Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:24   #8986
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Regarding iphone 5s - Is there an option to "not upgrade" to the latest ios? And for how long can one defer it?

Assuming the 5s would become slow with the next software release, and/or not supported in 2017. Wont it be possible to continue using it with the current ios 9?

I am seriously considering it because of its screen size and of course my limited budget. I just use 2/3 apps - whatsapp, evernote etc. No fb, no games. No movie watching on the phone.
Consider:
- certain 4G networks and the location (or lack of sufficient number) of towers might have an adverse impact on the battery life.

If that isn't a concern OR if you can live with charging the phone at least twice a day, then the device should serve you well.
Old 4th June 2016, 08:22   #8987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Regarding iphone 5s - Is there an option to "not upgrade" to the latest ios? And for how long can one defer it?

Assuming the 5s would become slow with the next software release, and/or not supported in 2017. Wont it be possible to continue using it with the current ios 9?

I am seriously considering it because of its screen size and of course my limited budget. I just use 2/3 apps - whatsapp, evernote etc. No fb, no games. No movie watching on the phone.
Why do you want keep the phone without upgrading? I update my 5S to the latest OS, always on either WiFi or 4G, use the regular apps, email etc., never felt that the phone is really slowing down. Especially in your case with just a handful of apps, I should not be a problem at all.
Old 4th June 2016, 17:53   #8988
BHPian

@sairamboko, what is the cash back offer you got for the iPhone? What was the amount and in which site.thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 18:00   #8989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
@sairamboko, what is the cash back offer you got for the iPhone? What was the amount and in which site.thanks

It's an offer available at retail stores only. Apple gives around 11800 cash back and Citibank gives 5000 additional cash back. Basically it's an interest free emi.
Old 5th June 2016, 16:16   #8990
Senior - BHPian

I've got the iPhone SE and been using it for the past month. This is my first iPhone though I have a MacBook Air, iPad and iPod nano. So far it's been great. Still having hiccups with iTunes and unable to download pictures to my windows 10 laptop.
Old 5th June 2016, 18:00   #8991
BHPian

iphone 6s users - hows the battery life in ios 9.3.2? I am getting close to 22 or 23 hours on normal usage of whatapp and facebook, music. I dont use games. Is this normal?
Old 5th June 2016, 23:51   #8992
Team-BHP Support

Any reviews of the SE? I'm planning to switch to it sometime later this year, so no real hurry to buy. I don't use (m)any apps (Email, GMaps, Whatsapp and a couple of others, no music/movies), so what storage option?

All I really want to know is whether it would work a couple years before becoming obsolete (obsolete as in usage issues due to Apple stopping support, not out-of-style, I can live with that).

Please do not suggest I buy any other iPhone as I'm only shifting from my Android due to form-factor requirements, the small(er) screen is perfect for me.
Old 6th June 2016, 06:57   #8993
Senior - BHPian

@Chetan_Rao, if you can live with the 720p display, iPhone SE is amazing. I'm finally using it like a phone and not a device I have to keep modifying or upgrading. But I've used it only since March.
Old 6th June 2016, 08:02   #8994
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Any reviews of the SE? I'm planning to switch to it sometime later this year, so no real hurry to buy. I don't use (m)any apps (Email, GMaps, Whatsapp and a couple of others, no music/movies), so what storage option?

All I really want to know is whether it would work a couple years before becoming obsolete (obsolete as in usage issues due to Apple stopping support, not out-of-style, I can live with that).

Please do not suggest I buy any other iPhone as I'm only shifting from my Android due to form-factor requirements, the small(er) screen is perfect for me.

Hey, if you're not going to be using a lot of multi media, I'd say 16GB would be ideal. But factoring in music and pictures, 16GB would be inadequate. I have been using the iPhone 5s since its launch (almost 3 years now) and no it doesn't hang, isn't slow or laggy, it could very well serve me for another year or two without any doubt. Problem I face is a lot of multimedia which my 32GB also falls short of.
iPhones are an easy choice if you consider even using it for 3 years considering no slow, laggy, bad performance issues arise. Eyes closed go for it, the SE is mearly the 6s with a smaller screen!
And no, it won't become obsolete, support should continue at least for 4-5 years, I still get all updates (few features maybe missing here and there which is nothing major and can be dealt with)

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 6th June 2016 at 08:04.
Old 6th June 2016, 08:13   #8995
BHPian

Facebook is draining battery on my iPhone 6s. Any suggestions to reduce this? Is uninstall the only option?
Old 6th June 2016, 08:51   #8996
BHPian

@sairamboko: uninstall and use the browser for facebook?
Old 6th June 2016, 08:54   #8997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Facebook is draining battery on my iPhone 6s. Any suggestions to reduce this? Is uninstall the only option?
Try turning off background app refresh.
Old 6th June 2016, 09:28   #8998
BHPian

Turned off background app refresh , still drain was there. Now uninstalled it and using safari for now
Old 6th June 2016, 10:21   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

iPhone SE has the same exact hardware, which is the CPU, RAM (very important 2GB) and PCIe based SSD storage as the newest iPhone 6s/6s Plus therefore I do not see it going obsolete for the next 2 years atleast.

The only thing it misses is the 3D Touch and the larger screen which are not show stopper for you. I will say go right ahead and enjoy the device.
Old 6th June 2016, 17:17   #9000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@Chetan_Rao, if you can live with the 720p display.......
Not an issue. I'm not inclined to chase screen resolutions, some of which I literally can't see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Hey, if you're not going to be using a lot of multi media.......
Nope, I hate music playback on most phones. I prefer dedicated media players so my phone will only be used as a communications device. 16 GB sounds decent enough then.
Quote:
And no, it won't become obsolete, support should continue at least for 4-5 years, I still get all updates (few features maybe missing here and there which is nothing major and can be dealt with)
I'm usually one for using devices until they give up the ghost so that's reassuring to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The only thing it misses is the 3D Touch and the larger screen which are not show stopper for you. I will say go right ahead and enjoy the device.
Can live without 3D Touch, and I'm of the minority for which a larger screen is the deal-breaker! I'm actually switching for that sole reason, else I'm pretty happy with my Android for what I need a phone for.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th June 2016 at 17:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks