Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:14   #8911
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
No, Do not share little more but share the complete details
Haha alright. Yes it is a DIY job. The only thing you need to do is order light mod kit from ebay. Tools are provided with the kit itself, so you have to follow step by step guide and viola. It's not rocket science, just you have to be careful for that.

Can I create a dedicated thread for the same? Actually I'm new on the forum so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
It is a DIY mod kit available online, not sure about india though.
Id done it on my old iphone 4S. Should be available on amazon USA for under 20 USD + shipping along with all the tools required to perform the DIY.
You can get it in India too. And it's available for $68 with shipping and if someone can bring it for you then it's for $38. The kit includes a light logo and all the required tools to perform this mod. It's good that you have done in 4S.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd May 2016 at 21:31. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.hanks.
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:10   #8912
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I think after a certain number of posts you will get that privilege, to start new threads that is. Look it up in the rules section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Can I create a dedicated thread for the same? Actually I'm new on the forum so.
Old 24th May 2016, 10:15   #8913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Option is
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Hi, go to settings. Scroll down to mail, contacts and calendars. Select the desired email id and turn contacts on. It'll sync.
Got it! Many thanks for this! The turning on 'Contacts' option under Gmail is very easy!
Old 24th May 2016, 10:15   #8914
Senior - BHPian

hi all , anyone has experience of buying iPhone from PAYTM ? they are running a good deal of 5k off on 6 64gb today. Also would like to know how is the battery performance of iPhone 6 as compared to 6s and flagship android phone.

PS i have not used any iPhone till date , just thinking of giving it a try cause iam bored to android now.it just not appealing any more.
Old 24th May 2016, 11:10   #8915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
hi all , anyone has experience of buying iPhone from PAYTM ? they are running a good deal of 5k off on 6 64gb today. Also would like to know how is the battery performance of iPhone 6 as compared to 6s and flagship android phone.

PS i have not used any iPhone till date , just thinking of giving it a try cause iam bored to android now.it just not appealing any more.
A bunch of people ordered from paytm; I don't think anyone had any issues.

The battery on the Plus models (6Plus and 6s Plus) is said to be longer lasting than the one on 6/6s. Not sure if there's a lot of diff. between the one on 6 and 6s. I have the 6 and use a bunch of apps along with some browsing and calls, the average I get is 20 hours.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 24th May 2016 at 11:12.
Old 24th May 2016, 15:55   #8916
BHPian

Quote:

If you use wifi then you battery will last longer but if you use 3G/4G with constant use then I won't suggest you to buy iPhone 6/6S. If you have extensive use and still want to go for iPhone then try 6/6S+ version. It has greater battery life.

I personally use iPhone 6 64 GB with lots of apps and battery life is pretty good as most of the time I'm connected to wifi.

You will love simpler iOS interface after sometime of use. Go for it if the deal is good.

cheers.
Old 24th May 2016, 21:05   #8917
BHPian

Quote:

If you are bored with Android which is way more customizable than iOS then you will be bored with iOS way sooner.

I use a Droid Turbo 2 and to its ability to fast/turbo charge to 100% in a hour itself is worth choosing that over any iPhone available today. Remember the Droid Turbo 2 has a 3600mAh battery vs the 2750mAh of the iPhones. I don't have to turn off any feature like 4g/wifi/Bluetooth/gps and still get 2 days of battery life. Worst case a quick 30 min charge will get me going for another day easily.

Here's a list of comparison between iPhone and Turbo 2

12mp vs 21mp camera
2gb vs 3gb RAM
128gig vs 200gig storage
FHD vs QHD screen
2750 vs 3760mAh battery

Also the Turbo 2 has a shatterproof screen and feels grippy to hold. There are other nice features in the software that I can go on and on about. the only feature that's missing is the fingerprint sensor. But if that's an absolute need the s7 edge is an alternative option in Android. The S7 edge still has a bigger 3600mAh battery a super battery saver mode and quick charge feature.
Old 25th May 2016, 09:33   #8918
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs , i have decided to take the plunge and give iPhone a try anyway .If i dont like it will switch back to one of the droids when any interesting model comes up , the current ones in the market dont interest me at all .
Old 25th May 2016, 23:55   #8919
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your inputs , i have decided to take the plunge and give iPhone a try anyway .If i dont like it will switch back to one of the droids when any interesting model comes up , the current ones in the market dont interest me at all .

