Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 15:44   #8791
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
I've had this case since the first day and a few drops later, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to you mate
And do get the full-screen MTT tempered glass screen protector as well.
My sister went to a local shopping centre & bought a cover for me for 150 bucks which is somewhat similar to Spigen. And for her own iPhone she bought cover worth 350 bucks.
She infact bought 6 covers+scratch guard+selfie stick for a grand total of 2k.
But still i'm a bit wary of those covers considering its the most expensive i've bought so wouldn't mind splurging a bit more for something like the one below but can't seem to find it for the 6s , the below case is for the 6s plus.

http://www.amazon.in/iPhone-Spigen%C...1-bbdcb9e73ee4

Btw, will the Apple store have the tempered glass at their store? And if so which brand?
Old 1st April 2016, 15:56   #8792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
My sister went to a local shopping centre & bought a cover for me for 150 bucks which is somewhat similar to Spigen. And for her own iPhone she bought cover worth 350 bucks.
But still i'm a bit wary of those covers considering its the most expensive i've bought so wouldn't mind splurging a bit more for something like the one below but can't seem to find it for the 6s , the below case is for the 6s plus.

http://www.amazon.in/iPhone-Spigen%C...1-bbdcb9e73ee4

Btw, will the Apple store have the tempered glass at their store? And if so which brand?
The dimensions of the 6 and the 6s are nearly the same.
Hence, this case fits perfectly on my 6s:
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00J...f_rd_i=desktop

Its the one I have on my phone.

Also, Apple would surely have screen protectors at the store, but why look there when you can buy this one instead?:
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B015...f_rd_i=desktop

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 1st April 2016, 19:20   #8793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Apple stores have tempered glass. Here in Bangalore, it costs 1500/-. Brand I am not sure but you can get the MTT from Amazon for almost half the price. And the MTT has been tested by one of the members where it has protected the screen though the tempered glass shattered and took the brunt. So MTT should be a good buy.
Old 1st April 2016, 20:27   #8794
Team-BHP Support

Wifey accidentally dropped her iPhone 6 in water. The phone had the flashlight on for a while and was heating up excessively for a while, and then dead. Any chance of recovery?

And if no chance of recovery, it will be phone shopping in the weekend. For my current phone plan, I can get a 6s or 6 plus (both 16GB) at a nominal cost. Is it really worth going for the 6s over the regular 6 plus?
Old 1st April 2016, 20:49   #8795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Wifey accidentally dropped her iPhone 6 in water. The phone had the flashlight on for a while and was heating up excessively for a while, and then dead. Any chance of recovery?

And if no chance of recovery, it will be phone shopping in the weekend. For my current phone plan, I can get a 6s or 6 plus (both 16GB) at a nominal cost. Is it really worth going for the 6s over the regular 6 plus?
Is it under warranty? Do take it to Apple care, sometimes they are generous & replace it anyway. If not under warranty, try to take it to one of the non-Apple mobile repair shops, worth a try.

Yes, 6S is definitely better than 6 plus & worth it.
Old 1st April 2016, 20:52   #8796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6s has a better processor and more RAM compared to 6/6+. If the extra screen space is not needed, then 6s would be a good choice. The A9 chip has the best performance to date beating some of the Android flagship chips on most synthetic benchmark tests.

I am guessing it is very hard to recover a water damaged phone if it is not switching on. If you want to try risking an un-authorized repair shop you can take your chances. Else best to get it replaced.
Old 1st April 2016, 21:17   #8797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Is it under warranty? Do take it to Apple care, sometimes they are generous & replace it anyway. If not under warranty, try to take it to one of the non-Apple mobile repair shops, worth a try.

Yes, 6S is definitely better than 6 plus & worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I am guessing it is very hard to recover a water damaged phone if it is not switching on. If you want to try risking an un-authorized repair shop you can take your chances. Else best to get it replaced.
Thank you both!

I think its just into its 12th month and hence should be under warranty, but not sure if they replace a water-damaged iPhone; can give a try.
Old 1st April 2016, 21:43   #8798
BHPian

Quote:

Try for warranty. If they don't accept, go for the 6s 64gb version. 16gb is apple's business strategy and thats the reason they skip 32gb. Few photos,music and 5-7 apps, 16 gb is gone. Size of apps are huge these days ( Facebook is whooping 600mb with some data ). So, if its just for calling, light browsing and few pics then go for 16gb. Else 6s 64gb is the best choice.
Old 1st April 2016, 23:19   #8799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both!

I think its just into its 12th month and hence should be under warranty, but not sure if they replace a water-damaged iPhone; can give a try.
My phone was slightly water-soaked (leaked water bottle) for over 4 hours and the screen had lines on it. Rice treatment and two days later its perfect. only a slight slanted ghost line on the screen to show for the faux pas.
Old 2nd April 2016, 01:37   #8800
BHPian

Old 2nd April 2016, 05:16   #8801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
Try for warranty. If they don't accept, go for the 6s 64gb version. 16gb is apple's business strategy and thats the reason they skip 32gb. Few photos,music and 5-7 apps, 16 gb is gone. Size of apps are huge these days ( Facebook is whooping 600mb with some data ). So, if its just for calling, light browsing and few pics then go for 16gb. Else 6s 64gb is the best choice.
Thank you! Its my wife's phone and she has been going happy with 16GB - its normally Facebook, Whatsapp, Wordpress, Instagram and a few other apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My phone was slightly water-soaked (leaked water bottle) for over 4 hours and the screen had lines on it. Rice treatment and two days later its perfect. only a slight slanted ghost line on the screen to show for the faux pas.
Thank you... This was fully in water, and in panic she did not remove the back cover. Anyway, its in the rice bag from yesterday night
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:28   #8802
BHPian

The ricebag and similar trick don't really work. If the water has touched the innards, be assured that your phone is going to die a slow death. If you can open the phone within a few hours and manage to blow dry it after opening it completely, then water corroding pcb and other parts is minimised, else you can play the wait and watch game. Even if the phone restarts, sell it off ( full disclosure is expected:-) ) and get a new one.
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:31   #8803
BHPian

Quote:

http://www.amazon.in/iPhone-Spigen%C2%AE-ALUMINUM-BUMPER-Premium/dp/B00NCF7TIG?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=c33bac66-7416-48a7-8471-bbdcb9e73ee4

You are better off buying it on ebay or amazon. For a good case suggestion, similar to Spigen is the Ringke Hybrid fusion. I am using a clear Ringke and the protection is top class. And I need solid protection to protect my phone from my 2 year old, who is a riot and abuses the phone if she lays her hand on it.

http://www.amazon.in/Rearth-Protecti...7-d9039223e844
Old 2nd April 2016, 16:49   #8804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The ricebag and similar trick don't really work. If the water has touched the innards, be assured that your phone is going to die a slow death. If you can open the phone within a few hours and manage to blow dry it after opening it completely, then water corroding pcb and other parts is minimised
I thought iphone 6 is not openable?! Mine wasnt!

The "trick" works. Going strong for 2.5 months - touchwood.

yes, the telltale signs are visible so any buyer can see for him/herself.

Quote:
Thank you! Its my wife's phone and she has been going happy with 16GB - its normally Facebook, Whatsapp, Wordpress, Instagram and a few other apps.

Thank you... This was fully in water, and in panic she did not remove the back cover. Anyway, its in the rice bag from yesterday night
iPhone has no openable back cover. Two things:
a. cover the headphone jack and the lightning connector. rice should not get in there.
b. polished rice >>>> unpolished. the latter has too much husk (?) / powder which can get inside the phone.
Old 2nd April 2016, 16:57   #8805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I thought iphone 6 is not openable?! Mine wasnt!

The "trick" works. Going strong for 2.5 months - touchwood.

yes, the telltale signs are visible so any buyer can see for him/herself.

iPhone has no openable back cover. Two things:
a. cover the headphone jack and the lightning connector. rice should not get in there.
b. polished rice >>>> unpolished. the latter has too much husk (?) / powder which can get inside the phone.

Rush to a repair guy, they manage to pop open the iphones back cover in under a minute.
Phone needs to be disassembled and then put in rice.
If you did get through anyway, water didnt seep in deep enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks