having this overheating issue with the 4S, or the models before or after that. And we are always on the highest connectivity option available (e.g.; always on 4G now).

With just one day of playing around with the 6, I can say that the build quality still feels solid – exactly what is expected from an iPhone. Have been through two generations between the 4S and 6, but can list down a few observations:
  • Initially I thought it’s a sacrilege to make the iPhone bigger, but now when compared to the 5S, the 6 look to be the perfect size. Overall the phone feels nice and sleek to hold, and now when I look at the 4 inch screen on the 5S, it looks a bit too crowded.
  • You will see drastic improvement in speed and responsiveness compared to the 4S. Infact the iPad mini now feels super slow compared to the 6.
  • The camera is pretty awesome. It maybe just 8MP, but one of the best in business IMO. And it has got a lot more options compared to the 4S.
  • Apple has improved on usability with the new model. The touch id is useful, and even more useful is the feature of app icons coming down with a single tap on the home button. A very neat feature for those who find it difficult to reach the top of the screen.

If you plan to upgrade to another iPhone, I would suggest the same as what Shankar got – 6 with 64GB, especially if you have a tendency to go heavy on apps.

I recently moved to a LG G3. It was initially planned as a backup phone, but found it pretty nice and decided to keep it as the primary phone. It gave me the same solid feel I used to get with the iOS interface, and actually have much more minor but useful features in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Also the 64GB version of iphone comes preloaded with many apps like pages, numbers etc. That also takes more space. iOS 8.2 should take 3gb if i am not wrong.
Oh yes, that could be the reason then. Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand etc. occupies large amount of space
Old 4th April 2015, 16:44   #7679
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
For lightning cable Bandridge brand (Dutch) is best, but costly.
costs 1499 and is available @amazon.in for Rs 999
Old 4th April 2015, 21:56   #7680
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

If you can, try to get kaebo Lightning cable http://junopower.com/products/kaebo-...phone-gunmetal

It is very durable and I have been using one since man months now, whereas the original one lasts just for 3-4 months for me.

Most Viewed