Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2016, 16:15   #9286
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

My brother wants to purchase iPhone 7 from US. Please assist on following points
  • From where to buy - dedicated apple stores in US or any electronics retailer?
  • Will that phone be usable instantly with his old SIM card or he needs to do unlocking first. We are buying iPhone for first time so no idea about it. Migrating from Note 2.
  • We don't want any existing carriers plan with the phone. It should be usable as soon as we put a sim into it. What type of sim is used in iPhone 7?
  • Is it worth buying from US to save money but loose on the warranty as apple don't provide international warranty. Please advise.
  • Any further suggestions you might want to provide to an first time iPhone buyer who is intending to purchase from US?
Old 18th September 2016, 17:04   #9287
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-booked mine yesterday.

Variant - 7 Plus
Storage - 32GB
Colour - Matte Black
Amount - 5,000/-

As per the dealer, I am the first customer who has booked Matte Black, hence I would get the first Matte Black set to arrive.

They have 11-12 pre-bookings already, and most of them are for Silver, except a couple for Gold, and one for Rose Gold.

No takers for Jet Black yet. Initial feedback is "it's too shiny!"
Old 18th September 2016, 21:43   #9288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My brother wants to purchase iPhone 7 from US. Please assist on following points
1. Dedicated Apple Store is the safest buy. However you need to check the In-Store availability for your desired color/variant. You can buy online too from Apple website but shipping would take some time. Jet blacks are shipping no earlier than late October.

2. If you buy the unlocked version (paying full price) it will be usable instantly with any SIM card/carrier even when the phone comes to India. No specific unlocking/activation required if you buy the unlocked version.

3. iPhone by default will come with a choice of 4 carriers even in the unlocked version. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon. But that doesn't mean its tied to that network. For Sprint and Verizon, you will need an account. You can buy T-Mobile/AT&T version. You can start using your carrier right away.

4. Well, the price difference is going to be substantial. So choice is yours. Warranty vs Value.
Old 18th September 2016, 21:54   #9289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Put in a pre booking amount for the 7 plus 128 GB Jet Black today. Hope to get it on midnight of launch day 😀

Upgrading from 5s to 7 Plus. Let's see how it goes.

Was really very undecided until the last moment about which of the blacks to go for, but finally went with the Jet Black.
I watched a youtube review which mentioned that the "jet black" is attracting fingerprints. What's your take on it?
Old 18th September 2016, 22:08   #9290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I watched a Youtube review which mentioned that the "jet black" is attracting fingerprints. What's your take on it?

It does catch fingerprints easily agreed, but if you see some posts back I have posted a solution for the same. Since that does solve the fingerprint problem, I believe it is the colour worth having.
Old 19th September 2016, 08:33   #9291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any is fine: Apple Store, Apple online, stores such as Target/Best Buy, or carrier stores such AT&T.

But,

If you buy from one of the carrier stores, even if you pay full-price, you need to get it unlocked. It is just a formality but generally takes a day or two.

Typically, carrier stores and Apple stores/online have a larger probability of availability.

Quote:
  • Is it worth buying from US to save money but loose on the warranty as apple don't provide international warranty. Please advise.
The price differential is generally quite large. In Jan '15, I got my iPhone 6 64 GB for $ 801 which at that time was 48k, considering currency conversion. The same in India was about 64k INR.

I haven't yet come across anyone whose iPhone broke within a year.

Quote:
  • Any further suggestions you might want to provide to an first time iPhone buyer who is intending to purchase from US?
US or anywhere, do get tempered glass (applies to any phone actually).

Also, if you buy an iPhone in the US and set it up there, the region for apps will the US so when he comes to India, he might not find some apps. He'll have to change the region for the App Store.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 19th September 2016 at 08:36.
Old 19th September 2016, 08:36   #9292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
It does catch fingerprints easily agreed, but if you see some posts back I have posted a solution for the same. Since that does solve the fingerprint problem, I believe it is the colour worth having.
I checked out the Jet black 7 plus on the weekend; it’s kind of a throwback to the old 3Gs.
Fingerprints are not a problem, but it may highlight scratches easily. I use my phones without any add-on cover/case and hence looking at the 7 in regular black.
Old 19th September 2016, 10:16   #9293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I checked out the Jet black 7 plus on the weekend; it’s kind of a throwback to the old 3Gs.

Fingerprints are not a problem, but it may highlight scratches easily. I use my phones without any add-on cover/case and hence looking at the 7 in regular black.

Even I don't plan to use any cover on the phone, but will get a clear coat over the phone, as shown in the post 9283.

I believe that offers perfect balance of function as well as aesthetics.

By the way I did pay 15k for pre booking the phone. Since it was not in an official apple reseller store. Other members seem to have all paid 5k as the standard amount for that.
Old 19th September 2016, 11:54   #9294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even the official Apple product page highlights this:

Quote:
"its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use"
A snapshot to show the shade variation between the 2 Blacks:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th September 2016 at 11:56.
Old 19th September 2016, 13:04   #9295
BHPian

Quote:
I guess your requirement is an unlocked phone , just to go any apple store or apple.com and buy any iPhone at full price and they are going to be unlocked . Please note that the new iPhone's do not have 3.5mm headphone ports . If you are planning to use your existing headphones they would not work in newer iPhone's . Also cross check the LTE bands for the iPhone that you are purchasing with LTE bands available for your network in India. From what i understand iPhone 6s and newer models support most of the LTE bands that are compatible with bands available in India.

Last edited by csnanjappa : 19th September 2016 at 13:10.
Old 19th September 2016, 13:07   #9296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Please note that the new iPhone's do not have 3.5mm headphone ports . If you are planning to use your existing headphones they would not work in newer iPhone's .
The required lightning to 3.5 mm connector comes with the pack, so this is not an issue, only thing you have an additional wire attachment in between.
Old 19th September 2016, 13:57   #9297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I haven't yet come across anyone whose iPhone broke within a year.

My screen had become loose from an edge, and was popping out slightly. Thanks to indian warranty, it got replaced in a day. Not a single mark on the phone, which may denote physical abuse at that time.
Old 19th September 2016, 14:03   #9298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The required lightning to 3.5 mm connector comes with the pack, so this is not an issue, only thing you have an additional wire attachment in between.
My complaint. Though not advisable, on rare and urgent situations I use my phone while charging. I am not comfortable sticking my phone to my ear and use the earphones to keep the phone a couple of feet away from me. This won't be possible on the 7. Apple is trying to force people to splurge even more money and get those Airpods to handle such situation.
Old 20th September 2016, 15:22   #9299
BHPian

Guys, I am seeing good reviews on the MTT tempered glass in this thread. I am planning to buy the one in the link below for my Iphone 6s. Is this the same one?

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00RK68536/r...I2U0F6QD3KAT1P
Old 20th September 2016, 17:40   #9300
BHPian

iphone 7 plus or 6s plus?

Is the iphone 6s plus a good buy now. I want to give my dad a fuss free phone which will last through the day. Primary use is for calls (Really lot of them, close 5 hours a day), Whatsapp and camera once in while. Screen visibility in outdoors is must

He is currently using a One Plus One for the last 21 months and it has quite a few issues which pop at random. Will keep that as a spare

Iphones do age well that is why we are considering that. I am hoping for an investment that will last for atleast 3 years. How long does the battery last

Most Viewed