Go for it,I'm sure you will like it. It's very simple interface compared to android. Even I shifted from android to iOS and after sometime I started liking it. And after a year I'm used to iOS now. I can't change my phone now.
Old 26th May 2016, 21:03   #8920
BHPian

Need some advice here. I am in market for a new phone and wanted some opinion before making the purchase. Currently am using a 2013 Nokia Lumia 820 that has served me well for last three years. Absolutely no issues with the phone and am quite happy with the way phone has aged over the years.

Last year, I gifted mom an iphone 5s based on her choice and she is quite happy with it. That was my first interaction with the IOS and I find it much more intuitive compared to Windows. Am not comparing the two operating systems but anyway, after more than three years of ownership, am ready to take the plunge.
I need help of fellow users in identifying the best model to suit my kind of usage and requirements.

1. My current phone has a screen size of approx. 4.7 inches which suits me to the T. Its neither too big making it difficult to carry in your trouser pockets nor too small to reply official mails/read documents. I also find the 5S quite handy to use and carry. I find my current phone dimensions the perfect size to hold, carry and use. Now, the first dilemma is to finalize model based on the screen size (5S vs 6).

2. Am not a heavy app user, in the sense that I do not play games, nor access facebook via the fb app but like to have all the necessary apps installed on the phone to make life easier these days. Rarely only am using the phone for listening music and as such I think I wont be storing much songs also. The camera might be put to good use though. The second question thus is which memory size will be good enough for me.(16/64 GB)

3. The third question is concerning the battery backup. My watsapp usage vary and will be mostly on 2G since we donot have good connections in the area that I travel for works. Apart from that I need to access and answer mails during the day which is easier done on phone while travelling in vehicles than opening your laptop. My current phone drains out very quickly these days and power backup will be an important factor in deciding the model.

4. Lastly, regarding the screen resolution. I really love the clear black display of Lumia 820 and would be disappointed of my new phone doesnot match upto its display.

5. How good are the maps on Iphone compared to Here maps? Do we have the option of accessing google maps too on Iphone?

6. How does 3D touch makes operating 6S different from 6.

7. If I convince myself to go for 5S, should I rather look out for 5SE?

8. My work entails lot of travelling to health facilities in different parts of Rajasthan. I guess the dust wont be an issue using it here after getting a good cover and temper glass?

I know I am asking too much for a phone but despite all limitations WP faced over the years, I still love the clean designs, user interface, fuss free operations and sturdy build quality of my phone and my new phone needs to exceed these expectations.

Please help me in resolving this dilemma. All suggestions and help will be highly appreciated.
Old 26th May 2016, 21:33   #8921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post

1. finalize model based on the screen size (5S vs 6).
It is easy to get adapted with the smaller sized 5S display especially when the hardware of both 5S and 6 is more or less same. If you are okay with 5S display then the only additional thing you get in iphone 6 is the additional snob value and better battery backup.
Quote:
2. Am not a heavy app user, in the sense that I do not play games, nor access facebook via the fb app but like to have all the necessary apps installed on the phone to make life easier these days. Rarely only am using the phone for listening music and as such I think I wont be storing much songs also. The camera might be put to good use though. The second question thus is which memory size will be good enough for me.(16/64 GB)
In my opinion you can manage with 16gb but if at all you decide to buy the 5S then go for the 32 gb variant model. Unfortunately 6 does not have a 32 gb variant.
Quote:
3. The third question is concerning the battery backup. My watsapp usage vary and will be mostly on 2G since we donot have good connections in the area that I travel for works. Apart from that I need to access and answer mails during the day which is easier done on phone while travelling in vehicles than opening your laptop. My current phone drains out very quickly these days and power backup will be an important factor in deciding the model.
iphone 6 provides awesome battery backup. Battery backup is largely usage dependent but I guess the 5S will also last a day with your kind of usage.
Quote:
4. Lastly, regarding the screen resolution. I really love the clear black display of Lumia 820 and would be disappointed of my new phone doesnot match upto its display.
none of the iphones will disappoint you in this department.

Quote:
5. How good are the maps on Iphone compared to Here maps? Do we have the option of accessing google maps too on Iphone?
Google maps work fine in the iphone.
Quote:
6. How does 3D touch makes operating 6S different from 6.
3D touch is more of a gimmick feature currently. Don't buy the 6S for 3D touch, other features like better camera, faster fingerprint sensor and more RAM make it a better phone when compared to iphone 6.
Quote:
7. If I convince myself to go for 5S, should I rather look out for 5SE?
Go for the 5SE only if you want a smaller phone, otherwise I would suggest you to buy the 6S.
Quote:
8. My work entails lot of travelling to health facilities in different parts of Rajasthan. I guess the dust wont be an issue using it here after getting a good cover and temper glass?
These devices are pretty robust and are not as delicate as we think they are. It can easily take the dust even without a cover.

P.S. : I like your Aminoglycoside handle
Old 26th May 2016, 21:42   #8922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post
Now, the first dilemma is to finalize model based on the screen size (5S vs 6).
This is a personal choice, try both out but do get 5SE and not S

Quote:
The second question thus is which memory size will be good enough for me.(16/64 GB)
Been on 16GB for last 4 years, i also don't carry audio and movies. Have about 4GB available which is more than enough for new pictures and videos while travelling.

Quote:
My current phone drains out very quickly these days and power backup will be an important factor in deciding the model.
I haven't come across any mobile device that goes beyond 20-24 hours with my usage, same with iPhone, moderate use it will get through the 24 hours. Heavy usage expect 10-14 hours. Just like any other device.

Quote:
Lastly, regarding the screen resolution. I really love the clear black display of Lumia 820 and would be disappointed of my new phone doesnot match upto its display.
Shouldn't disappoint. Walk into an apple shop and test drive.

Quote:
How good are the maps on Iphone compared to Here maps? Do we have the option of accessing google maps too on Iphone?
Apple maps won't help in India, google maps all the way and now they have offline for iPhone also.

Quote:
How does 3D touch makes operating 6S different from 6.
Slightly easier way to navigate around, thats it. You won't miss this much.

Quote:
If I convince myself to go for 5S, should I rather look out for 5SE?
SE all the way, 5S will not be supported for OS updates... soon.

Quote:
My work entails lot of travelling to health facilities in different parts of Rajasthan. I guess the dust wont be an issue using it here after getting a good cover and temper glass?
Get a good bumper or case which protects the edges and projections which will not let the screen hit if it falls. Rest should work like a charm.
Old 26th May 2016, 22:38   #8923
BHPian

After a lot of research, finally bought the Iphone 5s. Got the 32gb space grey variant from flipkart. This was a long time wish as I always loved the 5s design and I wanted to get the 5s itself, no matter how many new devices come. However, I still waited for the SE as it had the similar 5s looks with better processor. But 39k for a 16gb variant doesn't make any sense, and moreover, 16gb wouldn't even suffice my needs. Have been using the phone since the past week and I'm in love with it. Updated to ios 9.3.2 and the phone feels faster than the previous update. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4, and hell I'm in love with the iPhone 5s's battery backup. I'm a heavy user and with the kind of my usage, the S4 hardly lasted for half day whereas the 5s lasts for a whole day. Gives an usage time of almost 5.5-6hrs. The phone feels really compact and that's the best part about it. Although it took some time for me to get used to it as my S4's screen was bigger. Everybody here suggested to get the MTT tempered glass and I got the same for the 5s. I was quite surprised to see the way it was packaged, felt premium. Fits on the phone perfectly and looks good too. Thank You for the reviews guys, this thread helped a lot while buying the phone.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 27th May 2016, 04:50   #8924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
If you are bored with Android which is way more customizable than iOS then you will be bored with iOS way sooner.
I always wonder why is it such a big deal. An operating system should actually get out of the way of what you want to do with the device which is to use apps, play games and click pictures and I do not know of any other device that does as good as the iPhone.

The only thing that I do not like is that I cannot just copy paste my movies and start watching them on the screen, I have to go through iTunes. But then again, I dont really watch too many movies on a phone.

Quote:
I use a Droid Turbo 2 and to its ability to fast/turbo charge to 100% in a hour itself is worth choosing that over any iPhone available today. Remember the Droid Turbo 2 has a 3600mAh battery vs the 2750mAh of the iPhones. I don't have to turn off any feature like 4g/wifi/Bluetooth/gps and still get 2 days of battery life. Worst case a quick 30 min charge will get me going for another day easily.
I love the fast charging because I also have a Moto X Style but that said, the 2750 mah batter on an iPhone absolutely kills my Android phone, no matter which one it is.

Quote:
Here's a list of comparison between iPhone and Turbo 2

12mp vs 21mp camera
2gb vs 3gb RAM
128gig vs 200gig storage
FHD vs QHD screen
2750 vs 3760mAh battery
Again these are on paper specs and have nothing or very low bearing on how you use the device in real world. There are numerous videos on youtube which have the now 7 month old iPhone kicking the guts of the latest phones in speed of opening apps + multitasking even when they have double the ram and double the processor count. Here's one and bear in mind Samsung is fastest Android phone at the moment.

And frankly even with a 20-20 vision I still cannot see any difference on screen between a 1080p or a Quad HD display of a 5.5 inch diagonal. These number are purely academic and also a reflection of what exactly is wrong with the Android world - specs are everything.

Quote:
Also the Turbo 2 has a shatterproof screen and feels grippy to hold. There are other nice features in the software that I can go on and on about. the only feature that's missing is the fingerprint sensor. But if that's an absolute need the s7 edge is an alternative option in Android. The S7 edge still has a bigger 3600mAh battery a super battery saver mode and quick charge feature.
I would even touch a Samsung phone with that incredibly childish and badly coded TouchWiz UI. If you want to use Android, its either got to be stock Android in a Nexus phone or the almost stock Android in Motorola phone.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th May 2016 at 04:53.
Old 27th May 2016, 08:57   #8925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I always wonder why is it such a big deal. An operating system should actually get out of the way of what you want to do with the device which is to use apps, play games and click pictures and I do not know of any other device that does as good as the iPhone.
+1

I moved from Android to iOS a year and a half ago. I use an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB.

I find the overall experience more seamless, compared to my previous phone. Everything just works, and I don't have to fiddle with anything. And I love the clean UI and the fact that everything I need can be neatly organized on the home-screen itself.

The iPhone Thread-img_2452.jpg

I watch videos (always streaming, and many times during train-travel), use social networking apps and the phone is online 24x7. I think it is reasonable that the battery last 2 days. And since I use the bigger iPad charger, the charging is fast as well.

I like how the phone still feels brand new, and as if it will go on forever. As of now, really happy, and cannot think of switching to any other OS / device. Not too worried about on-paper specs. I would not even have installed Chrome, if it wasn't for the super good web page translations it does (I live in Japan and cannot read Japanese, so it is important for me).

PS: Some of my points may be off the mark (and Android / Windows may actually be better) as I have not checked out any other phones since the switch.

Last edited by Viju : 27th May 2016 at 09:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks