Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 21:56   #8956
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

There is nothing wrong with Touch wiz in recent phones btw. They have evolved a lot. But you wont call it distraction if you know you change to a different launcher of your choice. What flaw in the Android platform are you talking about.
Old 1st June 2016, 07:08   #8957
Team-BHP Support

I have an iPhone as my work phone and a LG G3 is the personal phone. I am extremely happy with both the phones, and most probably will continue with the same combination when I change phones (i.e.; iPhone 6s/7 for work and LG G5 as personal phone). That said, if I have to keep only one phone that will be the iPhone. The user experience and sophistication is quite unmatched IMO. It feels good in hand, every application works so well, and updates just flow in irrespective of the phone model you are using. Even the camera, the MP count maybe low, but it’s so consistent in giving good photos.

And all the above is based on a regular user perspective. I am someone who like the keep the phone stock without any software tweaks or add-ons.
Old 1st June 2016, 09:38   #8958
Distinguished - BHPian

It is obvious to me that when someone is spending between Rs.40-60 thousand on a phone (an amount which is enough to buy a great laptop itself), that.. that decision would be an emotional one.

I saw a beautiful brand positioning video once, it was truthful and sometimes truth exposes the flaw in human thinking. Luxury is emotional.. there is very little to luxury aspect that isn't made of emotions. The human mind connects to a brand sometimes.. for no obvious reasons other than what that individual knows that is unique to his/her favourite brand. That person identifies with the brand, its simplicity or complexity, its heritage or newness, its quality or value.

I'm not an Apple fan, not even remotely - maybe because I don't know as much about it as its real fans do, maybe I'm missing out on its finer specifications and I admit that. I'm a Sony fan and everything in the house from the earphones, to televisions to phones are a Sony.. its because I understand Sony. I wanted a waterproof, dustproof phone with the industry leading camera and hence I couldn't look anywhere else but at the Xperia Z5. Some IP6 users even called the Z5 faster than theirs after operating it, but that's not my point, I'm not here to bash on anything.. I hate Android and I bought it only because Sony uses it by default.

The thing is that only high-end Android phones should be compared with iPhones, the rest should not. Its only then that the comparisons become logical because iOS is restricted only to Apple and each version of Apple was/is the flagship during its time. Androids are distributed in a whole different manner with close to 50 brands having it with gimmicky pricing of certain local manufacturers starting from less than Rs.1000/- (if it isn't true now it sure will be in future) all the way to Rs.50,000/- of Japanese/Korean companies and the Rs.2 lac+ European Vertu mobiles. If you ask me comparisons should then be made on specifications and not OS.
Old 1st June 2016, 09:45   #8959
BHPian

@sunsetorange;@Tanveer_2558;@Pancham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Does pretty much everything, and the camera is a bonus.
Thanks Guys for the info, it is then a 32GB 5s then, getting a good deal on exchange with android. Final price approx 22K after discounts etc.

//Cheers
Old 1st June 2016, 17:00   #8960
BHPian

Hey guys recommend which iphone to get. Thinking of switching over from Lumia 640 XL with 5.7 inch screen.

I am a big music fan and love itunes ease in updating my ipod. I am completely tired of throwing stuff on memory card and then searching for it on the phone. Need same music experience as on my classic, if anything my classic had a phone feature would but that.

I use only 5 apps, play no games, surf internet a lot, rarely take photos, type a lot.

Absolutely hate touch screen keyboards on android and windows. 7 times out of 10 end up typing wrong and because of that got warned couple of times at tbhp - typo errors.

My requirements;

1. Super good keyboard, don't understand swype concept
2. Sound quality as good as ipod classic 5th generation or iphone 4s
3. Good battery life
4. Super good internet browsing experience
5. Awesome email client for work

Would it better to buy blackberry passport or iphone and which version?

Last edited by heydj : 1st June 2016 at 17:01.
Old 1st June 2016, 17:11   #8961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Hey guys recommend which iphone to get. Thinking of switching over from Lumia 640 XL with 5.7 inch screen.

I am a big music fan and love itunes ease in updating my ipod. I am completely tired of throwing stuff on memory card and then searching for it on the phone. Need same music experience as on my classic, if anything my classic had a phone feature would but that.

I use only 5 apps, play no games, surf internet a lot, rarely take photos, type a lot.

Absolutely hate touch screen keyboards on android and windows. 7 times out of 10 end up typing wrong and because of that got warned couple of times at tbhp - typo errors.

My requirements;

1. Super good keyboard, don't understand swype concept
2. Sound quality as good as ipod classic 5th generation or iphone 4s
3. Good battery life
4. Super good internet browsing experience
5. Awesome email client for work

Would it better to buy blackberry passport or iphone and which version?
If you're comfortable with the current 5.7 Lumia, then the 6+ or 6s+ is the natural choice. Since you need to use it for music, do get the 64GB version. I use an iPhone for work email and it just works well
Old 1st June 2016, 17:13   #8962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Got another iPhone 5S 16GB..
I used to have one of these (I got it in 2014). Recently I dropped it and broke it (normally I'd keep a phone for 4 yrs or so) so had to get a new phone. I got the SE version. It's battery life is far better. My old 5s would almost die by 3pm (9am to 3pm) the SE still has 70% when I get home at 6pm.

Same size, same shape, nicer phone. Oh my old 5s was 16GB and the SE is 64GB but I don't think that makes a difference in battery life does it?

Lastly these iPhones are fragile. I have dropped and kicked and drop-kicked my Blackberry Q10 a dozen times and it keeps working. My Nokia before that was even hardier.

What's with the iPhone craze anyway?
Old 1st June 2016, 17:18   #8963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Lastly these iPhones are fragile. I have dropped and kicked and drop-kicked my Blackberry Q10 a dozen times and it keeps working. My Nokia before that was even hardier.

@navin I have now started tilting towards passport

For me iphone craze was never there except I am one of the few people who appreciates itunes.
Old 1st June 2016, 17:21   #8964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
@navin I have now started tilting towards passport

For me iphone craze was never there except I am one of the few people who appreciates itunes.
Yeah I got the iPhone because of iTunes too. Also my ipad and my MacBook as sync pretty well with it. Even so. I think it is overpriced and fragile.

The Passport is touch screen is it? I much prefer the tactile keybaord of the Q10 for emails and WhatsApp.
Old 1st June 2016, 17:28   #8965
tud
BHPian

Airtel users on iPhone - Are you getting this prompt saying /'new carrier setting available, press okay to update". Does anybody know what settings change does this bring?

The last time, I did this update, my 'Enable 3G/2G' button vanished. This feature was restored a year later when 4G was introduced.
Old 1st June 2016, 17:32   #8966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My old 5s would almost die by 3pm (9am to 3pm) the SE still has 70% when I get home at 6pm.
Well. I tried to check the standby time of the iPhone 5S on more than one occassion - keeping it as a stand by phone and the result was quite good.

The iPhone Thread-13198486_1166684446696800_1749424459352121902_o.jpg

The iPhone Thread-13241285_1176667455698499_2855580674890436554_n.jpg

Quote:
If and when I decide to change my phone, it will be an iPhone for sure - Whether it will be a 5SE or 6S / 7, only time will tell.

Currently belting a Micromax Sliver 5, which goes from 100% to 30% in just 5-6 hours on LTE and running all Applications
Old 1st June 2016, 19:28   #8967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Airtel users on iPhone - Are you getting this prompt saying /'new carrier setting available, press okay to update". Does anybody know what settings change does this bring?

The last time, I did this update, my 'Enable 3G/2G' button vanished. This feature was restored a year later when 4G was introduced.
I got that for Vodafone in Pune on my 6; my wife got the same on her 5s as well (she's on Vodafone too).

The network was down on our phone (we couldn't make/receive calls) for about an hour after the update and then everything was nice and dandy.
Old 1st June 2016, 22:22   #8968
Team-BHP Support

Is anyone facing issues updating Google Maps on a 5s? My 6s updated the app to 4.19.1 without a problem but it isn't updating on the 5s. I uninstalled the app and now I can't seem to be able to download it.

Both phones are running on 9.3.2.
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:21   #8969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is anyone facing issues updating Google Maps on a 5s? My 6s updated the app to 4.19.1 without a problem but it isn't updating on the 5s. I uninstalled the app and now I can't seem to be able to download it.

Both phones are running on 9.3.2.
I updated Google Maps on my 5S last evening without any issues. But then again, i am not yet on iOS 9.3.2.
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:55   #8970
Senior - BHPian

I am on 4.19.1 on 5c 16G with iOS 9.3.2. No issues with google maps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks