Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 15:28   #9406
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Should I buy any accessories like a screen protector - for protecting from falls - and a grip ?
Don't waste money on rubbish like screen protectors. A decent case may be a good idea. To protect your screen all you need is to follow some common sense practises like keeping your phone in a different pocket from coins, keys or any other hard, sharp-edged objects.
Old 6th October 2016, 15:40   #9407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally purchased an iphone 5s from snapdeal for 16.5 K after discounts.
Should I buy any accessories like a screen protector - for protecting from falls - and a grip ?
I did the same a month ago after having had Nexus phones for over 5 years wanted something different, so bought a 5s to see if iOS is for me. I moved from a Nexus 5 and can say I don't regret it so far except the storage.

I suggest you pick up a MTT tempered glass and a transparent case from amazon.

PS: I downloaded Google photos and uploaded all my pics to the cloud, once done I used the 'Free up Space' option and it cleared up over 2 gb of space, a boon for 16gb phones!
Old 6th October 2016, 15:48   #9408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Don't waste money on rubbish like screen protectors. A decent case may be a good idea. To protect your screen all you need is to follow some common sense practises like keeping your phone in a different pocket from coins, keys or any other hard, sharp-edged objects.
I'm not worried about scratches . What I'm worried about is a fall that would crack the display. My previous android phones were in the 5K entry range so never bothered to have a tempered glass, but this one is more expensive.

Are there any specs on the iphone 5s glass - like "shatterproof" or can survive a fall from XXX height ? I assume not, that's why I thought of a tempered glass.
Old 6th October 2016, 15:55   #9409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Damm, Lucky you, I have decided to drop the idea of getting the jet black, Wont be available anytime soon + Have to handle it with care, Made me turn my decision towards the matt black 128Gb 7 plus which i would mostly get on 7th itself, Lets see fingers crossed.

I would still suggest if you can, do wait for the Jet Black. You will not regret it. It is the signature product this year. You cannot differentiate where the screen ends and the body begins.

Agreed that it has to be taken care of, but who wouldn't take care of a phone which costs them 82 grand!

Using a clear coat, would anyhow protect your phone and keep that look intact.

So think about it. My suggestion- do wait.
Old 6th October 2016, 15:57   #9410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not worried about scratches . What I'm worried about is a fall that would crack the display. My previous android phones were in the 5K entry range so never bothered to have a tempered glass, but this one is more expensive.

Are there any specs on the iphone 5s glass - like "shatterproof" or can survive a fall from XXX height ? I assume not, that's why I thought of a tempered glass.
A screen protector is ONLY good for scratch protection. It cannot magically save the screen from shattering if the phone's chassis takes a big hit from a drop. For that you need to protect the entire body of the phone with a decent case with edge protection, especially. There are no specs on screen shatter worthyness. Take care of it and it won't break.
Old 6th October 2016, 16:04   #9411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
A screen protector is ONLY good for scratch protection. It cannot magically save the screen from shattering if the phone's chassis takes a big hit from a drop. For that you need to protect the entire body of the phone with a decent case with edge protection, especially. There are no specs on screen shatter worthyness. Take care of it and it won't break.
A tempered glass screen protects from a shatter, atleast the decent ones do. I have had my phones literally being thrown screen down and only the tempered glass gives way - the screen remains intact.
Old 6th October 2016, 16:07   #9412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would definitely recommend getting a tempered glass protector. I had one on my 5s and I've had the phone drop a few times, and only the tempered glass protector cracked. Of course the screen is stronger than the tempered glass protector, but apart from scratches I think it cushions impacts as well.

I would recommend getting a case/cover for overall protection of the remaining body.

And PS the camera is definitely good, I've managed to get some stunning (for a phone) shots from the 5s. But it does get a little noisy in low light or photos that you may edit a bit. One tip, the photos might appear great in the phone, but put it on a bigger screen like a PC and you will see some degradation in quality. The screen makes the photos look better than they are actually.
Old 6th October 2016, 16:09   #9413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
....I'm the second person in queue. He mentioned to me 3 days back, that Apple has sent a circular telling them not to book the jet black anymore.

But thankfully I will get it day after tomorrow only.
Are you sure? Asking because - my wife pre-ordered a Jet Black IP7 Plus at a Delhi Apple store on the day pre-bookings opened and she has received a call today informing that there will be no Jet Black phones available tomorrow at any Apple store (as none were shipped by Apple in the first lot) and we may have to wait till the second lot hits the stores...
Old 6th October 2016, 16:36   #9414
Senior - BHPian

I'm on my seventh iPhone and have NEVER had a screen protector of any sort and have had my phones fall several times over the years and never broken a screen, so anybody who attributes their screen not shattering to a screen protector is guessing, at best. The fact that the glass protector breaks will itself tell you that it's a waste of money. There is no proof that a screen protector will protect your screen from shattering. It's one more useless accessory to waste money on.

There is also no way a screen protector can cushion the phone from impact because the vast majority of phone breakages occur due to damage taking place at the edge of the phone, from where the pressure exerted on the entire chassis is the greatest. Only a well padded bumper / case can cushion the phone from such damage.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 6th October 2016 at 16:39.
Old 6th October 2016, 16:54   #9415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally purchased an iphone 5s from snapdeal for 16.5 K after discounts. It's outdated , but none of the other iphones were within my budget. Wanted to try out the apple ecosystem from android. Another reason for buying was the camera that has good reviews.

Got a 5s for my wife couple of months back, she wanted a compact phone like the 4S so 6 and 6 Plus were ruled out. The problem with iPhone is they are very delicate to falls and a right fall from a few feet can shatter the screen, The tempered glass is the best option. I dropped my 6 in the first week I bought it, luckily it was a small dent, this immediately made me buy a case(I feel strongly that the case robs the look of the phone). I then in months dropped the phone again, this time the screen cracked. Luckily it was a hairline crack and apple had a free replacement offer on 6 and 6 plus due to bend gate issue. I was lucky to get a new replacement, since then I have used the most ugly looking but strong case and a tempered glass screen guard. This screen guard would require a replacement every 2-3 months but its better to replace a screen guard than the whole screen.

Pramod
Old 6th October 2016, 17:35   #9416
Senior - BHPian

Well, maybe you've just been unlucky and I've been lucky, in that case. I know I will never spend money on a screen protector. A good case is a good idea, though.
Old 6th October 2016, 18:59   #9417
Team-BHP Support

I have owned couple of iPhones and always invested in a case or bumper with projected lips, to protect the screen and body. Yes screen does loose that olio coating thing and gets some usage scars over couple of years, but do serve well otherwise.

Screen protectors help when it falls flat on screen, small stones etc that can otherwise pierce and crack the glass are kept at bay by them. A nasty fall on the edge though will take the screen glass, even if you have screen protectors so i felt a good bumper is a worthier investment.

After spending obnoxious amount of money on phone, last thing i want is to waste those gorgeous screen clarity with protectors. :P
Old 6th October 2016, 19:32   #9418
BHPian

I totally agree with Jaggu and kbk_75. Screen protectors, even the good ones, don't serve a great purpose and do spoil the look of the phone. A bumper case is a much better option and it provides very good protection to the phone. Have been using a transparent bumper case from Spigen since a few months on my 6S and it has taken quite a few falls rather well. No damage on the phone whatsoever. Worth the money you pay for the case. I guess MTT also has a similar bumper case which costs a bit lesser.
Old 6th October 2016, 19:41   #9419
Distinguished - BHPian

I just ordered a Iphone 6s Gold 16Gb in flip kart. When i ordered the price was Rs 39,990. Now on the same link the price for the very same model is Rs 45,490! I got a confirmation sms of my order for the price i ordered and they offered an exchange rate of Rs 9,000 for my existing Iphone 5 ! So i need to pay Rs 31,040 as a final deal. (Rs 50 will be delivery/pick up charges). If all goes right and they deliver me as promised, i guess its a good deal. Hope to get it by 18th October as mentioned by them.

Last edited by Samba : 6th October 2016 at 19:46.
Old 6th October 2016, 20:16   #9420
BHPian

@Samba me too. Ordered the 6s plus 16gb for 48k. After that price shot to 52k. Its a good deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks