Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 20:27   #8596
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Has anyone purchased a mophie space pack in india? any reviews and pointers on where to buy? Thanks!
Old 12th February 2016, 13:04   #8597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
After reading another trash android vs iOS comparison blog, I decided to put up my own experience. Hope it is useful to anyone considering iOS in the future!
http://freerider.in/blog/six-months-...-with-android/
Great comparison, As I recently moved from android to Iphone, every problem I have been facing has been beautifully laid out.

One more annoying thing which I felt is the lack of BACK button. Every time I have to go to the top of the app to go to back ( I know swipe from left to right works) but not as comfy as a dedicated back button. Bluetooth present, But cant share photos over bluetooth
Old 12th February 2016, 15:56   #8598
BHPian

Hi guys. I'm looking for a nice tempered glass and have seen these three. Any idea which one I should go for?
1.http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01A59I...npL&ref=plSrch

2.https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=252265668547

3.https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161848939515

The back tempered glass is not necessary but would be nice to have.

Recently bought this case - http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B010MVJ...=Spigen+iPhone

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th February 2016, 16:21   #8599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Hi guys. I'm looking for a nice tempered glass and have seen these three. Any idea which one I should go for?
1.http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01A59I...npL&ref=plSrch

2.https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=252265668547

3.https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161848939515

The back tempered glass is not necessary but would be nice to have.

Recently bought this case - http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B010MVJ...=Spigen+iPhone

Thanks in advance.
i've the same Spigen case and i use this tempered glass: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00Z...ilpage_o05_s00.
Old 12th February 2016, 17:26   #8600
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know of a fix for a brand new iPhone 5s that refuses to charge? It's a common complaint apparently, unfortunately the nearest service is 70km away. Not too happy with the device that is hyped to have high performance and exceptional reliability unlike android, haven't faced this issue with any of my android phones. Its not been used at all and is updated with the latest ios version.
Old 12th February 2016, 17:44   #8601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Does anyone know of a fix for a brand new iPhone 5s that refuses to charge? It's a common complaint apparently,
Haven't come across any one with a similar problem. Must be a problem with the charger / the charging port.

Please get it checked.

Else try to charge it via USB port in a laptop / personal computer.

You can do a soft reset and see if it helps. Depress Home button & Power Key at the same time > release when the Apple Logo appears

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th February 2016 at 17:48.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:18   #8602
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know of a fix for a brand new iPhone 5s that refuses to charge?
Try a different cable, if you've not done that already.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:35   #8603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Haven't come across any one with a similar problem. Must be a problem with the charger / the charging port.

Please get it checked.

Else try to charge it via USB port in a laptop / personal computer.

You can do a soft reset and see if it helps. Depress Home button & Power Key at the same time > release when the Apple Logo appears
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Try a different cable, if you've not done that already.
Its a brand new one and we don't have a spare cable lying around, it's the first idevice and it's been a damp squib. It charged once and after the ios update, nothing happens when you connect to the charger.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:56   #8604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It charged once and after the ios update, nothing happens when you connect to the charger.
If your iPhone's battery is at 0%, please note that it will take 2-3minutes before it shows 'charging'.
Old 12th February 2016, 20:54   #8605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
If your iPhone's battery is at 0%, please note that it will take 2-3minutes before it shows 'charging'.
The phone charged fully without any issue, I set it up with a new id and then updated to the latest os version. It refused to charge after that, it's an Australia market piece, given as a gift, no warranty in India. Luckily my mother had an older windows phone which is working without any fuss.
Old 12th February 2016, 21:00   #8606
BHPian

Quote:
The phone charged fully without any issue, I set it up with a new id and then updated to the latest os version. It refused to charge after that, it's an Australia market piece, given as a gift, no warranty in India. Luckily my mother had an older windows phone which is working without any fuss.

Sir, the battery has failed. I had the same problem with my 5S. Battery conked off immediately after update. If you know any repair stores, local ones, give it in. Cost should be <1500 including diagnosis if i am right. Actual battery cost is 700 approx.
Old 12th February 2016, 22:02   #8607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Sir, the battery has failed. I had the same problem with my 5S. Battery conked off immediately after update. If you know any repair stores, local ones, give it in. Cost should be <1500 including diagnosis if i am right. Actual battery cost is 700 approx.
I just read somewhere recently that Apple has made the iphone in such a way that if it's repaired by un-authorized service centers there is a chance that the phone can get bricked. It was specifically related to changing display's, not sure if it's the same for changing batteries. Do confirm.
Old 12th February 2016, 22:07   #8608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I just read somewhere recently that Apple has made the iphone in such a way that if it's repaired by un-authorized service centers there is a chance that the phone can get bricked. It was specifically related to changing display's, not sure if it's the same for changing batteries. Do confirm.
My sister (who is not very techy, but loves DIY since she is a designer) managed to replace the battery on a 5S by ordering the kit from ebay and did it at home. With the right tools, it takes less than 5 minutes to replace the battery, and less than 15 minutes for the display. My uncle also got his iphone 6 display replaced (at a tiny store in Thailand) for less than 4k rupees for just the glass. Apple USA quoted 220 dollars for the job.

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 12th February 2016 at 22:10. Reason: Missed details
Old 12th February 2016, 22:22   #8609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
My sister (who is not very techy, but loves DIY since she is a designer) managed to replace the battery on a 5S by ordering the kit from ebay and did it at home. With the right tools, it takes less than 5 minutes to replace the battery, and less than 15 minutes for the display. My uncle also got his iphone 6 display replaced (at a tiny store in Thailand) for less than 4k rupees for just the glass. Apple USA quoted 220 dollars for the job.

I had replaced both battery and display unit on my iPh4 in the past. The battery connector pins are very thin and break easily. And if that happens, then the only option is getting a new motherboard and that is next to impossible. So, I would rather suggest you to approach some service guys to do this for you. And the bricking error you have referred here is known as error 53 and this happens when fingerprint sensor is replaced. This was introduced by Apple with a view to avoid hijacking sensitive data including Apple Pay when sensor is replaced. Instead of just disabling fingerprint sensor, the Apple was over cautious in bricking the phone completely. I sincerely hope they reverse this in their future releases of iOS.
Old 13th February 2016, 06:41   #8610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
After reading another trash android vs iOS comparison blog, I decided to put up my own experience. Hope it is useful to anyone considering iOS in the future!
http://freerider.in/blog/six-months-...-with-android/
Two negatives which I can think of [not negative but maybe a quirk]

If the phone is switched off and you plug it to a charger, it switches itself on. For first few attempts I was like Something bad happened to my iPhone But realized it is a quirk.

You can't check if the phone is completely charged or not if the phone is switched off & is charging.

I switch off my phone every night

Most Viewed