Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 10:09   #8716
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

After using a Nokia Lumia phone all these years, I am finally tempted to buy an I phone after looking at the adv in recent newspaper. Infibeam is offering 5 s at Rs 17499.

I am really so confused whether to give it to my temptation or not. All these years I have only dreamt of buying an iPhone but could never actually dare to buy it as it comes at a premium cost. Since Nokia Lumia is a very reliable device I never thought to replace it with any Android. Personally I don't like Android phones.

So friends would be it be a wise decision to buy iphone 5s at this point of time? Because after every price cuts has strong reason. I guess 5s is not that old and I don't think there will be more price cuts from here. I don't think it wil be come below 15 K ever.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:51   #8717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
So friends would be it be a wise decision to buy iphone 5s at this point of time? Because after every price cuts has strong reason. I guess 5s is not that old and I don't think there will be more price cuts from here. I don't think it wil be come below 15 K ever.
Absolutely no issue buying a 5s; just that, wait for a week or so. As discussed below, a price correction is expected.
Old 18th March 2016, 10:51   #8718
BHPian

Quote:
Infibeam is offering 5 s at Rs 17499.

I am really so confused whether to give it to my temptation or not. All these years I have only dreamt of buying an iPhone but could never actually dare to buy it as it comes at a premium cost. Since Nokia Lumia is a very reliable device I never thought to replace it with any Android. Personally I don't like Android phones.

Sounds very much like me! Just know one thing mate, an iPhone is to be bought with the heart's consent, never that of the brain's. And it's clear as daylight that your heart needs it badly

17.5k for a premium piece like 5s is really VFM IMHO. But make up your mind to live with the smaller screen and limited storage but I'm sure as hell that the flawless performance and pristine quality will make up for the above mentioned stuff. Or else, wait another 6-8 months and grab the 6 for ~26k.

And yeah, never ever look to the Android territory
Old 18th March 2016, 11:00   #8719
BHPian

Quote:
After using a Nokia Lumia phone all these years, I am finally tempted to buy an I phone after looking at the adv in recent newspaper. Infibeam is offering 5 s at Rs 17499..
I already jumped in it and bought it for 19.5 K from amazon about 10 days back. No repentance with the phone, but could have waited for a few days.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:28   #8720
BHPian

Thank you all guys for "Provoking" me and for "Adding Fuel" to my dream for getting iPhone

I always used to wonder what's the difference between and iphone user and and non iphone user. Frankly I am stilling feeling shy to own it as I have never bought a phone beyond Rs 12 k price tag and I feel iPhone is something which is out of reach of a common man! The costliest phone I had ever bought was Nokia 6300 the time it was launched @12 k and I happily bought it at premium price when Nokia was the leader in India.

Now coming back to the user's experience I would like to know what I would be missing after migrating from windows platform to iOS? I have already adapted myself well in windows. I am sure I will be getting access to more applications in iOS. I was actually looking for windows 10 update in my Nokia Lumia 630 but then it has been delayed so much that I no more care about it that much. But still would like to know which is better Windows 10 or iOS compatible with iPhone 5?
Old 21st March 2016, 22:57   #8721
Senior - BHPian

Since this is the iPhone thread adding this bit of information here instead of creating a new thread.

Apple is launching a new phone, iPhone SE aimed primarily at emerging markets. The rumored specs are as below
  • 4 inch screen
  • A9 chipset
  • Touch ID, fingerprint sensor and NFC
  • 12 MP camera + Support for 4k videos
  • No 3d touch
  • 2 storage options

Source :
1. NDTV

2. TOI
Old 22nd March 2016, 07:23   #8722
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all guys for "Provoking" me and for "Adding Fuel" to my dream for getting iPhone

Now coming back to the user's experience I would like to know what I would be missing after migrating from windows platform to iOS? I have already adapted myself well in windows. I am sure I will be getting access to more applications in iOS. I was actually looking for windows 10 update in my Nokia Lumia 630 but then it has been delayed so much that I no more care about it that much. But still would like to know which is better Windows 10 or iOS compatible with iPhone 5?
I am not too familiar with windows 10 but I have used my wife's lumia (625) quite a bit. She moved to iOS recently after 2+ years on Windows and never complained once. It's another fact that she didn't complain much about the Lumia too except when it used to disconnect from WiFi automatically or shut itself down. Though windows has a good coverage in terms of apps used by normal users, I believe the features and updates are not comparable with either iPhone or Android. But you should also be aware that the memory and processor requirements for most apps are increasing by day. Look at your app usage requirements and decide if your buy would be future proof. If you are a light user of apps, you can go for it I guess. Personally I am comfortable with all three user interfaces, so I believe you can adapt to any of them though Android lets us customize it heavily.
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:47   #8723
BHPian

Quote:
Now coming back to the user's experience I would like to know what I would be missing after migrating from windows platform to iOS?
There will be no issue. I bought a iphone 3GS, the day it was launched and used it for a couple of years. Post that i have used two phones always, one with dual sim and one with single sim, the one with single sim is always a blackberry as i am a fan of the Hub.

For last two years used a Nokia Lumia which was used till 6 months back and presently i have a Blackberry and Moto G.

Can work seamlessly on any device and generally there is no issue at all. So i have used all kinds of phones in last 5 years and have had not face any problem.

A caveat. I am talking of normal usage like mails, office documents, whats app, Facebook. linked in etc. etc. If you are a gamer and heavy app user then i have no idea.

In case you make up your mind to buy an iPhone, as already recommended, wait till the small iPhone 6 is launched. It has amazing specs and you will love the experience. It will be worth the wait.
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:59   #8724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post

In case you make up your mind to buy an iPhone, as already recommended, wait till the small iPhone 6 is launched.
They have named it the iPhone SE. Same body as iPhone 5/5s with the innards of the 6S.
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:25   #8725
Team-BHP Support

So with the SE, they discontinued both 5S and 5C.
In the Singapore Apple store, its only 6s, 6 and SE now!
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:48   #8726
Team-BHP Support

Just downloaded iOS 9.3 on my 6. The only two noticeable changes are:
- Night Shift (under Display & Brightness): I have set that to sunrise to sunset to I think it'll automatically change the display based on my phone's location
- Ability to Passcode for individual apps (Notes) and restrict view for Notifications/Siri etc. on Locked screen

Not that incremental, unless Night Shift is a big deal.
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:19   #8727
Distinguished - BHPian

I love my iPhone. I have an iPhone 6S and yesterday I also got a 6S Plus.
Because of my work I always carry multiple devices and I also like this sort of stuff.

One thing that I really like is how I can backup my phone on my MacBook Pro and iCloud. I use that to install all my apps, photograph settings and everything on a new phone.

I have a lot of stuff on any of my devices and it took close to 2.5 hours before the new phone was ready to go. But everything is on it, including every setting, passwords etc. The only thing I needed to redo where a few very specific security certificates. Very convenient!

Through iCloud all my various apple devices are in continuous sync. In all honesty I dont know how this works on Android or other OS phones, but at least on all the Apple devices it works very well and I find it hugely convenient.

Jeroen
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:52   #8728
Team-BHP Support

I would have been in a depression had the design changed of the SE. Now, I know, which phone to upgrade to. The design is 11/10 and size is perfect.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:43   #8729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would have been in a depression had the design changed of the SE. Now, I know, which phone to upgrade to. The design is 11/10 and size is perfect.
True. I just love the way it looks. Well, the same

It's like a Octavia Rider 1.8 TPi with Pete's stage 2 upgrades. Absolutely love the SE.

But wonder, if it makes sense to swap my 5S with SE or to add one to the fleet.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:48   #8730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

But wonder, if it makes sense to swap my 5S with SE or to add one to the fleet.
Any info on price? I too am thinking but then, I am just so satisfied with my current phone that I am not bothering.

Do know, it will be an upgrade on all counts. Maybe will pass on my 5S to wife

Most Viewed